Outdoors
Sponsored by

[Discussion about OB moderation] - Edited thread title

79,072 Views | 686 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Redstone
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dr_boogs said:

AggieChemist said:

WatchOle said:

I don't think any of those posters are banned and at least half have never been moderated even once. Are you saying they stopped posting here due to moderation? I'm honestly curious.

No and I don't think I singled out moderation as the sole driving factor. But this board went from essentially unmoderated to heavily moderated in a period of less than 5 years.

Everyone agrees there has been a change in culture. Everyone agrees the board is less "itself". Everyone agrees it's a negative change.

I know the level of moderation has changed. I know the character of campus has changed. I know we are all getting older.

I don't have answers. I'm just yelling at clouds and missing my friends.

I'm too old and crotchety to make new ones.

You're one of the best posters here. Cigar pass organization alone is worth a permanent blue star. I'm not on FB or I'd ask to join the FB group. I PMd you or messaged you in a thread a year or so ago about hooking up for a steelhead trip sometime. Would still be up for it if you ever wet a fly with folks who aren't from around your neck of the woods.

Too bad you're not on Facebook. I've nearly broken arms trying to get those front holes to steelhead fish with me. Almost done for the year. Will be frozen up soon.
WatchOle
Staff
AG
My goodness - how am I supposed to respond to all of this! You guys are crazy folk in here!
Gig'em, Brandon '95
Post removed:
by user
Naveronski
AG
WatchOle said:

My goodness - how am I supposed to respond to all of this! You guys are crazy folk in here!

Delete the thread?
trouble
AG
I hope the kids are all in bed.
jabberwalkie09
AG
WatchOle said:

TexAgs OB, like giddings' live hunt threads, we got nothing but time.
WatchOle
Staff
AG
drummer0415 said:

Let's summarize for Brandon:

1)Frequency. It seems like this board has been moderated more frequently recently than it used to be.

2) Content. It seems like said frequent moderation has been for "weaker" reasons/content than it used to be. I.e. deleting a thread that may have some friction on it, but doesn't have any inappropriate content or direct personal attacks.

3) Transparency. Instead of deleting threads entirely, just clean up the offending posts. It the thread is really out of hand, then lock it and FULLY explain why. Any moderation, even just deleting posts should be openly explained. This would go a long way towards building repoire and also helping posters understand what they can and cannot get away with.

I can help with the above three things - especially regarding transparency. I'll make sure we improve.

Regarding the return of the golden years of the OB, I'm not sure what to do about that but I'm open to ideas as to how we can help.

Gig'em, Brandon '95
C4D
AG
WatchOle said:

U dont have too.
Here is the fix.
Mods stop deleting threads because somebody complained to you about being offended.

If you get offended by men being men, or, you have taken a selfy in the woods with a nice stripey patern painted on your face, the OB respectfully asks you not to post here.
BrazosDog02
AG
Is this thread going to get stickied as the festivus pole of the OB?

I enjoy the board as a long time poster. I've been rightfully called out by severa posters and it's all good. Sometimes I say things that are taken wrong, sometimes I'm pissed off when I post, and sometimes I just say stupid ***** I always thought having that check and balance made this place good. That's how this is supposed to work I thought.
Colt98
AG
To me the OB, like AC alluded, is like sitting around the camp fire with your buds. We can talk general outdoor stuff, get serious, rib each other, find criminals, all kinds of awesome stuff. Sometime we drink a little to much and get testy with each other but like most buds around a fire we sleep it of and all is good the next day. I understand there are rules, but this forum has always been a place to self moderate and it worked.

Snowflakes have no place here. For someone to get a ban bc"someone may happen to see your post and be offended" is a little lame to me. That's not what the OB is about. I understand the need to stay on top of this on politics and a few other forums, but this isn't the forum to do it. Generally if something gets out of hand we let that poster know.

