Did Sweden end up taking the best approach?

260,787 Views | 1675 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Enzomatic
Squadron7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beat40 said:

So, here's the question regarding Sweden. What's their hospital situation like right now and projected to be? I haven't

That's one of the main drivers of the lockdowns, correct? Not to overrun hospitals being the main driver while having time to stock up on PPE and find treatments.

Good question: The argument against the Swedish policy is that the hospitals get over-run. But if their hospitals are not overrun then why the disparate numbers from their neighbors?
Pumpkinhead
AG
DTP02 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

HotardAg07 said:

I agree with posters that more time is required before passing some final judgement on Sweden's approach, but as of right now (April 16th) it is becoming more difficult to argue in favor of what they are doing, compared to their immediate neighbor countries.

It depends. Sweden is doing the best job of trying to flatten the curve to this point. They've kept more of their society and economy open, but their hospitals haven't been close to their breaking point. It's hard for some to remember, but that was the original goal when we all started our various measures to slow the spread.

But the goalposts people are using now have moved. We've gone from "flatten the curve" to, in many people's minds, trying to eliminate as many deaths as possible. That wasn't really the goal when we started this.

So, according to the original criteria we all started with, Sweden has actually done a better job than the other Scandinavian countries precisely because they've allowed the virus to progress thru their population a little more, while staying well on the safe side of the line re healthcare capacity.

When most of the world is about to start looking more like Sweden as things start to reopen in the next few weeks, it's actually hard to argue against what Sweden has done at this point:

"Sweden did this all wrong. Let's loosen things up like Sweden."

We're all going to be dancing the razor's edge of loosening restrictions while monitoring to make sure things don't get so out of hand we get overwhelmed. Sweden just seems to have started that process weeks earlier than the rest of us.

In the absence of an established game-changing treatment protocol, they're that many weeks closer than the rest of us toward the endgame of herd immunity. If we do get an established treatment protocol in the next few weeks, then you can easily argue that Sweden would have been better off being more strict.
DTP02, how are they doing better than Finland and Norway right now 'flattening' the curve thus far? Those death total curves don't show they are. If Finland and Norway's health care systems are similarly not overwhelmed, but Sweden's deaths per capita is 5X+ more than those two countries, I don't know how as of now anybody can point to Sweden definitely doing a better job than its neighbors (yet). So nobody has had their hospital system overwhelmed but 5X more people are dying in Sweden per capita so Sweden's approach is best? I guess a year from now we can look back and judge better.
Duncan Idaho
Squadron7 said:

Beat40 said:

So, here's the question regarding Sweden. What's their hospital situation like right now and projected to be? I haven't

That's one of the main drivers of the lockdowns, correct? Not to overrun hospitals being the main driver while having time to stock up on PPE and find treatments.

Good question: The argument against the Swedish policy is that the hospitals get over-run. But if their hospitals are not overrun then why the disparate numbers from their neighbors?

The argument against Sweden's approach isnt just that the hospitals get overrun. It is that the BEST case you have 1-2% of your population die. If the hospitals get over run, you are looking at 2-20% dieing.

The sane first world countries are working towards strategies of containment through testing/tracing/quarantine of the infected.
California Ag 90
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Squadron7 said:

Beat40 said:

The argument against Sweden's approach isnt just that the hospitals get overrun. It is that the BEST case you have 1-2% of your population die. If the hospitals get over run, you are looking at 2-20% dieing.

The sane first world countries are working towards strategies of containment through testing/tracing/quarantine of the infected.
other than South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Taiwan, are there any other sane countries by this definition?

i'm not sure about your 2-20% population number dying if hospitals overrun. 20% of cases, ok maybe, but 20% of the population?

We're from North California, and South Alabam
and little towns all around this land...
DTP02
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

DTP02 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

HotardAg07 said:

I agree with posters that more time is required before passing some final judgement on Sweden's approach, but as of right now (April 16th) it is becoming more difficult to argue in favor of what they are doing, compared to their immediate neighbor countries.

