Plane update

149,869 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by maroon barchetta
Jsimonds58
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
To make it even better, had they just not gotten greedy and tried to fleece this fella, nobody would have been the wiser either.
Charpie
AG
Seriously. If they had just said, "come get the plane," none of us would have known or cared about anything.
trouble
AG
This is what will sink them.
trouble
AG
It's on GSS's post
Jim Singletons Eyebrows
The radio interviewer didn't bring "plane-gate" up. Never-the-less the mayor seemed 'squirmy' during his interview. Curiously, during a discussion about the ambulance imbroglio he kept referring to that fiasco as an 'accountant problem'. What does that mean?
SMR
Jim Singletons Eyebrows said:

The radio interviewer didn't bring "plane-gate" up. Never-the-less the mayor seemed 'squirmy' during his interview. Curiously, during a discussion about the ambulance imbroglio he kept referring to that fiasco as an 'accountant problem'. What does that mean?

Which is tangentially interesting because I'm fairly certain it was a College Station ambulance that responded to the emergency landing of that plane.
I Sold DeSantis Lifts
These types of things start off with a little greed and blossom into big problems.
trouble
AG
It's always the cover-up that gets you.
SMR
trouble said:

It's always the cover-up that gets you.

Unless it's the local news covering the cover-up with their softball non-investigations and reporting.

ETA: removal of specific news affiliate.
trouble
AG
You really have a proven with them, don't you? They aren't the only game in town. WTAW had the mayor on today and said nothing. Has the Eagle posted anything? KAGS? Anyone else?
Snoodish
AG
You are dead wrong and clearly have no understanding on how civil claims like this are handled. Gutierrez did not have to be the owner of the property or the tenant to bring a claim against the pilot to assert a claim for damages to his cattle operation (i.e. lost profits) caused by the pilot's undisputed negligence. As far as asserting the claim, it is against the pilot and the pilot turns the claim into his insurance company which it sounds like he did except that it also sounds like his insurance company did absolutely nothing to assist the pilot in contacting the BBC or Rafter to get the plane back, assuming there was actual motivation to do so. There is no evidence that Gutierrez prevented the pilot or his insurance company from coming to get the plane--only the pilot's claim Gutierrez asked him to pay him for damages and that doesnt mean he was extorting the pilot to pay it in order to get the plane.

The BBC doesnt have to engage in competitive bidding like other governmental entities in Texas may be subject to but it has an interest in leasing the property to someone who can maintain an ag exemption to reduce the BBC's property taxes but if any of you are ranchers and are envious of the deal Rafter made, why dont you contact the BBC make a better offer. As the KBTX article notes, Gutierrez had a business deal with the tenant and it makes no difference whether he is the mayor or not---Rafter could do business with whoever they want and they are excellent at what they do.

Gutierrez is likely not commenting because it is not in his interest to do so. You folks whining about this deal got a statement from the BBC and Rafter as well as news coverage and it didnt satisfy you. It is clear some of you have made up your mind based on the limited information you have and nothing Gutierrez says or subsequently is released to the public is going to change your mind about your conspiracy theory, or you only commenting in this forum because you have an axe to grind with Gutierrez and using this forum to stir up controversy for him.
SMR
trouble said:

You really have a proven with them, don't you? They aren't the only game in town. WTAW had the mayor on today and said nothing. Has the Eagle posted anything? KAGS? Anyone else?

You're 100% correct. It's not one specific news agency. I edited my comment to correct that. I have no beef with one over the other. All local news providers should be digging deeper than simply posting a news release.
FishrCoAg
AG
Snoodish said:

You are dead wrong and clearly have no understanding on how civil claims like this are handled. Gutierrez did not have to be the owner of the property or the tenant to bring a claim against the pilot to assert a claim for damages to his cattle operation (i.e. lost profits) caused by the pilot's undisputed negligence. As far as asserting the claim, it is against the pilot and the pilot turns the claim into his insurance company which it sounds like he did except that it also sounds like his insurance company did absolutely nothing to assist the pilot in contacting the BBC or Rafter to get the plane back, assuming there was actual motivation to do so. There is no evidence that Gutierrez prevented the pilot or his insurance company from coming to get the plane--only the pilot's claim Gutierrez asked him to pay him for damages and that doesnt mean he was extorting the pilot to pay it in order to get the plane.

