Plane update

149,865 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by maroon barchetta
skeetboy3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

EliteElectric said:

techno-ag said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

I would guess that if the mayor had never called the pilot on January 3rd, that the plane would be gone by now.
The circumstantial evidence indeed seems very strong to support this. The pilot found out the mayor was going to submit a claim to his insurance company and then sued for nearly the same amount.
Also it sounds to me like the pilot was expecting a "total of the aircraft" he never got, so instead of a new plane he's gonna have to retrieve and fix the old one. He may have been wrangling with his own insurance company for 2 months before deciding to go this latest route.
I doubt that.. The insurance would not cover the cost of a "new" airplane.

This discussion does not concern me. I would like to know how a person "known and trusted" by the BBC would get a $1/year lease on 200 acres of land.

FYI: "known and trusted" is called the "old boy network" in the rest of the United States. I thought those days were behind us, in Bryan at least. What I have learned from this whole incident is that the "old boy network" is alive and well in the BCS area.

This has been discussed at length. There is nothing illegal about the lease. It does not have to go out to bid. It's more of a convenience thing than anything else.

We didn't get the deal because most of us here don't have a herd of cattle we can graze. And if we did, that we could evacuate quickly. And if we did, how would the BBC board know and trust us?

The lease is a nothing burger.

Perhaps I don't have the herd because I cannot afford the lease prices. I could at that price. As for evacuation, worst case scenario they have a cattle auction every week.
davido
AG
GSS said:

Since one poster continues to think everything was done "above board", why did Rafter D need to be involved at all? The land was/is used to hold Gutierrez's cattle, as per the Rafter D statement.

Your argument is that all of Rafter D is a straw man leaseholder for La Pistola? Do you think La Pistola is Rafter Ds only client? I guess in all of this internet sleuthing, nobody actually looked up the experience of Rafter D.

Are you also aware that Gutierrez is not the sole decision maker of the BBC? There are multiple citizens appointed to BBC. The comments on here seem to indicate that the whole of BBC, all of these citizens, were in on some conspiracy to prevent the whole COB of a few thousand dollars. They're probably appointed by city council, so they're probably all in on it also, right?

Comically terrible thinking.
Tibbers
davido said:

GSS said:

Since one poster continues to think everything was done "above board", why did Rafter D need to be involved at all? The land was/is used to hold Gutierrez's cattle, as per the Rafter D statement.

Your argument is that all of Rafter D is a straw man leaseholder for La Pistola? Do you think La Pistola is Rafter Ds only client? I guess in all of this internet sleuthing, nobody actually looked up the experience of Rafter D.

Are you also aware that Gutierrez is not the sole decision maker of the BBC? There are multiple citizens appointed to BBC. The comments on here seem to indicate that the whole of BBC, all of these citizens, were in on some conspiracy to prevent the whole COB of a few thousand dollars. They're probably appointed by city council, so they're probably all in on it also, right?

I think You're right, from the The Eagle article on Friday, the BBC were unaware of what was going on with the land from what I gathered. I probably misread the article. I read it in passing. I have no idea.
techno-ag
AG
skeetboy3 said:

techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

EliteElectric said:

techno-ag said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

I would guess that if the mayor had never called the pilot on January 3rd, that the plane would be gone by now.
The circumstantial evidence indeed seems very strong to support this. The pilot found out the mayor was going to submit a claim to his insurance company and then sued for nearly the same amount.
Also it sounds to me like the pilot was expecting a "total of the aircraft" he never got, so instead of a new plane he's gonna have to retrieve and fix the old one. He may have been wrangling with his own insurance company for 2 months before deciding to go this latest route.

This discussion does not concern me. I would like to know how a person "known and trusted" by the BBC would get a $1/year lease on 200 acres of land.

FYI: "known and trusted" is called the "old boy network" in the rest of the United States. I thought those days were behind us, in Bryan at least. What I have learned from this whole incident is that the "old boy network" is alive and well in the BCS area.

This has been discussed at length. There is nothing illegal about the lease. It does not have to go out to bid. It's more of a convenience thing than anything else.

