BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2024)

378,352 Views | 1663 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by BQwolf05
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dayum. We usually split a salad and pizza so there's leftovers. Their kids' meals are stupid cheap. I haven't looked at sandwich prices in years. Guess I should.
JMac03
AG
I went the other day and got a power bowl, cookie and drink, and it was $19.xx. I love the place but it's just gotten high.
trouble
AG
I just went and looked. Not eating in and needing a drink definitely skews one's perception of cost.
maroon barchetta
It's pricey.
Bunk Moreland
everything we buy is 2-4x more expensive than it was 4 years ago. But everyone continue to be shocked at restaurant prices.
FlyRod
trouble said:

I think I remember them saying it was rent.
Yep. Rising rents are hurting businesses and individuals alike. It's been an issue in BCS for awhile, esp. around Northgate.
MsDoubleD81
AG
I hadn't been in a while, but went last week and got the Bluebird (chicken salad). There was like 2 tablespoons of chicken salad on the whole sandwich. That and Costa Vida are way overpriced.
techno-ag
AG
Anonymous Source said:

maroon barchetta said:

I like a lot of things at Blue Baker but man their prices have soared.
Last time I went, I had an Earl sandwich, the wife had a small pizza, two drinks and we split a cookie and it was $40 and that is ridiculous.

Aaannnd thus all the closures. People are balking at the high prices to eat out. Yes, everything has gone up, but not necessarily salaries. And eating out is an easy thing to cut from the budget.
maroon barchetta
phillytex24 said:

techno-ag said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Unfortunately, it's an issue throughout the country - even places with "strong" economies. Skyrocketing rents and costs and no end in sight.

Yup four years of inflation. Higher taxes. The list goes on.

Exactly! These closings have everything to do with the horrific Biden economy and nothing to do with medians, our demographics, or local policies. This is not normal for all these businesses to close here. I've been here over 30 years. This is the worst economy in almost 100 years!

There are many more businesses that are missing from that list.

San Antonio is reporting a number of closures as well.

https://sanantonio.culturemap.com/news/entertainment/sad-restaurant-closures-lead-week-s-5-most-read-san-antonio-stories/
FlyRod
Chef Tai's new place, Daisy's, is open in the Bush Museum Pavillion.
TyHolden
AG
FlyRod said:

Chef Tai's new place, Daisy's, is open in the Bush Museum Pavillion.
not sure what this means....new restaurant with MTV involved?

FlyRod
https://www.kbtx.com/2024/06/26/bush-library-museum-unveils-new-dining-experience/?outputType=amp
FlyRod
Anything going on in the space where The Village/Vino Boheme was?

Also curious if any word on opening date for the relocated Kinderhill Brewery and Wild Garlic pizza place.
EBrazosAg
AG
New McAlisters opening 8/7 per FB.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Maui McQueen
AG
A few exciting updates from the Lake Walk development out by Traditions that I haven't seen on this board yet:

• Capital Farm Credit is moving their corporate headquarters from the Wells Fargo building in Bryan to the former Viasat building at 3902 South Traditions Drive. Capital Farm Credit plans to move by the end of 2024 and will be moving over 100 employees. Full Release
  • The BlueForge Alliance (BFA) has acquired 3891 South Traditions Drive as its headquarters. This building was the former Nutrabolt and DesignSpark building. BFA the national nonprofit that supports the Navy's submarine and maritime manufacturing efforts. I think they have a pretty substantial advertising presence with MLB and NASCAR with their "buildsubmarines.com" brand. Full Release
  • Pre-leasing for "The Lumin at Lake Walk" has began. This project will be a 5 story office building with 2 restaurant spaces on the first floor. The building will boast over 75,000 square feet of class A+ office space. There will also be a parking garage attached. It is currently planned to open in Q1 of 2026. The building looks to be on the northern end of the lake next to the new building with Woodhouse Spa and Kanji Sushi. Full Release Leasing Brochure

Gap
AG
If RELLIS lands that chip / wafer facility, there will be an enormous amount of good news for Bryan.
techno-ag
AG
Maui McQueen said:

A few exciting updates from the Lake Walk development out by Traditions that I haven't seen on this board yet:

• Capital Farm Credit is moving their corporate headquarters from the Wells Fargo building in Bryan to the former Viasat building at 3902 South Traditions Drive. Capital Farm Credit plans to move by the end of 2024 and will be moving over 100 employees. Full Release
  • The BlueForge Alliance (BFA) has acquired 3891 South Traditions Drive as its headquarters. This building was the former Nutrabolt and DesignSpark building. BFA the national nonprofit that supports the Navy's submarine and maritime manufacturing efforts. I think they have a pretty substantial advertising presence with MLB and NASCAR with their "buildsubmarines.com" brand. Full Release
  • Pre-leasing for "The Lumin at Lake Walk" has began. This project will be a 5 story office building with 2 restaurant spaces on the first floor. The building will boast over 75,000 square feet of class A+ office space. There will also be a parking garage attached. It is currently planned to open in Q1 of 2026. The building looks to be on the northern end of the lake next to the new building with Woodhouse Spa and Kanji Sushi. Full Release Leasing Brochure

That is awesome. Traditions continues to be one of the best things Bryan green-lighted ever.
EBrazosAg
AG
CFC sign up. It's a lot easier to make a development work when you buy it out of its second bankruptcy…..all the bones are there, paid for the fools who got wiped out.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
txtomster
PS3D said:

Goose83 said:

PS3D said:

techno-ag said:

Wow. This is the worst since Covid.

