BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2024)

551,706 Views | 2412 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Dustoff00
Sleepnumber
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Resist people. This has become ridiculous. I really resent it when the business you are giving money to----and supporting---starts getting snarky.
FlyRod
https://www.labougbcs.com/

New business, La Bougainvillea Kitchen and Lounge.
maroon barchetta
Part bakery, part maker space for foodies?
FlyRod
Not sure if these qualify for "comings," but:

1. Fargo's had a stand at the downtown Bryan farmers market last Saturday. Alan was there. I was in a hurry and I'm not sure what was there besides their sauce.

2. New stand at the Post Oak Mall farm market for Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. I bought some fresh shrimp and it was excellent. They said they would be regulars if sales are good and they seemed to be doing a good business that day.
FlyRod
New pizza place (a pop up I think) with the delightful name Drunken Dragon Pizza, is appearing at the Rio Brazos Distillery on weekends. Annoyingly I can't find any more info than that, but hoping they are as good as Wild Garlic.
woodiewood
maroon barchetta said:

Shipley's has some employees that will ask if you want your change.
If I was the owner I would stop that in a minute. I don't mind a tip jar at the register, but employees should assume you want your change back.
oklaunion
FlyRod said:

1. Fargo's had a stand at the downtown Bryan farmers market last Saturday. Alan was there. I was in a hurry and I'm not sure what was there besides their sauce.

2. New stand at the Post Oak Mall farm market for Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. I bought some fresh shrimp and it was excellent. They said they would be regulars if sales are good and they seemed to be doing a good business that day.
I thought both farmers' markets had a rule that anything sold had to be locally produced. I went to Murdoch's last Saturday and saw a sign for buckets of oysters at the FM.
halibut sinclair
FlyRod said:

https://www.labougbcs.com/

New business, La Bougainvillea Kitchen and Lounge.
This is the former Renegade Bakery and Culinary Studio. Lipstick on a pig.
FlyRod
oklaunion said:

FlyRod said:

I thought both farmers' markets had a rule that anything sold had to be locally produced. I went to Murdoch's last Saturday and saw a sign for buckets of oysters at the FM.

Maybe it's changed? I've seen things there I tho didn't think were local and I know getting a permit there is complicated. And maybe the POM one has different rules than the Bryan one?
Captn_Ag05
AG

maroon barchetta
TIL there is a place called Stampede in town.
crbongos
AG
Country dance? Go to Western Club Navasota.
CRBongo
FlyRod
Crust Pizza is open.

https://www.crustpizzaco.com/home
MiMi
S
FlyRod said:

Crust Pizza is open.

https://www.crustpizzaco.com/home

Is it a traditional dine-in restaurant with servers or is it using the Blaze/Mod Pizza/Urban Bricks format?
EBrazosAg
AG
Not good when I have to be educated as to what the pizza style is. I've been to Chicago a lot and all the pizza I have seen has been deep pie. Maybe I'm not observant, but in double digit visits I'm thinking just not the dominant pie.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bucketrunner
We've eaten at the Crust in Spring. It is very good, especially the lunch specials.
Hornbeck
AG
They have what they call "tavern style" pizza there, in addition to the thick crust you get at Gino's East, Giordano's, Uno, etc.

Tavern style is thin, crunchy crust, and cut into squares.

https://chicago.eater.com/maps/best-chicago-thin-crust-pizza-restaurants-tavern-style
jja79
AG
Bucketrunner said:

We've eaten at the Crust in Spring. It is very good, especially the lunch specials.

The food is really good and the lunch specials are hard to beat.
KidDoc
AG
From the website it looks identical to mod, blaze, urban bricks, etc.

Anyone elaborate on what makes it different?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggie-1997
AG
KidDoc said:

From the website it looks identical to mod, blaze, urban bricks, etc.

Anyone elaborate on what makes it different?
I would compare it more to Rx Pizza than your examples above. You don't walk through a line and select toppings. You sit down and order from a menu.
RNAggie
AG
Noticed today that there was lots of movement on the row of old houses on G Bush East (remediation work, dumpster, etc).

Are they tearing down like they did the houses that were on the other side of the street? or is someone redeveloping?
bushytailed
AG
Bubbie's just announced on FB that it will be closing on 10/27.

"It is with a heavy heart that I announce the closing of Bubbie's Kolache Kitchen and Bakery. Our last day of business will be October 27, 2024. This is one of the hardest decisions I have had to make, but it is the best one for my family and me. As many of you may know, I lost my dad unexpectedly a little over a year ago. Since then, I have been helping my mom manage their 200+ acres on the days Bubbie's is closed. I need to make myself more available to assist my family with the day-to-day tasks of maintaining and managing the acreage. I built this business on the values of family, and at this time, my family needs me more than ever.

I want to thank you all for your support over the last three years. I have greatly enjoyed personally serving and getting to know my customers.

I also want to recognize and thank my employees (past and present) who have helped me throughout the years. I have had an amazing team to work with. They will be looking for equally amazing employers, so please reach out if you know of good employment opportunities.

Thank you all again for your support and understanding."

maroon barchetta
Sad to hear that.
FlyRod
Literally the first I'm hearing about this place! Alas.
JMac03
AG
Aww that stinks about Bubbies. I don't go often anymore but I do like their sausage kolaches (pigs). I'll have to stop and get one.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I love their stuff
AggiePhil
AG
Too bad Bubbie's couldn't sell instead of closing altogether.
ratfacemcdougal
The pecan bars are great
BCSWguru
not surprised about the kolache place. I tried to go twice and they were closed both times. Didnt bother trying again.
legalbird
Loved the kolaches and cinnamon rolls, but every time I went there, "closed for a wedding" or something.
Restaurant business is 7/24.
techno-ag
AG
Rent can't be cheap over there either.
PS3D
I noticed Trackside looks like its getting close to their new location on Holleman Drive South. Not quite "trackside" (a few blocks away) but whatever. Kolaches, and close to home!
FlyRod
Sign up for Coco Shrimp at Century Square. Is it possible we are actually getting (gasp) a seafood restaurant?

Edit: Ok not exactly https://www.cocoshrimp.com/
trouble
AG
We ate at Fish Daddy's on Monday night and I was pleasantly surprised by the variety on the menu. The last time I ate there (years ago) nearly everything was fried. It's definitely going in our rotation when I want seafood.
JMac03
AG
I love their salmon salad. It's the only thing I ever get when I go.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.