Plane update

149,856 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by maroon barchetta
ctag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think it's fair to say at this point your involvement in this discussion has graduated from one of merely offering opinions to becoming an advocate for those whose ties are local while simultaneously conflating the issues effectively obfuscating the heart of the matter -- Gutierrez has not acted as someone who had an interest or desire in avoiding the appearance of impropriety when it came to the leasing of BBC property.

I'm not sure whether your failure to address the fact that there is no information from anyone involved that he did anything that could even remotely be described as transparent, both before and after December 27th, is willful or not, but the result is the same. You stated in another post that if information was presented that would change your mind, you would do so.

To that end, set aside the terms of the lease. Such transactions for nominal amounts are not uncommon. Efforts by land owners, be they business entities or individuals, to minimize tax burdens through obtaining ag exemptions are not in and of themselves suspect, illegal, or otherwise unethical.

The BBC's press releases state that it was unaware that Gutierrez was a client of Rafter D or of what was going on on their property until the issue gained traction on social media. Their press releases say that neither Borrel nor Starr contacted them about retrieving the plane. As I stated in my timeline post, what is not said is often as important as what is said. So, in this instance, BBC explicitly stated that neither Borrel nor Starr contacted them; what they didn't say was that neither Gutierrez nor Dorn contacted them following the emergency landing. There's only two ways to read that: (1) no one, including Gutierrez and Dorn, ever contacted them and the first they learned of it was from social media or (2) they had been told about it by someone, just not by Borrel or Starr.

If it's the former, why didn't Dorn or Gutierrez ever loop the BBC in on the fact that there was a plane on the property that was the subject of potential damages claims by Dorn and Gutierrez against Borrel, and, more importantly, why didn't Gutierrez notify the BBC, either directly or through Dorn, when he received a letter from Borrel's attorney threatening legal action involving BBC's property and/or when an actual lawsuit naming him and involving that property was filed.

If it's the latter, why did the BBC assert that they first learned of the issue through social media and waited until it gained traction on social media before contacting Borrel's attorney demanding the plane be removed.

Do you not see that regardless of which is true, neither looks good for Gutierrez and/or the BBC?

I've posted related questions in other posts to which whatever the answer is to those respective questions does not shine a favorable light on Gutierrez and the BBC with regard to avoiding the appearance of impropriety. No one of the persuasion that there is no information indicating something untoward may have occurred has yet to offer up a possible answer to any of those questions that does not put either Gutierrez or the BBC in a negative light with regard to the lease transaction or the aftermath of the emergency landing. However, it is that aspect of this event -- the appearance of impropriety -- that is at the heart of the matter. The terms of the lease, whether there was a competitive bidding process, etc. are but symptoms.

Simply put, my overarching question is this: If there was no impropriety surrounding the agreement between Rafter D and BBC, why was there no effort on the part of any of the parties involved, either directly or indirectly, to be transparent from the outset?
maroon barchetta
Who funds the BBC?
src94
AG
Certainly not land lease revenue.
src94
doubledog
techno-ag said:

TL/DR: (if I'm understanding things correctly, of course) the lease is legal. No competitive bids are needed. No open meetings are required.

No laws have broken. Those hoping for a Texas Rangers investigation will be disappointed.
I think we agree no laws were broken.

Just to be clear, you (techno) believe that awarding this $1/year lease to "known and trusted" individual, without vetting other qualified lessees is above board and without suspicion.

techno-ag
AG
doubledog said:

techno-ag said:

TL/DR: (if I'm understanding things correctly, of course) the lease is legal. No competitive bids are needed. No open meetings are required.

No laws have broken. Those hoping for a Texas Rangers investigation will be disappointed.

Just to be clear, you (techno) believe that awarding this $1/year lease to "known and trusted" individual, without vetting other qualified lessees is above board and without suspicion.