We didn't get the deal because most of us here don't have a herd of cattle we can graze. And if we did, that we could evacuate quickly. And if we did, how would the BBC board know and trust us?

Perhaps I don't have the herd because I cannot afford the lease prices. I could at that price. As for evacuation, worst case scenario they have a cattle auction every week.
Standard rate lease is $2000/year, or $167/mo. If you can't afford that I don't see how you could afford running a herd either. What are round bales going for these days? I saw them at $125 each. Even at half that price, if you can't afford a $167/month lease, you can't afford to feed your cows through the winter.
doubledog
techno-ag said:

skeetboy3 said:

techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

EliteElectric said:

techno-ag said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

Standard rate lease is $2000/year, or $167/mo. If you can't afford that I don't see how you could afford running a herd either. What are round bales going for these days? I saw them at $125 each. Even at half that price, if you can't afford a $167/month lease, you can't afford to feed your cows through the winter.
Well if thy had the Dorn discount $1/year they could afford it..
doubledog
Tibbers said:

You're right, from the The Eagle article on Friday, the BBC were unaware of what was going on with the land from what I gathered. I probably misread the article. I read it in passing. I have no idea.
If true, this would make the $1/year "discount" and even deeper issue. If the BBC did not award the $1/year "discount" who did and why. Did that party or individual have the authority to award such a good deal? Did that party or individual vet any other potentials lessees? Was that party or individual the present Mayor of Bryan?

FishrCoAg
AG
techno-ag said:

skeetboy3 said:

techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

EliteElectric said:

techno-ag said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

You might be correct if the standard lease rate was in fact 2k per year. Just because you keep stating it doesn't make it accurate.
doubledog
FishrCoAg said:

techno-ag said:

skeetboy3 said:

techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

EliteElectric said:

techno-ag said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

You might be correct if the standard lease rate was in fact 2k per year. Just because you keep stating it doesn't make it accurate.
2K is the average for Texas.. Not for Brazos County...
techno-ag
AG
doubledog said:

FishrCoAg said:

techno-ag said:

skeetboy3 said:

techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

EliteElectric said:

techno-ag said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

What's the average for Brazos County?
doubledog
techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

FishrCoAg said:

techno-ag said:

skeetboy3 said:

techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

EliteElectric said:

techno-ag said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

Last time I checked it was about $3500/year. Anyone have an update?
duffelpud
AG
Apparently Rafter D's franchise was involuntarily ended, according to the Texas Comptroller's website. Franchise tax responsibilities end, again according to the Comptroller's site, "because the entity has ceased to exist in its state or country of formation or has ceased doing business in Texas. The entity's registration or certificate was ended as a result of a tax forfeiture or an administrative forfeiture by Texas Secretary of State."

When did that happen? How does the LLC maintain a lease and insurance in that state?
"What's this button do?"
TexasAggie_02
AG
I don't how that all works, but someone mentioned a few days ago that when that happens, the company essentially reverts to a sole proprietorship.
Tailgate88
AG
duffelpud said:

Apparently Rafter D's franchise was involuntarily ended, according to the Texas Comptroller's website. Franchise tax responsibilities end, again according to the Comptroller's site, "because the entity has ceased to exist in its state or country of formation or has ceased doing business in Texas. The entity's registration or certificate was ended as a result of a tax forfeiture or an administrative forfeiture by Texas Secretary of State."

When did that happen? How does the LLC maintain a lease and insurance in that state?

All you have to do is fill out a form and mail them a check to get it reinstated as long as it hasn't been too long.
techno-ag
AG
doubledog said:

techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

FishrCoAg said:

techno-ag said:

skeetboy3 said:

techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

EliteElectric said:

techno-ag said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

For 200 acres? Even at that price, if you can't afford it you can't afford to feed cows round bales at $125 each all through the winter. Plus range cubes, etc.
angus55
techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

FishrCoAg said:

techno-ag said:

skeetboy3 said:

techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

EliteElectric said:

techno-ag said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

For 200 acres? Even at that price, if you can't afford it you can't afford to feed cows round bales at $125 each all through the winter. Plus range cubes, etc.