Is it, though? Thinking back this is what was directly attributed to COVID:
Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant
Applebee's
Fuddruckers
Red Lobster
Rice Garden
Subway (Southgate location)
(+ Altitude Trampoline Park)
(+ Gordmans)
(+ Stein Mart)

These are the restaurants that we lost recently for any reason:
Casa Ole
Fargo's Pit BBQ
Hooters
Imperial Chinese Restaurant
Mo's Irish Pub
(+ Edible Arrangements)

Imperial reportedly reopened back on June 27th.
Yes, I added the photo to this thread, but someone else said it was to get rid of inventory. I don't know myself.

Paolo's Italian Place on University closed down
PS3D
Back in August 2022. Again, closed restaurants in the last four years is a meaningless statistic.
trouble
AG
Imperial is reopened. One of the owners retired and the business changed hands.
Garhett_W
AG
Had our rehearsal dinner at Paulos in early July 2022. They told us rent was too high.
EBrazosAg
AG
phillytex24
Gap said:

If RELLIS lands that chip / wafer facility, there will be an enormous amount of good news for Bryan.
YES! Now Bryan needs to clean up Villa Maria at Texas and re-create a Lake Walk style business district there. The Tejas Center looks cluttered and horrible. That enter space needs to be reimagined and renamed. That area should shine as it's an entry point to Bryan!
Rex Racer
AG
phillytex24 said:

Gap said:

YES! Now Bryan needs to clean up Villa Maria at Texas and re-create a Lake Walk style business district there. The Tejas Center looks cluttered and horrible. That enter space needs to be reimagined and renamed. That area should shine as it's an entry point to Bryan!
They could call it Manor East Mall!
TyHolden
AG
Rex Racer said:

phillytex24 said:

Gap said:

They could call it Manor East Mall!
Watched Wayne's World there. We all emptied our back packs and loaded them up with beer beforehand. How times have changed.
woodiewood
PS3D said:

techno-ag said:

Applebee's
Fuddruckers
Red Lobster
Rice Garden
(+ Gordmans)
(+ Stein Mart)

Casa Ole
Fargo's Pit BBQ
Hooters
Mo's Irish Pub
Applebees and Red Lobster closed about a decade before COVID. The Southgate Subway also closed way before COVID and closed, like a number of commercial there, due to the anticipated construction of the underpass under the RR that was planned years ago. I also think Abuelos closed way before COVID.
Dumbfounded
woodiewood said:

PS3D said:

techno-ag said:

Applebee's
Fuddruckers
Red Lobster
Rice Garden
(+ Gordmans)
(+ Stein Mart)

Casa Ole
Fargo's Pit BBQ
Hooters
Mo's Irish Pub
Applebees and Red Lobster closed about a decade before COVID. The Southgate Subway also closed way before COVID and closed, like a number of commercial there, due to the anticipated construction of the underpass under the RR that was planned years ago. I also think Abuelos closed way before COVID.

March 20, 2020 - Applebee's announced CS closing
April 8, 2020 - Rusty announced Arbuelo's closing
June 22, 2020 - Rusty announce Red Lobster had locked their doors

maroon barchetta
If I've learned anything from this thread, it's that Rusty is the Grim Reaper for local eateries.
war hymn aggie
AG
Almost a lifelong CS resident and I'm in my 60's.
IMO, Bryan development peeps have really stepped up their game the past few years after several decades of "treading water".
Congrats to those in charge for being so progressive.
What is good for Bryan is good for CS & vice versa.
rockelle
phillytex24 said:

I get what you are saying but that's a private property owner issue, not a City issue ( and that's my HEB so I'm familiar with the shopping center)
archangelus2
AG
rockelle said:

phillytex24 said:

I get what you are saying but that's a private property owner issue, not a City issue ( and that's my HEB so I'm familiar with the shopping center)
If the Tejas Center is a major blight concern for your city (which I disagree with), then your city is doing pretty well.
toolshed
AG
Noticed a sign for a new? bar and restaurant at the Hilton. The Dean I think?

I never think of the Gilton as a place to eat. I know the steakhouse used to be a place to go when options in town were limited.

We also don't ever think of going to the new rooftop bar, but need to go try it sometime soon.
maroon barchetta
toolshed said:

Noticed a sign for a new? bar and restaurant at the Hilton. The Dean I think?

I never think of the Gilton as a place to eat. I know the steakhouse used to be a place to go when options in town were limited.

We also don't ever think of going to the new rooftop bar, but need to go try it sometime soon.

It looks like a nice place to hang out when it's not eleventy billion degrees outside.

And Sundance was a happening club back in the late 80's and early 90's. They had "laser beams".
toolshed
AG
The rooftop is at least on the E or SE side, and should have some nice breezes after dark up there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.