Outdoors
Sponsored by

[Discussion about OB moderation] - Edited thread title

79,069 Views | 686 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Redstone
dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Irish_Man said:

Woods Ag said:

Why can't we all just get together and have a few beers and talk this **** out.. if we still can't settle it we can pick teams and fight it out

This has potential
I'm in!
45-70Ag
AG
I just want in on AC's team
giddings_ag_06
AG
dubi said:

Irish_Man said:

Woods Ag said:

Why can't we all just get together and have a few beers and talk this **** out.. if we still can't settle it we can pick teams and fight it out

This has potential
I'm in!

My team will have the most/best beer!
Woods Ag
AG
I have about 10 gallons on tap as well
BCStalk
Well I don't drink beer and the OB has already banned Texas made whiskey so I guess I'm out of that exchange.
mellison
AG
The Ignore feature should be free because one of the alternatives is to ignore the website altogether. A more enjoyable site experience yields longer and more frequent visits. Think of it like Las Vegas, they don't make all that money by making it easy for people to walk out. The Ignore feature would help keep people from getting annoyed with another poster(s) and leaving for a period of time. It would help the user make their own experience better and help the business to sell more ads.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Wrong. Rebecca Creek is legit.
BCStalk
98Ag99Grad
AG
nm
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
If you get so triggered by reading someone else's posts because you can't bring yourself to pay $5 a month to ignore them... you might be part of the problem.
BenderRodriguez
AG
If an anonymous strangers posts online bother you so much (the generic you, not you the poster I'm quoting) that you have to use the ignore feature, you just might be one of those thin skinned folks talked about in this thread.
chiken
AG
Burt Macklin, FBI said:

I have a question. Being that the mods are anonymous, if we feel that we are ever unfairly banned for something or a thread gets deleted and we email moderator@texags, is that email received by you, a mod-supervisor type, or does it just got to the mod that just banned the poster? If it ends up going to the mod that did the banning, it kind of makes them like judge, jury, and executioner. What checks and balances are in place for situations like that?

I read all 15 pages and this comment stands out the most. And I would really like WatchOle to focus on the stars given to certain posts. If there are 50+ people saying a fish looks and acts like a fish, I would hope you would put a little weight behind those "stats".

I've been banned and given no reason even after I emailed moderators. If you're asking us to have an open line of communication to improve our content and posting styles, then feedback is paramount.

Also, I mainly post on GB but the few times I've had a serious OB question that was apparently naive, certain old posters kept calling me a troll. You folks say you want laidback discussions but then refuse to open your circle to new voices. Choose a side, kids.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
45-70Ag
AG
chiken
AG
I guess since I'm not one of those people trying to govern what and where someone should post and whether or not they're legitimate questions, I didn't see that my post would be considered a "lecture". I was merely pointing out a way to help the OB being in new blood.

And, I was supporting some of your highly starred posts. But I guess you glossed over that point.
jabberwalkie09
AG
third coast.. said:

people on GB call people trolls all the time. they also tell peple to go back to whatever forum they generally live on.

FWIW, none of that is exclusive to the GB or any board really. Had that happen to me on the e-board.
chiken
AG
third coast.. said:

and you admittedly dont post here but are coming here to lecture us? GMAFB

And I said I don't post here, not that I dont read this board daily. I know my place and I know the temperature of each board. My typical commentary has no place on this board, so I don't litter it wirh inane chatter. GYAFB? Who is sensitive now?
Post removed:
by user
TheVarian
AG
Woods Ag said:

BCStalk
OB obviously has enough issues without mixing the GB in it. Perhaps start your own thread there complaining about moderation?
Potcake
AG
15 F-ing pages of this crap? Snowflakes are definitely outdoors.
gig em 02
WatchOle said:

We've had mods that were outed in the past. I found that when out they were more susceptible to influence by parts of the community.
If the mods are susceptible to influence its because the rules aren't black and white enough and already aren't enforced consistently. I imagine you don't actually have anonymous mods anyway, the current system just allows a handful of favorite posters to know who the mods are.

Just a thought but find someone that doesn't mind being a public mod in the smaller sub-forums - outdoors, real estate, business, politics, the regional boards and then maintain anonymous and public mods in the bigger forums.

Forcing people to pay for the ignore feature makes it look like you are looking to profit off annoying posters and trolls, which just feeds the 'favoritism' and inconsistent moderation narratives. I'd make it free and I'd allow people to ignore categories of people - no ag tag, less than rookie or pro status.

I don't know what any of that looks like, just some concepts to consider.
ellebee
DatTallArchitect said:

schmellba99 said:

ellebee said:

What can I say? I'm an *******.

Zuckerberg agrees
Very true

ZUCK CAN GO TO HELL

Talk about some snowflakes...
aggielostinETX
AG
So who posted this on the GynB?
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
DatTallArchitect
AG
ellebee said:

DatTallArchitect said:

schmellba99 said:

ellebee said:

What can I say? I'm an *******.

Zuckerberg agrees
Very true

ZUCK CAN GO TO HELL

Talk about some snowflakes...
Zuck is definitely one of the bigger snowflakes
Fishing Fools
WatchOle said:

Three main reasons:

1. I want moderators to be able to participate on the forums as normal posters without the social burden of being a moderator.

2. I want moderators to moderate based on policy and not based community pressure.

3. I want moderators to be free on real world retribution by disgruntled community members.

(2) This is bullshjt and you know it!

https://share.icloud.com/photos/03EkZaqEtqMnKmp-3F9c3hvdg
AggieChemist
AG
I know the conversation has moved on but one thing that didn't get brought up was the disappearing of individual posts. This has happened to me on numerous occasions. A thread gets "cleaned up".

If my post is delete-worthy, then I would prefer the mod edit it and state the reason. Don't just delete it. It seems like a lot of penny-ante stuff just disappears.

This happens MUCH more frequently than thread disappearances, in my experience. I've had at least two posts disappeared out of threads recently, both of which, when discussed in thread, were widely considered on topic and non-offensive. I know, because I grandstanded and demanded an apology on both, LOL.

Recently, I had a post disappeared that stated "trout stocking is a piscine welfare state". That's a valid, defensible opinion. No reason to delete THAT on the OUTDOORS board.

Just wanted to get that in here, if you're still reading.

We all love texags and the OB, otherwise we wouldn't be here fighting for(about) it.
ratfacemcdougal
Amen, Brother
dubi
AG
Quote:

We all love texags and the OB, otherwise we wouldn't be here fighting for(about) it.
TheVarian
AG
AggieChemist said:

Agree with Chemist, I come here to learn, bull**** and be reminded of my grand parents who were avid outdoorsmen, gardeners, and stewards of the land and community. I love the honesty and humor of the board
Aggie Pharmer
AG
AggieChemist said:

Recently, I had a post disappeared that stated "trout stocking is a piscine welfare state". That's a valid, defensible opinion. No reason to delete THAT on the OUTDOORS board.

I made the same post, pretty much verbatim, and I'd venture to guess that my post is still up there.

Edit: yup, my post is still there.
ellebee
AggieChemist said:

I know the conversation has moved on but one thing that didn't get brought up was the disappearing of individual posts. This has happened to me on numerous occasions. A thread gets "cleaned up".

If my post is delete-worthy, then I would prefer the mod edit it and state the reason. Don't just delete it. It seems like a lot of penny-ante stuff just disappears.

This happens MUCH more frequently than thread disappearances, in my experience. I've had at least two posts disappeared out of threads recently, both of which, when discussed in thread, were widely considered on topic and non-offensive. I know, because I grandstanded and demanded an apology on both, LOL.

Agreed.
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.