Outdoors
Sponsored by

[Discussion about OB moderation] - Edited thread title

79,011 Views | 686 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Redstone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Any sort of explanation or complaint is best handled via an email to Moderator@texags.com. That's how you request an explanation.

Gig 'em!
The Wonderer
AG
Moderator said:

Any sort of explanation or complaint is best handled via an email to Moderator@texags.com. That's how you request an explanation.

Gig 'em!
I don't know, this thread seems to have worked pretty damn well.
Naveronski
AG
I said that, and my post was deleted.

But that's cool, random deletion definitely wasn't covered earlier in this thread.

[Right, that's precisely why I left a follow-up note. - Good Communication Moderator]
Alta
AG
I believe Brandon specifically asked for examples earlier in the thread. The poster was requesting him to contact him to provide a specific example. Seems completely appropriate to me and poster was trying to communicate privately with Brandon and not through a random address.
chiken
AG
OMG thank you!!
Naveronski
AG
Alta said:

I believe Brandon specifically asked for examples earlier in the thread. The poster was requesting him to contact him to provide a specific example. Seems completely appropriate to me and poster was trying to communicate privately with Brandon and not through a random address.

Chicken posted (deleted) asking for a way to contact Brandon
I posted (also deleted) that there was moderator@texags as an option, but I wasn't sure what Brandon's direct email was.

I understand Brandon asked for specific examples. I was trying to help Chicken with a way to contact him.
chiken
AG
I appreciate your efforts. I replied specifically to WatchOle so the post would be "blue" to him and he would see I wanted to speak directly to give him the example he requested. I was not complaining nor asking for an explanation for something that occurred on the GB. The fact that my post was deleted baffles me. But the moderator did give me his email!
Post removed:
by user
chiken
AG
That makes sense.
BanderaAg956
Moderator said:

Gig 'em!

I would be glad to share 25-30 emails from moderators from my previous account (that got permabanned and lost my AgTag) that make no sense and confirm "many moderators are biased or have don't take the time to consider opposing views as being credible. Football Board, Baseball Board, Basketball Board, Women's Basketball Board, Politics Board, Outdoor Board, and General Board all have biased moderation!

If you respond (retaliate) after someone attacks you (one of the special people) then you are always guilty and the attacker is in the clear.

Haven't been banned in a while, prepared for it again after this post! Let's see if I get the nuclear option!

Some just won't honestly admit the bias. I've seen 2-3 posters on each of the boards I frequent that can get away with attacking anyone with no recourse and many like me that get banned for speaking out! That is the only reason I cancelled my pay account a few years ago ... after coming over from Websider with Hop and Crew.

Adios until...
aggielostinETX
AG
Emailed moderator about a ban 10 minutes after it happened.

Still no response After 24+ hours.

Brandon,
You can't come on here saying one thing, and delivering something else.
WatchOle
Staff
AG
Deats - the head mod is traveling this weekend and will be back to things this evening or in the morning. There are actual human beings that run this site - not robots!
Gig'em, Brandon '95
aggielostinETX
AG
I get it. But if you're gonna ban people at 10am on Saturday and say email with questions, maybe they should respond to that email before the ban expires.

I think 24 hours is plenty of time to respond.
WatchOle
Staff
AG
Most of the times we are able to respond in 24 hours. Unfortunately, this weekend we were not. We do say allow 48 hours for a response.
Gig'em, Brandon '95
Presley OBannons Sword
Allow 48 hours to explain a 24 hour ban. You should go to work for the government.
Kylie
He has a job. He owns this website that the rest of us have the privilege of posting on.
dubi
AG
Dirty Steve said:

He has a job. He owns this website that the rest of us have the privilege of posting on.
Bingo.

Al Bula
AG
Thread continues to deliver.

Internet: Serious Business
Presley OBannons Sword
Oh boy, here we go.
WatchOle
Staff
AG
Presley OBannons Sword said:

Allow 48 hours to explain a 24 hour ban. You should go to work for the government.

Oh boy is right...look, we can't always respond within the ban window. We also have one hour bans, three hour bans, 12 hour bans, etc. That said, we DO want to answer questions from users regarding why they were banned in a reasonable amount of time. There are many occasions that that happens within the ban window and it results in shortening the ban, but that's typically with lengthier bans.
Gig'em, Brandon '95
Presley OBannons Sword
Then have objective rules that everyone knows and understands.
chiken
AG
The reason I had requested to speak with you is because I have an idea/suggestion but I would also like to give you examples of issues. I agree with some above statements. There is a bias and some of these moderators can be pretty unprofessional when handling business.

My suggestion: when a post is flagged, make it red in color. This way we know when others disagree with content. One step further, is to be able to tell for what people are flagging it under. This will only work on desktop computers though.

And then, if a post is deleted, to have an auto-reply email sent to user saying this post was deleted because XYZ.

Or, a quick edit after comments are removed from moderators.

Hope this helps.
chiken
AG
I'd also like to point out that my last post deletion is because it was "disrespectful in tone" for telling two internet "friends to both shut up in all caps"

BCStalk
Holy hell. Can y'all move this *****ing crap to the GB. Ain't ever seen a bunch of grown ass adults throwing a fit over the Internet. Excuse my French.
chiken
AG
I don't know why it bothers you so much. It was started by a frequent OB poster. What makes you think this is solely a GB issue???
BCStalk
Go cry on your own board then. Also try reading the title.
Nosh
WatchOle said:

Presley OBannons Sword said:

Oh boy is right...look, we can't always respond within the ban window. We also have one hour bans, three hour bans, 12 hour bans, etc. That said, we DO want to answer questions from users regarding why they were banned in a reasonable amount of time. There are many occasions that that happens within the ban window and it results in shortening the ban, but that's typically with lengthier bans.

Why not require a report sent along with the ban? If they are going to ban, they must immediately fill out the report saying why they decided to ban. That seems reasonable, even for humans with their personal matters to attend to.
CharlieBrown17
AG
The idea of sending a report is a good one

Also the person traveling is the paid mod that answers the moderator account. There are multiple volunteer mods as well, I'd hazard a guess one of them handed out the ban not the guy traveling.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Quote:

My suggestion: when a post is flagged, make it red in color. This way we know when others disagree with content. One step further, is to be able to tell for what people are flagging it under. This will only work on desktop computers though.

This seems like a terrible idea to me. Groupthink/piling on is bad enough as is on most boards.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Agreed. Heck, the masses blue starring some of my disappointing hunt posts has tarnished my previously stellar hunting reputation.
Guitarsoup
AG
I think every poster should have a note saying how many posters ignore them in their signature every time they make a post such as this:

XXX posters ignore Guitarsoup
techno-ag
AG
As long as we're making suggestions, my biggest beef is the inbox button is too close to the topics button on mobile. I'm constantly hitting the inbox button by mistake. Wish it was on the other side of the screen.
aggielostinETX
AG
update, Brandon and I have talked via email.

Moderator replied also.

I think we have a chance of moving forward in a good way.
Guitarsoup
AG
techno-ag said:

As long as we're making suggestions, my biggest beef is the inbox button is too close to the topics button on mobile. I'm constantly hitting the inbox button by mistake. Wish it was on the other side of the screen.
I wish you could mark as unread. I'll see something when I can't reply then forget to reply.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

I post more than that during baseball season and actually do lurk. Not my fault I don't fit in with the groupthink on that board and call a spade a spade.

I have to back Schmel on this one. The baseball board is rough, and has been for several yeas, if you don't worship at the alter of Childress. Unlike him, I don't go to that board much at all any more.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.