BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2024)

493,741 Views | 2182 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by AggiePhil
ElephantRider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had Bodega tonight. 10/10, will return
maroon barchetta
We also went tonight.

It was good.
LJF78
Did Taco Casa on Fitch close?

Saw their lights shut off yesterday and could see a sign on the door but didn't swing back around to read it.
JMac03
AG
LJF78 said:

Saw their lights shut off yesterday and could see a sign on the door but didn't swing back around to read it.

Their AC went out sometime this summer. Not sure what the plan is at this point since it's been awhile.
ElephantRider
AG
JMac03 said:

LJF78 said:

Their AC went out sometime this summer. Not sure what the plan is at this point since it's been awhile.
They got their locks changed at one point this year due to not paying rent. I would be surprised if they open again.
Collectonian
FlyRod said:

New ramen place, Kyuramen opens this week.

https://www.kyuramen.com/
Where is it opening at?
Why yes, yes I really do run the best (and only) BCS ICEE Guide!
Captn_Ag05
AG
Collectonian said:

FlyRod said:

New ramen place, Kyuramen opens this week.

https://www.kyuramen.com/
Where is it opening at?
Behind Five Guys
thisisnotkathy
AG
What's the status of Wild Pita on Wellborn? I noticed it looked really close to opening with chairs and such outside and I think I might have seen an "open" sign yesterday? Anyone tried it if so?
halibut sinclair
Anchor Bar is open!
TyHolden
AG
edit: never mind. not risking this close to football season.
TyHolden
AG
Hornbeck
AG
TyHolden said:

Avoiding the old banned camp, eh?
Captn_Ag05
AG
TyHolden said:

I am assuming I missed a joke about an ESPN employee...?
Captn_Ag05
AG
TyHolden said:

Nice looking space.
maroon barchetta
Captn_Ag05 said:

TyHolden said:

I am assuming I missed a joke about an ESPN employee...?
MiMi
S
Anchor Bar is now open.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I hope Anchor Bar does well. I worry about that location for them.
maroon barchetta
Any live music planned?
AgTrip
ElephantRider said:

JMac03 said:

LJF78 said:

They got their locks changed at one point this year due to not paying rent. I would be surprised if they open again.
Says Permanently closed on google maps. I loved grabbing quick lunch there. Sad to see them go.
KidDoc
AG
Went to Pluckers last night to play their Wednesday night trivia only to find they are not doing it for another 3-4 weeks. Just FYI.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ScottishFire
AG
I tried out Wild Pita today, and it was really good and reasonably priced for the portion.
The serving style is like chipotle, and the food is similar to cava but better. They have bowls, salads, pitas, or wraps (like a burrito).

Would recommend
TyHolden
AG
Anchor Bar is great for TVs. As many as Walkons. Food was pretty good. Service was good even though they were training everybody.
Also, they have a pretty extensive menu for a wing place.
KBTX was there. It will be on tonight.
MiMi
S
I tried Pluckers yesterday. I was deciding between Pluckers and Anchor Bar and thought Pluckers would be less busy at 6pm since it had been open longer. When we arrived at 5:45 pm, a wait had just begun. But it was only about 5 minutes until a table was cleared and ready.

The space is big. Finally a new restaurant that understands that we need room. I love the patio. Two Jenga sets, cornhole, outdoor bar, cooling misters, lots of TVs, and a pickleball court that will be very popular when the weather cools down.

But inside is crowded and loud. Very loud. Very crowded. There is a tiny vestibule with 2 benches just inside the front door. But no other inside space to wait. The patio is large and not full service yet, so many were waiting there. When the patio fully opens, those waiting for a table will be stuck waiting in the parking lot when the patio is open for full service.

Service was fine. But we could hardly hear each other it was so loud. We had to constantly repeat ourselves when chatting with her.

We were also disappointed that the server was unable to describe a couple of the proprietary wing sauces (Hallelujah and Baker's Gold). The menu is no help in this. She had no idea what they were but said we are allowed 2 free samples at our table. I believe that a server should have either sampled or knows how to describe their sauces. FYI Bakers Gold was a spicy and more peppery BBQ sauce; Hallelujah was more spicy than its listed 2 flames spicy. Maybe even worthy of 4 flames. Almost BBQ-like but less of a typical vinegar bite and more heat. To be fair, it is hard to describe.

When the food arrived , my tots and boneless bites were not hot. Just tepid. It's like my order was ready first and then sat until the other two were ready. My table mates said their bone-in wings were overcooked and not sauced enough. The server apologized and brought out a side of sauce for my daughter and said she wouldn't charge us for the extra sauce.

It seemed that many things were extra/ up charge. Ranch or blue cheese with those wings? Extra. 'Wet' wings? Extra. Want to sample more than 2 sauces? Extra. Substitute your side? Extra.

Even their advertised loyalty program seemed to be costly. Looks like you need a paid subscription to access rewards. I don't mind initially signing up for Landrys or Gringos for $25 and immediately receive a $25 reward. But this program looks like a subscription that's paid every 6 months? But maybe I may have not correctly understood the info cards at the table. But it seemed more complicated that most of the restaurant rewards programs I have joined.

We will give it another go as there are other non-wing items we want to try, and recognize the first few weeks are not indicative of future performance.
KidDoc
AG
Sounds like you just had bad luck with trainees. I've never had an experiance like that at any Pluckers.

You can get one sauce per 5 wings. We usually just split 5 per person and each pick a flavor.

They just changed their loyalty club this week. Luckily I joined back in 2018 or so and I'm grandfathered into the lifetime membership. It is very generous. You basically get a rotating free dessert or app every time you go + points that can be redeemed for credit.

I didn't notice it being too loud but just may depend on the crowd and TV volumes. Not even close to Italia level noise for me.

edit: with the app you can join the waitlist virtually before arriving and it gives you an estimate. I don't think you need to be part of the club for this feature.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Charpie
AG
Pluckers is a sports bar. It's supposed to be loud.

Also, I have literally never asked anyone to describe Bakers Gold. I've had them 100 times and I couldn't describe it other than delicious. My go tos are spicy lemon pepper and spicy garlic Parmesan. Also, if you get their homemade chips, it comes with blue cheese. So if you get that for your side, you can order ranch with your wings.

Their salads are amazing. So is their Mac and Cheese.

You're Welcome!
A Pluckers fan from Austin who ate there all the time. Trouble and I would meet up wearing our Aggie gear in the heart of Austin
Broncos
For those that didn't read that entire thing they said -

"I didn't enjoy my experience but I'll be back".
trouble
AG
You forgot and make faces at Fat Ketch
Charpie
AG
That too
sirhc
AG
I've been away from this thread too long. Any update on when they intend to break ground on the new Bryan HEB across from Miramont?
AggiePhil
AG
When does Qdoba open?
maroon barchetta
trouble said:

Please let this be true.
trouble
AG
maroon barchetta said:

trouble said:

Please let this be true.

100% true
snaglepuss
sirhc said:

I've been away from this thread too long. Any update on when they intend to break ground on the new Bryan HEB across from Miramont?
Hahahah...
snaglepuss
KidDoc said:

You can get one sauce per 5 wings. We usually just split 5 per person and each pick a flavor.

Sounds unsanitary.
trouble
AG
I'm gonna assume he and his family know how to wash their hands.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.