BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2024)

551,604 Views | 2412 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Dustoff00
UhOhNoAgTag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anyone gone to the new Aggieland Express car wash on Texas? Every time I drive by no one is there. Just curious how they are doing.
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
Hornbeck said:

trouble said:

Welp, good luck to them. I'm not over the way they treated members during shut downs. Then to move to a much more inconvenient place for many who were visiting.

Not the first person I've heard critical of the Children's Museum.

Pass this info on to any of those who are critical. Be a part of making it better.

For those wanting to get involved in planning, designing, community outreach or donating, email Board@cmbv.org.

https://www.kbtx.com/2024/10/04/childrens-museum-brazos-valley-location-shut-down-focus-event-programming/
Rex Racer
AG
Just ordered my last Paisano's Pizza.
woodiewood
EBrazosAg said:

Agreed. You got to know your customer base and their demographic. Not sure their move made that better - even though it made me a customer, i doubt I buy as much pizza as a college rental. In fact, I'm sure I don't.
Pizza joints need to be near customers who don't or cannot cook where they live and not where residental homeowners live especially in times when people's budgets are tight.
woodiewood
tu ag said:

Are you talking about the ones behind Whataburger? Because Whataburger purchased all those several years ago, with a plan to make a mega-Whataburger in that location.
The first two are owned by the owner of Blue Baker. The next four is owned by EG TEJAS LLC a real estate development company owned by Preston Atkinson of Whataburger and a couple of other WB executives. They also own the old Gumby's property. The plan was/is to have egress in to the WB from George Bush similar to what is at Blue Baker. I suspect they will be leasing the access from GB to WB?

They are buying a lot of real estate in Texas not connected to Whataburger.
Whataburger itself only owns the existing restaurant pad and the old gas station pad on S.Tx Ave.

Whataburger is scheduled to build a new restaurant where the current one is and face the front towards South Texas Avenue. The plans are to have a three lane drive-through. They are also batting around the thoughts of buidling a two story building similar to what is in Corpus.
cypress-ag
AG
UhOhNoAgTag said:

Has anyone gone to the new Aggieland Express car wash on Texas? Every time I drive by no one is there. Just curious how they are doing.
Use them all the time and they are so much better than Drew's. All the employees are super friendly and helpful. The parking lot where you vacuum and dry off is clean and not trash filled like Drew's.
woodiewood
cypress-ag said:

UhOhNoAgTag said:

Use them all the time and they are so much better than Drew's. All the employees are super friendly and helpful. The parking lot where you vacuum and dry off is clean and not trash filled like Drew's.
I go to the Drews on Texas Ave two to three times a week and it always appears to be well maintained and clean.

MsDoubleD81
AG
Good to hear. I use the Tower Point one.
cypress-ag
AG
woodiewood said:

cypress-ag said:

UhOhNoAgTag said:

I go to the Drews on Texas Ave two to three times a week and it always appears to be well maintained and clean.

When I walk through dirt and mud as I'm cleaning my car it's a hard no. Maybe I caught them on 5 bad days but I'm spoiled. If we ever got a Whitewater here it would be a game changer. He doesn't build here because he knows Drew.
Tailgate88
AG
cypress-ag said:

woodiewood said:

cypress-ag said:

UhOhNoAgTag said:

When I walk through dirt and mud as I'm cleaning my car it's a hard no. Maybe I caught them on 5 bad days but I'm spoiled. If we ever got a Whitewater here it would be a game changer. He doesn't build here because he knows Drew.

I think we have plenty of car washes in town at this point …
TXAGBQ76
AG
Oh no, you can never have too many chicken tenders places, nail saloons or car washes. Come on man!
Tailgate88
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

Oh no, you can never have too many chicken tenders places, nail saloons or car washes. Come on man!

Or banks.
maroon barchetta
Tailgate88 said:

TXAGBQ76 said:

Or banks.

Gonna need a few more vape shops.
PS3D
woodiewood said:

They are also batting around the thoughts of buidling a two story building similar to what is in Corpus.

100% will not happen.
First, that was a flagship Whataburger when it was built (no idea of the condition now but it was feeling run down in 2007), they're not going to build any flagships here.
Secondly, at least since 2020 but already going in that direction fast food restaurants treat in-store customers like lepers. At one time Whataburger was still very good in that category, now in-store customers are treated like second class citizens to the drive-through (expect to still wait), there's no parking in front of the restaurant anymore (not officially, at least...), and they don't have the dine-in area open 24 hours anymore.
Thirdly, restaurants hate having multi-level dining rooms because it's impossible to monitor it and hard to clean it. There was a big two-story McDonald's restaurant in New Orleans that closed off its upper level (before the whole thing was flattened and rebuilt) because of those reasons.
Collectonian
cypress-ag said:

UhOhNoAgTag said:

I go to the newer one on Texas in Bryan, by CVS, and it's always clean and the employees friendly.
Why yes, yes I really do run the best (and only) BCS ICEE Guide!
woodiewood
PS3D said:

woodiewood said:

They are also batting around the thoughts of buidling a two story building similar to what is in Corpus.

