Outdoors
Sponsored by

[Discussion about OB moderation] - Edited thread title

79,087 Views | 686 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Redstone
EMY92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
lawless89 said:

Soooo no one is going to say they miss MFBarnes?

Or is Charpie MFBarnes?
Barnes frequently posts on Politics under a new username. Hardest working troll on the web.
dubi
AG
Quote:

I'm only one poster and been around about 7 years but I don't know anyone from texags in real life and as far as I know no one knows me.

When you work at A&M and live in B/CS you know tons of Texags posters IRL. And when I post photos, my name is on the watermark.

I post EVERYTHING knowing people know who I am and I think that holds me accountable. 99% of the time I try to be nice to everyone on Texags and this would be a better place if others did the same. I may disagree with you, but I will stay civil.

TxSquarebody
I have been a part of several forums over the last 20 years or so. TexAgs is the only one I have been on that has anonymous mods. As said earlier, being a mod was somewhat of a status symbol. It was also a person many considered to be a subject matter expert. Blankets of anonymity create bias, not full disclosure.
Floor it until you see God
Bregxit
AG
Not 100% positive but pretty sure I figured out your identity in about 4 minutes. Not trying to be creepy, just reinforcing Brandon's point.

PM sent.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
Moderator said:

Okay. Well. This thread was ....well, many things.
We're going to lock it at this point.

Please do email: moderator@texags.com with any follow-up concerns/points/questions.

2) boobs/pics of boobs are a really important part of any productive conversation

Gig 'em!

they are finally getting it
JAG03
AG
TxSquarebody said:

I have been a part of several forums over the last 20 years or so. TexAgs is the only one I have been on that has anonymous mods. As said earlier, being a mod was somewhat of a status symbol. It was also a person many considered to be a subject matter expert. Blankets of anonymity create bias, not full disclosure.
WatchOle
Staff
AG
Do you even OB? If OB is known for anything (to the wider TA community), it's outing online identies.
Gig'em, Brandon '95
Bregxit
AG
WatchOle said:

Do you even OB? If OB is known for anything (to the wider TA community), it's outing online identies.
Since you cannot receive stars.
Bert315
AG
dubi said:

Quote:

I'm only one poster and been around about 7 years but I don't know anyone from texags in real life and as far as I know no one knows me.

When you work at A&M and live in B/CS you know tons of Texags posters IRL. And when I post photos, my name is on the watermark.

I post EVERYTHING knowing people know who I am and I think that holds me accountable. 99% of the time I try to be nice to everyone on Texags and this would be a better place if others did the same. I may disagree with you, but I will stay civil.

Mods should not have their identity hidden moreso than anyone else. If you are a mod then you should be held to the same standard and should be able to back your reason for banning or deleting a thread/post. Public answers to the reasoning should be the norm since the 'offense' occurred on a public forum. The anonymousness of the online community is part of the problem. Mods can hide and not answer for their decisions. If a person doesn't want that pressure then they shouldn't be a mod, plain and simple.

There is definitely a select group of folks who can say and do just about anything and not get banned on TexAgs. Hey if that's how they want to do things then that is their business but it is also the reason I stayed away from them for years until Hop moved over. Love this board but it has definitely changed over the last few years.

trouble
AG
WatchOle said:

No one here would ever track someone down.
Woods Ag
AG
Why can't we all just get together and have a few beers and talk this **** out.. if we still can't settle it we can pick teams and fight it out
giddings_ag_06
AG
So this is what a being a politician is like? Lots of round table discussion for days on end about how to make everything better... with no decision made yet? I should have got in politics. Clearly hunting has been a rough side profession for me in 2018.
Max06
AG
dubi said:

Quote:

SO MUCH OF THIS.

ETA: for those complaining about mods:

giddings_ag_06
AG
dubi said:

Quote:

Lots of people know me on here and this summer at a work conference in Florida I had a random guy come up to me (I was wearing an A&M hat) and ask if I was the hog guy on TexAgs. It's hard to stay anonymous so I don't even try. Because of that I watch what I say and do. Hopefully it makes things interesting on here knowing not everyone is just a username. Hell, if you walk around publicly, why be scared to be known on a message board unless you have stuff to hide? You're the same person online as you are in person. I'd hope you're acting the same in both places.
MBUSA
16 should read this thread.
ellebee
WatchOle said:

I mean in the way of favoritism and no I don't think that's good.

