BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2024)

217,848 Views | 1026 Replies | Last: 19 hrs ago by trouble
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The city probably did not request or pay for as-built drawings of buried utilities when they were installed years ago. Few municipalities do.

It is short-sighted and seemingly saves money on that project so they can get into internet message boards and trumpet their successes.

It eventually costs and delays future projects. As with so many levels of government, this is just kicking the can down the road.
EliteElectric
I've been in construction for 30 years now (god I feel old saying that) and I have never been paid for as built documents, it has always been part of our contractual obligation.
BiochemAg97
AG
maroon barchetta said:

The city probably did not request or pay for as-built drawings of buried utilities when they were installed years ago. Few municipalities do.

It is short-sighted and seemingly saves money on that project so they can get into internet message boards and trumpet their successes.

It eventually costs and delays future projects. As with so many levels of government, this is just kicking the can down the road.

With telecoms mostly subcontracting line placement work, the telecom line possibly didn't match the telecom engineering diagrams anyway.

Had a friend building a swimming pool in their back yard discover that the local cable company had the trunk line running through the middle of the yard rather than the utility easement. Delayed their pool for months. Not sure I would have been so patient.

Had a similar issues with Metronet installing their fiber recently. Fortunately I was home to redirect them back into the easement. I had discussions about the location of the utility easement with about 4 of their guys at different times, but none of them were there that day. Figures.

Point is, there is a chance the actual placement didn't match the as built drawings by the engineer that wasn't there when the subcontractor misplaced the line.
maroon barchetta
Good that you do that.

I've worked in industry where as-builts on buried utilities were insisted upon and done accurately. I've also worked where those as-builts ended up being "as-designed", which isn't how it ended up being constructed.

Again, thanks for your anecdotal evidence of how you do things. The CoB should hire you to do work in the future. As it stands, the road project being discussed is delayed because people didn't know where things were located underground.
Tailgate88
AG
Holy Thread Derail Batman! Let's get back to comings and goings…
maroon barchetta
BiochemAg97 said:

maroon barchetta said:

With telecoms mostly subcontracting line placement work, the telecom line possibly didn't match the telecom engineering diagrams anyway.

Had a friend building a swimming pool in their back yard discover that the local cable company had the trunk line running through the middle of the yard rather than the utility easement. Delayed their pool for months. Not sure I would have been so patient.

Had a similar issues with Metronet installing their fiber recently. Fortunately I was home to redirect them back into the easement. I had discussions about the location of the utility easement with about 4 of their guys at different times, but none of them were there that day. Figures.

Point is, there is a chance the actual placement didn't match the as built drawings by the engineer that wasn't there when the subcontractor misplaced the line.

This is what I was talking about.
maroon barchetta
Tailgate88 said:

Holy Thread Derail Batman! Let's get back to comings and goings…

Ok

The La Quinta on the feeder road just north of the Ford dealership before you get to University has a giant Reveille mural I haven't seen before.

So there is that.
toolshed
AG
Been there for years.
maroon barchetta
If I haven't seen it, it's new to me.
halibut sinclair
toolshed said:

Been there for years.

No, it's been there since last fall. Part of The Arts Council "Rev Up the Arts" mural project last October.
toolshed
AG
halibut sinclair said:

toolshed said:

Been there for years.

No, it's been there since last fall. Part of The Arts Council "Rev Up the Arts" mural project last October.

'23 & '24, that's like 2-3 years!
EliteElectric
maroon barchetta said:

Good that you do that.

I've worked in industry where as-builts on buried utilities were insisted upon and done accurately. I've also worked where those as-builts ended up being "as-designed", which isn't how it ended up being constructed.

Again, thanks for your anecdotal evidence of how you do things. The CoB should hire you to do work in the future. As it stands, the road project being discussed is delayed because people didn't know where things were located underground.
don't want to get wrapped in minutiae here, but it's not "the way I do it" it's in every AIA contract. All due respect here but "inaccurate as-builts" are pretty common, where a contractor just guesses instead of accurately noting, "no as-builts" is something I haven't heard of. In fact you can't get your project retainage unless you deliver your closeout documents which consists of O&M's, product data, testing reports, warranty letters and as-built's
maroon barchetta
My experience is different from yours.

And "inaccurate as-builts" is a label for "we just put it on the drawing as designed, we didn't actually map anything in the field".

Thus, not really an as-built.

Look at news sites from news stations in big cities. See how often the municipalities have strikes on underground utilities. Or updates from Wellborn SUD that say "a contractor hit a line".

