Outdoors
Sponsored by

[Discussion about OB moderation] - Edited thread title

79,023 Views | 686 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Redstone
BenderRodriguez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't ignore anyone.

I didn't even know this board had that feature.

ETA: and now that I know I'm still not going to use it.
DeWrecking Crew
BenderRodriguez said:

Average Joe said:

What I do know, is that things started going south when we started letting the tacticool AR and Glock crowd in. After that SJWs were just the next logical evolution.

I'd like to speak to that.

I've been posting here since 2012. While I post on other boards occasionally, over 90% of my posts are on the OB, so while I haven't been around since the beginning, I've been here for a while.

Whenever there is possible political trouble on the horizon regarding guns, the OB can get a little spammed with mostly gun/politics topics, and I fully understand why that would get tiresome to folks who just show up for fishing reports and dead deer pics. It's a bit much even for me at times.

However, if there is any group on this board that has something in common with the cry baby SJWers, it is hands down the fudds. The only hunting I do is upland bird. I'm a terrible fisherman (I once caught exactly one fish, twice, on a two day fishing trip in a stocked pond as a kid). My interests lie more in competition and self defense, so someone like you would absolutely lump me into the "tacticool" crowd you're convinced has ruined the board.

I've never once seen someone like me *****ing and moaning about all the fishing, hunting, hunting fashion (what pants should I buy), etc threads on here. It's an outdoors forum, there's going to be a variety of topics, and not only do I not mind that, but I think it's great. I've learned stuff about all kinds of things I never would have thought about or cared about (low fence vs high fence hunting ethics, etc) thanks to this board. But not a week goes by that someone isn't *****ing and moaning about "black rifles" this or "tacticool" that, even though if you look back through this forum's topic history, outside of those political times this forum continues to be by a large majority non "tacticool" content.

There is so much non gun or "tacticool" related content on this forum I don't see how it could possibly offend anyone unless they were, like SJWers, spending time actively looking for something to be offended by.

SJWers are little *****es because they can't stand seeing anyone do something other than the exact way they do things, or think anything other than the exact way they think. They feel personally assaulted and persecuted by people who merely talk about things they don't like or hold opinions they don't. If anyone on this board acts similarly, it's the folks who can't stand seeing outdoors content they don't like and whine about it at every opportunity.

If you like the hunting and fishing threads, click on them. If you'd like to see more of them, make some. I'm baffled by supposedly intelligent, grown men who are so triggered by having to scroll by a thread they aren't interested in.

Bingo...well said. If you don't like cooler stereos, don't click on cooler stereo threads, it's really that easy.

Brandon...Maybe that would be a good upgrade to the ignore feature, how feasible would it be to implement an "ignore thread" option?
rlb28
AG
WatchOle said:

Can you recall the last time you were banned without a reason given? Looking over your bans from the last 3 years (I didn't go back further) the moderator left the reason in the edited post. It also show that the head moderator overturned a permanent ban (which was likely after communication).
Bans and perma bans! Grown men and women getting so heated or having little to no civility and getting banned on a message board is hilarious to me. Basically getting put it timeout because you can't behave. LOL! Either you are internet tough guys or actually the kind of person who can't have a rational discussion with other people. That's pitiful.
dubi
AG
Badace52 said:

I actually agree with Bender on this one. Bender and my interests do not align AT ALL and I'm about 90% sure he has me on ignore right now due to our previous interactions, but he has just as much right to be on this board as any of the rest of us outdoorsmen. If you don't like the tactical stuff just avoid those threads.

And Mr Dubi are the opposite since we are competition shooters and our interests align with Bender.

That is what USED TO make America great; folks could disagree and still get along.
Average Joe
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Average Joe said:

What I do know, is that things started going south when we started letting the tacticool AR and Glock crowd in. After that SJWs were just the next logical evolution.

I'd like to speak to that.

I've been posting here since 2012. While I post on other boards occasionally, over 90% of my posts are on the OB, so while I haven't been around since the beginning, I've been here for a while.

Whenever there is possible political trouble on the horizon regarding guns, the OB can get a little spammed with mostly gun/politics topics, and I fully understand why that would get tiresome to folks who just show up for fishing reports and dead deer pics. It's a bit much even for me at times.

However, if there is any group on this board that has something in common with the cry baby SJWers, it is hands down the fudds. The only hunting I do is upland bird. I'm a terrible fisherman (I once caught exactly one fish, twice, on a two day fishing trip in a stocked pond as a kid). My interests lie more in competition and self defense, so someone like you would absolutely lump me into the "tacticool" crowd you're convinced has ruined the board.

I've never once seen someone like me *****ing and moaning about all the fishing, hunting, hunting fashion (what pants should I buy), etc threads on here. It's an outdoors forum, there's going to be a variety of topics, and not only do I not mind that, but I think it's great. I've learned stuff about all kinds of things I never would have thought about or cared about (low fence vs high fence hunting ethics, etc) thanks to this board. But not a week goes by that someone isn't *****ing and moaning about "black rifles" this or "tacticool" that, even though if you look back through this forum's topic history, outside of those political times this forum continues to be by a large majority non "tacticool" content.

There is so much non gun or "tacticool" related content on this forum I don't see how it could possibly offend anyone unless they were, like SJWers, spending time actively looking for something to be offended by.

SJWers are little *****es because they can't stand seeing anyone do something other than the exact way they do things, or think anything other than the exact way they think. They feel personally assaulted and persecuted by people who merely talk about things they don't like or hold opinions they don't. If anyone on this board acts similarly, it's the folks who can't stand seeing outdoors content they don't like and whine about it at every opportunity.

