BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2024)

487,686 Views | 2154 Replies | Last: 19 hrs ago by Burn-It
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

BiochemAg97 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

The College Station Big Lots isn't on the list of stores closing.

For now.

CS Conns wasn't on the initial list either.
True, but their focus was on California and midwest stores for now. They will still have over 1,000 stores open.

Sure, but they initially planned on closing 40 stores (June), now it is 315 stores.

And then there is a recent regulatory filing that said there's a "significant likelihood" of a potential default on a 2022 loan and that the company has "substantial doubt" about the company's ability to remain operational.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/08/13/investing/big-lots-wants-to-close-hundreds-of-locations

My post was to inform that the person was wrong at this point. Not to debate the long term financial stability of Big Lots. Feel free to start a thread on that elsewhere.
legalbird
College Staion is its own world. Stays flat in properous times and bad times.

Absolute disaster businesses will close.
woodiewood
Captn_Ag05 said:

Maybe coming, maybe going...

Quote:

A majority of Bryan city council members express no opposition to rezoning land north of the Premiere movie complex to build 150 luxury apartments.

But final action was delayed.

That followed more than one hour of discussion involving council members, the landowner, and opponents who included neighboring homeowners and the presidents of the Austin's Colony and Greenbriar homeowners associations.

The opponents favored keeping current zoning for retail development.

The landowner, Wayne Courreges III, said he wants to buy additional land surrounding his proposed apartment complex to develop what he calls "top retail".

Courreges said he preferred building three story apartment buildings containing one and two bedroom units versus a four story hotel, which he is allowed to do with current zoning.

https://wtaw.com/bryan-city-council-delays-final-action-after-a-majority-supports-rezoning-for-a-luxury-apartment-complex/
I understand the concern about additional traffic on Austin Colony Pky and the intersection with Boonville Road, but is the complex going to increase it greatly? 150 one and two bedroom apartments would probably add perhaps thirty to forty more cars at the intersection at any one time. If they are going north on Hwy 6, most apartment dwellers will probably cut through the Krogers parking lot to avoid the intersection. With that intersection now having an average of 24,000 cars a day, another hundred a day probably won't even be noticed.

The low income/senior citizen complex would have put less traffic daily through that intersection.
Captn_Ag05
AG
A busy retail center would also bring in more in and out traffic all day. The NIMBYs need to work on a better argument.
halibut sinclair
The NIMBYs are not necessarily against the apartments, as I understand it from watching the last city council meeting. They are concerned about the extension of Sam Rayburn Drive to Austin's Colony Parkway which is part of this project and the resulting cluster-f of traffic from having an elementary, middle and high school all right next to each other. AC Parkway and Boonville intersection is not an issue with this.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Long John Silver's is tearing down and rebuilding
MiMi
S
Pluckers is officially open today.
trouble
AG
It's about time. Building looks like it's held up with baling wire and duct tape.
snaglepuss
halibut sinclair said:

The NIMBYs are not necessarily against the apartments, as I understand it from watching the last city council meeting. They are concerned about the extension of Sam Rayburn Drive to Austin's Colony Parkway which is part of this project and the resulting cluster-f of traffic from having an elementary, middle and high school all right next to each other. AC Parkway and Boonville intersection is not an issue with this.
Make it wide!
BiochemAg97
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Looking at the map, I'm not sure what effect of extending the road to AC Pkwy would actually have.

people in Austin's Colony is would have a route to the middle school and north of 6 that doesn't involve AC Pkwy and Booneville. Seems like it would be beneficial to the AC residents.

Potentially going north through the booneville 6 intersection and avoiding AC Pkwy and Booneville to get to the high school on AC Pkwy.

MS can't get to it, so they still have to go north on the access road. HS could take it but would end up northbound on access road, so probably easier to go to Old Reliance.

