BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2024)

320,037 Views | 1443 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by AggieCVQ
TyHolden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
another one bites the dust...

techno-ag
AG
If it wasn't for this board, I would not have known they were still open this long.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I think most of the ones in the Beaumont area (where I believe is started) have closed. Along with Crazy Jose's, their sister restaurant.
maroon barchetta
Captn_Ag05 said:

I think most of the ones in the Beaumont area (where I believe is started) have closed. Along with Crazy Jose's, their hermano restaurant.
maroon barchetta
techno-ag said:

If it wasn't for this board, I would not have known they were still open this long.

This. I assumed it had closed in the 90's.

The good news is the city now has another possible real estate "investment" to look into.
AggiePhil
AG
Rush Bowls appears to have closed due to personnel issues.
trouble
AG
King Noodle & sushi has a lock out notice on the door.

Captn_Ag05
AG
Summer closure season
techno-ag
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Summer closure season
Agreed. It looks like a bad one this summer. This economy and inflation combined spells the death knell for a lot of these places.
Hornbeck
AG
And the hits just keep on coming. We really liked King Noodle and Sushi.
Hornbeck
AG
techno-ag said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Summer closure season
Agreed. It looks like a bad one this summer. This economy and inflation combined spells the death knell for a lot of these places.

People have no disposable income. Therefore, they don't eat out. Establishments close. Vicious cycle.
trouble
AG
We hadn't been yet.
FlyRod
I wonder how many of these closings are market over-saturation. Which is why I worry for a third ramen place opening; I doubt the community can/will support more than the two we have.

That and simply bad locations and bad business models.
Dumbfounded
It's painful to watch, especially the mom and pop's that opened their dream establishment. Opening any business isn't cheap. Breaks my heart knowing the mental and financial struggles they go through prior to making that final decision to close.

I know a couple that opened three food businesses (all of the same brand) in Bryan and College Station a few years back. All are closed now to the toon of ~$2M investment.

I am sure some small business owners can bounce back but I am sure there are many that are financially devastated by the closures.
NotJPMorgan
AG
Amen. This is a bad economy to be in a business that relies on people having "fun/extra" money.
bcstx06
Dumbfounded said:

It's painful to watch, especially the mom and pop's that opened their dream establishment. Opening any business isn't cheap. Breaks my heart knowing the mental and financial struggles they go through prior to making that final decision to close.

I know a couple that opened three food businesses (all of the same brand) in Bryan and College Station a few years back. All are closed now to the toon of ~$2M investment.

I am sure some small business owners can bounce back but I am sure there are many that are financially devastated by the closures.

Was that Wayback Burger?
trouble
AG
My same question.
maroon barchetta
techno-ag said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Summer closure season

No no no no no.

Some of my friends on FB have been assuring us that the economy is fully rebounded and there is nothing to see here.

Who am I supposed to believe?
Hornbeck
AG
Rust Surette just posted this. Gift Box is closed.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Dang, were all these businesses just hanging on through the soccer match and George Strait for a last bit of income before closing?
techno-ag
AG
Usually it's us telling KBTX the news. But if a business closes, Rusty tells us.
Hornbeck
AG
They keep raising taxes and rent, thinking that there is a never ending supply of money….

Pretty soon we are going to have a whole lot more empty space available…
Psychag
AG
Wow! I remember (I'm very old) getting something to eat from Casa Ole before standing in line at ROXZ. This is about 40 years ago.
Charpie
AG
Shouldn't some of these businesses take into account that the population significantly decreases in the summer? King Noodle was great, but I'm not shocked that they didn't last. Their "buffet," wasn't really a buffet which I'm sure threw people off. Good places will stay open. Look at Frida's that was PACKED on Friday when we went for dinner. Also look at other businesses around town that are thriving.

Some of these folks should do some market analysis before opening.
Smokeey
King Sushi has been packed almost everyday since it opened. I don't think the issue was volume of business. Rents in BCS are absolutely ridiculous from what I've seen. Case Ole had no business still existing in 2024 as well. Giftbox seems like a place that maybe should have never operated via traditional storefront too.
Charpie
AG
Smokeey said:

King Sushi has been packed almost everyday since it opened. I don't think the issue was volume of business. Rents in BCS are absolutely ridiculous from what I've seen. Case Ole had no business still existing in 2024 as well. Giftbox seems like a place that maybe should have never operated via traditional storefront too.

I went twice. Both times was on Sunday after church. The place was empty
AggiePhil
AG
Now reading on FB that Taco Casa has closed. Allegedly due to the "extreme heat." Not sure I completely buy that.
Captn_Ag05
AG
AggiePhil said:

Now reading on FB that Taco Casa has closed. Allegedly due to the "extreme heat." Not sure I completely buy that.
I though they closed for the day because their a/c went out and didn't want their workers having to work until it was repaired. Is it a long term or permanent closure?
Tailgate88
AG
AggiePhil said:

If the one on Fitch, their AC has been out for awhile I believe. I guess they haven't been able to come up with the money to fix it. And they were temporarily locked out by the landlord last year for a week or so but managed to get the rent paid and open back up.

trouble
AG
Extreme heat? It's been relatively mild so far this year.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
The poor wording of the post initially made it sound like that. You had to get a few sentences in before realizing they're having HVAC trouble.
aggiedata
AG
FlyRod
BCS seems to be a curvilinear restaurant town; the high end places do fine, and the dive places, taquerias, etc do fine.
Hornbeck
AG
Casa Ole in the mall was Turrible when we went last month. Bad food, bad service. Zero stars. Told the wife we'd never go back. Appears I was correct.
australopithecus robustus
FlyRod said:

BCS seems to be a curvilinear restaurant town; the high end places do fine, and the dive places, taquerias, etc do fine.

BINGO. It's a tale of two distinct demographic groups with a gaping hole in between them. Everyone is over 40 or under 23. The young higher paid professionals with disposable income and no kids are only like 10% of the population. Until that evolves, it's mostly going to remain the same, with some exceptions.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.