Plane update

149,875 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by maroon barchetta
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Snoodish said:

Wrong. The BBC, the landowner, and Rafter D, the tenant, never heard from the pilot, his lawyers or insurance company. Maybe if you read Gutierrez's lawyers response you could get a better handle on the situation. Clearly the pilot's lawyers didn't do any due diligence when they sued because they didn't contact the right people and sued a total uninvolved person who has nothing to do with the land or the retrieval process.

But stay mad and fumbling in your search for a legitimate controversy.
The Mayor and the Mayor's lawyers both claimed, to the pilot, that the Mayor was the lessee. Perhaps that confused the pilot's lawyers who took the Mayor's word that he is the lessee of the land in question and had some sort of right to keep the plane hostage. Otherwise the Mayor had no right to keep the pilot off the land in question.

Your right due diligence is too blame.

TequilaMockingbird
cslifer said:

So the lawsuit is posted on kbtx. Attached is a letter sent by the attorney retained by the insurance company. He specifically says the mayor was contacted several times but refused to allow recovery unless his demands were met. Didn't he deny ever hearing from them? He REALLY needs to get his story straight. It really makes you wonder what else he hasn't been entirely forthcoming about.

I think the good mayor done stepped in it.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Pilot needs better lawyers, but that doesn't excuse the mayor's actions.
techno-ag
AG
doubledog said:

Snoodish said:

Wrong. The BBC, the landowner, and Rafter D, the tenant, never heard from the pilot, his lawyers or insurance company. Maybe if you read Gutierrez's lawyers response you could get a better handle on the situation. Clearly the pilot's lawyers didn't do any due diligence when they sued because they didn't contact the right people and sued a total uninvolved person who has nothing to do with the land or the retrieval process.

But stay mad and fumbling in your search for a legitimate controversy.
The Mayor and the Mayor's lawyers both claimed, to the pilot, that the Mayor was the lessee. Perhaps that confused the pilot's lawyers who took the Mayor's word that he is the lessee of the land in question and had some sort of right to keep the plane hostage. Otherwise the Mayor had no right to keep the pilot off the land in question.

Your right due diligence is too blame.

That, or the pilot wrongly assumed he was.
Tibbers
Didn't the cease and desist order sent to the youtube guy state that the mayor was the lesee of the land as well? Am I getting that wrong?
trouble
AG
That is correct
DannyDuberstein
AG
From where I sit, it seems like the pilot's lawyers got confused because the mayor and others involved with this property can't seem to keep their conflict of interest stories straight.
Jsimonds58
AG
Yes but please ignore that as it messes up their narrative
TexasAggie_02
AG
He knows that, it's been mentioned repeatedly. He's just trying obfuscate.
techno-ag
AG
Tibbers said:

Didn't the cease and desist order sent to the youtube guy state that the mayor was the lesee of the land as well? Am I getting that wrong?
Maybe the mayor's lawyer got it wrong too. I'm presuming he was the one writing and sending any CNDs.
EliteElectric
techno-ag said:

Tibbers said:

Maybe the mayor's lawyer got it wrong too. I'm presuming he was the one writing and sending any CNDs.

Correct. IIRC Lawyer was on vacation when he penned the C&D and just got the leasee part wrong.
trouble
AG
So he also didn't do his due diligence?

Why is it not a big deal for the mayor's lawyer to get something wrong but a huge mistake if the pilot's lawyer does?
EliteElectric
trouble said:

Why is it not a big deal for the mayor's lawyer to get something wrong but a huge mistake if the pilot's lawyer does?

Legally it's not, it's only a big deal on message boards. As I have said many times, this thing will play out in the courts and both sides will get the chance to be heard.
BiochemAg97
AG
trouble said:

Mayors lawyer wrote a C&D. Pilots lawyer filed a lawsuit. There is supposed to be a certain level of due diligence to file a lawsuit, like getting the right people have having good reasons to believe the lawsuit is valid.

