Plane update

149,859 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by maroon barchetta
TexasAggie_02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggiePhil said:

Looks like Gryder took his first video down.

Did he take it down himself, or was a takedown notice sent to YouTube?
Koko Chingo
AG
Another Doug said:

Another Doug said:

More bovine intrigue... the guy working the field when the plane landed was named Zachary Huff

A man claiming to be Zach Huff was then arrested for stealing cows a few weeks later

https://navasotanews.com/college-station-man-arrested-for-stealing-8-head-of-cattle-near-navasota-and-trying-to-sell-them/

And the real Zach Huff died 6 years ago.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/theeagle/name/zachary-huff-obituary?id=14327537

We need to get a CBS 48 Hours special on this one.

From the article: "The cattle were identified as stolen from a bit of leased land, owned by the La Pistola Cattle Company, located right at the Navasota River."

La Pistols Cattle Company is the same one owned by the Bryan Mayor, also leasing the lot owned by the BBC.

It goes on to say the owner of La Pistols denied Huff (or whoever the mystery man is) had permission to sell the cattle. He may have been a bad employee and cattle thief but had enough good left in him to tend to the plane crash.

Or as we are approaching Jerry Springer level with the plot twists, who knows

Justacitizen
La Pistola Cattle Company mentioned in that story is owned by Bobby Gutierrez.
What a weird coincidence.
HoopsAg
So the Mayor is leasing the land from the Bryan Business Council, (a council that he formed) and is raising and selling cattle on that same land. I'm by no means an expert here, but doesn't seem legal to me that he could make a profit for himself by using land that I assume has been funded through tax payers dollars. If I'm way off here someone please advise, I'm trying to fully understand this.
Charpie
AG
Koko Chingo said:

The Bryan Business Council (BBC) is a non-profit, created by the City of Bryan. (I believe this is a correct statement)

Here is where I am a little confused.

Because the BBC is a non-profit, it is not subject to the same type of open records and transparency rules a city in Texas must follow --- even though it was created by the city.

Am I understanding this correctly? What is really troubling; is that the more light that gets shines on the issue the worse it looks.

Along with the terms of the lease - I would like to find out if and when the the lease for the cattle was last paid to the BBC and for how much. I have a strong suspicion that the lease for the land has not been paid (as of last week) and may possibly only get paid before the YouTube guy fly's out here.

How do we get that information?
No. Because of the bolded part, they are subjected to open records AND open meetings.
Koko Chingo
AG
Charpie said:

No. Because of the bolded part, they are subjected to open records AND open meetings.
Thank You.

This entire thing is in the gray. Just trying to understand this whole thing.
snaglepuss
This is going to be a movie...
Justacitizen
A mayor runs his cattle on land owned by the BBC, which - on paper - is a separate entity from the city of Bryan. But the city established the BBC, and according to its charter, provides funding to the BBC. The council/mayor appoints the members of the BBC. A review of many current and past BBC members provides an interesting connect the dots exercise. Lots of back scratching going on there.

A pilot who has no apparent connections to BCS, has mid-air engine problems and floats silently to the ground onto said land. He did not hit any fencing, trees or cows and by all accounts, is lucky to have survived. He says a man identifying himself as the mayor of Bryan and owner of the cows called him and demanded some $250k in order to recover his plane. The money was requested because the crash somehow compromised the cows fertility.

Questions:
Is the cattle operation for profit or are they just large pets with long horns?
Is there a lease agreement for the mayor to put his herd on this land, and if so, is he paying fair market rate?
Is it even legal or ethical for this arrangement to exist?
The land in question is mere minutes from Easterwood airport. Is the owner of the cows wanting the pilot to believe that the noise of military flyovers, touch and goes and commercial flights don't bother the cows, but a small plane making a near silent landing in the grassy field does?

Observation:
It's not defamation if it's the truth.
meinkee
What's done in the dark comes to the light.
EBrazosAg
AG
I'm certain that KBTX will get a crack investigative reporter on this and have the dots connected soon ………
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MiMi
S
EBrazosAg said:

I'm certain that KBTX will get a crack investigative reporter on this and have the dots connected soon ………
trouble
AG
We need a Wayne Dolcefino.
kraut
AG
trouble said:

We need a Wayne Dolcefino.
I was thinking Marvin Zindler needs to come back from the dead on this one.
davido
AG
meinkee said:

What's done in the dark comes to the light.

Not if people never pull their heads out.
EBrazosAg
AG
https://www.courthousenews.com/texas-jury-awards-352-million-to-family-of-paralyzed-airport-worker/

Wayne's video for the plaintiff in this trial was gold. However much they paid him he deserved more.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
75AG
AG
Thank you mods for leaving this up!
woodiewood1
maroon barchetta said:

birdman said:

GSS said:

The neighbors in the area of the plane / cattle know all too well of the longhorns, as they have repeatedly broken through fences, wandering through adjacent property (Piper Lane and Drummer Circle area), including onto Jones road, and onto open property next to FM60.

