Outdoors
Sponsored by

[Discussion about OB moderation] - Edited thread title

77,701 Views | 686 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Redstone
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ive wasted way too much of my life reading this thread....my one takeaway...how long until we have a running spreadsheet of the OB's posters names IRL?
Guitarsoup
AG
htxag09 said:

Ive wasted way too much of my life reading this thread....my one takeaway...how long until we have a running spreadsheet of the OB's posters names IRL?
Has no one sent you a link to that Google Docs Sheet?
Hoss
AG
Don't know what this is about but the response count was 666 and I felt like I needed to change that.

Carry on.
gwellis
AG
Presley OBannons Sword said:

Allow 48 hours to explain a 24 hour ban. You should go to work for the government.
So your 24 hour ban expired and you were able to post prior to response/reply and you are still mad? Good grief. You heard him say that the Mods don't work for TexAgs. They have their own lives and jobs. Wait for your answer and respond via the email. How hard is that? Do you always respond to work emails within 24 hours if you are on vacation? In the Mountians with no Service? Maybe in another Country? Maybe at a Funeral? Where is the modicum of respect? Where is the patience? I'm embarrassed for our board. I've been banned before and there is ALWAYS a note as to the why. ALWAYS.
Gil '91
chiken
AG
At this point, six pages in, those of you complaining about people discussing moderation issues baffle me. You think it's stupid? Don't open the thread!!!

What's your point in posting that anyone that has a different opinion or point of view is ridiculous?
CharlieBrown17
AG
chiken said:

At this point, six pages in, those of you complaining about people discussing moderation issues baffle me. You think it's stupid? Don't open the thread!!!

What's your point in posting that anyone that has a different opinion or point of view is ridiculous?

mpl35
AG
gwellis said:

Allow 48 hours to explain a 24 hour ban. You should go to work for the government.
So your 24 hour ban expired and you were able to post prior to response/reply and you are still mad? Good grief. You heard him say that the Mods don't work for TexAgs. They have their own lives and jobs. Wait for your answer and respond via the email. How hard is that? Do you always respond to work emails within 24 hours if you are on vacation? In the Mountians with no Service? Maybe in another Country? Maybe at a Funeral? Where is the modicum of respect? Where is the patience? I'm embarrassed for our board. I've been banned before and there is ALWAYS a note as to the why. ALWAYS.
My customer service desk/line always responds within 24 hours. Trying to equate it to a single person's work email is ridiculous. Even if it was equivalent, if I went on vacation or am out of pocket, I damn sure make certain my boss or my staff is covering for me. Auto replies are on. Other people cover shared mailboxes. That is the way a professional organization works.

And no, there isn't "ALWAYS" a note as to why.
aggielostinETX
AG
gwellis said:

Lets dissect your statement that contains many falsehoods...

So your 24 hour ban expired and you were able to post prior to response/reply and you are still mad? Yep

You heard him say that the Mods don't work for TexAgs. One actually does who manages the mailbox.

They have their own lives and jobs. Wait for your answer and respond via the email. How hard is that? - I realize you probably don't work a job that requires 24/7 response, but mine does. I am available 24/7/365 to the people I support.

Do you always respond to work emails within 24 hours if you are on vacation? In the Mountians with no Service? Maybe in another Country? Maybe at a Funeral? Where is the modicum of respect? Where is the patience? I have this thing called an OOO. I only use it when I places I know I won't have service. In that case, there are contact numbers for people covering for me and escalation options, including my personal cell. And before you say it's not fair for Brandon to give out his personal cell, mine is available to the 300,000+ people I support. I dont expect it that from Texags, but its how I operate. Also, rarely( And I mean maybe once in 10 years) have I gone 24 hours with responding to work email. I drive to town, I go up on mountains, I search for ****ty hotspots.

I've been banned before and there is ALWAYS a note as to the why. ALWAYS. So are you calling me a liar?

This weekend was a weird situation that Watchole and I have already hashed out. I don't think he needs you to stand up for him.
Kylie
Deats brings up a good point.