The BBC doesnt have to engage in competitive bidding like other governmental entities in Texas may be subject to but it has an interest in leasing the property to someone who can maintain an ag exemption to reduce the BBC's property taxes but if any of you are ranchers and are envious of the deal Rafter made, why dont you contact the BBC make a better offer. As the KBTX article notes, Gutierrez had a business deal with the tenant and it makes no difference whether he is the mayor or not---Rafter could do business with whoever they want and they are excellent at what they do.

Gutierrez is likely not commenting because it is not an interest to do so. You folks whining about this deal got a statement from the BBC and Rafter as well as news coverage and it didnt satisfy you. It is clear some of you have made up your mind based on the limited information you have or have an axe to grind with Gutierrez and are only using this forum to stir up controversy where it shouldnt exist.

Is the BBC as a non profit quasi governmental entity even subject to property tax if they are not making a profit on the property? I know EDC's are not.
GSS
trouble said:

I'll give WTAW a pass, as Gutierrez was there for a "Mayor" segment, not as the owner of traumatized longhorns cattle, on a sweet deal for leased land.
Jsimonds58
AG
Yeah the amateur hour statement from the BBC and subsequent article didn't satisfy anyone with a brain shocker. And you can try and grandstand and handwave away the issue of the lease to the mayor but it's not going away. The more y'all try and act like we should just shut up the more folks are gonna get mad, so great strategy. Might want to tell the mayor it should very much be of interest to address this.
Jsimonds58
AG
You are giving people an axe to grind with him with this story and his behavior, maybe start there instead of assuming that a small town Texas mayor who just got elected has an entire army of enemies
GSS
".... but if any of you are ranchers and are envious of the deal Rafter made, why dont you contact the BBC make a better offer."

A little late for that, isn't it? A 10 year / $1 year lease is already in place.
Hornbeck
/BBC member has entered the chat.

The $1 lease and the mayor running his cows on it, maybe he pays $2? Per year. This is a big nothingburger people! Move along!
Jsimonds58
AG
Just a bunch of ingrates with an axe to grind against the poor little old mayor
Hornbeck
trouble said:

Channel 3 is basically the only news in town anymore, sadly. The Eagle is a shell of its former self, KAGS and KYLE are skeleton crews as well. The Infomaniacs won't press the issue, I guess because of well, it's a small town.
doubledog
Snoodish said:

Gutierrez did not have to be the owner of the property or the tenant to bring a claim against the pilot to assert a claim for damages to his cattle operation (i.e. lost profits) caused by the pilot's undisputed negligence. As far as asserting the claim, it is against the pilot and the pilot turns the claim into his
I have always filed a claim with the insurance company first... The other side gives me their insurance information and then I file a claim... Have you never had an accident?

Also Gutierrez the man can stay silent... Gutierrez the mayor needs to get on top of this right away.

agfan2013
AG
GSS said:

".... but if any of you are ranchers and are envious of the deal Rafter made, why dont you contact the BBC make a better offer."

A little late for that, isn't it? A 10 year / $1 year lease is already in place.

https://www.nass.usda.gov/Statistics_by_State/Texas/Publications/Current_News_Release/2022_Rls/tx-rent-2022.pdf

According to the National Agricultural Statistics Service, the average lease rate for grazing pasture in Brazos county was $11 per acre per year. So what should cost approximately $2156 per year for 196 acres is being leased for $1? Hell of a deal, espically since it's for 10 years.

I also dont know many people who lease ground and then just let other unrelated folks run livestock on it for free (even if the lease is super cheap and way below market value). Seems mighty neighborly of Rafter D.....

The plane owner got an email from the mayor's lawyer saying they're the lease tennenats but now the business council's statement say its Rafter D? And the council only learned after this incident the mayor is running livestock out there? Give me a break, they all know each other on that council and run in the same circles. Bunch of lies being told....

