Outdoors
Sponsored by

[Discussion about OB moderation] - Edited thread title

79,009 Views | 686 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Redstone
BCStalk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dubi said:

johnrth said:

I'm still waiting/hoping for one of the ex great posters to pop into this thread and just be like

That's a good place to end the night
Log
AG
dubi said:

johnrth said:

I'm still waiting/hoping for one of the ex great posters to pop into this thread and just be like

She's not the hero we deserve; she's the hero we need.
Staff
Okay. Well. This thread was ....well, many things.
We're going to lock it at this point.

Please do email: moderator@texags.com with any follow-up concerns/points/questions.

a recap of what we've established in this thread:
1) we need to re-evaluate some things related to outdoors moderation
2) boobs/pics of boobs are a really important part of any productive conversation
3) some posters have left, but the reasons may be varied
4) Charpie is not a moderator at TexAgs.com
5) the later the evening goes, the less productive a thread can become.

Gig 'em!
WatchOle
Staff
AG
OB,

I wanted to come back around with my on summary:

1. We will be more transparent regarding the reasons for the removal of topics and posts. We've already decided how we'd like to do that and will start that immediately. I think this will help.

2. Moderators with remain anonymous for the reasons I indicated above. Moderators are accountable to me, I am accountable to you. That's why I'm here before you now.

3. I'm open to ideas about how to move OB to a better place. Reading through this thread it seems that it isn't all about moderating less. In fact, there seems to be a decent amount of sentiment that cuts against the idea of moderating less in favor of moderating more the posts that one doesn't like (snowflakes, Charpie, etc.). Am I misreading that?

4. No, Charpie is not a moderator.

Gig'em, Brandon '95
mpl35
AG
WatchOle said:

3. I'm open to ideas about how to move OB to a better place. Reading through this thread it seems that it isn't all about moderating less. In fact, there seems to be a decent amount of sentiment that cuts against the idea of moderating less in favor of moderating more the posts that one doesn't like (snowflakes, Charpie, etc.). Am I misreading that?

3- yes. I don't think more moderation is needed. You can ignore posters you don't like - literally now.
aggielostinETX
AG
3. Yep, let us sort it out. These folks need thicker skins.
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
zooguy96
The ignore function has solved a lot of problems involving moderation. If I don't want to see what somebody has typed, then I don't have to see it.
Naveronski
AG
zooguy96 said:

The ignore function has solved a lot of problems involving moderation. If I don't want to see what somebody has typed, then I don't have to see it.

This, exactly.

Though there is the temptation to let everyone know why they're wrong.
zooguy96
Naveronski said:

zooguy96 said:

This, exactly.

Though there is the temptation to let everyone know why they're wrong.
Yes, but if you do, they can always ignore you, so it really solves lots of problems.

I ignore a certain number of people on certain boards, but then click on what they say on other boards. It just all depends.
EFE
AG
Blah, blah, blah. The grievances have been aired, now make with the free stuff.
suburban cowboy
AG
Brandon,

A non-OB but fitting example to bolster the clarification:

At the beginning of the Astros season last year, many posters began posting TexAgs-friendly boobs. That thread is notorious for boobs, and frankly the Astros' success depends on it in certain scenarios.
Anyways, a Mod interjected themselves into the comradery and started deleting said boobs with reasoning that the forum was for baseball discussion only. The posters were up in arms that the Mod didn't understand that boobs are an integral part of baseball discussion. It was resolved a couple of weeks into the season, AFTER the Astros' slow start.

Anyways, thanks for holding Mods accountable and putting them in their place! Feel free to erase my shameful, before Christ (B.C.) posting history.
JAG03
AG
WatchOle said:

OB,

2. Moderators with remain anonymous for the reasons I indicated above. Moderators are accountable to me, I am accountable to you. That's why I'm here before you now.

I realize that this is your website and you run as you best see fit but I read your three reasons why mods remain anonymous and in my opinion all three are faulty. I liken it to someone writing a letter to the editor and remaining anonymous.
WatchOle
Staff
AG
How does that make my points about anonymous moderators faulty?
Gig'em, Brandon '95
WatchOle
Staff
AG
Thanks IceCream. So in the Astros example, is that moderation working or not working?
Gig'em, Brandon '95
Post removed:
by user
WatchOle
Staff
AG
It would be interesting to list the top ignored posters. Why should we make ignore free?
Gig'em, Brandon '95
Post removed:
by user
PFG
AG
Ignore is free on all other forums I post on.

