BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2024)

217,765 Views | 1026 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by trouble
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One Louder said:

Saw a new coffee shop going in on southbound Hwy 6 between Rock Prairie and Wm Fitch called Side Porch.

Bold move
Crawdaddy
AG
Hopefully not too bold or I'd need to add cream
One Louder
AG
I've never had an experience at Popeyes that was 100% smooth. Issues included they weren't able to accept credit cards, they ran out of chicken sandwiches/rice & beans/tea or we had to wait a ridiculously long time for our order while the staff openly effed around like it was Mardi Gras. What we consider "problematic", they've adopted into their business model. Just prepare yourself mentally before you go that something isn't going to go right.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Do they do the onion volcano?

https://www.tiktok.com/@office_cookbook/video/7174071711363714309
How has this gone unanswered? I need to know this.
ElephantRider
AG
A Net Full of Jello said:

maroon barchetta said:

How has this gone unanswered? I need to know this.

They do; pretty sure it's federal law that hibachi chefs have to do it
FlyRod
Wokamole seems to be closed again. After Shun de Mom that was my go to. Sigh.
Hornbeck
maroon barchetta said:

They did when I took the youngling for lunch one day.
TyHolden
AG
One Louder said:

I've never had an experience at Popeyes that was 100% smooth. Issues included they weren't able to accept credit cards, they ran out of chicken sandwiches/rice & beans/tea or we had to wait a ridiculously long time for our order while the staff openly effed around like it was Mardi Gras. What we consider "problematic", they've adopted into their business model. Just prepare yourself mentally before you go that something isn't going to go right.
I had my first Popeye's spicy chicken sandwich somebody bought me and I was like this is gonna kill the chicken industry and I need to get a franchise. Then I went to Popeye's to get my own spicy chicken sandwich and I was like how is this place not burned down yet?

for good measure, the snl skit...

MyNameIsJeff
AG
One Louder said:

This is my experience with both Popeyes and Wingstop. You're not gonna get good service, likely won't get your correct order, and they've usually got some other problems going on, but it's so good I can overlook it.
techno-ag
AG
It's like Whataburger. You don't realize how good the chain is until you try one one out of town that's run right.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
It's been my experience, at least with the Whataburgers on Rock Prairie and Southwest Parkway, that they can both be fantastic or bad. It really depends on the day and time you go. I don't know if they just have the A team, B team, and C team or what, but I have had consistently good service at both on specific days and consistently subpar service on certain days.
ShinerBlonde
AG
Visited Frittella for the first time last night since it reopened. I used to visit pretty often under the original owner and was happy to see that the food has remained virtually unchanged and the salad dressing is still amazing. The new owner stopped by our table and seemed very pleasant and interested in keeping the customers happy. The service was great although I was a little surprised it is now sit down for dinners vs ordering at the counter. It was a little pricier than I remember but what isn't these days? Overall I was happy with the experience and will add it back into my rotation.
BiochemAg97
AG
ShinerBlonde said:

Visited Frittella for the first time last night since it reopened. I used to visit pretty often under the original owner and was happy to see that the food has remained virtually unchanged and the salad dressing is still amazing. The new owner stopped by our table and seemed very pleasant and interested in keeping the customers happy. The service was great although I was a little surprised it is now sit down for dinners vs ordering at the counter. It was a little pricier than I remember but what isn't these days? Overall I was happy with the experience and will add it back into my rotation.

Yeah, I got caught by the sit down for dinner part too. Walked in the back door and went to what was the ordering place and then was redirected to the front door to be seated.
FlyRod
Realtor friend told me that Vino Boheme is in fact closing.

So that sucks.
trouble
AG
It's still order at the counter for lunch.
FlyRod
Not for me. I tried to order at the counter and was told to have a seat and wait. Worth it though, the eggplant parm still rocks.

Genuinely miss the cranky old guy.
iisanaggie
AG
I didn't see this mentioned yet. O'Reilly is opening in the former Burke's on Harvey behind Krispy Kreme.
wareagle044
Did Murdochs open ? Lots of cars. Is it just employees training ?
jello123
wareagle044 said:

Did Murdochs open ? Lots of cars. Is it just employees training ?
Opens January 30th
PS3D
Taste of the Tropics is opening a location inside the Jones Crossing HEB.
UhOhNoAgTag
Looks like Iza Robata Ramen going in where Whole Fried Chicken was. Anyone been to the one in Spring? Has good reviews.

https://g.co/kgs/G5D6nwF
maroon barchetta
PS3D said:

Have any businesses inside a grocery store ever worked out?

I've seen:

Bank
Jewelry
Boba tea
Phone accessories and repair

Probably some I have forgotten.

What works in those spots?
Captn_Ag05
AG
Coffee shops.
FlyRod
Whoa that menu for Iza Robata looks awesome! Can't wait!
PS3D
maroon barchetta said:

PS3D said:

Have any businesses inside a grocery store ever worked out?

I've seen:

Bank
Jewelry
Boba tea
Phone accessories and repair

Probably some I have forgotten.

What works in those spots?
Of course they do. It's just that the boba tea and the phone accessories store both closed at that particular H-E-B.

Stuff like dry cleaners and banks have tended to fall out of fashion as an industry, but there are all sorts of sub-leases in grocery stores. Without going too off-topic, the Bryan H-E-B has had that Chinese food stall there for years, and the Pearland H-E-B still has Auntie Anne's. (Or in rougher areas, eyebrow threading).
Hornbeck
I was going to say this, but you nailed it. The Jones Crossing HEB has the pizza place. I've seen others in San Antonio with a Texas themed restaurant. If you put a good enough product there, it will work.
maroon barchetta
Hornbeck said:

I was going to say this, but you nailed it. The Jones Crossing HEB has the pizza place. I've seen others in San Antonio with a Texas themed restaurant. If you put a good enough product there, it will work.

HEB installed the pizza place.

We are talking about 3rd party businesses.

Follow along here.
Hornbeck
It still counts! HEB is not in the pizza business for the most part!
maroon barchetta
Hornbeck said:

It still counts! HEB is not in the pizza business for the most part!

It's their restaurant using their stuff and marketed in their weekly sales ads and on their signage. It's not even close to the same.
trouble
AG
South Flo is an HEB brand. They have them in multiple locations. The Asian place in the one on Villa Maria is a separate business.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
South Flo Pizza is pretty good, too. It's nice to order your pizza, go do some grocery shopping, then grab your order on your way out.

I can say that my family is pretty excited for Taste of the Tropics. We have been known to go to the mall just for one of their smoothies and Jones Crossing is significantly closer and more easily accessible for us.
trouble
AG
I'm excited to grab taste of the tropics before I go get my nails done
rodan85
AG
trouble said:

South Flo is an HEB brand. They have them in multiple locations. The Asian place in the one on Villa Maria is a separate business.

My son work at that HEB and some days he would work in South flo. It is HEB.
MiMi
S
Cinnaholic, a plant-based bakery, is holding their Grand Opening on Friday, February 2. They are in the former Culpepper Plaza next to Poets.
kraut
AG
https://www.troubadourfestival.com/

Lineup announced - tickets go on sale this Friday!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.