Plane update

150,129 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by maroon barchetta
threecatcorner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They don't have a "hear from citizens" section of the meeting?
FishrCoAg
AG
threecatcorner said:

They don't have a "hear from citizens" section of the meeting?

Pretty sure they are required to have an open forum, but they can't go back and forth with the commentor or take any action on non agenda items. They may also limit comments deemed to be grievances against personnel, as those are normally done in closed session unless the employee requests it to be public.
Hornbeck
Marooned_n_Aggieland said:

Can any of these interested individuals on this thread go to a Bryan city council meeting and ask the question or at least get the question(s) in the record? This is good and all but it is clear that the parties addressed here are satisfied to just stay silent and wait for everything to blow over.

Including the local media types, who'd rather post cutesy's to instagram than ask any tough questions.

CoB would shut you down real quick if you started asking these types of questions in a Council meeting…
doubledog
The old saying rules for our local media...

"Do not defecate in your own front yard"

skeetboy3
AG
I miss Marvin Zindler. This deserves answers; if it was nothing, let the exposure erase doubt.
GSS
skeetboy3 said:

I miss Marvin Zindler. This deserves answers; if it was nothing, let the exposure erase doubt.
Maybe the plane owner can reach out, with information as it develops, regarding the "insurance claim". And the mythical visiting bull is still of interest
NRA Life
TSRA Life
ConcernedCitizenofBryan
After seeing the Rafter D and Brazilian connection to the Partners for a Better Bryan PAC (where the mayor serves as treasurer), I decided to take a look at the mayor's campaign finance report on the City of Bryan website. There's a contribution from Allumine Political Action Committee. I get that PACs are legit, but that one doesn't even exist. Maybe someone can find it, but it's not on Transparency USA. The address given is the old one for Allumine Home Health. (I think they've recently moved to a new location in College Station.) If Allumine Health made the donation, that seems like no big deal. Why would the donation be reported as coming from Allumine Political Action Committee (a non-existent PAC)? I did see on Allumine's website that the business also operates a nonprofit called Allumine Health Foundation. But the donation is clearly reported as coming from Allumine Political Action Committee. I don't understand.

https://docs.bryantx.gov/city_secretary/campaign_finance_reports/GUTIERREZ%20BOBBY_01172023.pdf (https://docs.bryantx.gov/city_secretary/campaign_finance_reports/GUTIERREZ%20BOBBY_01172023.pdf
BiochemAg97
AG
ConcernedCitizenofBryan said:

After seeing the Rafter D and Brazilian connection to the Partners for a Better Bryan PAC (where the mayor serves as treasurer), I decided to take a look at the mayor's campaign finance report on the City of Bryan website. There's a contribution from Allumine Political Action Committee. I get that PACs are legit, but that one doesn't even exist. Maybe someone can find it, but it's not on Transparency USA. The address given is the old one for Allumine Home Health. (I think they've recently moved to a new location in College Station.) If Allumine Health made the donation, that seems like no big deal. Why would the donation be reported as coming from Allumine Political Action Committee (a non-existent PAC)? I did see on Allumine's website that the business also operates a nonprofit called Allumine Health Foundation. But the donation is clearly reported as coming from Allumine Political Action Committee. I don't understand.

https://docs.bryantx.gov/city_secretary/campaign_finance_reports/GUTIERREZ%20BOBBY_01172023.pdf (https://docs.bryantx.gov/city_secretary/campaign_finance_reports/GUTIERREZ%20BOBBY_01172023.pdf

I know nothing about Allumine, but it isn't uncommon for businesses to have a PAC, usually funded by employee donations, primarily to further the business's interest.

It isn't clear to me that Transparency USA is reporting local election contributions. A small local business PAC might simply be focused on local elections and not have the resources to work at a state level on their own. They may be part of a trade organization or PAC that works on the state level.
doubledog
[Wrong forum and we have already warned about derails. -Staff]
cslifer
Got another open records response from COB. Requested information was anything naming, discussing or referring to the pilot. They are requesting an AG opinion due to attorney client privilege. I find this rather interesting because I prior requests they said they had nothing at all referring to the airplane…
Jsimonds58
AG
Lol funny how that works isn't it
skeetboy3
AG
cslifer said:

Got another open records response from COB. Requested information was anything naming, discussing or referring to the pilot. They are requesting an AG opinion due to attorney client privilege. I find this rather interesting because I prior requests they said they had nothing at all referring to the airplane…

