BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2024)

217,628 Views | 1026 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by trouble
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
trouble said:

Thisguy1 said:

Sure, it's a legitimate ask. It's just makes you look like a giant hypocrite when you say part of the reason you close Business A is location and then you ask move Business B in the location of Business A and ask for $100k to do it.

This

Yep. That.
aginresearch
AG
That is not necessarily true. The medians on Texas Ave in Bryan was a joint city of Bryan and TxDOT project.
Quote:

While this project costs a total of $26 million, the City of Bryan committed $2 million for it and additional state and federal funds were made available through the Bryan-College Station MPO Transportation Improvement Program.
https://www.kbtx.com/2023/07/04/texas-avenue-improvement-project-delays-part-2-medians-near-completion/

My understanding is that the plan set for the median project originated out of the city of Bryan. This was not done unilaterally by TxDOT. As pointed out in the article above this was a project approved by the MPO. That means every local government and TAMU knew and approved of this project.

Same for WJB. It is a city project that TxDOT is managing.
EvenPar
AG
Speaking of medians and the area, South College Ave is still closed right there by shipwreck and amico nave. There's been no work on it in 3 months. That project started in July of 2023 and is on pace for a year of construction.
maroon barchetta
EvenPar said:

Speaking of medians and the area, South College Ave is still closed right there by shipwreck and amico nave. There's been no work on it in 3 months. That project started in July of 2023 and is on pace for a year of construction.

I went to a funeral along that route last summer and had to go around the back through a neighborhood to get to the funeral home.

The street looks barely different than when I was there last summer. And I don't see workers there when I drive by.
BiochemAg97
AG
EvenPar said:

If you mean the section of S College by the lake (going north of Villa Maria, that is a pretty extensive project, including replacing underground storm sewer, sanitary sewer, and water lines in that area. Original completion of phase 1 was scheduled for Dec 2024.

https://www.bryantx.gov/south-college-avenue-reconstruction-project-begins-monday-may-22/
meinkee
EXOTICK EATZ on MLK. Today it was fried ribs and okra. Healthy portion for $7.
The whipped banana pudding! tea like your grandmother used to make! They have a Facebook page. The food was delicious
maroon barchetta
meinkee said:

EXOTICK EATZ on MLK. Today it was fried ribs and okra. Healthy portion for $7.
The whipped banana pudding! tea like your grandmother used to make! They have a Facebook page. The food was delicious

I doubt anyone would refer to that as a "healthy" anything.
meinkee
Healthy as in LARGE smartchetta! I have never had a fried rib. It was so good, but no not a daily deal.
tu ag
AG
I did not know that.
College Station do the same?

How about we all agree - TXDOT in this region sucks?
EvenPar
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

EvenPar said:

If you mean the section of S College by the lake (going north of Villa Maria, that is a pretty extensive project, including replacing underground storm sewer, sanitary sewer, and water lines in that area. Original completion of phase 1 was scheduled for Dec 2024.

https://www.bryantx.gov/south-college-avenue-reconstruction-project-begins-monday-may-22/
The section I'm talking about, and according to the article you posted, was scheduled to be complete by mid-November 2023. If you look at the road in its current state, at a minimum it will take another 3-4 months for completion, and that's once workers actually return. It's been sitting for 3 months now with no workers.

The stated Dec 2024 completion is for all the way down to Carson St. That's not happening.
TXAGBQ76
AG
My point is, I don't agree with it.
BiochemAg97
AG
EvenPar said:

BiochemAg97 said:

EvenPar said:

The section I'm talking about, and according to the article you posted, was scheduled to be complete by mid-November 2023. If you look at the road in its current state, at a minimum it will take another 3-4 months for completion, and that's once workers actually return. It's been sitting for 3 months now with no workers.

The stated Dec 2024 completion is for all the way down to Carson St. That's not happening.

In the project notes, the update in Oct 13 indicates a delay waiting for a 3rd party telecom provider to relocate the lines they have incorrectly placed. Hopefully that has been done by now and the workers are just in an area you don't see doing the utilities replacements, but telecoms moving lines isn't getting done fast. My wife does environmental permitting for a large telecom. That generally isn't something that is done quickly, partly because they still need to follow the process for permitting, bidding a subcontractor, etc.

ETA: did some recon. There are a couple of side streets at the southern end of the utilities replacement zone that are closed (Bizzell and Edge), but it does not look like they have completed much of that work. Maybe the telecom delay is still on.
Looks like they have been busy doing utility work all the way up to Carson, and there were a few workers present doing that today around 3:30. That is all on the side of the road rather than tearing up the middle of the road at the moment.
The detour zone has expanded over the original detour plan with the closing of Bizzell. That original detour plan was valid until Nov 23. Sure would be nice to see an update on the project page, as the last update was in October.

Tlr. They are still working, just not near the Villa Maria end of the project zone. No idea of the telecom delay will delay the project past the Dec 24 date.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Hmmm...

techno-ag
AG
He was rumored to be opening a bar at some point.
Captn_Ag05
AG
techno-ag said:

He has a bar that opened in the fall.
NotJPMorgan
AG
That already happened.
techno-ag
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

techno-ag said:

He has a bar that opened in the fall.
Ha! Shows how often I go to NG. Old.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Quote:

Bryan's Shipwreck Grill restaurant is sailing across Villa Maria Road to the former Amico Nave restaurant.

