BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2024)

311,118 Views | 1418 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TXAGBQ76
Anonymous Source
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Pantera said:

FlyRod said:

So was I. First I've of heard of this change.

The BCS obsession with chicken fingers rolls on; maybe every restaurant should just rebrand as chicken fingers only. Could generate some interesting PR.

I remember when we had fowl digits, laynes, and canes right there in a row and we called it "the chicken strip" … rip.
The "new" Chicken Strip is the Jones Crossing Shopping Center, featuring Chick Fil A, Urban Bird Hot Chicken, Wing Stop and Another Broken Egg
Gig 'Em
JMac03
AG
Anonymous Source said:

Pantera said:

FlyRod said:

The BCS obsession with chicken fingers rolls on; maybe every restaurant should just rebrand as chicken fingers only. Could generate some interesting PR.

I remember when we had fowl digits, laynes, and canes right there in a row and we called it "the chicken strip" … rip.
The "new" Chicken Strip is the Jones Crossing Shopping Center, featuring Chick Fil A, Urban Bird Hot Chicken, Wing Stop and Another Broken Egg
Chicken Salad Chick
ReelAg6
Make no mistake about it, increases in commercial property insurance and property taxes are playing a significant role in the recent increase in closures. These increases are passed through to the tenants. I worked on a bond steering committee for a local ISD. It was heavily weighted with school district employees, and a few industry professionals. The school district employees were very caviler about raising the tax rate with the bond. "Oh its not a big increase," but when you factor in what they're doing on the valuation side, tax increases have been astronomical on many retail centers.
chickencoupe16
AG
ReelAg6 said:

"Oh its not a big increase,"
I was told it wasn't an increase at all
Hornbeck
AG
chickencoupe16 said:

ReelAg6 said:

The song and dance from the county and CoCS is that the "rate" decreased… but, if one looks through all the bovine excrement, the effective amount went up by at least 10%.

Meanwhile, the county is sitting on a "rainy day fund" of $100M
chickencoupe16
AG
Hornbeck said:

chickencoupe16 said:

ReelAg6 said:

The song and dance from the county and CoCS is that the "rate" decreased… but, if one looks through all the bovine excrement, the effective amount went up by at least 10%.

Meanwhile, the county is sitting on a "rainy day fund" of $100M
Don't forget the school literally telling people that the bond would not increase their taxes.
Hornbeck
AG
Don't blame me for that. I made it pretty clear, I voted against their bond. I knew it was going to increase taxes.
chickencoupe16
AG
Hornbeck said:

Don't blame me for that. I made it pretty clear, I voted against their bond. I knew it was going to increase taxes.
Not blaming you at all. I think you and I agree on all fronts as far as taxes in this town go. Probably best to stop clogging up the thread, though, before we're reminded that this is a coming and going thread. Afterall, high taxes are already here and never leaving.
thisisnotkathy
AG
Wow, I forgot about Fontana's. We ate there a couple times and it was really good, and then it went quickly downhill if I recall. As long as Joe's in Navasota stays open then my Italian food needs are met.
Anonymous Source
S
JMac03 said:

Anonymous Source said:

Pantera said:

FlyRod said:

Chicken Salad Chick
I knew I left one off....
Gig 'Em
AggiePhil
AG
Give me In-N-Out burger!
PS3D
I was really hoping they'd add a second or third restaurant near Chick-fil-A.

I thought that P. Terry's was going to open here, and if not at least give me a 24 hour dine-in restaurant.
Hornbeck
AG
Dollar Slice Club at Northgate has announced they will be closing, per Rusty.
cstxfn
One of the most low down, high smelling things of all time. Shlossnagel P.O.S. leaving A&M for the friggin longhorns money, a day after that last loss. Going indeed . What a jerk. P.O.S forever on that guy.

Sorry folks, but this is BCS Coming and Going, and that is the most lowdown "going" t I can remember.
Hornbeck
AG

PS3D
Imperial Chinese has a sign saying they will be open June 27th. It was likely a lease issue.

World Nail Spa is rebuilding, the old "Ku-Ku Burger" building is not long for this world.
BCStalk
PS3D said:

Imperial Chinese has a sign saying they will be open June 27th. It was likely a lease issue.

World Nail Spa is rebuilding, the old "Ku-Ku Burger" building is not long for this world.

I hope so. The wife and I ate Imperial pretty often
legalbird
If you watch the buy one get one free coupons, or 1/2 off, this is a good indicator of a restaurant in trouble.
PS3D
BCStalk said:

PS3D said:

I hope so. The wife and I ate Imperial pretty often

I hope this works.
Hornbeck
AG
PS3D said:

Is that the Old Baskin Robbins on Texas almost to Post Office street in Bryan?
PS3D
Hornbeck said:

PS3D said:

Yes, but it started out as Ku-Ku Burger, a long-defunct chain of restaurants. Here's the last surviving one in Oklahoma, with later additions but still serving its original purpose.

halibut sinclair
PS3D said:

Hornbeck said:

PS3D said:

Yes, but it started out as Ku-Ku Burger, a long-defunct chain of restaurants. Here's the last surviving one in Oklahoma, with later additions but still serving its original purpose.

It was a chicken place before Baskin Robbins.
halibut sinclair
PS3D said:

"Stupid to re-open in such a horrible location" - south CS'ers

Meanwhile, we can pretty much walk there from our hood. Looking forward to going back tonight - our fave Chinese place!
Hornbeck
AG
halibut sinclair said:

PS3D said:

Meanwhile, we can pretty much walk there from our hood. Looking forward to going back tonight - our fave Chinese place!

Meh. We have a number of good Chinese places down here. Which makes going there still inconvenient. Enjoy your meal.
halibut sinclair
Hornbeck said:

halibut sinclair said:

PS3D said:

Meh. We have a number of good Chinese places down here. Which makes going there still inconvenient. Enjoy your meal.
Not inconvenient at all for a good many people, which was the point.
Dumbfounded
What is the go to Chinese restaurant(s) in South CS?
AggiePhil
AG
Dumbfounded said:

C&C Asian Garden on Rock Prairie.
Hornbeck
AG
Plenty of options close to my place.

C&C
T. Jin's is still good
Chef Cao's
Shogun

It's Chinese food. It's not like steak where there's a huge difference between Republic and Outback… Unless Chinese is "bad", it's pretty good.
snaglepuss
They are trying to get rid of all the food in stock.
MiMi
S
Dumbfounded said:

Oishi in Jones Crossing
MsDoubleD81
AG
This!!!
TyHolden
AG
case closed....

Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
TyHolden said:

case closed....

And if asked, Schlossnagle would probably deny the act. But if we've learned anything in the past 3 days, we've learned we cannot believe a denial by him to be truth. In fact, a denial by Schlossnagle is an implicit admission.
BiochemAg97
AG
snaglepuss said:

They are trying to get rid of all the food in stock.

I'm kinda stunned by how much food they must have in stock. I get having loads of rice, noodles, and fortune cookies. But you still have to keep getting fresh vegetables. Not sure how much of the proteins are "frozen" and heavily stocked.

It does seem like part of the problem may have been their inventory management if it takes weeks to clear out your stock.
BiochemAg97
AG
Mr.Short-termMemory said:

TyHolden said:

case closed....

And if asked, Schlossnagle would probably deny the act. But if we've learned anything in the past 3 days, we've learned we cannot believe a denial by him to be truth. In fact, a denial by Schlossnagle is an implicit admission.

Might depend on how angry he got at the question.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.