100% will not happen.
First, that was a flagship Whataburger when it was built (no idea of the condition now but it was feeling run down in 2007), they're not going to build any flagships here.
Secondly, at least since 2020 but already going in that direction fast food restaurants treat in-store customers like lepers. At one time Whataburger was still very good in that category, now in-store customers are treated like second class citizens to the drive-through (expect to still wait), there's no parking in front of the restaurant anymore (not officially, at least...), and they don't have the dine-in area open 24 hours anymore.
Thirdly, restaurants hate having multi-level dining rooms because it's impossible to monitor it and hard to clean it. There was a big two-story McDonald's restaurant in New Orleans that closed off its upper level (before the whole thing was flattened and rebuilt) because of those reasons.

About a month ago, the WB VP of told us in the Dominik location when he visited that they were still considering the two story for the Dominik location. Next time if he vists again, I will tell him they can't.

Every WB in BCS has its dining room open 24/7 except for Christmas Day unless they have less than 3 employees present and they are required to close the dining room to guests. Maybe in smaller towns they do close?

They, like many restaurants and other businesses, are having issues hiring and keeping employees that will show up, work, and not steal from them.

maroon barchetta
Your last paragraph helps reinforce why two-story isn't going to happen.
woodiewood
maroon barchetta said:

Just passing on what we were told.

As the Zen Master said......
maroon barchetta
woodiewood said:

maroon barchetta said:

I understand.

It would be odd to put that much into a place that currently has access issues from southbound Texas.

Taking the property all the way to Bush East helps, but leaving to head south on Texas will still be a problem for people in this town that can't be inconvenienced to go around the block.
BiochemAg97
AG
maroon barchetta said:

woodiewood said:

maroon barchetta said:

I understand.

It would be odd to put that much into a place that currently has access issues from southbound Texas.

Taking the property all the way to Bush East helps, but leaving to head south on Texas will still be a problem for people in this town that can't be inconvenienced to go around the block.

Access from Southbound Texas issues are reduced if you have access from GBE. Southbound Texas turns left onto GBE and then right into WB (BB has already done this).
maroon barchetta
BiochemAg97 said:

maroon barchetta said:

woodiewood said:

maroon barchetta said:

I understand.

Access from Southbound Texas issues are reduced if you have access from GBE. Southbound Texas turns left onto GBE and then right into WB (BB has already done this).

EriktheRed
AG
Don Chente Mexican and Seafood to open in the old Bahama Bucks space at Tower Point.
Sub4
AG
Please let the name on its sign be Don Chente 3. That would be funny, they need to keep it going.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Top Golf reopens on Friday.
JMac03
AG
The big question is Don Chente gonna serve margaritas, or just beer like one of their other locations?
Captn_Ag05
AG
Karma Kolache is opening a location on University next to Sportsclips, in the center next to McAlisters. They also have a location on Wellborn that was supposed to open in September, but I do not believe has opened yet.
TyHolden
AG
CVS and Walgreens closing about 1000 stores each nationwide….any here?
snaglepuss
JMac03 said:

The big question is Don Chente gonna serve margaritas, or just beer like one of their other locations?
Most place serve margaritas but they are wine based. They have a beer/wine license apparently.
Rex Racer
AG
TyHolden said:

CVS and Walgreens closing about 1000 stores each nationwide….any here?
Walgreens has not announced which stores will close yet.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Happy to report the new McAllister's at Rock Prairie and 6 is thriving. Always busy when I go in.
UhOhNoAgTag
And you even have to go thru the Courtyard parking lot to get back on Southbound 6.
Tailgate88
AG
UhOhNoAgTag said:

And you even have to go thru the Courtyard parking lot to get back on Southbound 6.
Thank goodness it's close to the bypass or it would be doomed.
maroon barchetta
Tailgate88 said:

UhOhNoAgTag said:

Thank goodness it's close to the bypass or it would be doomed.

It's almost on the bypass.
Dustoff00
AG
MsDoubleD81 said:

Happy to report the new McAllister's at Rock Prairie and 6 is thriving. Always busy when I go in.
I was going to say always busy, but never overwhelming packed like I have seen on University...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.