Unless it's published somewhere, I don't see where there is a service level agreement published. Maybe we can hold back our pitchforks until we know what the actual SLA for communications between the paid moderator and us subscribers is.
Prince_Ahmed
Deats said:

gwellis said:

So your 24 hour ban expired and you were able to post prior to response/reply and you are still mad? Yep

You heard him say that the Mods don't work for TexAgs. One actually does who manages the mailbox.

They have their own lives and jobs. Wait for your answer and respond via the email. How hard is that? - I realize you probably don't work a job that requires 24/7 response, but mine does. I am available 24/7/365 to the people I support.

Do you always respond to work emails within 24 hours if you are on vacation? In the Mountians with no Service? Maybe in another Country? Maybe at a Funeral? Where is the modicum of respect? Where is the patience? I have this thing called an OOO. I only use it when I places I know I won't have service. In that case, there are contact numbers for people covering for me and escalation options, including my personal cell. And before you say it's not fair for Brandon to give out his personal cell, mine is available to the 300,000+ people I support. I dont expect it that from Texags, but its how I operate. Also, rarely( And I mean maybe once in 10 years) have I gone 24 hours with responding to work email. I drive to town, I go up on mountains, I search for ****ty hotspots.

I've been banned before and there is ALWAYS a note as to the why. ALWAYS. So are you calling me a liar?

This weekend was a weird situation that Watchole and I have already hashed out. I don't think he needs you to stand up for him.
So, you're on call 24/7? Since you made the comparison, I'm sure that Texags is just as important to each of their subscribers as your business is to your constituents. Furthermore, I'm sure that the moderators at Texags are compensated appropriately out of your subscriber fees, comparable to your compensation for being on call 24/7/365.

To be fair, lots of poorly-paid people are on call also, but generally that's in jobs that matter, where there are real-world consequences if support is not offered 24/7 (ie a plant blows up, or someone is without power in 100+ temps ... or a multi-million dollar client may get fed up enough to take his business elsewhere).

And since we're on the subject, I abhor the expectation in the US that people be on-call 24/7 for nonsensical reasons - that's not expected in most other countries, and it's stupid that I can't take a vacation without being expected to check my email every day, like the world will stop turning if I fail to respond to an email. Most other countries have employees who actually take holidays without the expectation of working. If I owned a small business (or a sports website), I'd absolutely try to promote the kind of culture that promotes a healthy work-life balance.

Do you honestly expect that kind of support from a sports forum, when the only thing at risk is your ability to make comments or new posts before issues become irrelevant and you miss your opportunity for a few blue stars or a laugh?

Prince_Ahmed
Dirty Steve said:

Deats brings up a good point.

Unless it's published somewhere, I don't see where there is a service level agreement published. Maybe we can hold back our pitchforks until we know what the actual SLA for communications between the paid moderator and us subscribers is.
Pretty sure there isn't one. Do we really have any expectation of SLAs from a sports website? What percentage of your fee do you think should be at risk if you are unjustly given a ban for a few hours?
Kylie
And that's the point of my post. People getting their jimmies rustled over not being allowed to post and why they can't post in a timely manner, when timely hasn't even been defined. It's not like you can't read the boards when banned
techno-ag
AG
Dirty Steve said:

And that's the point of my post. People getting their jimmies rustled over not being allowed to post and why they can't post in a timely manner, when timely hasn't even been defined. It's not like you can't read the boards when banned

aggielostinETX
AG
Prince_Ahmed said:

Deats said:

gwellis said:

So, you're on call 24/7? Since you made the comparison, I'm sure that Texags is just as important to each of their subscribers as your business is to your constituents. Furthermore, I'm sure that the moderators at Texags are compensated appropriately out of your subscriber fees, comparable to your compensation for being on call 24/7/365.

To be fair, lots of poorly-paid people are on call also, but generally that's in jobs that matter, where there are real-world consequences if support is not offered 24/7 (ie a plant blows up, or someone is without power in 100+ temps ... or a multi-million dollar client may get fed up enough to take his business elsewhere).