Twice I have witness Brazos County SO being needed, to keep the cattle from FM60. This negligence on the part of the owner is apparently negated by the cattle owner, due to the claim Brazos county is a "fence out" county, meaning it's the adjacent landowners responsibility to keep his cattle out of their property .....but that BS (no pun intended) is being a lousy neighbor, and does not compute, when they breakout onto public land/roads.

I imagine this county is suburban enough that it doesn't deal with estrays often. In rural counties, the sheriff typically says, "just haul them to the sale barn and show us the receipt".

Listen to the police scanner on a regular basis and you will hear call for loose cattle and horses more often than you would expect.
I used to drive from Lufkin to BCS and back twice a week for decades and at least a couple times a week there was cattle roaming on the hwy ROW. I always thought that it would be nice to stock my freezer every six months or so.
dubi
techno-ag
AG
Wrong thread.
JP76
Oh what a tangled web we weave
Hornbeck
Wow. I go on vacay, and this escalated quickly. Just watched the video, and read the letter. This sure looks like a conflict of interest by the mayor at best… extortion at worst. Hope they don't lock this thread. And, as long as we're throwing out ABC13 folks…. We need Pooja Lohdia, she does a lot of the H-Town mayor/DA/County Judge stories….
OnlyForNow
AG
H
boredatwork08
AG
[We are going to leave this thread up and allow posters that stay on topic to keep posting and giving their opinions on this subject. -Staff]
techno-ag
AG
snaglepuss said:

This is going to be a movie...
It seems more like an episode of Yellowstone.
woodiewood1
Dup
woodiewood1
Justacitizen said:

A mayor runs his cattle on land owned by the BBC, which - on paper - is a separate entity from the city of Bryan. But the city established the BBC, and according to its charter, provides funding to the BBC. The council/mayor appoints the members of the BBC. A review of many current and past BBC members provides an interesting connect the dots exercise. Lots of back scratching going on there.

A pilot who has no apparent connections to BCS, has mid-air engine problems and floats silently to the ground onto said land. He did not hit any fencing, trees or cows and by all accounts, is lucky to have survived. He says a man identifying himself as the mayor of Bryan and owner of the cows called him and demanded some $250k in order to recover his plane. The money was requested because the crash somehow compromised the cows fertility.

Questions:
Is there a lease agreement for the mayor to put his herd on this land, and if so, is he paying fair market rate?
The land in question is mere minutes from Easterwood airport. Is the owner of the cows wanting the pilot to believe that the noise of military flyovers, touch and goes and commercial flights don't bother the cows, but a small plane making a near silent landing in the grassy field does?

Observation:
My first question would be if when the land was leased was it put out for bids or was it just leased to the mayor without anyone else having an opportunity to consider leasing it?
doubledog
woodiewood1 said:

Justacitizen said:

Questions:

Observation:
My first question would be if when the land was leased was it put out for bids or was it just leased to the mayor without anyone else having an opportunity to consider leasing it?
My take is that on paper it was a bid, in reality only the mayor was allowed to bid.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
[We gave a warning about derailing this thread. -Staff]
PS3D
[We gave a warning about derailing this thread. -Staff]
GSS
maroon barchetta said:

birdman said:

GSS said:

The neighbors in the area of the plane / cattle know all too well of the longhorns, as they have repeatedly broken through fences, wandering through adjacent property (Piper Lane and Drummer Circle area), including onto Jones road, and onto open property next to FM60.

Twice I have witness Brazos County SO being needed, to keep the cattle from FM60. This negligence on the part of the owner is apparently negated by the cattle owner, due to the claim Brazos county is a "fence out" county, meaning it's the adjacent landowners responsibility to keep his cattle out of their property .....but that BS (no pun intended) is being a lousy neighbor, and does not compute, when they breakout onto public land/roads.

I imagine this county is suburban enough that it doesn't deal with estrays often. In rural counties, the sheriff typically says, "just haul them to the sale barn and show us the receipt".

Listen to the police scanner on a regular basis and you will hear call for loose cattle and horses more often than you would expect.
Very true, we live rural, know it can happen. My comment was directed at this particular location, and this particular herd. Chronic problems need a different response by authorities.
EliteElectric
in fairness guys there is a lot of wild speculation and conclusion jumping going on in these threads. Like I said in previous threads, Bobby is a good man who gives a lot of his time, effort and resources to the community. He is being unfairly portrayed in this thread in my opinion. I can't stop that but I can share my opinion, that he is being unfairly portrayed.
Jsimonds58
AG
Would love to hear how us talking about him shaking down a pilot while running cows on land taxpayers effectively pay for, is him being portrayed in an unfair way. Because all of that reads like a slimeball politician
Jsimonds58
AG
In short please present some facts for his defense if you feel like this is a witch hunt.
Jbob04
AG
So you agree with him asking an insane amount of money for a pilot to come get his airplane?
Charpie
AG
Jsimonds58 said:

Would love to hear how us talking about him shaking down a pilot while running cows on land taxpayers effectively pay for, is him being portrayed in an unfair way. Because all of that reads like a slimeball politician
Yeah. I think he should attempt to clear the air.

The problem with that is that in doing so, he brings MORE attention to him, and he may not be doing the right thing.

The RIGHT thing to do here is the own up to whatever is going on, and deal with the consequences. Will that happen? Likely not.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.