It depends. Sweden is doing the best job of trying to flatten the curve to this point. They've kept more of their society and economy open, but their hospitals haven't been close to their breaking point. It's hard for some to remember, but that was the original goal when we all started our various measures to slow the spread.

But the goalposts people are using now have moved. We've gone from "flatten the curve" to, in many people's minds, trying to eliminate as many deaths as possible. That wasn't really the goal when we started this.

So, according to the original criteria we all started with, Sweden has actually done a better job than the other Scandinavian countries precisely because they've allowed the virus to progress thru their population a little more, while staying well on the safe side of the line re healthcare capacity.

When most of the world is about to start looking more like Sweden as things start to reopen in the next few weeks, it's actually hard to argue against what Sweden has done at this point:

"Sweden did this all wrong. Let's loosen things up like Sweden."

We're all going to be dancing the razor's edge of loosening restrictions while monitoring to make sure things don't get so out of hand we get overwhelmed. Sweden just seems to have started that process weeks earlier than the rest of us.

In the absence of an established game-changing treatment protocol, they're that many weeks closer than the rest of us toward the endgame of herd immunity. If we do get an established treatment protocol in the next few weeks, then you can easily argue that Sweden would have been better off being more strict.
DTP02, how are they doing better than Finland and Norway right now 'flattening' the curve thus far? Those death total curves don't show they are. If Finland and Norway's health care systems are similarly not overwhelmed, but Sweden's deaths per capita is 5X+ more than those two countries, I don't know how as of now anybody can point to Sweden definitely doing a better job than its neighbors (yet). So nobody has had their hospital system overwhelmed but 5X more people are dying in Sweden per capita so Sweden's approach is best? I guess a year from now we can look back and judge better.

Because the whole goal of "flattening the curve" was to keep the curve below the line where the healthcare system gets overwhelmed. Remember that?

Again, think back to when this all started. I know it's tough to remember because the dialogue has completely shifted in recent weeks.

The goal was never to keep the curve as flat as possible, trying to avoid deaths at all costs and dragging it out until a vaccine can be found. That's not the understanding that any of us had at the beginning of this. There wasn't a single person on here or really anywhere that said "our goal is to have an extremely flat curve that extends out for years."

In fact, the "ideal" approach was initially assumed to be one that allowed the infection to progress, so long as we stayed underneath that critical line, so that herd immunity could begin to be established.

Sweden is doing a better job of the kind of "flattening the curve" that all of those nice graphs shows us at the beginning of this. It's still supposed to be a curve.

Their more restrictive neighbors have a curve that is too flat relative to the initial goal. This results in less deaths in the short term, but also less progress toward the endgame and more economic pain.
Squadron7
AG
Quote:

This doesn't answer the question. Swedish hospitals are not overrun right now. Until they are overrun why would their mortality numbers be worse than those of their neighbors?
Duncan Idaho
California Ag 90 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Squadron7 said:

Beat40 said:

other than South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Taiwan, are there any other sane countries by this definition?

i'm not sure about your 2-20% population number dying if hospitals overrun. 20% of cases, ok maybe, but 20% of the population?

What is the latest numbers on hospitalization rates? I thought it was 20% needed supplimental O2 or ICU. I edit my post based on the newer numbers.

The number of total infected if you take a wildfire approach to get to Herd Imunity will much higher. This approach will cause you to run way past the threshold. u
Under a Sweden approach it will be closer to everyone getting infected vs most getting infected.

And yes, Taiwan, soko and hong kong are the only sane countries out there. They have it as under control as possible and have a functional economies.
DTP02
AG
Squadron7 said:

Beat40 said:

Because their infection rate is much higher. Higher infection rate means more deaths, but also more progress toward herd immunity.
Complete Idiot
Squadron7 said:

Quote:

This doesn't answer the question. Swedish hospitals are not overrun right now. Until they are overrun why would their mortality numbers be worse than those of their neighbors?
Because they have not limited exposure and allowed more people to get sick now rather than later, and one possibility is that later there are additional treatments or even a vaccine available. AS mentioned before, we can't really judge any nation's response yet and probably won't be able to with accuracy for a year or more.
Squadron7
AG
DTP02 said:

Squadron7 said:

Beat40 said:

Because their infection rate is much higher. Higher infection rate means more deaths, but also more progress toward herd immunity.