In all likelihood, anything that goes there will end up with access to AC Pkwy, just like the theater and shopping center.
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
KBTX article on BISD demo and new courthouse annex

EBrazosAg
AG
I say the skybridge never will happen and never was really planned. It was stuck in there to give them cushion on cost overruns elsewhere and a feature to "cut" and crow about cost savings if they are lucky.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Quote:

Northern Tool + Equipment is excited to announce their newest retail location for the community in Bryan. The store will open to customers on August 28, and a grand opening celebration is planned for October 12. Located at 1900 Austins Colony Parkway, the new store provides Northern Tool's unparalleled shopping experience and customer service to customers.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Taco Bell is building a new location near the Chick-fil-A in Jones Crossing.
Hornbeck
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Now, that's a prime location for 2:30 am tacos.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I think that would also be a great location for a drive-through Panda Express, personally.
maroon barchetta
Put another Fuego there instead.
PS3D
Captn_Ag05 said:

Neat. I was hoping for something new to the market (P. Terry's, In-N-Out) but I'll still take it.
Captn_Ag05
AG
There's still 5-6 pad sites, so maybe there is still hope!
FlyRod
Rusty posted they are giving the Long John Silvers in Bryan (the infamous one) a makeover.

Wish they'd tear it down and put something nice there. Oh well.
halibut sinclair
FlyRod said:

Rusty posted they are giving the Long John Silvers in Bryan (the infamous one) a makeover.

It's a teardown and rebuild.
Captn_Ag05
AG
From the scope of work they submitted

Quote:

Remove existing Long John Silvers & rebuild new ground up LJS on same site. No change to existing property lines. Provide new parking layout and drive thru configuration. Building will be all new construction.
techno-ag
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

From the scope of work they submitted

Quote:

Remove existing Long John Silvers & rebuild new ground up LJS on same site. No change to existing property lines. Provide new parking layout and drive thru configuration. Building will be all new construction.

Good sounds like a typical fast food tear down and rebuild. That place was overdue.
FlyRod
halibut sinclair said:

FlyRod said:

It's a teardown and rebuild.

Genuinely impressed anyone actually goes there. That place always seemed like it had Black Mirror potential.
Hornbeck
AG
There's a certain plumber that's famous for his love of the place.
The Brazos Kid
Hornbeck said:

There's a certain plumber that's famous for his love of the place.

Dude is insufferable with his love of LJS but we love him nonetheless.
phillytex24
I can't wait for the 8 pads of restaurant space to be filled at Jones Crossing! That could be the new restaurant row!
aggie-1997
AG
Well, Bahama Bucks in Tower Point has officially announced they are closing. I recall them putting their building up for lease/sell earlier this year. They are saying another restaurant will be coming to the location early 2025.
JMac03
AG
They did the correct thing and let all their employees know a week or so ago, and also have guaranteed them jobs at the new location. So kudos to them for doing the right thing.
BlueMiles
AG
I believe it had been announced that a restaurant would be going in near Superior Auto on South College, where the auto detail place has been. There is a "for sale" sign that seems to be associated with that auto detail place now. The area is roughly across from J. Cody's.
AggieAces06
AG
aggie-1997 said:

Well, Bahama Bucks in Tower Point has officially announced they are closing. I recall them putting their building up for lease/sell earlier this year. They are saying another restaurant will be coming to the location early 2025.

Well that sucks! But makes sense after I took almost 20 minutes to get 2 snocones last weekend when only 3 other people were in the dining area.
EriktheRed
AG
aggie-1997 said:

They are saying another restaurant will be coming to the location early 2025.

Need a better burger down there than Freddys....Mojo...come on down!!!
KidDoc
AG
EriktheRed said:

aggie-1997 said:

They are saying another restaurant will be coming to the location early 2025.

Need a better burger down there than Freddys....Mojo...come on down!!!
Mooya is right there and pretty solid. Angry Elephant as well. Heck Walk Ons and Saltgrass have great burgers as well.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JMac03
AG
I always forget about Mooyah and it's a mile from my house.
Costa and Andreas
We will be down there with mojo whenever the right deal presents itself!

We have long term plans for a different concept as well.

For now, we need to focus on La Bodega operations.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.