I have been pretty pro sunshine on this and think this needs to be getting serious investigative journalism. With that said, the Texas Public Information Act is both extremely conservative and liberal. As I understand it, you are entitled to virtually any records (outside of attorney discussions, personnel files, education, health, and common law privacy and a few others). Where it becomes less favorable is that they are under no obligation to infer what you mean. For instance, if you "give me all records that refer to the plane," they do not have to provide documents that discuss the pilot but not the plane, discussions that resulted from the crash but don't mention the plane, etc. Again, I want as much light shed in this as possible and am glad open records requests are being made; however, they have to be made very carefully. I'm generally slow to assume improper responses to open records requests for this reason.
Of course, you may be aware of all that, filed the perfect request, and they still may not have provided records they should have.
cslifer
I agree with you about how open records requests should be filed. That is why I was sure to request records naming, referring to or discussing the airplane that made an emergency landing at that particular property and also included that it may be referred to as the plane, aircraft, tail number, model number etc. I did the same with the pilot referring to him as the pilot, owner, occupant, and a couple of different spellings and variants of his name. If you are not extremely specific they will dance around the question for sure. I am sure it wasn't perfect so to say, but I definitely covered every base I could think of. I am not a lawyer nor I I file open records requests on a regular basis though.
skeetboy3
AG
cslifer said:

I agree with you about how open records requests should be filed. That is why I was sure to request records naming, referring to or discussing the airplane that made an emergency landing at that particular property and also included that it may be referred to as the plane, aircraft, tail number, model number etc. I did the same with the pilot referring to him as the pilot, owner, occupant, and a couple of different spellings and variants of his name. If you are not extremely specific they will dance around the question for sure. I am sure it wasn't perfect so to say, but I definitely covered every base I could think of. I am not a lawyer nor I I file open records requests on a regular basis though.

Sounds good
ConcernedCitizenofBryan
At the suggestion of Roxy146 on the Rosemary thread, I decided to look at campaign contributions going to Bryan City Council members. Interestingly enough, Rafter D also made a contribution to council member (and BBC member) Ewers-Shurtleff.

https://docs.bryantx.gov/city_secretary/campaign_finance_reports/EWERS-SHURTLEFF%20MARCA_10312022.pdf
(page 8)

Ewers-Shurtleff served with Gutierrez on the BBC as a voting member during the land deal in April 2022, and was appointed by Gutierrez to replace his seat as a non-voting member in Jan 2023.

https://onboard.bryantx.gov/board/1725
(scroll down to board seats and click on timeline view in the right corner)

Ewers-Shurtleff also served on Planning & Zoning during the April 2022 time frame, again having replaced Gutierrez's seat back in Nov 2020.

https://onboard.bryantx.gov/board/1751
(click on timeline view in the right corner)

In Jan 2023, as mayor, Gutierrez appointed Ewers-Shurtleff to the City of Bryan Audit Committee. (From the website, this committee "Monitors the integrity of the city's financial records reporting process, the systems of internal controls regarding finance, accounting and legal compliance, the independence and performance of the city's independent auditors, and the internal audit process.)

https://onboard.bryantx.gov/board/1737

I did not see any campaign contributions made by Rafter D to any other council members other than Gutierrez and Ewers-Shurtleff.

Is it possible that Ewers-Shurtleff knew about the land deal between Rafter D and Gutierrez?

As a side note, a quick FB search shows Ewers-Shurtleff posing in bridal portraits with longhorn cattle and credits Gutierrez. The FB cover photo posting date is March 9, 2021.

Current BBC members:
Marca Ewers-Shurtleff, Kevin Krolczyk, Brett Brewer, Kenneth Lawson, John Bush, Jack Valerius Jr., Randy French, Whitney Wright, Linda Ravey, Wade Beckman, Jon Heidtke, and Austin Bryan

BBC members during the April 2022 land deal:
Marca Ewers-Shurtleff, Bobby Gutierrez, Kevin Krolczyk, Brett Brewer, Kenneth Lawson, John Bush, Jack Valerius Jr., Randy French, Linda Ravey, Greg Owens, Jon Heidtke, and James Edge
Charpie
Jsimonds58
FishrCoAg
Hornbeck
Smell that nothingburger cooking! Yum!
Tumble Weed

At the suggestion of Roxy146 on the Rosemary thread, I decided to look at campaign contributions going to Bryan City Council members. Interestingly enough, Rafter D also made a contribution to council member (and BBC member) Ewers-Shurtleff.

https://docs.bryantx.gov/city_secretary/campaign_finance_reports/EWERS-SHURTLEFF%20MARCA_10312022.pdf
(page 8)

Ewers-Shurtleff served with Gutierrez on the BBC as a voting member during the land deal in April 2022, and was appointed by Gutierrez to replace his seat as a non-voting member in Jan 2023.