The board was certainly within the rules.
doubledog
techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

techno-ag said:

The board was certainly within the rules.
That was not the question...
maroon barchetta
Exactly
techno-ag
AG
Jsimonds58 said:

Man if he isn't a politician he sure should be, way to not answer the question
Well see now the goalposts are moving. We've spent time debating the legality of all this, with some posters calling for an investigation by law enforcement. This pretty much squashes that, far as I can tell.

Since that's fallen through y'all want to discuss whether it's aboveboard and above suspicion.

Yes I think it's aboveboard. I think there are laws cities and other entities have to follow. They have lawyers to help them follow those rules.

That leaves the "above suspicion" one a matter of opinion. Do I think it's above suspicion? Yes. But I think a lot of miscommunication on both sides has exacerbated the issue.

But remember that's just my opinion. Other opinions on here obviously differ and that's okay. Be as suspicious as you want. But as far as I can tell no laws were broken in regards to the lease.
trouble
AG
We've been talking about the ethics of it from the very beginning.
DannyDuberstein
AG
davido said:

DannyDuberstein said:

That's confusing to me as well. Or not choosing the option of throwing up some temporary fencing around the plane. If I'm potentially out $250k, my ass is headed to Home Depot or Tractor Supply to fence off this little plane. 2-3 hours total and I'm done doing it by myself
"Not so fast my friend." - FAA Investigator

Ah, well if the FAA doesn't want the plane protected and preserved, even better. Saves a trip and an afternoon
Jsimonds58
AG
Yep but that always seems to be ignored. Idk who he keeps referring too when saying we are calling for criminal investigation. All of us have been rightfully up in arms about the ethics of this though, and the appearance of impropriety that hasn't been remotely addressed
trouble
AG
There was one person who mentioned an investigation by the rangers and he latched onto that.
toolshed
AG
This thread has done more circles than a plane with no engine power looking for a safe place to land!!

davido
AG
TequilaMockingbird said:

Yeah I've seen that one. I believe they claim the mayor asks for money in that one, correct?

To clarify my earlier statement because I used too many pronouns instead of names and it wasn't clear enough, here goes…

Gryder already videoed the pilot saying the pilot made multiple mistakes. (Gryder lists 5 different errors? Someone will check the transcripts. But he did one thing right, he lived, and that's the most important.) Then Gryder lied about the plane ransom and emotional distress (or whatever terms he used).

The pilot says he he was informed of damages. I don't think he says that the plane is being held. Gryder ads that and uses words like extortion and emotional distress when he wasn't even party to the conversation. On top of that he's wrong. I doubt the pilot even gathered what the damage was in regards to specifically since most people on here couldn't until about page 21.

The part that sticks out to me is that a select group is all mad about something and has decided that the word of some YouTube wannabe shock jock, who has plenty of history of his own, is somehow the hero here. Meanwhile a long time local businessman with a reputation of helping people and has volunteered his time a lot over the last decade, is now the villain. Specifically because he beat out two other former city councilmen in November without so much as a runoff. If you tracked that race, you're aware of how experienced the trio was. So for winning, now he's not a beloved local, businessman, volunteer or Aggie, he's just a dirty old corrupt politician and nothing he says can be trusted. I guess it's too bad for Gutierrez that he didn't get a shot at buying Gryder a steak dinner and hotel room first. Then maybe he would've been painted as the hero.

Also, who knew that all this time, Gryder's talents were being severely underutilized? We should have had him on Hillary's emails or Trump's tax returns (pick your preference) and we could really do some Louisiana style swamp draining.

Lock him/her up! Lock him/her up!
FishrCoAg
AG
davido said:

TequilaMockingbird said:

Yeah I've seen that one. I believe they claim the mayor asks for money in that one, correct?

To clarify my earlier statement because I used too many pronouns instead of names and it wasn't clear enough, here goes…

Gryder already videoed the pilot saying the pilot made multiple mistakes. (Gryder lists 5 different errors? Someone will check the transcripts. But he did one thing right, he lived, and that's the most important.) Then Gryder lied about the plane ransom and emotional distress (or whatever terms he used).

