Outdoors
Sponsored by

[Discussion about OB moderation] - Edited thread title

79,099 Views | 686 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Redstone
drummer0415
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Badace52 said:

BTW even with the recent decline in quality, OB is still the best board on this site by a fair margin. It is the reason I stay subscribed to TexAgs at all.

As sad as that is, it's definitely true.
WatchOle
Staff
AG
Examples of contributing posters that have left.
Gig'em, Brandon '95
schmellba99
AG
WatchOle said:

Examples of contributing posters that have left.
Finn Maccumhail

He "left" because he was banned on the politics board because one of the regular crybabies over there (Lot Y) went crying to the mods. There's 1.
Badace52
AG
Must have just missed his recent posts. I'll catch up next time he posts something. Love his stuff. Agrams does real quality woodwork.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jabberwalkie09
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

third coast.. said:

if someone complains about me, threads dont disappear.

So I guess we're just ignoring both Brandon and the Mods explanation on why that was deleted.

Not really sure what y'all's issue is but it wasn't on this board until you posted about it.

I'm sure you hit different areas of TexAgs, but threads like this or threads asking why a thread was either deleted or edited aren't terribly uncommon. Though, the consistency of what action is taken on these threads varies (removing to locking with explanation). Which is partially why this thread exists.

The point people made in AC's thread and this one where the OB was largely self policing or free from moderator intervention is correct based on what I know and remember. Though I am also of the opinion that this board has definitely had an uptick in moderator involvement.
schmellba99
AG
Charpie said:

So if I run over to the golf board complaining about you, you don't think that your friends should let you know? Man, you got ****ty friends.
I don't care if you do. Hell, do it here if you want. Wait, don't, because nobody really wants you or that garbage here.

My friends have better things to do than white knight for me. You take message boards way too seriously. Go back to the GB, for all of us.
FishrCoAg
AG
You didn't reply to my question. Should I be butthurt? You are just looking for crap.
aggielostinETX
AG
Sean98
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
trouble
AG
Sean98 but he's moody so who knows why he really left
schmellba99
AG
trouble said:

Kinda like when you show up on baseball just to ***** about the coach
I post more than that during baseball season and actually do lurk. Not my fault I don't fit in with the groupthink on that board and call a spade a spade. I do it here too.
aggielostinETX
AG
Mistershipwreck
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
Post removed:
by user
trouble
AG
Don't do it in the game thread and you won't get banned
LRHF
AG
Finns was an A+ poster. Don't know him but followed his posts and links to microskiff on a regular basis. Learned a ton about saltwater fly fishing from his posts. There are others with his knowledge but Finn spent the time to share and make this board better. Losing him as a poster was a big loss. Perhaps it was a bannable offense on Politics but he should a pass to come back to OB!
CharlieBrown17
AG
Maybe they get locked and edited on politics, every other board on here threads get deleted and posters banned for "grandstanding"

I don't agree with it.

My point was Brandon and the Mod account both gave that as the reason it was deleted not what some on here are claiming.
AggieChemist
AG
Swampstander
Master Aggie
Str8tshot
WC87
Ducks4breakfast
Urban ag
Bushman

Sure people fall off for a variety of reasons. But there are damn few old ags still actively posting here. Hell I was wet behind the ears when I started posting here and now I'm the old one.

Go back and look at any thread from 10 years ago. Or 5.
schmellba99
AG
trouble said:

Don't do it in the game thread and you won't get banned
Tell me where the rules are for what can and can't be posted in a game thread.

Hint - when we are playing like sht in a football game, I complain on the game thread. When we are playing good, I say good things. I do the same thing in baseball. Probably would in other sports, but i don't care about other sports. You and your little gaggle of baseball board nazis get too offended when somebody says something you don't like. It's a fuggin message board, every thread has posts somebody isn't going to like. And I simply call a spade a spade.
gwellis
AG
agingcowboy said:

OverSeas AG said:

What happened? Sorry I missed whatever Charpie posted.

I'm new around here and don't go anywhere except the OB, so I have no knowledge of any of these peeps except what went down here. Here's my interpretation.

AC started a post call out his perception of lame-assery going on on the OB.

Many others chimed in both agreeing and refuting the claim.

Someone points out that they don't like sneaky mods and evokes the user name of "charpie" in that context.

Two dudes show up and threaten to text "charpie" and tell on people for talking about charpie without their knowledge.

Charpie shows up and makes some comments that seemed generally sarcastic and condescending.

The entire thread disappeared without explanation.