Number of cases should be higher, sure. But my question is this: Why would Sweden's Case Fatality Rate be so much higher before hospitals are overrun?
Gordo14
That's not exactly it. The goal was to not just to avoid our medical infrastructure from being overwhelmed, but it was also to build up our testing infrastructure and get a handle on the virus so that it's out of control. Once thay genie is out of the bottle there is no going back. There is a very calculated and measured path forward and just because you only heard what you want to hear and refuse to use critical thinking on the best path forward does not mean "goal posts have been moved". Furthermore, we still have a lot to learn about this virus so we would be idiots to not adjust as we learn things about this virus. But I'm sure that would qualify as "moving goal posts" to people too stubborn to actually think about it. "Moving the goal posts" is just a useless phrase to shut down critical thinking.

There is a possible outcome where we get a handle of this virus until we get a vaccine and have measured steps towards reopening a large portion of the economy without the curve taking off on us again. And there's a possible outcome where Sweden gets the majority of their population sick and humans don't get permenant immunity from the coronavirus (like all of the other 4 coronavirus) after infection so they are basically permenantly sick until we get a vaccine. We always have the chance to to Sweden's route if we have to, but Sweden will never be able to turn back to our route if they wait much longer. The virus RNA will be too prevalent in their society.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

Their more restrictive neighbors have a curve that is too flat. This results in less deaths in the short term, but also less progress toward the endgame and more economic pain.
That, in particular, is an assumption that's far from proven.
Pumpkinhead
AG
April 16th Article out of the UK today on Sweden:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8226009/Sweden-sees-new-surge-coronavirus-cases-613-infections-482-yesterday.html

Quote:

Sweden has seen a renewed spike in coronavirus cases today after another 613 people tested positive.
The 613 new cases mark the biggest jump for seven days and the third-largest since the crisis began, taking Sweden's total from 11,927 to 12,540.
Deaths were up by 130, the second-highest daily death toll after yesterday's 170, bringing the total from 1,203 to 1,333.
Sweden is continuing to hold out against a national lockdown despite growing criticism and calls for 'rapid and radical measures' to contain the outbreak.

Sq 17
cfr goes up because higher prevalence in the community means more of the sick and elderly will become exposed. Right now only a few local nursing facility have the covid so nursing home deaths are still relatively low. If the goal is too get herd immunity quickly , then lots of olds will die. Maybe the olds die anyway,

Higher infection rates in the populous mean a higher percentage of nursing facilities will become infected.
TXAggie2011
AG
Sweden just had another bad day it seems. 630 new positives, their 3rd highest daily case count. (And 2nd highest death count, yesterday being the highest.) Their official reporting is perplexing to me, but that's according to Worldometers.

If Sweden's goal is to bite the bullet, then at some point, their curve shouldn't be flat, it should come down. Its not clear yet that's happening in earnest.
Pumpkinhead
AG
DTP02, I don't see how folks can yet argue that Sweden is doing a better job 'flattening' the curve when it doesn't yet look like their curve has even flattened.

Finland on the other hand looks like they've not only flattened their curve in new cases, but may even be on the downward slope on the other side.
Sq 17
for the curve to go flat the infected rate needs to be above 35% and some estimtes say in excess of 65% not sure if any country has the stomach to let it run that far. The population will start mitigating risk as the infected rate increases so the experiment of letting it run is self limitting
DTP02
AG
Gordo14 said:

That's not exactly it. The goal was to not just to avoid our medical infrastructure from being overwhelmed, but it was also to build up our testing infrastructure and get a handle on the virus so that it's out of control. Once thay genie is out of the bottle there is no going back. There is a very calculated and measured path forward and just because you only heard what you want to hear and refuse to use critical thinking on the best path forward does not mean "goal posts have been moved". Furthermore, we still have a lot to learn about this virus so we would be idiots to not adjust as we learn things about this virus. But I'm sure that would qualify as "moving goal posts" to people too stubborn to actually think about it. "Moving the goal posts" is just a useless phrase to shut down critical thinking.

