Plane update

150,061 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by maroon barchetta
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mr.Short-termMemory said:

Jsimonds58 said:

Little bit different when you claim to be the lease holder of the property
Being the lease holder he doesn't pay the taxes (or lack thereof.)

Could it be that on other property he owns or leases he knows what an ag exemption does to the tax owed and assumed it was the same for this property?
Sure if he has been living in a cave for the last couple of days, if he does not know the BBC is a non-profit, then he most likely gets his news for KBTX
doubledog

doubledog said:

maroon barchetta said:

Mistake?

No no no.

He came in as an authority on the subject.
Everyone on this thread is coming in as an authority on this subject.
I think we are taxpayers, wanting some answers and getting half-truths and lies...
I agree. It does not mean we, as taxpayers, have all the facts at this point which would make us an authority on the subject.

Assuming Dorn is lying while accepting the pilot's perception as the truth is what I've seen so far. Could it be they are both just wrong without deliberately lying?

Thus the half-truths...
Again all we need is an answer to some basic questions.
Let's start with.
1. Is the property in question leased for $1/year (no matter for how long, or when it can be terminated)
If so how did the leasee obtain such a great deal, without the rest of us knowing about it.
2. Did the Mayor tell the plane owner that he was the leasee.
if he did then did he use that lie to attempt to leverage money from the plane holder.
Hornbeck
trouble said:

Can it be somewhere other than traditions?

Yes, I just wanted to take a big chunk of tax revenue off the books… and I should have named it First Church of the Empty Bourbon Bottle
doubledog
Hornbeck said:

trouble said:

Yes, I just wanted to take a big chunk of tax revenue off the books… and I should have named it First Church of the Empty Bourbon Bottle
I hear the old Macy's store would have made a great church... CoCS to the rescue!
Hornbeck
Interesting point. I wonder if CS has a quasi governmental non profit for real estate speculation and plane owner harassment, or is that just Bryan? Sure seems like CS does all their own dirty work and overspends on property without any other help (or citizen input)…
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
doubledog said:

Hornbeck said:

trouble said:

I hear the old Macy's store would have made a great church... CoCS to the rescue!
And since that spot is already off the tax roll, CoCS won't miss what they aren't already collecting!
trouble
AG
Hornbeck said:

trouble said:

I'll make a list of places your church can purchase for my use
trouble
AG
They very likely do. Apparently these things are quite common. The BBC type things not harassing plane owners
Chrundle the Great
AG
Wtaw Bill Oliver just did a news break on 1150 discusing it. Pretty much paraphrased the kbtx article but right at the end added "Rafter d pays the bbc 1$/year to lease the property but is required to hold $1 million in insurance"

So there's a somewhat official confirmation of the $1 lease and a new twist that I guess the BBC is going to use to justify the cheapness.
doubledog
Chrundle the Great said:

Wtaw Bill Oliver just did a news break on 1150 discusing it. Pretty much paraphrased the kbtx article but right at the end added "Rafter d pays the bbc 1$/year to lease the property but is required to hold $1 million in insurance"

So there's a somewhat official confirmation of the $1 lease and a new twist that I guess the BBC is going to use to justify the cheapness.
So a umbrella insurance policy of $1M which is about $200/year... Total cost about $201/year... Where do I sign up!
Jsimonds58
AG
Yeah I'll take 200 acres for $201 a year please
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
Chrundle the Great said:

Since the BBC doesn't pay tax on the land, and it's a non-profit, can it charge more than a nominal $1 fee for the lease? Wouldn't that be making a profit if they did? Don't know the answer, just asking more questions. The BBC will get their money back on the sale when they do sell it, but maybe they can't charge $$$ for the lease?
techno-ag
AG
doubledog said:

Chrundle the Great said:

So a umbrella insurance policy of $1M which is about $200/year... Total cost about $201/year... Where do I sign up!
Not sure how many cattlemen around here are looking for more pastureland to lease under those stipulations. Mind you, I'm sure we could find some, but the typical City of Bryan citizen city slicker would neither need nor want a lease like that.
doubledog
techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

Chrundle the Great said:

Not sure how many cattlemen around here are looking for more pastureland to lease under those stipulations. Mind you, I'm sure we could find some, but the typical City of Bryan citizen city slicker would neither need nor want a lease like that.
For $201/year, I could find a use of 200 acres... Dog park? Raise a donkey? How about a tent city for football games?
Chrundle the Great
AG
Non-profits can generate revenue just not profit. So the money made on the lease could go to paying BBC staff (if there is I don't know the specifics), purchasing more property, maintenance on assets they do own etc.
Hornbeck
Chrundle the Great said:

Non-profits can generate revenue just not profit. So the money made on the lease could go to paying BBC staff (if there is I don't know the specifics), purchasing more property, maintenance on assets they do own etc.