That's my version of the timeline

Here is a thought from a long time poster on this board. Since when did we turn the OB into the Zoo 2.0? I could give a rats ass about someone saying something about so and so type BS threads. I come here for good old Hunting, Fishing, Ranching, Farming, Screwing around outdoors type of posts. I love the stories from bungled purchases on Craiglist (toolbox), the hunting recaps of trips taken around the world, and the BBQ discussion.

But I never recall, us being soo damn sensitive to the other BS. We usually, just shout them down and they (trolls) leave and or their threads, posts die or get removed.

Maybe, I just had a long Monday and thought I could come on here to relax and laugh a little, but looks like the loons have decided to F up this Board too. Per Coach Homer Smith, "Get yourself togther!"
Gil '91
trouble
AG
And you think we are the ones who take things too seriously
jabberwalkie09
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Maybe they get locked and edited on politics, every other board on here threads get deleted and posters banned for "grandstanding"

I don't agree with it.

Largely that's true. However, on longer running threads that need some cleaning up, those generally don't get straight nuked/deleted.
Quote:

My point was Brandon and the Mod account both gave that as the reason it was deleted not what some on here are claiming.

And I'm saying that while I'm sure that's understood now, these threads could be avoiders if they weren't wholesale deleted. Instead a lock and edit as to why would avoid it entirely.
WhoopN06
Centerpole90 doesn't seem to post much anymore.
AgsMnn
AG
WatchOle

Can we get Finn back before fishing weather hits?

We need a skiff expert here and enjoyed his post.
Max06
AG
Me. I rarely post anymore due to the general culture of the board. When I do post, I usually regret it in one form or fashion. I miss the old OB, there's no sense in trying to regain the quality and integrity of days past.
f burg ag
AG
Can a moderator moderate any forum? I ask because it seems like each forum has its own personality/culture. I don't think a moderator that frequents one forum should moderate another because they might not get that forum's culture. For example, on the handful of occasions I have read the GB, there were topics/posts I found offensive that I might delete if I had the power to do so......but I also understand they are par for that forum's course. So how bout only letting someone who frequents/understands a forum moderate that forum? Maybe a conflict of interest?
CharlieBrown17
AG
I think we're two sides of the same page on this one, just isn't clear online
FishrCoAg
AG
I've been banned too, I just don't feel the need to ***** about it, especially on totally unrelated threads from other boards.
WatchOle
Staff
AG
I don't think any of those posters are banned and at least half have never been moderated even once. Are you saying they stopped posting here due to moderation? I'm honestly curious.
Gig'em, Brandon '95
WatchOle
Staff
AG
No, moderators are assigned forums. Now, some moderators CAN moderate any forum but they are more senior mods.
Gig'em, Brandon '95
WatchOle
Staff
AG
I think some of that has to do with Finn. We've been working on a zero tolerance policy with regard to name calling over on politics. I'm not sure he was interested in that.
Gig'em, Brandon '95
DevilYack
AG
Speaking as a guy who does process troubleshooting for a living (and has been on the OB for a long time), I think the problem is lack of transparency on how the boards are moderated. If you could give some information on that, it would likely clear up most of these problems.
WatchOle
Staff
AG
Max06 said:

Me. I rarely post anymore due to the general culture of the board. When I do post, I usually regret it in one form or fashion. I miss the old OB, there's no sense in trying to regain the quality and integrity of days past.
I don't know what this means - could you color this for me and for the others here?
Gig'em, Brandon '95
WatchOle
Staff
AG
DevilYack said:

Speaking as a guy who does process troubleshooting for a living (and has been on the OB for a long time), I think the problem is lack of transparency on how the boards are moderated. If you could give some information on that, it would likely clear up most of these problems.
I think you are right - we could be more transparent and will work to do that.
Gig'em, Brandon '95
AggieChemist
AG
WatchOle said:

I don't think any of those posters are banned and at least half have never been moderated even once. Are you saying they stopped posting here due to moderation? I'm honestly curious.

No and I don't think I singled out moderation as the sole driving factor. But this board went from essentially unmoderated to heavily moderated in a period of less than 5 years.

Everyone agrees there has been a change in culture. Everyone agrees the board is less "itself". Everyone agrees it's a negative change.

I know the level of moderation has changed. I know the character of campus has changed. I know we are all getting older.

I don't have answers. I'm just yelling at clouds and missing my friends.

I'm too old and crotchety to make new ones.
Badace52
AG
I think people are saying the increased oversight and thread nuking have killed a lot of people's love for the best board on TexAgs and frustrate the old blood on OB who feel like it is a lot of "snowflakes" getting their panties in a wad that have caused all the problems. It may just be that OB is finding a more diverse audience or that maybe we aren't getting out in the field as much as we used to so there are less quality threads. I know I don't get outdoors nearly as much as I'd like or used to...
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.