Municipalities don't spend the money for accurate as-builts. Yeah, as-built drawings get turned in but only as a formality. There isn't really any effort put into them in many cases.

See: road project delay we have been discussing.
techno-ag
AG
Please take this to another thread.
trouble
AG
Hurricane Harry's might close by the end of the year.

BQwolf05
AG
Update on the Dollar General Market:

https://wtaw.com/college-station-city-council-approves-rezoning-for-a-new-grocery-store-concept/

Quote:

A new concept in grocery stores is coming to south College Station.

That follows rezoning approved at the February 22nd city council meeting on property along Wellborn Road between Royder Road and the entrance to Wellborn Middle School.

Crissy Hartl, who represents the developer, told the council that Dollar General's D-G market includes an expanded selection compared to its traditional stores.

The council's approval increases the maximum business size to 13,000 square feet.

Not all the space will be used by the store. Hartl said the developer has not decided what will go into the rest of the building.

BiochemAg97
AG
BQwolf05 said:

Update on the Dollar General Market:

https://wtaw.com/college-station-city-council-approves-rezoning-for-a-new-grocery-store-concept/

Quote:

A new concept in grocery stores is coming to south College Station.

That follows rezoning approved at the February 22nd city council meeting on property along Wellborn Road between Royder Road and the entrance to Wellborn Middle School.

Crissy Hartl, who represents the developer, told the council that Dollar General's D-G market includes an expanded selection compared to its traditional stores.

The council's approval increases the maximum business size to 13,000 square feet.

Not all the space will be used by the store. Hartl said the developer has not decided what will go into the rest of the building.

13000 sqft. Way too small for a Buc-ees.
Captn_Ag05
AG
trouble said:

Hurricane Harry's might close by the end of the year.

I hope they relocate.
trouble
AG
Me too.
australopithecus robustus
It will be close to impossible for them to replace 20,000 sq ft for the price they pay, especially in the city limits
PS3D
australopithecus robustus said:

It will be close to impossible for them to replace 20,000 sq ft for the price they pay, especially in the city limits
The center portion of the old Kmart (Vista College) is up for grabs...and Domino's is open until 3 am on weekends!
maroon barchetta
PS3D said:

The center portion of the old Kmart (Vista College) is up for grabs...and Domino's is open until 3 am on weekends!

This is pretty genius.
May not be enough parking for the big concerts. Can't speak to the rent but I would think it would be a lot more. The Culpeppers were giving Harry's a deal because that property has been there forever.
EBrazosAg
AG
What about the old Academy? That parking lot is empty - along with the empty At Home lot …….
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PS3D

May not be enough parking for the big concerts. Can't speak to the rent but I would think it would be a lot more. The Culpeppers were giving Harry's a deal because that property has been there forever.
They can have the ~300+ space lot to themselves since the other stores don't operate overnight.

I can't imagine that a building of similar vintage to Harry's old space and a space that's been sitting empty for two years would have THAT much of a higher rent...so assuming they're interested in relocating (big if) and 2704 Texas Avenue South checks off all the boxes, they're going to have to settle for being marginally less profitable...or they were a money-losing charity case that should've by all rights disappeared years ago.
Garhett_W
AG
Just was in the Toyota Music Factory area of Las Colinas. There is a Mama Tried Honky Tonk there. Why wouldn't this century square 3.0 work with Harry's to make it part of the redevelopment?
Garhett_W said:

Just was in the Toyota Music Factory area of Las Colinas. There is a Mama Tried Honky Tonk there. Why wouldn't this century square 3.0 work with Harry's to make it part of the redevelopment?

Because the rent will be triple due to it being a new development
Studro8355
It looks like Charlotte Russe in the mall closed down, I don't think there was any news coverage on it.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I thought that Shipwreck is moving to Amico Nave location?

A TDLR filing today has the a project registered for the Amico Nave location calling it Lime Grill. Or am I wrong on the address?

maroon barchetta
Sure looks like the same location on the map.
ratfacemcdougal
Look back a page and you will see the renderings say Lime Grill. Shows Shipwreck sign....cornfused me too
MiMi
S
Frida's Kitchen & Bar has its soft opening on March 12 and grand opening on March 16.
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
Maybe the dining room is called the Coconut Dining Room.

"You put the Lime in the Coconut, the Shipwreck Grill….."

txtomster
Does anyone know if pickleball kingdom is still coming to college station ? I thought last summer they said finished by first quarter of new year ?
trouble
AG
Five Below in the Tejas center has their grand opening set for April 19th

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.