The pilot says he he was informed of damages. I don't think he says that the plane is being held. Gryder ads that and uses words like extortion and emotional distress when he wasn't even party to the conversation. On top of that he's wrong. I doubt the pilot even gathered what the damage was in regards to specifically since most people on here couldn't until about page 21.

The part that sticks out to me is that a select group is all mad about something and has decided that the word of some YouTube wannabe shock jock, who has plenty of history of his own, is somehow the hero here. Meanwhile a long time local businessman with a reputation of helping people and has volunteered his time a lot over the last decade, is now the villain. Specifically because he beat out two other former city councilmen in November without so much as a runoff. If you tracked that race, you're aware of how experienced the trio was. So for winning, now he's not a beloved local, businessman, volunteer or Aggie, he's just a dirty old corrupt politician and nothing he says can be trusted. I guess it's too bad for Gutierrez that he didn't get a shot at buying Gryder a steak dinner and hotel room first. Then maybe he would've been painted as the hero.

Also, who knew that all this time, Gryder's talents were being severely underutilized? We should have had him on Hillary's emails or Trump's tax returns (pick your preference) and we could really do some Louisiana style swamp draining.

Wow. That's quite the take. Totally ignores the points most of the posts try to make, that the $1 sweetheart lease does not look good and there was no transparency in that process at all
TequilaMockingbird
davido said:

TequilaMockingbird said:

The only reference I've seen to emotional distress has been to the supposed distress the cattle suffered when the plane coasted to a landing the field.

As to Gryder or the pilot "lying" about the "shakedown", maybe using that term is a mischaracterization. But there's no doubt in my mind that somebody on the mayor's side of things initially brought up the $250,000 figure (it's in a letter in a previous post) with the implication that they (mayor, BBC, La Pistola, Rafter D, whoever) were going to have to get paid some way, some how. No doubt.
BiochemAg97
AG
TequilaMockingbird said:

davido said:

TequilaMockingbird said:

The only reference I've seen to emotional distress has been to the supposed distress the cattle suffered when the plane coasted to a landing the field.

As to Gryder or the pilot "lying" about the "shakedown", maybe using that term is a mischaracterization. But there's no doubt in my mind that somebody on the mayor's side of things initially brought up the $250,000 figure (it's in a letter in a previous post) with the implication that they (mayor, BBC, La Pistola, Rafter D, whoever) were going to have to get paid some way, some how. No doubt.

It isn't unreasonable to contact the plane owner regarding a damage/loss that you want to be covered by insurance. It would seem unlikely that anyone on that side had the insurance information to contact the insurance directly.

Where it goes from there is a bit of a different story. Insurance will want evidence of the loss, so you better be able to back up the claim if you want anything close to the full amount.
Hornbeck
So, I would think that the City would do an ethics investigation, at the very least. If I were to use my company's (or even another business unit's) property to turn large profits ($260k+ certainly qualifies as large), I'd have my HR folks on me like white on rice. I'd lose my job, and probably be sued by my now former employer, to recover some of those profits.

Taking it a step further, using the assumption that "everything is above board" logic, the CoB IT guys should use the city servers for a bitcoin mining operation…

Edit: typos
techno-ag
AG
Hornbeck said:

So, I would think that the City would do an ethics investigation, at the very least. If I were to use my company's (or even another business unit's) property to turn large profits ($260k+ certainly qualifies as large), I'd have my HR folks on me like white on rice. I'd lose my job, and probably be sued by my now former employer, to recover some of those profits.

Taking it a step further, using the assumption that "everything is above board" logic, the CoB IT guys should use the city servers for a bitcoin mining operation…

There will be no ethics investigation IMO. Everything was legal and the mayor did not lease the land.
Bunk Moreland
techno-ag said:

Hornbeck said:

There will be no ethics investigation IMO. Everything was legal and the mayor did not lease the land.

Of course there won't be an ethics investigation. Forget it, Jake. It's Bryantown.
Charpie
AG
Just because it was legal doesn't make it right.