What is your point? What are you even arguing?

Yes it is a sweetheart deal friend new mayor got that was bought with COB money. That is the fact that stinks.
We'll win this war, but we'll win it only by fighting and by showing the Germans that we've got more guts than they have, or ever will have. We're not going to just shoot the sons-of-b******, were going to rip out their living G*******d guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun c********** by the bushel-f****** basket. War is a bloody killing business. You've got to spill their blood or they will spill yours. Rip them up the belly. Shot them in the guts.
techno-ag
AG
angus55 said:

techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

FishrCoAg said:

techno-ag said:

skeetboy3 said:

techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

EliteElectric said:

techno-ag said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

Yes it is a sweetheart deal friend new mayor got that was bought with COB money. That is the fact that stinks.
The statement I responded to was made multiple times how "many" cattlemen were denied this deal. Somebody said if only he had the deal, then he could afford to buy cattle and run them on the land.

This is of course absurd because grazing leases are not very expensive at all. If he cannot afford a lease at the state average, or even a supposedly higher local average, then he can't afford to even feed the cattle.

The lease is a nothing burger despite all the board attention paid to it, insinuating something nefarious, and various ridiculous statements like that.
doubledog
techno-ag said:

angus55 said:

techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

FishrCoAg said:

techno-ag said:

skeetboy3 said:

techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

EliteElectric said:

techno-ag said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

The statement I responded to was made multiple times how "many" cattlemen were denied this deal. Somebody said if only he had the deal, then he could afford to buy cattle and run them on the land.

This is of course absurd because grazing leases are not very expensive at all. If he cannot afford a lease at the state average, or even a supposedly higher local average, then he can't afford to even feed the cattle.

The lease is a nothing burger despite all the board attention paid to it, insinuating something nefarious, and various ridiculous statements like that.
AGAIN at $1/year it would be VERY affordable. But that is not the point. The point is that there are many cattlemen who could use this land, why was Dorn awarded it at such a discounted price. In your words because he was "known and trusted". or as it is commonly known as "the good old boys network".

But keep distracting... It is entertaining.
davido
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

I don't how that all works, but someone mentioned a few days ago that when that happens, the company essentially reverts to a sole proprietorship.

The company can also go in and just file it to renew it at anytime unless someone else has registered that company LLC name. If someone else took it, they can register a slightly different name. The penalty for reporting franchise tax late when nothing is due is only $50. Functionally not a big deal unless there's an event that happens in that lapsed window that leaves the owner personally unprotected.
davido
AG
angus55 said:

Not a fact. That's your opinion. You might even think it a popular opinion, but it's still no more than that. You have zero knowledge or evidence of how, why, or by whom that arrangement was initiated.
taxpreparer
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

I did, but in all fairness, I do not know what tax return they file with the IRS. They have lost any liability protection the LLC status provides then. Again, it can be remedied by filing any missing franchise returns, paying penalties and requesting reinstatement.
doubledog
davido said:

angus55 said:

Not a fact. That's your opinion. You might even think it a popular opinion, but it's still no more than that. You have zero knowledge or evidence of how, why, or by whom that arrangement was initiated.
This is true, that is why we must keep up the pressure. The public needs to know if our officials are good stewards of the public's resources.
whisperingbill
I have no dog in this fight, but I am curious to know if this is the only such arrangement the mayor or anyone else has with the city? Grazing land should lease for a minimum of 20 dollars a acre per year. I know many people who pay more than that. To be fair, some places need a lot of work on fences and other improvements, so the person who is leasing the land will sometimes agree to spend the lease money on improvements to the land as compensation for the lease. I'm just curious if this is a one-off incident, or do these types of "leases" exist on other city property?
b0ridi
March 19th, 2023 Update: All quiet on the Western front

techno-ag
AG
whisperingbill said:

