Outdoors
Sponsored by

[Discussion about OB moderation] - Edited thread title

79,022 Views | 686 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Redstone
Naveronski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggiebrewer said:

BCStalk said:

Well I don't drink beer and the OB has already banned Texas made whiskey so I guess I'm out of that exchange.

what whiskey is MADE in Texas. not blended. created from scratch?

Herman Marshall bourbon?
TX Bourbon?

Most bourbons, for that matter, right?
Post removed:
by user
Max06
AG
Rio Brazos
SWCBonfire
AG
Max06 said:

ETA: for those complaining about mods:

Maybe it's different now, but a certain someone (let's call him William L.) would ban posters disagreeing with him/calling him out for what he posted in what seemed like a petulant rage at times on premium. Or if he didn't do it, someone did it for him. Some were being asses and may have deserved it. Many were/did not. It was not a good look.
WatchOle
Staff
AG
No I don't. I believe what I wrote on (2). But thank you for the cordial reply.
Gig'em, Brandon '95
BCStalk
Aggiebrewer said:

BCStalk said:

Well I don't drink beer and the OB has already banned Texas made whiskey so I guess I'm out of that exchange.

what whiskey is MADE in Texas. not blended. created from scratch?

I ain't starting that conversation, I already got yelled at once this week.
WatchOle
Staff
AG
Can you recall the last time you were banned without a reason given? Looking over your bans from the last 3 years (I didn't go back further) the moderator left the reason in the edited post. It also show that the head moderator overturned a permanent ban (which was likely after communication).
Gig'em, Brandon '95
WatchOle
Staff
AG
TxSquarebody said:

I have been a part of several forums over the last 20 years or so. TexAgs is the only one I have been on that has anonymous mods. As said earlier, being a mod was somewhat of a status symbol. It was also a person many considered to be a subject matter expert. Blankets of anonymity create bias, not full disclosure.
The moderators are remaining anonymous, so let's start discussing solutions or compromises short of that.
Gig'em, Brandon '95
WatchOle
Staff
AG
I can see some solid logic to this argument for making ignore free.
Gig'em, Brandon '95
AggieChemist
AG
I can't think of anyone on texags in the 20 years I've been posting that I'd ignore. Lots of people I don't care for, but I don't want to live in an echo chamber.

Plus, I like to be contrary and argue.

Ignore function is just weird to me.
AgEng06
AG
AggieChemist said:

I can't think of anyone on texags in the 20 years I've been posting that I'd ignore. Lots of people I don't care for, but I don't want to live in an echo chamber.

This is what I was trying to convey with my post on the ignore function as well.
labmansid
WatchOle said:

TxSquarebody said:

I have been a part of several forums over the last 20 years or so. TexAgs is the only one I have been on that has anonymous mods. As said earlier, being a mod was somewhat of a status symbol. It was also a person many considered to be a subject matter expert. Blankets of anonymity create bias, not full disclosure.
The moderators are remaining anonymous, so let's start discussing solutions or compromises short of that.
So does that mean if a regular, or even semi-regular, poster attains Mod status that they have to disappear from Texags? Or can they still post from their old handle? Sorry if it was made clear earlier, so much info in a short time on this thread.

And thanks for taking the time to address this.
WatchOle
Staff
AG
labmansid said:

WatchOle said:

TxSquarebody said:

So does that mean if a regular, or even semi-regular, poster attains Mod status that they have to disappear from Texags? Or can they still post from their old handle? Sorry if it was made clear earlier, so much info in a short time on this thread.

And thanks for taking the time to address this.
No, they wouldn't disappear - they could participate like normal. Their user permissions would simply elevate to include moderation functions and their status as a moderator would be anonymous.
Gig'em, Brandon '95
Post removed:
by user
labmansid
AggieChemist said:

I haven't used the ignore feature at all myself either. Too many times an entertaining "discussion" has ensued where I would be lost if I ignored the original poster.

Even though I can be a bit crotchety at times, I try to be fairly open minded to other views, otherwise I would miss out on a lot. Doesn't mean I have to believe or conform to everything I see or read. I don't really get into hunting myself (I got into another hobby similar to hunting that takes my money), but I understand why others do, and don't hold it against them as an example.
DeWrecking Crew
AggieChemist said:

Really? We hadn't noticed...
jabberwalkie09
AG
Aggiebrewer said:

do you track how often users with moderator permissions "moderate" threads they are actively posting on as a user?

Excellent question imo.
labmansid
dubi said:

Quote:

I'm only one poster and been around about 7 years but I don't know anyone from texags in real life and as far as I know no one knows me.

When you work at A&M and live in B/CS you know tons of Texags posters IRL. And when I post photos, my name is on the watermark.

I post EVERYTHING knowing people know who I am and I think that holds me accountable. 99% of the time I try to be nice to everyone on Texags and this would be a better place if others did the same. I may disagree with you, but I will stay civil.

Can't blue star this enough. The veil of anonymity seems to embolden many people. Maybe even the mods, I don't know. I only know a few posters on here personally, but I try to post in a way that I would not be embarrassed if I met anybody from the forum.
87IE
AG
WatchOle said:

TxSquarebody said:

I think one of the issues is when individual posts are deleted (along with entire threads) there is no rhyme or reason.

Would you consider having your moderators leave the post, delete the comment, and comment on why it was removed?

It's Laken Riley, not Lincoln you idiot
WatchOle
Staff
AG
We log all moderator actions, but we don't specifically summarize that out in a easy to see report. Moderators are asked not to moderate discussions in which they are personally involved or in which they are the subject. They do a good job keeping to that and bring such threads to the other moderators for their help in moderating.
Gig'em, Brandon '95
WatchOle
Staff
AG
In the vast majority of cases there IS a rhyme or reason. But, to your point, that rhyme/reason is not reported to the community. We will do a better job of reporting that reason out here on OB through edits.
Gig'em, Brandon '95
87IE
AG
Bad choice of words on my part..