Stupid of the mayors lawyer to state he has the lease. Lawsuit should get tossed, but pilots lawyer could refile. wasted money.
SPF250
AG
jh88ag said:

techno-ag said:

Ok. It's a 5013c controlled by the city, correct? Maybe they don't need to put this out for bid by law. In fact, I would be very surprised if anything they've done is illegal.
I believe the tax return that someone posted earlier in the thread showed it to be a 501(c)(6); but everywhere else, I've seen it referenced as a 501(c)(3).
Based on the Form 990 posted earlier by TexasAggie_02, it is a 501(c)6. But here's an oddity. There are three types of 501(c)6's. Those are chambers of commerce, boards of Realtors and, wait for it, the National Football League. The common thread between those organizations is that they are membership based. Bryan Business Council, Inc appears to be none of these. It's stated purpose of economic development seems legit, but not as a 501(c)6.

FYI, I retired as the CFO of a decently sized and well funded 501(c)6. They are allowed to own assets and even make a reasonable profit despite non profit status. The economic development function is handled in different ways in different jurisdictions, often by chambers of commerce, and may be funded, in part, by municipalities.

Either the City of Bryan received very poor legal advice when setting up the corporation, or there are "members"of BBC, Inc that would be interesting to identify. I'm late to the thread and haven't lived in the area in an extended period of time. Just thought I would throw out one more unusual aspect to the whole situation.
doubledog
techno-ag said:

Tibbers said:

Or (since we are playing that game), the Mayor and his lawyer thought that passing the Mayor off as the lessee would give the Mayor some sort of leverage in the plane extraction negotiations.
techno-ag
AG
EliteElectric said:

trouble said:

Legally it's not, it's only a big deal on message boards.
As I have said many times, this thing will play out in the courts and both sides will get the chance to be heard.
Truth.
jh88ag
AG
SPF250 said:

jh88ag said:

techno-ag said:

Ok. It's a 5013c controlled by the city, correct? Maybe they don't need to put this out for bid by law. In fact, I would be very surprised if anything they've done is illegal.
I believe the tax return that someone posted earlier in the thread showed it to be a 501(c)(6); but everywhere else, I've seen it referenced as a 501(c)(3).
Based on the Form 990 posted earlier by TexasAggie_02, it is a 501(c)6. But here's an oddity. There are three types of 501(c)6's. Those are chambers of commerce, boards of Realtors and, wait for it, the National Football League. The common thread between those organizations is that they are membership based. Bryan Business Council, Inc appears to be none of these. It's stated purpose of economic development seems legit, but not as a 501(c)6.

FYI, I retired as the CFO of a decently sized and well funded 501(c)6. They are allowed to own assets and even make a reasonable profit despite non profit status. The economic development function is handled in different ways in different jurisdictions, often by chambers of commerce, and may be funded, in part, by municipalities.

Either the City of Bryan received very poor legal advice when setting up the corporation, or there are "members"of BBC, Inc that would be interesting to identify. I'm late to the thread and haven't lived in the area in an extended period of time. Just thought I would throw out one more unusual aspect to the whole situation.

That is why I posted that. I am currently the CEO of a 501(c)(6) and a 501(c)(3). There are significant differences in the tax rules.
OnlyForNow
AG
Almost like a separate arm of the EDC???? Cuz that's exactly what this looks like to me.
Charpie
AG
Or to any number of cattle guys who'd love to have a $1 a year lease
Tibbers
jh88ag said:

SPF250 said:

jh88ag said:

techno-ag said:

That is why I posted that. I am currently the CEO of a 501(c)(6) and a 501(c)(3). There are significant differences in the tax rules.
What are some main advantages of setting it up as a 501(c)(6) as opposed to a 501(c)(3)?
Mathguy64
AG
501(c) groups are subdivided into separate categories. 3s are religious, educational, charitable groups. 6s are business or chamber groups.
trouble
AG
Wrong thread
GSS
An outstanding media question would be "Mr. Gutierrez, as the land leased was solely for your use, why did Rafter D procure the lease?"