I have no dog in this fight, but I am curious to know if this is the only such arrangement the mayor or anyone else has with the city? Grazing land should lease for a minimum of 20 dollars a acre per year. I know many people who pay more than that. To be fair, some places need a lot of work on fences and other improvements, so the person who is leasing the land will sometimes agree to spend the lease money on improvements to the land as compensation for the lease. I'm just curious if this is a one-off incident, or do these types of "leases" exist on other city property?
Remember, it's not city property.
trouble
AG
Technically
TexasAggie_02
AG
whisperingbill said:

When asked by reporters if they had any other such leases, BBC replied that they had no other grazing leases. Nice semantic play there. Would be nice to know what other properties they have and if they are leased for any reason, and how much?
Hornbeck
trouble said:

Technically

Paid for by tax dollars, by an agency that is housed and staffed at the city, by city employees / council members...

Definitely not the city.

Although several people in this whole fiasco have referred to it as "city property" including Dorn...

We all know everyone involved here is allowed to make mistakes and omissions...
techno-ag
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

whisperingbill said:

When asked by reporters if they had any other such leases, BBC replied that they had no other grazing leases. Nice semantic play there. Would be nice to know what other properties they have and if they are leased for any reason, and how much?
Are you saying they own buildings and might be leasing them out? Or are you implying they have land and are leasing the land for something besides grazing?
doubledog
whisperingbill said:

Perhaps it is time to bring in an outside agency to investigate. If this a "nothing burger" as some have suggested then there is nothing to be concerned about... Is there?
GSS
davido said:

GSS said:

Gutierrez/La Pistola run cattle, Rafter D does not. He has his own holding pens at his facility on FM60.
And now long after the "export deal" supposedly went awry, the longhorns are still onsite, at the Jones Rd property.. And when the repeated breakouts of the longhorns occur(ed), Rafter D didn't get called (because no one knew that was the leaseholder!), Gutierrez did (well, actually it was Brazos county SO...).
And don't forget, in the letter to the Youtuber, Gutierrez was named as the "lessee", by his attorney.
And that Dorn clearly stated "it is not a 10 year lease...(when it is, even with the vacate clause)"

And your second paragraph is just an unrelated rant....
techno-ag
AG
doubledog said:

whisperingbill said:

Perhaps it is time to bring in an outside agency to investigate. If this a "nothing burger" as some have suggested then there is nothing to be concerned about... Is there?
Except there's nothing to investigate. Nothing illegal occurred with the lease or the airplane. The only legal action has taken place by the pilot who has sued and looks to be trying to cash in somehow.

This is only a "big deal" to a dozen people or so here on TexAgs who think they've uncovered a Brazos County Watergate or something.
doubledog
techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

whisperingbill said:

Except there's nothing to investigate. Nothing illegal occurred with the lease or the airplane. The only legal action has taken place by the pilot who has sued and looks to be trying to cash in somehow.

This is only a "big deal" to a dozen people or so here on TexAgs who think they've uncovered a Brazos County Watergate or something.
Then an independent investigation will not find anything. What it would do is restore faith in the local government and its officials.

cslifer
You seem to be deliberately missing the point. He is asking for an investigation because we don't know if anything illegal happened. According to you there was no extortion attempt. According to the pilot and insurance company there was. According to you there is nothing unethical about the lease. According to common sense there is something unethical at minimum about the lease. Why not have someone look into it and see? Don't we all want the truth?
Another Doug
AG
Does the "nothing illegal" cover the cowboy with a fake identity that witnessed the landing and a month later tried to illegally sell the mayor cows.
SMR
cslifer said:

You seem to be deliberately missing the point. He is asking for an investigation because we don't know if anything illegal happened. According to you there was no extortion attempt. According to the pilot and insurance company there was. According to you there is nothing unethical about the lease. According to common sense there is something unethical at minimum about the lease. Why not have someone look into it and see? Don't we all want the truth?

This is entirely reasonable. There are clearly questions surrounding this. Nearly every answer from those involved has stepped on the facts of another. We're 20 pages in and I still don't have a clear idea of what actually happened because the press releases, lawsuit documents, and lessee statements posted here all conflict. It seems like nobody playing defense has their story straight.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.