There is a possible outcome where we get a handle of this virus until we get a vaccine and have measured steps towards reopening a large portion of the economy without the curve taking off on us again. And there's a possible outcome where Sweden gets the majority of their population sick and humans don't get permenant immunity from the coronavirus (like all of the other 4 coronavirus) after infection so they are basically permenantly sick until we get a vaccine. We always have the chance to to Sweden's route if we have to, but Sweden will never be able to turn back to our route if they wait much longer. The virus RNA will be too prevalent in their society.

I won't get personal with you like you chose to with me, but I think I'll stick with my ability to think critically.

I can only write it for you, I can't read it. I already said on this thread that the US hitting pause was generally the right idea for the purpose of building up testing capacity and procuring PPE, as well as working on treatment protocols, although for many parts of the country it was probably more counterproductive. The great ventilator shortage is looking like a nonissue regardless.

The goal posts absolutely have been moved. A month ago we were all in "get the curve down to 'this' acceptable level" mode. Now, many/most of those same people are in "get the death rate down as low as possible" mode.

Remains to be seen which strategic decision proved correct, but there are plenty of decisions being made on this not because they are the correct decision, but because they are the easiest decision politically. That was the case early on, when politicians in NY weren't nearly proactive enough, and that's the case now.
DTP02
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

Their more restrictive neighbors have a curve that is too flat. This results in less deaths in the short term, but also less progress toward the endgame and more economic pain.

I was clearly talking about as of now. I don't think it's debatable that the tradeoffs to this point of Sweden vs Finland have been less death on one side, and more progress toward immunity + less economic pain (not to mention societal disruption) on the other side.
DTP02
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

DTP02, I don't see how folks can yet argue that Sweden is doing a better job 'flattening' the curve when it doesn't yet look like their curve has even flattened.

Finland on the other hand looks like they've not only flattened their curve in new cases, but may even be on the downward slope on the other side.

I'm using the definition we were all working with at the beginning of this. Sweden is weeks into its approach and there is no threat of this overwhelming their healthcare system. That was the goal originally, remember? No question about that, right?

Finland really hasn't flattened its curve, under our original understanding of what that meant, so much as ended the progress of it. If a treatment develops in the near future, they will be glad of their approach. If they end up having to ride this out, they will be almost as vulnerable as when they started as soon as they loosen things up.
TXAggie2011
AG
DTP02 said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

I was clearly talking about as of now. I don't think it's debatable that the tradeoffs to this point of Sweden vs Finland have been less death on one side, and more progress toward immunity + less economic pain (not to mention societal disruption) on the other side.
Okay. I don't think that's clear at all, but okay.
PJYoung
AG
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/15/sweden-coronavirus-death-toll-reaches-1000

That article gives a great outline of what is happening in Sweden. It seems to all be going according to plan so far, not without complaints.

Quote:

While authorities have closed senior high schools and banned gatherings of more than 50 people, they have asked rather than ordered people to avoid non-essential travel, work from home and stay indoors if they are over 70 or are feeling ill.

Statistics show roughly half the Swedish workforce is now working from home, public transport usage has fallen by 50% in Stockholm and the capital's streets are about 70% less busy than usual but Swedes are still able to shop, go to restaurants, get haircuts and send children under 16 to class even if a family member is ill.

The government's refusal to close primary and junior high schools and authorities' insistence that only children who are themselves ill may stay at home has caused some families and teachers particular concern, staff and parent groups have said.
-----
Some experts have speculated that Sweden's approach to managing the spread of the virus may also be influenced by its demographic profile more than 50% of households are single-person and relatively low population density of about 25 people per square kilometre, compared with, for example, 205 in Italy and 259 in the UK.