I'm sure y'all have your reason, we are just in the dark about it.
It's Laken Riley, not Lincoln you idiot
WatchOle
Staff
AG
Agreed - the problem is that the rhyme/reason is unknown the community.
Gig'em, Brandon '95
RCR06
AG
Aggie Pharmer said:

AggieChemist said:

Recently, I had a post disappeared that stated "trout stocking is a piscine welfare state". That's a valid, defensible opinion. No reason to delete THAT on the OUTDOORS board.

Just wanted to get that in here, if you're still reading.

We all love texags and the OB, otherwise we wouldn't be here fighting for(about) it.
I made the same post, pretty much verbatim, and I'd venture to guess that my post is still up there.

Edit: yup, my post is still there.

I wonder if some of this is because of the "flagging" feature. Mods can't possibly read every post.
Average Joe
AG
I'm not one of the big posters on the OB, although I've done business with some and know others personally that stay on OB primarily. What I've seen is that this board was given more room to have the same kind of feel as if we were all at the lease together sitting around the fire. It was almost as if it was an unspoken rule, similar to how the Politics board is given more leniency because of its, unavoidably, volatile nature.

Honestly, I don't think the moderation is out of hand, but I think a lot more people have come in an changed the overall tone of the board. Maybe that has caused the need for more moderation as posters start bumping heads more often, I don't know. Hopefully your research gives you a good idea of that, Brandon.

What I do know, is that things started going south when we started letting the tacticool AR and Glock crowd in. After that SJWs were just the next logical evolution.
chiken
AG
WatchOle said:

Can you recall the last time you were banned without a reason given? Looking over your bans from the last 3 years (I didn't go back further) the moderator left the reason in the edited post. It also show that the head moderator overturned a permanent ban (which was likely after communication).
Yes, I can. But I don't mean to derail the thread with personal situations. I read the OB daily and I wanted to chime in with my experiences and suggestions for how to "hear" the crowd. And by that, I'm referring to the 50+ stars given to a single post about specific posters acting less than cordial and getting away with it or consequently having items deleted or banned.
JAG03
AG
WatchOle said:

We will do a better job of reporting that reason out here on OB through edits.

IMO, that should happen on every board on texags and by the way I appreciate you coming on the boards and talking about all this.
Post removed:
by user
AgEng06
AG
Aggiebrewer said:

third coast.. said:

similar to vexatious litigation?

somebody got a Thesaurus app
I bought the world's worst thesaurus yesterday. Not only is it terrible, it's terrible.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Average Joe said:

What I do know, is that things started going south when we started letting the tacticool AR and Glock crowd in. After that SJWs were just the next logical evolution.

I'd like to speak to that.

I've been posting here since 2012. While I post on other boards occasionally, over 90% of my posts are on the OB, so while I haven't been around since the beginning, I've been here for a while.

Whenever there is possible political trouble on the horizon regarding guns, the OB can get a little spammed with mostly gun/politics topics, and I fully understand why that would get tiresome to folks who just show up for fishing reports and dead deer pics. It's a bit much even for me at times.

However, if there is any group on this board that has something in common with the cry baby SJWers, it is hands down the fudds. The only hunting I do is upland bird. I'm a terrible fisherman (I once caught exactly one fish, twice, on a two day fishing trip in a stocked pond as a kid). My interests lie more in competition and self defense, so someone like you would absolutely lump me into the "tacticool" crowd you're convinced has ruined the board.

I've never once seen someone like me *****ing and moaning about all the fishing, hunting, hunting fashion (what pants should I buy), etc threads on here. It's an outdoors forum, there's going to be a variety of topics, and not only do I not mind that, but I think it's great. I've learned stuff about all kinds of things I never would have thought about or cared about (low fence vs high fence hunting ethics, etc) thanks to this board. But not a week goes by that someone isn't *****ing and moaning about "black rifles" this or "tacticool" that, even though if you look back through this forum's topic history, outside of those political times this forum continues to be by a large majority non "tacticool" content.

There is so much non gun or "tacticool" related content on this forum I don't see how it could possibly offend anyone unless they were, like SJWers, spending time actively looking for something to be offended by.

SJWers are little *****es because they can't stand seeing anyone do something other than the exact way they do things, or think anything other than the exact way they think. They feel personally assaulted and persecuted by people who merely talk about things they don't like or hold opinions they don't. If anyone on this board acts similarly, it's the folks who can't stand seeing outdoors content they don't like and whine about it at every opportunity.

If you like the hunting and fishing threads, click on them. If you'd like to see more of them, make some. I'm baffled by supposedly intelligent, grown men who are so triggered by having to scroll by a thread they aren't interested in.
Nealthedestroyer
AG
Average Joe said:

I'm not one of the big posters on the OB, although I've done business with some and know others personally that stay on OB primarily. What I've seen is that this board was given more room to have the same kind of feel as if we were all at the lease together sitting around the fire. It was almost as if it was an unspoken rule, similar to how the Politics board is given more leniency because of its, unavoidably, volatile nature.

Honestly, I don't think the moderation is out of hand, but I think a lot more people have come in an changed the overall tone of the board. Maybe that has caused the need for more moderation as posters start bumping heads more often, I don't know. Hopefully your research gives you a good idea of that, Brandon.

The future is now, old man.
Badace52
AG
I actually agree with Bender on this one. Bender and my interests do not align AT ALL and I'm about 90% sure he has me on ignore right now due to our previous interactions, but he has just as much right to be on this board as any of the rest of us outdoorsmen. If you don't like the tactical stuff just avoid those threads.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.