And since we're on the subject, I abhor the expectation in the US that people be on-call 24/7 for nonsensical reasons - that's not expected in most other countries, and it's stupid that I can't take a vacation without being expected to check my email every day, like the world will stop turning if I fail to respond to an email. Most other countries have employees who actually take holidays without the expectation of working. If I owned a small business (or a sports website), I'd absolutely try to promote the kind of culture that promotes a healthy work-life balance.

Do you honestly expect that kind of support from a sports forum, when the only thing at risk is your ability to make comments or new posts before issues become irrelevant and you miss your opportunity for a few blue stars or a laugh?

Well my on call SLA is actually one hour to join triage.

And I said I didn't expect the equivalent. Brandon pointed out to me the in the ToS, the expected response time is 48hours.

Presley OBannons Sword
All I really want is an end to utterly subjective and nonsensical bans. My beef with the slow or non existent response is only because I never really know what I'm banned for. WHEN I get a response, it's usually just a quote of the post I was banned for, and I'm left to do the detective work of what was wrong with that post.

Bans are subjective, arbitrary, inconsistent, anonymous, and targeted.

The sycophants can worship at the altar of Brandon and Billy all day long, and it doesn't change the fact that it's a huge problem with an otherwise good website and community.
FishrCoAg
AG

All I really want is an end to utterly subjective and nonsensical bans. My beef with the slow or non existent response is only because I never really know what I'm banned for. WHEN I get a response, it's usually just a quote of the post I was banned for, and I'm left to do the detective work of what was wrong with that post.

Bans are subjective, arbitrary, inconsistent, anonymous, and targeted.

The sycophants can worship at the altar of Brandon and Billy all day long, and it doesn't change the fact that it's a huge problem with an otherwise good website and community.
And yet you are still here. Most of this thread is people just *****ing because they "feel" their treatment is unfair, but they continue to post. No one has a right to post, and TexAgs is not a utility that is necessary to post on. The same people complaining about moderation are the ones who say others take it too seriously.
gwellis
AG
Deats said:

gwellis said:

QAllow 48 hours to explain a 24 hour ban. You should go to work for the government.

You do realize this is a message board not a life or death must respond to feelings board right. And I was Not standing up for Brandon. I was questioning what on a message board is so damned important you question
A man about how he runs said message board with his volunteer mods.

I'm done with this and am happy
With the service we receive from TexAgs.
Gil '91
Post removed:
by user
Joe Makatozi
1) This thread is about OB moderation
2) I thought you quit paying for a sub?
Post removed:
by user
Nosh
third coast.. said:

Here's an example of moderation without explanation. A completely innocuous thread witb all of the usual suspects giving the usual hell to each other on the entertainment board. Tons of posts are edited and deleted. None seemed to be in violation of TOS. WHAT THE HELL.

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3015198/replies/53581513#53581513

The thread is completely gone.
Redstone
AG
Basically the fun banter and running jokes that have been built on Enertainment for literally a decade or more were Problematic. It was strange.

I would also link to my "permas" on Politics - obviously not true permas - except that a lot of (excellent and fact-filled) effortposts were wipes.

Let's just say that there is one country in the Middle East that posters should be extremely cautious about posting about (I am NOT going further pursuant to me agreement over email).
Redstone
AG
I signed up literally 20 years ago - Blocker computer lab, Spring 1999.

In that time - and I do know a decent number of posters IRL - a lot of fun, institutional knowledge-type of banter has been built.

Brandon, can we please protect this sort of thing?

[I reviewed the entertainment board actions this morning (again, not Outdoors board) - the moderator made a call based on 'calling out another poster' - they were not privy to your banter in Blocker 20 years ago. They had to make a call on the post at face value. Your username draws a ton of fire and the moderator didn't want the entire thread derailed - there is a big effort to keep threads on topic because the greatest number of users appreciate thread continuity. I would be happy to keep discussing the matter with you if you wish to email into the mod inbox. That is always an option. Moderator]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.