This is true. AC gets blowies from schmelba all the time and I, for one, won't stand for it anymore.
Bregxit
AG
I feel like I scared JAG03 off!
JAG03
AG
dlance said:

I'm still here
Bregxit
AG
JAG03 said:

dlance said:

I'm still here
Good. I was worried I creeped you out or something.
acephotographer
agrams said:

I'm still around each day, I just try to limit my posting about my hobby. its borderline outdoors (more home improvement.. but that forum is slower) so I don't want to spam it to this forum. I'm also swallowed with a lot of bigger projects and backlogged until probably February. this year has been a lesson in learning to turn down projects and be more selective.

YOUR PROJECT POSTS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME - STAFF
Completely support staff on this view!!

But I also understand where Agrams is coming from. I recently self-censored and didn't post when I had to put my dog down a couple of weeks ago. There had already been a couple of threads by others recently on the subject including cupofjoe04's that day. So I didn't post as I didn't want to "spam" the board. As more people do that, it leaves leaves less content contributed to the site. More that in another post.

Rule 1 on the dog:
acephotographer

As to the topic of this thread....

I think that TA is a pretty good example of the idea of "community standards" legal concept when it comes to not only what is considered acceptable by a community of people but how that may change over time as the membership.

But even the very basis of different communities with different standards is radically changing. I was recently at a conference of global leaders for parachurch ministries and part of the

As to disappearing members, one thing that hasn't been brought up in this discussion is that American's internet use has been rapidly changing in last couple of years. One of the biggest changes is the proportion of people logging off of social media and online communities - even ones without heavy political overtones. I would guess this has a big impact on what may be happening here.

And more people seem to be lurking these days online and content creation seems to be done by a smaller number of people.

I know moderation is difficult task and can't just be done to enforce what some small group wants to do. While I appreciate the desire for it to be like the counter of the gun store or back room of a fly shop, that may not be possible with a public site. I know some moderation has to happen and there are important legal issues that are involved for Brandon, Billy and the other owners and staff of TexAgs. I don't think any of us would want them to lose their house or livelihood due to a legal spat over TA.

The Aggieland board has ebbed and flowed and changed in character much more radically over the years than the OB. And moderation is much more heavy handed than say the Houston or Dallas boards as 1) BCS is a much smaller community, especially when you remove the students; 2) TA has become the default online community in many ways. This moderation - which is often preemptive when it comes to school and local government stories - is much more strict than the OB.
ellebee
Awww I'm sorry
schmellba99
AG
ellebee said:

WatchOle said:

I mean in the way of favoritism and no I don't think that's good.

This is true. AC gets blowies from schmelba all the time and I, for one, won't stand for it anymore.
What the hell??

If I had the laughing face, it would be used here.
ellebee
What can I say? I'm an *******.
CSTXAg92
AG
Heard this song on the radio today and thought of this thread. Thought it was too bad that the thread had been locked. So when I visited the OB and I see the thread had been unlocked, now you guys can enjoy the song too:
FightinTexasAggie08
Where can I apply to be a moderator?
schmellba99
AG
ellebee said:

Zuckerberg agrees
DatTallArchitect
AG
schmellba99 said:

ellebee said:

Zuckerberg agrees
Very true
SteveBott
AG
You can't. New mods are nominated by existing mods
CharlieBrown17
AG
SteveBott said:

You can't. New mods are nominated by existing mods

Blood in blood out? Asking for a friend.
SteveBott
AG
I don't understand your question. I have a case of Olds.
CharlieBrown17
AG
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=blood%20in%20blood%20out
SteveBott
AG
Ahh OK. No. we did all agree to keep each others handle anonymous and not disclosed. I still adhere to that promise and will never break it.
45-70Ag
AG
Woods Ag said:

Why can't we all just get together and have a few beers and talk this **** out.. if we still can't settle it we can pick teams and fight it out

This has potential
TxA&Mhunter

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.