Plane update

149,857 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by maroon barchetta
BQ_90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Belton Ag said:

cslifer said:

Except with that lease, that we have all seen, there are none. That is a ten year lease. If we were to talk about penalties, let's say it is 5 years of lease payments…$5. I'll take that in a heartbeat. If you were to make the argument it is month to month, it is month to month at 8 CENTS which is also an amazing deal.
I'm not trying to argue that it's not an amazing deal, just saying that it offers no protection at all for the lessee other than the guaranteed low rate for a set period. It can be terminated at any time, provided the BBC gives written notice. At this point I'd almost bet money it gets terminated soon now that it's come to light. To me that's not really a 10 year lease.

Almost every cattle lease is year to year and many have exit clauses like this. Esp near any urban area

Again if this is so bad of a deal then why is the mayors buddy running cows out there?
techno-ag
AG
BQ_90 said:

techno-ag said:

BQ_90 said:

techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

Chrundle the Great said:

Wtaw Bill Oliver just did a news break on 1150 discusing it. Pretty much paraphrased the kbtx article but right at the end added "Rafter d pays the bbc 1$/year to lease the property but is required to hold $1 million in insurance"

So there's a somewhat official confirmation of the $1 lease and a new twist that I guess the BBC is going to use to justify the cheapness.
So a umbrella insurance policy of $1M which is about $200/year... Total cost about $201/year... Where do I sign up!
Not sure how many cattlemen around here are looking for more pastureland to lease under those stipulations. Mind you, I'm sure we could find some, but the typical City of Bryan citizen city slicker would neither need nor want a lease like that.

You'd have dozen people jump on that lease in seconds. I know people that live in Caldwell work on Bryan and lease pasture in Whitehall because that's all they could find. This $1 lease is crazy, you'd find people that'd pay way more

Grazing leases just aren't easy to find
Ok. They'd still have to vacate the premises in the event of a sale. That can't be convenient.

Guess what that's in every cattle lease. Most are year to year. If the terms are so bad then why is this buddy of the mayor running cows there then.

And it's very rare to sell a piece of property like this and immediately start construction. The new owner will want to keep ag value you on it to the last possible day.
From what we've read here, apparently they we're using it for an artificial insemination program on his herd.
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

Again if this is so bad of a deal then why is the mayors buddy running cows out there?
What? You responded to me but I'm assuming you meant this for someone else?
BQ_90
AG
techno-ag said:

BQ_90 said:

techno-ag said:

BQ_90 said:

techno-ag said:

doubledog said:

Chrundle the Great said:

Wtaw Bill Oliver just did a news break on 1150 discusing it. Pretty much paraphrased the kbtx article but right at the end added "Rafter d pays the bbc 1$/year to lease the property but is required to hold $1 million in insurance"

So there's a somewhat official confirmation of the $1 lease and a new twist that I guess the BBC is going to use to justify the cheapness.
So a umbrella insurance policy of $1M which is about $200/year... Total cost about $201/year... Where do I sign up!
Not sure how many cattlemen around here are looking for more pastureland to lease under those stipulations. Mind you, I'm sure we could find some, but the typical City of Bryan citizen city slicker would neither need nor want a lease like that.

You'd have dozen people jump on that lease in seconds. I know people that live in Caldwell work on Bryan and lease pasture in Whitehall because that's all they could find. This $1 lease is crazy, you'd find people that'd pay way more

Grazing leases just aren't easy to find
Ok. They'd still have to vacate the premises in the event of a sale. That can't be convenient.

Guess what that's in every cattle lease. Most are year to year. If the terms are so bad then why is this buddy of the mayor running cows there then.

And it's very rare to sell a piece of property like this and immediately start construction. The new owner will want to keep ag value you on it to the last possible day.
From what we've read here, apparently they we're using it for an artificial insemination program on his herd.

So why couldn't somebody else use it to raise heifers or hold bulls and do,the same thing this guy is doing with AI

Again there would be plenty of people wanting this sweet heart deal
Justacitizen
toolshed said:

Donnie Tuggle on the case!! Top story at 10 on KBTX.
Donnie's report was basically just a summary of this thread. He did add that none of the parties involved - the mayor, the city, the attorneys - would talk to him. Big surprise there.
KidDoc
AG
A link to the KBTX story for those interested: Pilot accuses mayor of holding plane for ransom after emergency landing in Bryan (kbtx.com)
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
88notchback
[Post your opinion on this board but we do not allow name calling or insulting posts. -Staff]
meinkee
I read the kbtx attachment on the lease. For grazing rights. I also know that cows of opposing genders will be cows if placed on the same plot of land.