Although the longer-term impact is obviously unknown, Sweden's strategy is not expected to preserve the country's economy this year any more than those of countries imposing stricter lockdowns: Magdalena Andersson, the finance minister, said on Wednesday GDP could shrink by 10% this year and unemployment rise to 13.5%.
---
The chief epidemiologist has repeatedly stressed that the world is in uncharted territory with the coronavirus, arguing that while Sweden might have more infections in the short term, it will not face the risk of a huge infection increase that many other countries might face once their strict lockdowns are lifted.

Sq 17
depending on who you choose to listen to determines where you thought the goalposts were and if they have been moved. Personally I allways felt that short term goals were too not have many locations look like Northern Italy, allow for PPE to supplies to catch up to demand , increase testing and to possibly find an effective treatment to keep people out of the ICU and the morque.

Mission mostly accomplished Nola, Albany GA, and the Pork plant in SD are the exceptions and I am glad we can count the new hot spots on one hand. PPE less of an issue, testing is ramping up , there are some promising treatments that may have preliminary results by june

With a month of data there is no consensus on what the next goal should be I will go as far as saying that waiting for a vaccine is not realistic and would definitely be moving the goalpost
TXAggie2011
AG
That's an important summary, as I think the work being done to slow the virus in Sweden is often underestimated. And the benefit of their approach to the economy is probably often overestimated, as well.

Quote:

Although the longer-term impact is obviously unknown, Sweden's strategy is not expected to preserve the country's economy this year any more than those of countries imposing stricter lockdowns: Magdalena Andersson, the finance minister, said on Wednesday GDP could shrink by 10% this year and unemployment rise to 13.5%.
DTP02
AG
PJYoung said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/15/sweden-coronavirus-death-toll-reaches-1000

That article gives a great outline of what is happening in Sweden. It seems to all be going according to plan so far, not without complaints.

Quote:

While authorities have closed senior high schools and banned gatherings of more than 50 people, they have asked rather than ordered people to avoid non-essential travel, work from home and stay indoors if they are over 70 or are feeling ill.

Statistics show roughly half the Swedish workforce is now working from home, public transport usage has fallen by 50% in Stockholm and the capital's streets are about 70% less busy than usual but Swedes are still able to shop, go to restaurants, get haircuts and send children under 16 to class even if a family member is ill.

The government's refusal to close primary and junior high schools and authorities' insistence that only children who are themselves ill may stay at home has caused some families and teachers particular concern, staff and parent groups have said.
-----
Some experts have speculated that Sweden's approach to managing the spread of the virus may also be influenced by its demographic profile more than 50% of households are single-person and relatively low population density of about 25 people per square kilometre, compared with, for example, 205 in Italy and 259 in the UK.

---
The chief epidemiologist has repeatedly stressed that the world is in uncharted territory with the coronavirus, arguing that while Sweden might have more infections in the short term, it will not face the risk of a huge infection increase that many other countries might face once their strict lockdowns are lifted.

The biggest thing Sweden has likely accomplished in its approach is with keeping kids in school. Think about what that probably means for a minute.

Unless their kids are exponentially more fastidious than US kids (and I can't speak for the Scandinavians, but German kids are wilder and nastier than most US kids, while the adults are probably closer to Swedes), they have probably made great progress toward establishing a robust herd immunity among schoolchildren. That's a huge part of the battle in herd immunity, because kids can be such a vector for infection.

Compare that to the US approach, where we have I think about 15% of the population as school age. More if you add college kids. If we had largely kept kids in school but isolated at risk teachers and kids living with at risk parents, we may have been able to achieve a huge chunk of herd immunity without anything close to a commensurate increase in mortality.

We were so concerned about overwhelming a hospital system that won'r come close to being overwhelmed in the vast majority of the country, we may have missed an opportunity to eliminate (not the Chinese usage!) a critical percentage of the population from being carriers. Think about the economic implications of that as well.

Shutting down college classes made even less sense than shutting down k-12, because they live almost exclusively with other college kids. With the restaurants and bars all shut down, they weren't likely to get anyone older infected. Faculty and staff would need PPE and distancing, but that's doable.

