BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2024)

236,274 Views | 1118 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by TyHolden
MiMi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Captn_Ag05 said:

Maybe a potential location for that whacked weiners place.

A post Northgate hot dog?

James Coney Island was where Taco Bell is now. It closed many years ago but I don't remember why.
BiochemAg97
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

The former IHOP location near Northgate is actively being marketed for a new tenant. I fully expected that IHOP left this location because there were plans to tear it down and build another mid-rise. So, I am surprised to see this.

At least according to the plan, IHOP building isn't being touched. Traffic and parking would be a ***** during construction. A restaurant going in could have a nice built in customer base when it is finished. Although they could just as easily have a lot of competition with 13 potential restaurant locations. I'm sure many of those restaurant/retail locations will be retail.

Maybe being next to a hotel, it needs to be a Denny's instead of an IHOP.

Captn_Ag05
AG
Any news on Popstroke? I don't think work has even started, so the Fall 2024 date doesn't seem to be realistic.
maroon barchetta
Captn_Ag05 said:

Maybe a potential location for that whacked weiners place.

A post Northgate hot dog?

Captn_Ag05
AG
This is what the Drury hotel is supposed to look like. They expect to be open by April 2025.
Tailgate88
AG
SIAP but lots of dirt work going at the former cow pasture, NW corner of Victoria & Fitch (by the high school). More apartments?
PS3D
BiochemAg97 said:

Although they could just as easily have a lot of competition with 13 potential restaurant locations. I'm sure many of those restaurant/retail locations will be retail.

Pretty sure that plan is like a decade old at this point.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Construction on Bubba's 33 is set to start in August and be completed by late January.
MiMi
S
Varsity Grillhouse is now open.
Crawdaddy
AG
I forget the name on the menu but I got the ribeye pasta and it was quite good. Queso is good not great but there's a sampler appetizer that has a bunch of yummy stuff including their house sauce that is borderline drinkable. Real dang good
drthoop
AG
How is their bar?
Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
Crawdaddy
AG
Much smaller than I expected, especially given the name of the restaurant. I think there are two or three TVs in the whole restaurant
TXAGBQ76
AG
The most important question!
TyHolden
AG
Crawdaddy said:

Much smaller than I expected, especially given the name of the restaurant. I think there are two or three TVs in the whole restaurant
that needs to be rectified....
KidDoc
AG
Crawdaddy said:

Yeah that is pretty bad relative to Walk-ons and Twin Peaks for sure.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Thisguy1
I heard they're pretty proud of their food
Tailgate88
AG
TyHolden said:

Crawdaddy said:

I don't think they are trying to compete with sports bars. Despite the name. Going for more of a mid to high end dining vibe.
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
Tailgate88 said:

TyHolden said:

Crawdaddy said:

I don't think they are trying to compete with sports bars. Despite the name. Going for more of a mid to high end dining vibe.

"I heard they're pretty proud of their food."

This makes perfect sense then.
australopithecus robustus
The menu online doesn't look upscale at all. It looks very casual/common. Also the concept/colors and menu very much have a vibe like The League in Hill Country Galleria.
trouble
AG
Thisguy1 said:

I didn't think the prices looked outrageous. They are in line with Marfa, Urban Table, Solt which is the vibe I think they are going for.
Thisguy1
Yeah once you realize it's not a sports bar then charge whatever you want and call it upscale.

I think most people thought it was going to be a sports bar along the likes of Walk-ons which doesn't seem near the case, despite the name.
trouble
AG
Their prices aren't much more than Walk-Ons though.
Thisguy1
Maybe we just need a JV Grillhouse to open nextdoor for when people realize it isn't what they thought.
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
Thisguy1 said:

Maybe we just need a JV Grillhouse to open nextdoor for when people realize it isn't what they thought.

That's the sports bar for all the benchwarmers who were never going to play Varsity but really like to watch the game.
Thisguy1
Varsity Grillhouse - Club seats at Olsen

JV Grillhouse - Section 203
TyHolden
AG
An upscale sports bar is what we don't really have. That might be the putt-putt place at Century Square though. The one in Katy certainly is.
drthoop
AG
Wife and I are going to try it out this evening. It's just right around the corner from my house. Don't even have to get on the freeway. I'll let you know.

Oh and I'll let you know if it lives up to the: Varsity Grillhouse---Club Seats at Olsen.
Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
maroon barchetta
Classic Aggieland board

Get excited about a place opening

Immediately compare it to other restaurants it is not trying to emulate and run it down for not being those restaurants. And mostly without having stepped foot in the building yet.

I want to be surprised…
MS08
AG
trouble said:

Their prices aren't much more than Walk-Ons though.

Varsity and Walk Ons do not play in the same league in any way: food/drink variety and selection, atmosphere, taste, etc.

I want Varsity to make it - cool build out, right around the corner from my house, small business owners, but they have their work cut out for them to be able to 'play on Friday nights.' IMO
trouble
AG
Walk-Ons on Friday night is the stuff of my nightmares. I don't think varsity is even trying for the same vibe.

My answer was mostly in regards to their pricing being less than upscale and closer to Walk-Ons
UhOhNoAgTag
I stopped going to Walkons when they changed the dressing on my favorite salad, Zydeco. Nothing else there I was wild about.

Can't wait to try Varsity. Need more restaurants like this in South CS. Don't alway feel like driving to campus or Bryan.
MS08
AG
trouble said:

Walk-Ons on Friday night is the stuff of my nightmares. I don't think varsity is even trying for the same vibe.

My answer was mostly in regards to their pricing being less than upscale and closer to Walk-Ons

Do I understand that you only talk about the pricing because you have only looked at their menu/prices from website but not actually visited and eaten at the establishment?
trouble
AG
No, I haven't been. I'm not sure why this is an issue for you. I started by replying to someone who said they were "really proud of their food". That's the entire conversation we were having.

They've only been open a few days and shockingly,I had plans. It's on my list to try in the next couple weeks.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Thisguy1 said:

Have you actually been there or "just heard" about the food?
Thisguy1
Nope, I really did just hear it was pricey. Look how far we've come since then.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.