Too much smoke, to not be a fire somewhere.
Charpie
AG
One of the things I found interesting when I moved here last month was the fact that a lot of tv news was being served out of Waco. Talk about night and day.
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
trouble said:

... They aren't the only game in town. WTAW had the mayor on today and said nothing. Has the Eagle posted anything? KAGS? Anyone else?
Playing devil's advocate, it's possible several media looked into the situation and found it to be a non-story. The initial claim for a demand of $250k is what makes the ears perk up to begin with. What if that's an exaggeration, mayor is not the lessee of the land, and the land is leased for fair market value, then what's the story? News media typically does not do stories to refute rumors.

Again, I have no facts, just tossing out the possibility there is no story to report, after gathering all the facts. Which none of us seem to have.
Charpie
AG
agfan2013 said:

GSS said:

https://www.nass.usda.gov/Statistics_by_State/Texas/Publications/Current_News_Release/2022_Rls/tx-rent-2022.pdf

According to the National Agricultural Statistics Service, the average lease rate for grazing pasture in Brazos county was $11 per acre per year. So what should cost approximately $2156 per year is being leased for $1? Hell of a deal, espically since its for 10 years.

I also dont know many people who lease ground and then just let other folks run livestock on it for free (even if the lease is super cheap and way below market value). Seems mighty neighborly of Rafter D.....

The plane owner got an email from the mayor's lawyer saying they're the lease tennenats but now the business council's statement say its Rafter D? And the council only learned after this incident the mayor is running livestock out there? Give me a break, they all know each other on that council and run in the same circles. Bunch of lies being told....

Too much smoke, to not be a fire somewhere.
I know of someone who leases his land out to pasture. He's actually posted on this thread. It's exactly why I shared the story with him.

I agree. When the smoke settles, we are going to find out that a bunch of handshake/back end deals are happening to ones advantage.
trouble
AG
Or at least one of them is waiting on FOIA requests to be filled.
cgdorn
AG
Come on Ags. Please stop spreading lies about the Plane incident. There are a group of people that are spreading lies about the incident with no firsthand knowledge. Let me set a few of the facts straight.
1. The land in question has not been leased to La Pistola Cattle Co. and never has been.
2. The land was leased to Rafter D Genetics in April of 2022 to use to run cattle. I am the owner of Rafter D Genetics.
3. The lease was offered for 2 reasons, First, by running cattle on it, the city does not need to mow the pastures to upkeep them. Second, by running the cattle, the property is deemed "Agricultural" and then can receive Ag exempt status from the county.
4. La Pistola Cattle is a client of Rafter D Genetics and has been doing embryo production with La Pistola since 2021 as part of an export program to get Texas Longhorn cattle into Brazil.
5. The property is in close proximity to Rafter D Genetics and seemed to be ideal for housing the cattle in preparation for the next round of the embryo program which was scheduled to begin in early January 2023.
6. Rafter D Genetics worked with La Pistola Cattle to move their donor cows to the property to isolate them prior to starting the embryo program.
7. After the incident, Rafter D Genetics was never contacted by the airplane owner or his insurance company to make arrangements to move the airplane. Rafter D Genetics never refused to let the airplane be recovered.
8. As far as the claims about the cattle being stolen, that is a separate issue. The cattle on the property were never stolen. They were never reported as being stolen. However, one of the day labor cowboys that were helping work the cattle for La Pistola cattle was charged with stealing calves/cattle from the La Pistola lease pastures at other locations. How did that story get meshed with this one??

These are the FACTS! The people that are viciously reporting lies have ulterior motives. Come Ags, just remember "Aggies Do Not Lie, Cheat or Steal nor tolerate those who do"
cgdorn'81
trouble
AG
Was the land offered to the general public or only to you exclusively?

Is your lease really $1/year for 10 years?
BCSWguru
6 pages and we finally get first hand information. thank you for posting.
Charpie
AG
Howdy and thanks for posting. How much are you paying to run cattle on that land?
Jbob04
AG
What about the ridiculous claim that the "stress" of the incident caused problems with the cattle and the operations and caused a major loss of income?
trouble
AG
And since it's not public record, how would the pilot have any idea that the mayor had cattle out there unless he was contacted by him?
BCSWguru
his name is right there on their website
trouble
AG
You're going to have to be a little more clear about which website.
Jsimonds58
AG
Conveniently left out of all of these defense narratives lol

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.