BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2024)

551,666 Views | 2412 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Dustoff00
Dumbfounded
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We have frequented Fritella's quite a bit lately. Really tasty Italian (thin crust pizza ) at a reasonable cost. Tracy is super friendly and it is my understanding that one of our own TexAgs owners has an interest in the restaurant.

I recommend you try it if you haven't already done so.
TyHolden
AG
Dumbfounded said:

We have frequented Fritella's quite a bit lately. Really tasty Italian (thin crust pizza ) at a reasonable cost. Tracy is super friendly and it is my understanding that one of our own TexAgs owners has an interest in the restaurant.

I recommend you try it if you haven't already done so.
OB is buying Fritella's???
Captn_Ag05
AG
The new All the Kings Men concept is closing.
trouble
AG
Not shocking. They did very little marketing on it and tried to keep "BBQ business hours" (Thurs -Sun) in an area that really needs to be open weekdays for lunch.
trouble
AG
I think he means one of them is part of the business/investing group that bought it.
FlyRod
trouble said:

Not shocking. They did very little marketing on it and tried to keep "BBQ business hours" (Thurs -Sun) in an area that really needs to be open weekdays for lunch.

Agreed. Going from pretty good bbq to yet another chicken finger place (in an already over-saturated market) seemed the height of a bad business decision.
Dumbfounded
This
MsDoubleD81
AG
Queen Nails is excellent!!!
Rex Racer
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

The new All the Kings Men concept is closing.
That didn't take long.
RxPizza
AG
Love Downtown Local will remain at 315 S Main. Sunbeam Bagels and The Owl - Pub & Grill will be in the same building adjacent to LDL on the 29th Street Side.
phillytex24
100!!!
EBrazosAg
AG
KBTX interview makes it pretty apparent it was pretty much self administered failure.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Smeghead4761
EBrazosAg said:

I think all these mom and pop places do well in an out of the way spot with a cheap rent and don't understand the problems associated with a newer, better (way more expensive ) location. What used to work doesn't work when volumes don't go up as much as they hoped when they moved. Seems to be a pattern.
I wonder how much of their customer base was people who lived in Welborn and Castlegate. They were the closest pizza place for both of those areas by a good bit.

When they moved, it put them a lot further from all those people, and maybe a quarter mile from the south CS Double Dave's.

Captn_Ag05
AG
They closed because they were…too close to the bypass
maroon barchetta
Captn_Ag05 said:

The bypass starts between Rock Prairie and Emerald Parkway.

They were close to 6, not the bypass.
Hornbeck
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Credit card upcharges.
FlyRod
This has always been a weird business environment. I bet people never expected The Texan to close. Or Zarapes. Or the Cow Patch, etc.

Enjoy a place while it's here. Change happens.
EBrazosAg
AG
Agreed. You got to know your customer base and their demographic. Not sure their move made that better - even though it made me a customer, i doubt I buy as much pizza as a college rental. In fact, I'm sure I don't.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
australopithecus robustus
FlyRod said:

This has always been a weird business environment. I bet people never expected The Texan to close. Or Zarapes. Or the Cow Patch, etc.

Enjoy a place while it's here. Change happens.

Cow Hop
PS3D
FlyRod said:

This has always been a weird business environment. I bet people never expected The Texan to close.
Pretty sure that people knew it was on its last legs when it was closed four days a week and the owner was a widow in her early 70s.
LOYAL AG
AG
trouble said:

Piasanos is closing.

Knew this would happen. There new location had to come with a massive rent footprint due to all the table seating in a segment of the restaurant industry dominated by carry out. The biggest names in the business are Pizza Hut, Papa John's and Dominoes and they don't have a table between them. They were good on Wellborn and had to have been successful since they moved to a bigger space in a more expensive part of town but the one time I went there I knew immediately they would be closing. Just a terrible decision.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
TyHolden
AG
LOYAL AG said:

trouble said:

Piasanos is closing.

Knew this would happen. There new location had to come with a massive rent footprint due to all the table seating in a segment of the restaurant industry dominated by carry out. The biggest names in the business are Pizza Hut, Papa John's and Dominoes and they don't have a table between them. They were good on Wellborn and had to have been successful since they moved to a bigger space in a more expensive part of town but the one time I went there I knew immediately they would be closing. Just a terrible decision.

And that parking lot is crazy dangerous. People flying through there with kids all over the place. They need to put a speed bump or two in there.
maroon barchetta
Thank goodness we didn't end up with a Wal-Mart over there.
9dag
AG
The pad is going up quickly on Hwy 21 next to the wings and more express. Did someone mention that a taco bell would be moving in to that area ?

The two old houses were still there last week, and they have not wasted any time clearing and leveilng.
It is time to put the chairs in the wagon
RNAggie
AG
My question may have gotten got lost amid the unfortunate mass of restaurant closure announcements.

But the row of old houses on G Bush East has had some major activity happening to them for the last week or so. Apparently they are tearing them down. At least one house is gone so far.

Anyone know what the end game is for that area?
tu ag
AG
Are you talking about the ones behind Whataburger? Because Whataburger purchased all those several years ago, with a plan to make a mega-Whataburger in that location.
Its Not Rocket Surgery
AG
Piasanos closing hurts my soul. Best pizza rolls in town by far. I remember how many people freaked out when they closed their original location for the move. I get wanting to grow, but agree with others that the increased rent probably did them in and in hindsight it was a bad move.
Rex Racer
AG
Its Not Rocket Surgery said:

Piasanos closing hurts my soul. Best pizza rolls in town by far. I remember how many people freaked out when they closed their original location for the move. I get wanting to grow, but agree with others that the increased rent probably did them in and in hindsight it was a bad move.
I love their pizza, as well. They are very generous on the toppings. Every time I order extra cheese at Pizza Hut, I feel like I'm just paying more for nothing. Paisano's actually gives you extra cheese.
war hymn aggie
AG
RNAggie said:

My question may have gotten got lost amid the unfortunate mass of restaurant closure announcements.

But the row of old houses on G Bush East has had some major activity happening to them for the last week or so. Apparently they are tearing them down. At least one house is gone so far.

Anyone know what the end game is for that area?
City rezoned those properties to commercial a few years ago.
Owners are just now getting to demo them as leases ran out.
Not sure what will happen going forward, but expect Whataburger to do something, since they and the owner of Blue Baker own the real estate in this particular area.
oklaunion
I'm surprised someone with deep pockets hasn't bought that entire block including the strip center off of Dominick. Years ago, when the city demolished the houses on the north side of that street, CS planned to condemn the south side as well and later flip it for commercial. It didn't go as planned.
Hornbeck
AG
oklaunion said:

I'm surprised someone with deep pockets hasn't bought that entire block including the strip center off of Dominick. Years ago, when the city demolished the houses on the north side of that street, CS planned to condemn the south side as well and later flip it for commercial. It didn't go as planned.

What?!?! Next thing you know, you'll tell us that CoCS does other bad real estate deals!
Captn_Ag05
AG
The Children's Museum is closing its location at Lake Walk and going to a mobile model temporarily. They said they are fundraising to open a larger location at Lake Walk.
trouble
AG
Welp, good luck to them. I'm not over the way they treated members during shut downs. Then to move to a much more inconvenient place for many who were visiting.
Captn_Ag05
Hornbeck
AG
trouble said:

Welp, good luck to them. I'm not over the way they treated members during shut downs. Then to move to a much more inconvenient place for many who were visiting.

Not the first person I've heard critical of the Children's Museum.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.