If you like the hunting and fishing threads, click on them. If you'd like to see more of them, make some. I'm baffled by supposedly intelligent, grown men who are so triggered by having to scroll by a thread they aren't interested in.
I agree, completely. Well said.

The part of my post you quoted was entirely some rib poking in jest. I figured it would lighten the mood a little since some people were getting their feathers a little ruffled. I own a few ARs and looking for a G19, but unless someone wants to trade for a mod.2 in .40, that's not in the Christmas budget. I originally had a comment about the 1911 master race, but thought it was too obvious. Sarcasm in text form, what can I say?

Average Joe
AG
I might be the oldest 33 year old.
Post removed:
by user
BenderRodriguez
AG
Average Joe said:

The part of my post you quoted was entirely some rib poking in jest.

Gotcha.

Well, I guarantee you may be joking but there were absolutely some posters here nodding in agreement, convinced that the board has been ruined by topics they don't like, who have very vocally and seriously said the same thing you did, repeatedly.

On a non joking related note, 9mm 1911 is best 1911.
DeWrecking Crew
Your last post is relevant in that it speaks to exactly what the problem is...we didn't used to have to explain a post, or whether it was in jest or not, now we do and that sucks
BenderRodriguez
AG
DeWrecking Crew said:

Your last post is relevant in that it speaks to exactly what the problem is...we didn't used to have to explain a post, or whether it was in jest or not, now we do and that sucks

Also true.

How people interact online has made humor harder to convey, and I think that more than anything else drives people off of forums and social media.

That and I think people are just getting dumber. It's harder and harder to tell the difference between brilliant sarcasm and outright ******ation.
Average Joe
AG
I tell my little sis, who leans pretty far to the left, that intent means nothing anymore. Any statement made is 100% fact and should be taken as such. If it is slightly insulting then it was meant to be so and you should be offended.

Average Joe
AG
Quote:

On a non joking related note, 9mm 1911 is best 1911.

I completely agree. I love my Springfield loaded in .45, but 9mm just feels so much better.
Vernada
AG
third coast.. said:

i still want to know if serial flaggers have their flags weighted the same as others. there are definitely posters that fly around flagging posts like theres no tomorrow.
flagged
Vernada
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

DeWrecking Crew said:

Also true.

How people interact online has made humor harder to convey, and I think that more than anything else drives people off of forums and social media.

That and I think people are just getting dumber. It's harder and harder to tell the difference between brilliant sarcasm and outright ******ation.
This. So many hours of deleted posts for me. "How is someone going to take this?" and having to back off.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Vernada said:

third coast.. said:

i still want to know if serial flaggers have their flags weighted the same as others. there are definitely posters that fly around flagging posts like theres no tomorrow.
flagged
flagged for trolling
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
BenderRodriguez
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

This. So many hours of deleted posts for me. "How is someone going to take this?" and having to back off.

I just post it anyway.

So I guess I'm proving my "people are getting dumber" theory.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
KenAg06
AG
great post. I appreciate you as a poster because you bring a whole lot of things to the table that I know little about. It would be a huge dis-service to this board to not have someone like you giving gun opinions and posting sweet videos (even when you miss...what's that about?)
dubi
AG
Quote:

Bans and perma bans! Grown men and women getting so heated or having little to no civility and getting banned on a message board is hilarious to me. Basically getting put it timeout because you can't behave. LOL! Either you are internet tough guys or actually the kind of person who can't have a rational discussion with other people. That's pitiful.

POTD

I have never been banned from Facebook or Texags. I've likely come close on Texags and gotten a break since I'm a chick....

Be nice. It is simple!
Dogdoc
AG
d said:

I have never been banned from Facebook
Log
AG
While we've got WatchOle's attention, can we get a direct image upload feature, rather than having to host on a third party site?
giddings_ag_06
AG
And an easy way to post videos. I've got some awesome hunting videos I'd like to post, but hate youtube and don't know any other way to post them.
AggieChemist
AG
Dogdoc said:

d said:

Been muted and removed as moderator like a boss, though!
dubi
AG
Dogdoc said:

d said:

This says a lot since I am a staunch conservative,dammit!
Long Live Sully
AG
Log said:

While we've got WatchOle's attention, can we get a direct image upload feature, rather than having to host on a third party site?
Do you have any idea what that would cost? Think about how poor the moderation would be if there was no money to pay them the cushy salaries they have now.
Burt Macklin, FBI
AG
dubi said:

Have you tried posting Hitler memes?
dubi
AG
Burt Macklin, FBI said:

dubi said:

Have you tried posting Hitler memes?

I'm smart enough to NOT do that.....apparently some of my FB friends like to be in jail.
Mathguy64
AG
Log said:

I believe they (TA staff, maybe Brandon?) have alluded that they are looking at a way to make this happen.
Tailgate88
AG
Log said:

They are working on that, per a Stewade thread a couple weeks ago...
Naveronski
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

BenderRodriguez said:

DeWrecking Crew said:

Also true.

**** 'em, send it.

...but I'm not running a business.
45-70Ag
AG
What about an outdoor board for people born before 1985 and one for people born after
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Log said:

I like where your head is at (grammar nazi protected).

OR, perhaps Brandon would be so kind as to release, for reading purposes only, a certain thread, involving a certain community in NW Gillespie County that rhymes with "BOSS". Just sayin'.
aggiepublius
AG
Irish_Man said:

What about an outdoor board for people born before 1985 and one for people born after

So basically we need an OB version of the Ewok line?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.