The owners of both restaurants received the Bryan city council's approval for a $100,000 dollar grant to develop Shipwreck Grill's new location.

The application from Wade and Mary Beckman shows a ship becoming a part of the exterior of the Amico Nave building.

The grant, from the city of Bryan's corridor beautification grant program, will also go towards improved parking and new signage.

The Beckman's application says they are spending $797,622 dollars on the building, parking, and signage. Another $184,000 is going into equipment and furnishings.
https://wtaw.com/bryans-shipwreck-grill-restaurant-is-sailing-across-villa-maria-to-the-former-amico-nave-building/

techno-ag
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Quote:

Bryan's Shipwreck Grill restaurant is sailing across Villa Maria Road to the former Amico Nave restaurant.

The owners of both restaurants received the Bryan city council's approval for a $100,000 dollar grant to develop Shipwreck Grill's new location.

The application from Wade and Mary Beckman shows a ship becoming a part of the exterior of the Amico Nave building.

The grant, from the city of Bryan's corridor beautification grant program, will also go towards improved parking and new signage.

The Beckman's application says they are spending $797,622 dollars on the building, parking, and signage. Another $184,000 is going into equipment and furnishings.
https://wtaw.com/bryans-shipwreck-grill-restaurant-is-sailing-across-villa-maria-to-the-former-amico-nave-building/

Thanks for posting. Yeah the corridor beautification grant. This is legit.
trouble
AG
That's hideous
Captn_Ag05
AG
Shouldn't you be harassing some sips right now?
trouble
AG
I AM!!!!!

They don't like me right now.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Hopefully they like you a lot less in 3.5 innings.
FlyRod
Something in the Westgate strip called "Yumori" or something similar and my best guess driving past it is a ramen place. I hope. Would appreciate any info.
Rexter
techno-ag said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Quote:

Thanks for posting. Yeah the corridor beautification grant. This is legit.

Might as well put up the out of business signs before they open, since the medians killed Amico Nave…or did they get TXDOT to remove the medians?
LightningDammitt
AG
Thisguy1 said:

Just heard on the radio the Beckman's are asking the city for a $100k grant to move shipwreck to the Amico Nave location.

After their medians comment being a part of why they had to close I'd tell them to kick rocks.

Hmmm... Amico Nave closes due to the medians... then the owner gets appointed to the "former mayor's downtown parking committee", and magically 100k grant gets awarded to move Shipwrecked to the median blocked Amico Nave location?

Wow! In plain site!
maroon barchetta
No no no.

It's a corridor beautification so it's a "win-win" (unless you are a taxpayer).

And never ever question the mayor. Or a business owner in Bryan.
Thisguy1

maroon barchetta
No mention of the grant? Or a thanks to the city?
LastHamlet
AG
Hopefully their food gets better.
Texasclipper
AG
Doesn't saying "the medians put us out of business" sound better than saying "by shutting this down, we can get a grant and move the more profitable Shipwreck over here"?

I do like Shipwreck's burgers.
Anonymous Source
S
Imma go ahead and say it: The food at Shipwreck sucks. Put it on whatever side of the street you want, it sucks.
Gig 'Em
Anonymous Source
S
maroon barchetta said:

No no no.

It's a corridor beautification so it's a "win-win" (unless you are a taxpayer).

And never ever question the mayor. Or a business owner in Bryan.
The corridor would really be beautified if they got out there and finished the construction. And that cost is built-in and wouldn't cost the taxpayers an extra $100K
Gig 'Em
MyNameIsJeff
AG
I'll make at least one exception. The boilin pot is my go-to there. I've always loved it. I don't know if I've actually tried anything else.
EvenPar
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

EvenPar said:

BiochemAg97 said:

EvenPar said:

In the project notes, the update in Oct 13 indicates a delay waiting for a 3rd party telecom provider to relocate the lines they have incorrectly placed. Hopefully that has been done by now and the workers are just in an area you don't see doing the utilities replacements, but telecoms moving lines isn't getting done fast. My wife does environmental permitting for a large telecom. That generally isn't something that is done quickly, partly because they still need to follow the process for permitting, bidding a subcontractor, etc.

ETA: did some recon. There are a couple of side streets at the southern end of the utilities replacement zone that are closed (Bizzell and Edge), but it does not look like they have completed much of that work. Maybe the telecom delay is still on.
Looks like they have been busy doing utility work all the way up to Carson, and there were a few workers present doing that today around 3:30. That is all on the side of the road rather than tearing up the middle of the road at the moment.
The detour zone has expanded over the original detour plan with the closing of Bizzell. That original detour plan was valid until Nov 23. Sure would be nice to see an update on the project page, as the last update was in October.

Tlr. They are still working, just not near the Villa Maria end of the project zone. No idea of the telecom delay will delay the project past the Dec 24 date.
Here's what I've heard regarding the Villa Maria end...

General Contractor blaming Telecom.
Telecom buried the lines ~6-7 ft from the correct placement, which would encroach on the new sewer.
Telecom blames the plans drawn by the engineer hired by the CoB.
Engineer blames the CoB for providing outdated data.
CoB blames the General Contractor.
Round and round we go.

Because of this, the Engineers then had to go redesign the project. During this time of waiting and redesign, the CoB was able to get the medians deleted from the project. General Contractor now has to wait for other jobs to finish to get workers back on site.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.