In fact, the best thing we could probably do is send all the kids in the country to a three-week summer camp right now with college age camp counselors and let the infection run amok.

Before you dismiss the thought of what might have been regarding our approach to schools, check out this article and embedded video from a NY epidemiologist who says we're doing this all wrong:

https://www.aier.org/article/stand-up-for-your-rights-says-professor-knut-m-wittkowski/
California Ag 90
AG

Quote:

Sweden's strategy is not expected to preserve the country's economy this year any more than those of countries imposing stricter lockdowns: Magdalena Andersson, the finance minister, said on Wednesday GDP could shrink by 10% this year and unemployment rise to 13.5%.

good article but the logic of this statement escapes me.

nobody anywhere thinks any country was ever going to escape this disaster unscathed economically.

but straight logic would dictate that a country that closes up less than another will experience less economic contraction. it will still have a lot of pain, but less than a lockdown country, especially depending on what happens when the lockdown country reopens.

Gordo14
DTP02 said:

Gordo14 said:

I won't get personal with you like you chose to with me, but I think I'll stick with my ability to think critically.

I can only write it for you, I can't read it. I already said on this thread that the US hitting pause was generally the right idea for the purpose of building up testing capacity and procuring PPE, as well as working on treatment protocols, although for many parts of the country it was probably more counterproductive. The great ventilator shortage is looking like a nonissue regardless.

The goal posts absolutely have been moved. A month ago we were all in "get the curve down to 'this' acceptable level" mode. Now, many/most of those same people are in "get the death rate down as low as possible" mode.

Remains to be seen which strategic decision proved correct, but there are plenty of decisions being made on this not because they are the correct decision, but because they are the easiest decision politically. That was the case early on, when politicians in NY weren't nearly proactive enough, and that's the case now.

Calls everything about controlling spread of the virus "goal post moving"... Then pretends to claim the moral high ground. That's rich.

It may have been counter productive in some communities. It also may have been very productive in places you probably assumed were not at risk. The truth is there was (and still is) a lot of fog of war. We don't know everywhere where the virus is. And those few cases you don't care about today could be a whole rural community with far less hospital capacity and resources than cities have. Places like that meat processing plant in South Dakota were unlikely places for the virus to spread (and it's an essential business so I'm not critical of them operating). 600 people at the one plant got the virus. If they didn't shut down the school system and get everybody in the town could have gotten sick in very short order. That could have happened in towns all across the country all at once. Many of the hardest hit communities in Georgia have actually been the rural ones - some of the ones you'd least expect. It's really not that simple.

That's not true at all about the death rate comment. You're creating strawmen which again are not reflective of the arguments, but what you actually want our arguments to be. We need to have the infection rate down low enough so we can identify and respond to the virus as quickly as possible. If the active number of sick people is too large a number, this is impossible. However, if it's not, this thing will take off again, just like it did in March and we will have to start all over again or we will have to give up. If we do this right now, we can get to a future where this stays manageable... Where it never threatens our medical infrastructure or we don't need rolling shut downs. That's the dream.

And I disagree. For the best possible outcome - not the I give up let's just ****ing wing it (anything that resembles go back to work send kids to school is basically that)- we need to wait until this is under control. We need most carriers of this virus to get over their illness. And we need infrastructure and resources firmly in place around the country. Only then, can we mitigate the issue and return to 75-80% of normal until we get a vaccine.
California Ag 90
AG
'flatten the curve' was THE public statement of intention behind the broad directives to shut down non-essential enterprises.

pointing out that has changed as an objective, after the fact, is NOT 'calling everything about controlling spread' goal post moving.

to the broad American public, the objective as communicated by leaders at every level was to flatten the curve. that's just reality.

it falls into the same category of 'masks don't help'. communication that was, at best, partial honesty because authorities were worried about PPE shortages and buy-in to 'stay-home' directives.

when leaders choose to use this approach, then the backlash that comes once the truth comes out has to be expected.
Gordo14
California Ag 90 said:

Quote:

Sweden's strategy is not expected to preserve the country's economy this year any more than those of countries imposing stricter lockdowns: Magdalena Andersson, the finance minister, said on Wednesday GDP could shrink by 10% this year and unemployment rise to 13.5%.

but straight logic would dictate that a country that closes up less than another will experience less economic contraction. it will still have a lot of pain, but less than a lockdown country, especially depending on what happens when the lockdown country reopens.