I'll be sure to use that line when some of y'all are belly aching about some of the stuff that happen at the state and federal level.

"It's legal! What's the big deal?!?"
davido
AG
Hornbeck said:

Dorn was the one with the lease doing the AI. I'm not sure his clients dictate location or would normally much care, but they maybe/probably should have in this case just because. But it's not as if the land is producing the money for Gutierrez. He's not selling hay. Damages are only listed that high because his animals were onsite at the time for that procedure. With lesser animals onsite or even being post-AI procedure instead, it seems like the damage modeling would be significantly different. Those animals and the timing is what makes it high, not the specific dirt or location itself.

Not the same thing.

That said, I'd assume that it's getting plenty of eyes at this point.
Jsimonds58
AG
Why are his animals still on site when the contract was cancelled. He doesn't own the lease but man his cattle wouldn't seem to know the difference given how long they've been there now huh?
Jsimonds58
AG
I know a few city IT employees, definitely need to get them mining bitcoin now since it's all above board. That's a wonderful idea hahah
cavscout96
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

TequilaMockingbird said:

davido said:

TequilaMockingbird said:

It isn't unreasonable to contact the plane owner regarding a damage/loss that you want to be covered by insurance. It would seem unlikely that anyone on that side had the insurance information to contact the insurance directly.

Where it goes from there is a bit of a different story. Insurance will want evidence of the loss, so you better be able to back up the claim if you want anything close to the full amount.
It is, however, unreasonable to bar access to the insured's property while a settlement is reached, especially if the presence of said property is what caused / is causing the damage.
cavscout96
AG
Charpie said:

Just because it was legal doesn't make it right.

I'll be sure to use that line when some of y'all are belly aching about some of the stuff that happen at the state and federal level.

"It's legal! What's the big deal?!?"
GSS
The mayor didn't (wink wink) didn't lease the land....just a coincidence of it being available for his longhorns...
NRA Life
TSRA Life
cavscout96
AG
davido said:

Hornbeck said:

Dorn was the one with the lease doing the AI. I'm not sure his clients dictate location or would normally much care, but they maybe/probably should have in this case just because. But it's not as if the land is producing the money for Gutierrez. He's not selling hay. Damages are only listed that high because his animals were onsite at the time for that procedure. With lesser animals onsite or even being post-AI procedure instead, it seems like the damage modeling would be significantly different. Those animals and the timing is what makes it high, not the specific dirt or location itself.

Not the same thing.

That said, I'd assume that it's getting plenty of eyes at this point.
it might not be "producing money" from hay, but his cattle are eating for free and they are gaining, or at least holding, value by maintaining body condition that he is not having to shell out cash for.

Here's the great thing about one party finally suing the other, discovery.

Unless settled out of court, both sides will have to produce documentation of all of the arrangements and we'll actually get to see whether this was truly "above board" or not.
Jsimonds58
AG
Huh funny how that turned out isn't it!
ctag02
AG
techno-ag said:

Hornbeck said:

At this point, there can be no other explanation other than a conscious choice to be obtuse to explain your continued refusal to acknowledge that Gutierrez (and perhaps the BBC) did not conduct himself in a manner that in any way demonstrated a genuine desire or intent to be transparent and avoid the appearance of impropriety from the outset. The legality of the transaction is not at the heart of the matter, and none of the involved parties has ever asserted that Gutierrez leased the land. To base your opinion that there will be no ethics investigation, which no rational person believes is a reality anyway, on those to assessments only serves to demonstrate your cognitive bias on this topic.