Followup: "Being in the cattle business, have you ever seen a 10 yr/$1 per year lease, for almost 200 acres?"
Marooned_n_Aggieland
I would like to start an online movement to rename this thread to "De Plane, De Plane". Anyone with me?
Robert L. Peters
GSS said:

An outstanding media question would be "Mr. Gutierrez, as the land leased was solely for your use, why did Rafter D procure the lease?"

Followup: "Being in the cattle business, have you ever seen a 10 yr/$1 per year lease, for almost 200 acres?"

Haven't read the whole thread but how much was Rafter D paying?
What you say, Paper Champion? I'm gonna beat you like a dog, a dog, you hear me!
trouble
AG
$1/year
doubledog
trouble said:

$1/year
Don't look for this at any (local) media site. This fact is brought to you by MyBCS (Aggieland, F35)
Hornbeck
GSS said:

As I said earlier in the thread, that doesn't serve the journalists purposes. When they graduate from the news, they are hired as "Communications Director" at one of the cities or county, or large non-profit that the politicos are involved in like the 501c3 hospital.

Make too many waves, and you can kiss that cushy gig goodbye.
Hornbeck
I thought the am talk station had it posted to their website. Not much of a radio person myself...
doubledog
Hornbeck said:

I thought the am talk station had it posted to their website. Not much of a radio person myself...
I stand corrected... Perhaps other local news sources will take up the story...
cavscout96
AG
woodiewood1 said:

Jsimonds58 said:

doubledog said:

EliteElectric said:

techno-ag said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

I would guess that if the mayor had never called the pilot on January 3rd, that the plane would be gone by now.
The circumstantial evidence indeed seems very strong to support this. The pilot found out the mayor was going to submit a claim to his insurance company and then sued for nearly the same amount.
Also it sounds to me like the pilot was expecting a "total of the aircraft" he never got, so instead of a new plane he's gonna have to retrieve and fix the old one. He may have been wrangling with his own insurance company for 2 months before deciding to go this latest route.
I doubt that.. The insurance would not cover the cost of a "new" airplane.

This discussion does not concern me. I would like to know how a person "known and trusted" by the BBC would get a $1/year lease on 200 acres of land.

FYI: "known and trusted" is called the "old boy network" in the rest of the United States. I thought those days were behind us, in Bryan at least. What I have learned from this whole incident is that the "old boy network" is alive and well in the BCS area.

Spot on, the focus needs to be on this bs with the BBC buying land and magically the mayor winds up running his cattle on it through one of his boys who has effectively a free lease.
$1 an acre leases are not uncommon. The money is "made" due to the Ag tax exemption savings for the owner. The 196 acres tract of land has a market value of Market Value of $5,314,383 and an Ag use value of
$29,721.

Hold the phone.....I thought BBC bought this tract for 12M+

You're saying its market value is less than half?

Please tell me that's a mistake
Tibbers
Is there a connection to whom the BBC bought it from? Do we know the purchase was for 12 million?
Mathguy64
AG
Tibbers said:

Is there a connection to whom the BBC bought it from? Do we know the purchase was for 12 million?
The legal documents from the purchase were posted earlier. It showed the owners and sale price of $12.9MM.

They didn't show who if anyone was the broker or who if anyone got commission on the sale.
Tibbers
http://web.archive.org/web/20161221165608/https://docs.bryantx.gov/planning_development/P&Z/2015/10-01-15/ANNEX15-03,%20Armstrong.pdf

This is interesting. Not sure if the land is still under C-2 zoning but it appears efforts were made in 2015 to tie this land with the development of the rest of the bio tech business in that area.

https://cityofbryantx.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=&meta_id=31327

https://cityofbryantx.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=&meta_id=28807

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.