Ewers-Shurtleff also served on Planning & Zoning during the April 2022 time frame, again having replaced Gutierrez's seat back in Nov 2020.

In Jan 2023, as mayor, Gutierrez appointed Ewers-Shurtleff to the City of Bryan Audit Committee. (From the website, this committee "Monitors the integrity of the city's financial records reporting process, the systems of internal controls regarding finance, accounting and legal compliance, the independence and performance of the city's independent auditors, and the internal audit process.)

I did not see any campaign contributions made by Rafter D to any other council members other than Gutierrez and Ewers-Shurtleff.

Is it possible that Ewers-Shurtleff knew about the land deal between Rafter D and Gutierrez?

As a side note, a quick FB search shows Ewers-Shurtleff posing in bridal portraits with longhorn cattle and credits Gutierrez. The FB cover photo posting date is March 9, 2021.

Current BBC members:
Marca Ewers-Shurtleff, Kevin Krolczyk, Brett Brewer, Kenneth Lawson, John Bush, Jack Valerius Jr., Randy French, Whitney Wright, Linda Ravey, Wade Beckman, Jon Heidtke, and Austin Bryan

Marca Ewers-Shurtleff, Bobby Gutierrez, Kevin Krolczyk, Brett Brewer, Kenneth Lawson, John Bush, Jack Valerius Jr., Randy French, Linda Ravey, Greg Owens, Jon Heidtke, and James Edge

Excellent job collecting facts.

Texags is underrated as a news source. Wonder if someone from the Texas Tribune would be interested?
trouble
AG
At least one of them is aware of this thread
techno-ag
AG
Tumble Weed said:

(page 8)

Current BBC members:

Texags is underrated as a news source. Wonder if someone from the Texas Tribune would be interested?
So, where exactly is the wrongdoing here? Somebody made a campaign donation?
Hornbeck
To get a $1 grazing lease.

Bryan good ole boy network going strong.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Also, allegedly not paying the lease, and not honoring the contract terms (maintaining fence, and over Grazing).
turfman80
AG
Otechno-ag said:

Tumble Weed said:

LAt the suggestion of Roxy146 on the Rosemary thread, I decided to look at campaign contributions going to Bryan City Council members. Interestingly enough, Rafter D also made a contribution to council member (and BBC member) Ewers-Shurtleff.

(page 8)

Current BBC members:

Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
techno-ag
AG
Hornbeck said:

Still not illegal. It's been addressed multiple times in this thread.
cslifer
That pic posted seemed to show a picture of a longhorn doing a longhorn…exactly what he said didn't happen.
Hornbeck
cslifer said:

That pic posted seemed to show a picture of a longhorn doing a longhorn…exactly what he said didn't happen.

I thought that was the "mystery bull" from next door. There's your proof, Mr. Mayor, go get your quarter mil.
EliteElectric
cslifer said:

2 Longhorn bulls falling in lust with one another is very common in Travis county
Jsimonds58
src94
AG
However, many are confused steers.
src94
rockelle
techno-ag said:

Apparently taking wedding photos with longhorns, in 2020, 2 years before the election no less.

I'm pretty sure council members all get put on the various committees. In the link provided (by the new "concerned" rookie account with 5 posts) several other council members were appointed at the same time along with a former councilman. Don't know why 1 of them was targeted. nothing nefarious about serving on boards and committees, which are all volunteer as I understand it. Good lord, that BBC member list has some pretty reputable names and successful business folks on there.

This is an entertaining read and story no doubt, but it's clear the same few folks who stirring the pot are politically motivated. Now they're adding strawmen/women. Grain of salt....
doubledog
techno-ag said:

Hornbeck said:

Still not illegal. It's been addressed multiple times in this thread.
Not illegal, but a very bad look for all involved. Poor judgement and or ethics concerns. Not good for our elected officials.
BiochemAg97
AG
EliteElectric said:

cslifer said:

2 Longhorn bulls falling in lust with one another is very common in Travis county

*steers
Tumble Weed
rockelle said:

techno-ag said:

Apparently taking wedding photos with longhorns, in 2020, 2 years before the election no less.

I'm pretty sure council members all get put on the various committees. In the link provided (by the new "concerned" rookie account with 5 posts) several other council members were appointed at the same time along with a former councilman. Don't know why 1 of them was targeted. nothing nefarious about serving on boards and committees, which are all volunteer as I understand it. Good lord, that BBC member list has some pretty reputable names and successful business folks on there.

This is an entertaining read and story no doubt, but it's clear the same few folks who stirring the pot are politically motivated. Now they're adding strawmen/women. Grain of salt....

I am starting to think that "volunteer" work pays pretty well.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.