I have posed numerous questions, the possible answers to any of which do not shine a favorable light on Gutierrez (or the BBC) from a transparency standpoint. I cannot make this clear enough -- set aside questions about the legality of the lease, set aside Borrel's claim that Gutierrez held hostage the plane, set aside the terms of the lease itself. Pick any one the following, any one, and offer up a reasonable explanation for why Gutierrez, if he truly desired to be transparent and avoid the appearance of impropriety throughout this saga, would have failed to take any of the following steps:

• As a former member and current non-voting liaison to the BBC at the time the lease in April 2022, why did he not say something to the effect of, "I just want the members of the BBC and the public to know that I have been in a business relationship with Dr. Dorn and Rafter D since 2021 and we are currently engaged in an embryo program that involves my cattle. I have played no role in the negotiation of this lease nor have I been indirectly involved in this process."

• As a former member and current non-voting liaison to the BBC at the time his cattle were moved onto the leased property to begin the next round of the embryo program, why did he not say something to the effect of, "I just want the members of the BBC and the public to know that the property leased by Rafter D from the BBC will be used in furtherance of our previously existing business relationship. That the property is leased to Rafter D doesn't provide any benefit to me as a party to the embryo project contract because Rafter D and I intend for the project to proceed regardless of where my cattle are located in advance of their transport to Rafter D's facility."
  • As a former member and current non-voting liaison to the BBC at the time the plane landed on the property, why did he not say something to the effect of, "There was a plane that landed on the property leased from the BBC by Rafter D, of whom I am a client, that has negatively impacted our previously existing embryo project potentially resulting in significant monetary damages to both Rafter D and myself. I would ask that Rafter D and the BBC act expeditiously to have the plane removed within 1-2 weeks so as to avoid those potential damages becoming a reality."
  • As a former member and non-voting liaison to the BBC when he received a letter from Borrel's attorney in early February accusing him of hindering recovery efforts and threatening legal action involving BBC's property, why did he not say something to the effect of, "I have attempted to assist Mr. Borrel in his recovery of his plane, but due to his recovery contractor repeatedly cancelling its attempts the plane remains on the property. I recognize that I should have involved the BBC and Rafter D in these efforts sooner, but I was attempting to expedite this process so as to avoid either Rafter D or myself incurring any additional economic damages due an interruption our embryo project due to the plane's continued presence on the property."
  • As a former member and non-voting liaison to the BBC when he was served with the lawsuit filed by Borrel's attorney in late February but before the story gained traction on social media, why did he not say something to the effect of, "I have never denied Borrel or his agents access to the property nor have I threatened to hold hostage his plane. I regret that I have not yet involved the BBC or Rafter D in this process, or at least informed them of the ongoing situation and my communications with Borrel and his agents, prior to the institution of this lawsuit. I will step back and allow the property owner and its leaseholder to negotiate directly with Mr. Borrel and his agents to accomplish the removal of the plane as soon as practicably possible."
Again, pick one, any one, and offer up a reasonable explanation for why, if Gutierrez had any genuine desire or intent to be transparent and avoid the appearance of impropriety, did he not take that step.

As a preemptive measure to avoid any accusation of moving the goalposts should you choose to offer up a reasonable explanation to any of the above, a response along the lines of "How do we know he didn't" isn't a reasonable explanation. That requires proving a negative, but more importantly what I posed above is based on the information provided by the parties themselves. If he had taken any of these steps, I have no doubt that we would have heard about it by now. The BBC stated unequivocally that they were unaware that Gutierrez was a client of Rafter D. The BBC and Rafter D have stated unequivocally that neither were contacted by Borrel or Starr. If those unequivocal statements are true, then Gutierrez did not take any of the steps above.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Just saw the plane being transported on 60.
maroon barchetta
Pics or it didn't happen
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
lol, i was driving so I couldn't snap a pic. It was being escorted by a few of those large object haul trucks alongside it. it was on the bridge over Harvey Mitchell on 60.
Another Doug
AG
Missed opportunity for a MOOOOving pun
techno-ag
AG
The BBC meetings are closed. The mayor could well have stated any of your hypotheticals to the board. He really has no obligation to satisfy your curiosity on the matter.

Now, stay with me for a moment. What if the mayor did not tell Dorn to put his cows in that field? What if Dorn decided to do that on his own? What if the mayor didn't even know?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.