And I find that it keeps me coming back to those forums, knowing I don't have to read the drool of posters that bother me.

I think TexAgs might be a more enjoyable place if that function was free. And more people might buy stars to access other functions and content.

JMO
schmellba99: Hard to believe people are looking at what is happening and thinking this is something other than a flu like bug
LEJ
WatchOle said:

It would be interesting to list the top ignored posters. Why should we make ignore free?

It would give you more free time with your kids and require less of your time with TexAgs tomfoolery, such as this.
Post removed:
by user
khkman22
AG
WatchOle said:

OB,

1. We will be more transparent regarding the reasons for the removal of topics and posts. We've already decided how we'd like to do that and will start that immediately. I think this will help.

4. No, Charpie is not a moderator.
Which one of her socks is?
khkman22
AG
WatchOle said:

Thanks IceCream. So in the Astros example, is that moderation working or not working?
Is that a serious question? When would deleting forum friendly boobs ever be considered "working?"
AgEng06
AG
I don't think the ignore function is really a big deal or needed. Why can't we simply read past or IGNORE posts that we don't like?
Post removed:
by user
AgEng06
AG
Fair enough.
WatchOle
Staff
AG
We've had mods that were outed in the past. I found that when out they were more susceptible to influence by parts of the community.
Gig'em, Brandon '95
Alta
AG
WatchOle said:

We've had mods that were outed in the past. I found that when out they were more susceptible to influence by parts of the community.
Is it a bad thing for moderators to be susceptible to influence? Doesn't that make your job easier and allow them to adapt to the various boards as they evolve? Influence or accountability has many benefits as well.
WatchOle
Staff
AG
I mean in the way of favoritism and no I don't think that's good.
Gig'em, Brandon '95
Burt Macklin, FBI
AG
I have a question. Being that the mods are anonymous, if we feel that we are ever unfairly banned for something or a thread gets deleted and we email moderator@texags, is that email received by you, a mod-supervisor type, or does it just got to the mod that just banned the poster? If it ends up going to the mod that did the banning, it kind of makes them like judge, jury, and executioner. What checks and balances are in place for situations like that?
Alta
AG
Understood - and I'm making assumptions here on how moderators work on TexAgs (and we all know the dangers that go with that) but isn't the risk of favoritism even greater when moderators are anonymous to the board? I'm willing to wager that a moderator who is active on TexAgs has let certain of their friends who participate here know they are moderators. Those people then have undue influence and nobody can figure it out because of the "anonymous" factor?
JAG03
AG
WatchOle said:

How does that make my points about anonymous moderators faulty?

WatchOle said:

Three main reasons:

1. I want moderators to be able to participate on the forums as normal posters without the social burden of being a moderator.

2. I want moderators to moderate based on policy and not based community pressure.

3. I want moderators to be free on real world retribution by disgruntled community members.

I've only ever been active on one other forum and I'm currently not active on it. I'm only active on texags. It was an outdoors related forum. Their mods were known. My opinions are based on being on two different forums with different moderating styles. My issues with your points are:

1. The mods still actively participated and to be a mod it was seen more of status symbol of a respected poster rather than in a negative connotation.

2. It's my opinion that someone will act more fairly and consistently if their username is attached to their words or actions. It's another way of being held accountable.

3. People on texags are only known by their handle unless they choose otherwise. It would be of their own choosing if their real world info was known.
WatchOle
Staff
AG
It goes to our paid head moderator. I work with the head moderator on policy and enforcement strategy. Really big issues can be bumped up to me at times.
Gig'em, Brandon '95
WatchOle
Staff
AG
I don't think number 3 is a reality. One has to run a pretty tight ship to stay completely anonymous online.
Gig'em, Brandon '95
lawless89
Soooo no one is going to say they miss MFBarnes?

Or is Charpie MFBarnes?
JAG03
AG
WatchOle said:

I don't think number 3 is a reality. One has to run a pretty tight ship to stay completely anonymous online.

I'm only one poster and been around about 7 years but I don't know anyone from texags in real life and as far as I know no one knows me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.