They can stick a certain amount of "contingency funds" away as well, to pay for unforeseen circumstances like emotional damage to cattle.
Charpie
AG
doubledog said:

techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

Chrundle the Great said:

For $201/year, I could find a use of 200 acres... Dog park? Raise a donkey? How about a tent city for football games?

I moved away from Austin for a reason.
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
Chrundle the Great said:

I don't know if they have staff or assets to maintain either. If not, having a lease could ostensibly make a profit. Which as you mentioned, they cannot have.
techno-ag
AG
doubledog said:

techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

Chrundle the Great said:

And thus my point. That is not a cattle grazing lease.
MiMi
S

Chrundle the Great said:

I don't know if they have staff or assets to maintain either. If not, having a lease could ostensibly make a profit. Which as you mentioned, they cannot have.
The info page on the City of Bryan website https://building.bryantx.gov/bbc/ states that the BBC "has created and operated the 200-acre Bryan Business Park." I wonder what those tenants pay for their leases?
GSS
Contrary to one uninformed poster, it is a lease, with cattle as the primary operation. Stated as such by the leaser (Dorn), who also claimed it is not a 10 yr lease (yet it is).
And he knows the 30 day aspect is unlikely to happen anytime soon, making the sweet deal all the better.
GSS
https://photos.app.goo.gl/M8EDgsL6UFyZF7YTA
Pic of lease agreement.
Charpie
AG
GSS said:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/M8EDgsL6UFyZF7YTA
Pic of lease agreement.
$1
cslifer
So a ten year lease at $1/yr for grazing and the ability to cut hay. That is a heck of a deal!
trouble
AG
cgdorn said:

I don't know if it was offered to other people. It is not a 10 year lease. The lease can be terminated with 30 days notice at any time so the property can be sold or developed so it is not a guaranteed lease. The BBC is saving a lot in taxes by having it used for Ag purposes and they are not tied into a long term lease.

Sir, you lied to me.
Jbob04
AG
I'm guessing Dorn won't return to this thread now. Another lie exposed
Jsimonds58
AG
Man that's crazy, dude got on here and lied about basically every part of his post. Didn't we just get castigated about how Aggies don't lie cheat or steal?
Charpie
AG
Jsimonds58 said:

Man that's crazy, dude got on here and lied about basically every part of his post. Didn't we just get castigated about how Aggies don't lie cheat or steal?
Rules for thee and not meeeeee
Jojosun
[Rookies don't get to troll this board and this sock is banned. -Staff]
doubledog
doubledog said:

doubledog said:

maroon barchetta said:

Mistake?

No no no.

He came in as an authority on the subject.
Everyone on this thread is coming in as an authority on this subject.
I think we are taxpayers, wanting some answers and getting half-truths and lies...
I agree. It does not mean we, as taxpayers, have all the facts at this point which would make us an authority on the subject.

Assuming Dorn is lying while accepting the pilot's perception as the truth is what I've seen so far. Could it be they are both just wrong without deliberately lying?

Thus the half-truths...
Again all we need is an answer to some basic questions.
Let's start with.
1. Is the property in question leased for $1/year (no matter for how long, or when it can be terminated)
If so how did the leasee obtain such a great deal, without the rest of us knowing about it.
2. Did the Mayor tell the plane owner that he was the leasee.
if he did then did he use that lie to attempt to leverage money from the plane holder.

3. What is the connection (if any) between Mr. Dorn and the BBC? (not the broadcasting company).
trouble
AG
I believe the mayor is that connection. He and Mr Dorn have had a business relationship since 2021 and the lease was in 2022.
techno-ag
AG
Not white knighting Dorn but I don't think he's a regular on this board. I think he meant no, it's not an iron-clad 10 year lease. He mentioned the owner could break the lease at any time, and that's what he was referring to.

I know we get into particulars and "gotcha" statements a lot on here, but I'm not sure this was an outright deliberate attempt at deception.
Mathguy64
AG
I'm shocked at how many people come onto an internet thread to defend their honor (or their side of a story) without first talking to their lawyer. Because their lawyer would tell them in no uncertain terms to stay away from the keyboard.
Charpie
AG
is the tax savings for an Ag exemption enough to only have a $1 a year lease? If so, I need a goat for my backyard
techno-ag
AG
Charpie said:

is the tax savings for an Ag exemption enough to only have a $1 a year lease? If so, I need a goat for my backyard
I believe you need a 10 acre minimum (could be wrong).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.