So my question, would Rafter D be in violation of his 'grazing' lease if the cows were copulatiing or being artificially inseminated? Wouldn't that be running a business as opposed to grazing for a dollar?

No skin in the game, just a curios observer. As a member of the duffelpud fan club, I am waiting for him to weigh in with a zinger.
OnlyForNow
AG
Ya, a grazing lease is not an AI facility.

Yes I know they do this is work pens etc, but this is only a grazing lease… doesn't mention anything about the highly profitable and intensive work environment that AI is.

TexasAggie_02
AG
the whole point to having cattle is to make money, so i do not see your point there.
doubledog
techno-ag said:

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but if a 100 acre pasture leases for $1,000/year, it seems a 200 acre pasture would go for $2,000/year.
So $1999/yr more than the present lease. You made my point.
gigem92
AG
He may as well have said KBTX learned about this from TexAgs.

"The situation has sparked a heated discussion online, with many people expressing their opinions on the matter and questioning the mayor's involvement in the lease."
trouble
AG
I don't think they are doing the AI on this property. It's about the only part of Mr Dorn's post that I think is accurate. He said the property is in "close proximity" to his business and the donor cows were being held there to keep them isolated.
TexasAggie_02
AG
might be easier to AI on site since they are longhorns. would be a pain to be hauling them back and forth. but the corral on site on that property is not in very good shape, so maybe they do haul them back and forth.
doubledog
TexasAggie_02 said:

might be easier to AI on site since they are longhorns. would be a pain to be hauling them back and forth. but the corral on site on that property is not in very good shape, so maybe they do haul them back and forth.
At $1/year you think Dorn could improve the property just a tad, at his expense of course.
trouble
AG
It's really not very far at all. Given what his facility looks like (from his website) vs the corral on that property, I think they probably move them.
GSS
doubledog said:

techno-ag said:

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but if a 100 acre pasture leases for $1,000/year, it seems a 200 acre pasture would go for $2,000/year.
Plus the quoted number from the TSCRA site was an illustration of how a lease value could be constructed, not an actual, applicable value, for a lease. Other data indicated a lease value well above some debatable $2000 threshold.

And the actual lease also includes the clause "At no time may a greater number of cattle be placed on the property than is consistent with first class husbandry and conservation practice", i.e, overgrazing.
The repeated and chronic breakout of the herd, onto both public right-of-ways, and neighboring private property, indicate hungry cattle, and/or bad fences.
Lease holders are generally responsible for maintenance; has that been happening?

Donnie at KBTX needs to ask the neighbors, and Brazos county SO, of the number of calls.
BiochemAg97
AG
doubledog said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

At $1/year you think Dorn could improve the property just a tad, at his expense of course.

If it is functional for what is needed, why improve the property. The entire point is to sell it to a developer who will level everything and build stuff. The improvements would have 0 benefit to BBC. And Dorn runs the risk of making the improvements at the same time that BBC finds a buyer and gives him 30 days notice.
AggiePhil
AG
Looks like today is moving day.
dubi
AG
AggiePhil said:

src94
AG
meinkee said:

I read the kbtx attachment on the lease. For grazing rights. I also know that cows of opposing genders will be cows if placed on the same plot of land.

So my question, would Rafter D be in violation of his 'grazing' lease if the cows were copulatiing or being artificially inseminated? Wouldn't that be running a business as opposed to grazing for a dollar?

No skin in the game, just a curios observer. As a member of the duffelpud fan club, I am waiting for him to weigh in with a zinger.
So, would that be bulls identifying as cows, or steers, or....? Do they have specific preferred pronouns? Not sure what opposing genders you are referring to here. I mean, I'm pretty sure they already share the same restroom.
src94
Jsimonds58
AG
[You ignored our edits about thread derailing and now you have ignored an edit on this page about name calling or insulting posts. We are not going to allow that type of posting on this forum and you are on a break. -Staff]
curry97
AG
Can't the neighbors sue the mayor for mental stress due to him not controlling his cattle on said property?
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
curry97 said:

Can't the neighbors sue the mayor for mental stress due to him not controlling his cattle on said property?
Only if the neighbors are ovulating and being harvested.
maroon barchetta
Mr.Short-termMemory said:

curry97 said:

Only if the neighbors are ovulating and being harvested.
maroon barchetta
[This is not a thread about KBTX and we are done editing derailing posts without giving a ban. -Staff]
trouble
AG
AggiePhil said:

They better hurry before it storms
annie84
trouble said:

I don't think they are doing the AI on this property. It's about the only part of Mr Dorn's post that I think is accurate. He said the property is in "close proximity" to his business and the donor cows were being held there to keep them isolated.
And the "keeping isolated" part has not been working very well due to the number of times, these same cattle have gotten out of the property recently onto other landowners in the area...including one of my brother's land. On their septic field and in their front yard! My sister-in-law said she heard some thrashing in the wooded area close to their home and then counted 17 longhorn cows going down their driveway! This was within the last 10 days. Just makes me laugh.
annie84
GSS said:

doubledog said:

techno-ag said:

Plus the quoted number from the TSCRA site was an illustration of how a lease value could be constructed, not an actual, applicable value, for a lease. Other data indicated a lease value well above some debatable $2000 threshold.

And the actual lease also includes the clause "At no time may a greater number of cattle be placed on the property than is consistent with first class husbandry and conservation practice", i.e, overgrazing.
The repeated and chronic breakout of the herd, onto both public right-of-ways, and neighboring private property, indicate hungry cattle, and/or bad fences.
Lease holders are generally responsible for maintenance; has that been happening?

Donnie at KBTX needs to ask the neighbors, and Brazos county SO, of the number of calls.
Exactly!!!
91_Aggie
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

the whole point to having cattle is to make money, so i do not see your point there.

It may not be in this case, but having cattle is sometimes used to get an Ag exemption on the land to lower taxes. This is why you will see cattle on Prime real estate property along highway 6 in the city limits.

Now I guess you can arguing saving thousands in property tax is "making money"
TexasAggie_02
AG
but these are longhorn cattle, transferring them offsite is a PITA, and you run the risk of injury to the animals if you haul more than one at a time.
theoldone
cgdorn said:

Come on Ags. Please stop spreading lies about the Plane incident. There are a group of people that are spreading lies about the incident with no firsthand knowledge. Let me set a few of the facts straight.
1. The land in question has not been leased to La Pistola Cattle Co. and never has been.
2. The land was leased to Rafter D Genetics in April of 2022 to use to run cattle. I am the owner of Rafter D Genetics.
3. The lease was offered for 2 reasons, First, by running cattle on it, the city does not need to mow the pastures to upkeep them. Second, by running the cattle, the property is deemed "Agricultural" and then can receive Ag exempt status from the county.
4. La Pistola Cattle is a client of Rafter D Genetics and has been doing embryo production with La Pistola since 2021 as part of an export program to get Texas Longhorn cattle into Brazil.
5. The property is in close proximity to Rafter D Genetics and seemed to be ideal for housing the cattle in preparation for the next round of the embryo program which was scheduled to begin in early January 2023.
6. Rafter D Genetics worked with La Pistola Cattle to move their donor cows to the property to isolate them prior to starting the embryo program.
7. After the incident, Rafter D Genetics was never contacted by the airplane owner or his insurance company to make arrangements to move the airplane. Rafter D Genetics never refused to let the airplane be recovered.
8. As far as the claims about the cattle being stolen, that is a separate issue. The cattle on the property were never stolen. They were never reported as being stolen. However, one of the day labor cowboys that were helping work the cattle for La Pistola cattle was charged with stealing calves/cattle from the La Pistola lease pastures at other locations. How did that story get meshed with this one??

These are the FACTS! The people that are viciously reporting lies have ulterior motives. Come Ags, just remember "Aggies Do Not Lie, Cheat or Steal nor tolerate those who do"
Then you are the one we should send our insurance company to when we crash into the longhorns that regularly roam free around Jones Rd and Stotzer?
Nom de Plume
AG
I'm as curious as to why so many socks are posting and why people with Js in their handles are ranting (and posting personal negative Google business reviews) as I am in the actual topic.
DapperDanMan
AG
I don't know if it's already been said, but I just saw a drone video just a minute ago of the property, you could see the plane but not a single cow is visible. They may have removed the cattle while they extracted the plane from the property, but it's curious.
Slava Ukraini!
TexasAggie_02
AG
Cattle were there yesterday afternoon when I drove by.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.