Plane update

149,861 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by maroon barchetta
Jsimonds58
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why did the aviation blogger receive a letter from the mayor's attorney stating the mayor was the lease holder?

Edited to correct who received the letter
MiMi
S
Jsimonds58 said:

Why did the plane owner receive a letter from the mayor's attorney stating the mayor was the lease holder?
It was the aviation blogger in the video linked in the OP that received the letter, not the pilot.
cgdorn
AG
I don't know if it was offered to other people. It is not a 10 year lease. The lease can be terminated with 30 days notice at any time so the property can be sold or developed so it is not a guaranteed lease. The BBC is saving a lot in taxes by having it used for Ag purposes and they are not tied into a long term lease.
cgdorn'81
Chrundle the Great
AG
Now we're getting somewhere
trouble
AG
Thank you.

Are you really only paying $1/year?
Charpie
AG
trouble said:

Thank you.

Are you really only paying $1/year?
If they are, that's WAY below market. I would bet some cattle folks on this thread would love that kind of bargain.
Jsimonds58
AG
A hell of a deal it would seem!
cslifer
So how much are you paying for the lease? How did you get the lease? Was there a bidding process? Also, I get that it can be terminated in 30 days but the 10 year term has been tossed around, so are y'all truly month to month? Or 10 years with BBC having option to terminate with 30 day notice? As the lease holder do you have any idea why the mayor and his attorney would represent that he is in fact the lease holder?
Broncos
Who needs local news when you have TexAgs... the premiere media outlet for Aggieland!
Jbob04
AG
Exactly. $1 grazing leases do not exist unless some backroom dealings are going on.
Hornbeck
So, the city *does* own the land?

Because the press release stressed that the BBC was not connected to the City of Bryan. We all know that's not quite true. Was the offer of the lease exclusive to you?

In your professional opinion is $250k a fair estimate for emotional damage to longhorns?

Is $1 a year to lease almost 200 acres a fair deal?
How'd you swing a deal like that? My kid wants a horse, but we have nowhere to put it. Can I park it out there for $2 a year?

How much did you contribute to Bobby's campaign(s)?

Has the media contacted you regarding this story?

Why did Matt Doss claim the mayor was the lease holder of the land? Did you have a separate lease with the mayor?
cgdorn
AG
I just heard about the stress claim from that blogger that is trying to sensationalize this to get clicks to their blog. That is hilarious.
cgdorn'81
Rex Racer
AG
IF it's only costing $1 per year, I don't see that as being crazy because it's not a guaranteed lease. Any rancher would only be able to use it as a temporary holding area because it could be yanked out from under them with 30 days notice. That makes the lease worth a lot less money than if it was a one year lease, for example.
cslifer
Agreed, unless it actually happened, then it isn't so funny.
Jbob04
AG
cgdorn said:

I just heard about the stress claim from that blogger that is trying to sensationalize this to get clicks to their blog. That is hilarious.

The lawyers letter stated that it caused harm to the mayors cattle business, that didn't come from the YouTube guy. Also, that lawyer letter also said the land was leased by the mayor. Your story and the lawyers letter do not match up.
Charpie
AG
Rex Racer said:

IF it's only costing $1 per year, I don't see that as being crazy because it's not a guaranteed lease. Any rancher would only be able to use it as a temporary holding area because it could be yanked out from under them with 30 days notice. That makes the lease worth a lot less money than if it was a one year lease, for example.
That's not how it works, though.

You usually pay a lease per animal, which could be LESS than a $1 per acre.
cslifer
I agree that the 30 day issue could lower the value of the lease, that being said I think we can all agree it is still worth more than 8 cents a month.
maroon barchetta
He won't touch the $1 lease question or the "saving the city money" question.
Rex Racer
AG
cslifer said:

I agree that the 30 day issue could lower the value of the lease, that being said I think we can all agree it is still worth more than 8 cents a month.
True. But we don't know what the lease is costing.
techno-ag
AG
cslifer said:

The savings on prime property taxes means they don't care if they're giving up $2000/year. Yes, they're missing out on $167/mo. by not leasing at the market rate. But on the other hand they can terminate the lease at the drop of a hat.

The $1 lease is a nothing burger.
trouble
AG
Leasing it to the business associate of the mayor who was on the BBC when the property was purchased for well below market value esp if it wasn't offered to anyone else, is a big deal.
techno-ag
AG
trouble said:

Leasing it to the business associate of the mayor who was on the BBC when the property was purchased for well below market value esp if it wasn't offered to anyone else, is a big deal.
Maybe. But the dollar lease in and of itself is not a big deal.
trouble
AG
But it's the part of my question he didn't answer.
cslifer
Except they are a non profit and not paying taxes to start with, so the ag exemption thing is bs.
Checking the land on Brazoscad shows the taxable value for all entities as $0, and 501c organizations are exempt for property taxes.
Charpie
AG
Why would anyone put a cattle breeding operation on leased land that can be vacated in 30 days?
techno-ag
AG
Charpie said:

Why would anyone put a cattle breeding operation on leased land that can be vacated in 30 days?
For one thing, you can get it for $1/year.
Jsimonds58
AG
Seems like a lot of risk to undertake
Jsimonds58
AG
Huh how about that
techno-ag
AG
Jsimonds58 said:

Seems like a lot of risk to undertake
If their main ranch is nearby and they just needed to run some cows in a separate pasture for a while, it's not risky at all.
Hornbeck
$2k per year is nothing?

Who's running the show over there at the BBC? City employees?!?
Hornbeck
trouble said:

Aggies do not covet another Aggie's back room deal…

Edit - I can't spell
Hornbeck
Charpie
AG
techno-ag said:

Charpie said:

I will offer up $2 a year. I mean, that's a steal and MORE money than the city is getting now.
trouble
AG
The BBC not the city.
maroon barchetta
Charpie said:

techno-ag said:

Charpie said:

I will offer up $2 a year. I mean, that's a steal and MORE money than the city is getting now.

BBC isn't the city. [/COB fanboys]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.