Maybe in the short run, but if it leads to uncontrollable spread of the virus, the evidence suggests that their economy will be hurt more in the long run.
California Ag 90
AG
Gordo14 said:

California Ag 90 said:

Quote:

Maybe in the short run, but if it leads to uncontrollable spread of the virus, the evidence suggests that their economy will be hurt more in the long run.
agreed. the point being that it is way too early to make definitive statements like that article makes.
Gordo14
California Ag 90 said:

'flatten the curve' was THE public statement of intention behind the broad directives to shut down non-essential enterprises.

pointing out that has changed as an objective, after the fact, is NOT 'calling everything about controlling spread' goal post moving.

to the broad American public, the objective as communicated by leaders at every level was to flatten the curve. that's just reality.

it falls into the same category of 'masks don't help'. communication that was, at best, partial honesty because authorities were worried about PPE shortages and buy-in to 'stay-home' directives.

when leaders choose to use this approach, then the backlash that comes once the truth comes out has to be expected.

You're just being ridiculous. Yes that was the public statement. That was easy for people to understand. We are flattening the curve. It is helping the hospitals. But if you open things up without controlling the curve... Guess what happens???? Flattening the curve is literally about everything we do from today to a vaccine. It's still the same objective, it's just a shifting strategy based on data which will change and evolve over time. It should evolve with time.
HotardAg07
AG
I'm not sure the straight logic is true. It seems obvious to me that the country that has the earliest, strongest responses and squashes the virus the soonest will long term have the healthiest economic long term rebound. This was the case during the Spanish Flu1918 and it appears to be the case now.

Countries that reacted strongly like South Korea and turned their daily new cases to low levels (+27) today can more easily resume economic activities than a country that cannot control it. With only 27 daily new cases in SK, they can use their 20,000 daily testing power to contact trace and do loads of testing on asymptomatic potentially affected patients. However, currently we only have the capability to test the more severe cases.
California Ag 90
AG
Gordo14 said:

California Ag 90 said:

You're just being ridiculous. Yes that was the public statement. That was easy for people to understand. We are flattening the curve. It is helping the hospitals. But if you open things up without controlling the curve... Guess what happens???? Flattening the curve is literally about everything we do from today to a vaccine. It's still the same objective, it's just a shifting strategy based on data which will change and evolve over time. It should evolve with time.
i'm not arguing that we should open up or making any statements about opening the economy.

DTP stated that the public argument for shutdown was flattening the curve, and now in many quarters is to eliminate cases or deaths or other arguments that 'move the goal posts'. you attacked him for stating this.

that's the discussion we are having. not about the merits of shutting down anything.

you believe that partial information to the public is justified to ensure alignment with a policy objective. fair enough. i'm only pointing out that there is a cost to this - public resentment and loss of trust when the actual reality becomes known.

finally, your faith in a vaccine is pretty absolute but see the other thread for some interesting perspectives on the impact of flu vaccines on death rates - i'm a hypochondriac guy who gets a flu shot every year, and have been vaccinated for every exotic bug there is due to travel overseas. but the data on flu vaccine efficacy is not what i expected. there is no way to project if/when a vaccine for COVID will be available, nor how effective it will be once it is deployed.

KidDoc
AG
Being a bit nit picky but strict quarantine can and does kill a virus. A virus is just a strand of RNA or DNA and cannot replicate without hijacking a host. If a society really locks down every infected patient the virus would go extinct.

I do not think that is possible in modern America I am just pointing out an inaccuracy from the prior page.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DTP02
AG
Well, you're going to have a tough time claiming the moral high ground when your very first sentence is a false characterization. That's as far as I got. I've spent more than enough time on someone who can't argue without insulting, and who either can't or won't comprehend what's been written.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.