I love this place... spend way to much time here, but get so much useful information. Where else good I go to find out how to score a 200" deer or to not hunt next to my neighbors oat patch.
AggieChemist
AG
The first you can help and should.

The second is beyond your control and none of us can fix it. But we can lament it and try anyway.
EFE
AG
Sponsor swag for influencers/contributors with cool content.
Post removed:
by user
TheVarian
AG
third coast.. said:

WatchOle said:

BLAZE. ORANGE. VESTS.
VIVA LA OUTDOORS!
RCR06
AG
rather be fishing said:

So can I request that this thread be deleted on here, or should I do that through email?

[email -- Moderator]

Best post on the whole thread
EFE
AG
third coast.. said:

while ive only been around for a decade or so, i get the spirit of what we all want. give us a mod that gets us, that will largely leave us alone minus some insanely egregious offense, and when moderation is necessary, tell us why it was warranted. We police our own here. just look to the threads asking about license plate info. the guys with that capability wont even do that unless theres a valid proven reason. We want to know our mod, embrace our mod, and then screw with our mod, because they are OUR mod.

And first round is on 3rd, but tell them to watch out because he will test boundaries on the first date.
AgEng06
AG
third coast.. said:

while ive only been around for a decade or so, i get the spirit of what we all want. give us a mod that gets us, that will largely leave us alone minus some insanely egregious offense, and when moderation is necessary, tell us why it was warranted. We police our own here. just look to the threads asking about license plate info. the guys with that capability wont even do that unless theres a valid proven reason. We want to know our mod, embrace our mod, and then screw with our mod, because they are OUR mod.

I'll do it. And I'll even use my username.

The only thing I'll moderate is egregious, way over the line BS... and crossbow posts.
Post removed:
by user
Badace52
AG
I'm on FB and in the OB group. I'll pay more attention next year around steelhead time. I'm not really a fly fisherman, but I'm a quick study. Maybe I'll pick it up between now and then.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

This is something that I've actually been talking to Logan about... this time of year, it's hard to do much with but after Christmas, I'm hoping something cool happens. Don't want to tip my hand yet, but it's not Texian related but content related and I'm really hoping it will end up being much more than just me.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
ellebee
TheEyeGuy said:

EagleFordEarl said:

This is something that I've actually been talking to Logan about... this time of year, it's hard to do much with but after Christmas, I'm hoping something cool happens. Don't want to tip my hand yet, but it's not Texian related but content related and I'm really hoping it will end up being much more than just me.

HOOKERS AND BLOW FOR EVERYONE
JobSecurity
AG
I understand the concern regarding retaliation against moderation, but what if the mods are okay with the risk?

There are plenty of good posters here that I bet would be willing to either publicly moderate the board or at least serve as a "liason" to the mod team.
johnrth
Let me start by saying i'm halfway through reading this thread.

I don't post much and lurk A LOT I can't contribute as well as others but I love the reading material of the years past. The posts were everyone grabbed their pitch forks for some reason or other, the posts of missing Aggie rings in dry tanks, crazy foxes messing with cats and of course Big Bens Craigslist Disaster.

There is a lot of great OB posters that are no longer around, or at least their lurking, but some of those people made great contributions.

As said before MOST posters on here have thick skin and can deal with some of the crap, we don't need anonymous mods trying to save the day. We can handle it.

MOBGA.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
foleyt said:

I understand the concern regarding retaliation against moderation, but what if the mods are okay with the risk?

There are plenty of good posters here that I bet would be willing to either publicly moderate the board or at least serve as a "liason" to the mod team.
Exactly why I think the "liason" would be the best route. Give us a voice and an eye inside the moderation circle. It allows there to be some accountability without outing anyone. If the liason is known but doesn't have the ability to moderate, should mean they won't have to worrying about doucebaggery from ITGs.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
mpl35
AG
Can we actually get that Charpie to quit posting on the OB. Lying ***** said she would leave like 10 pages ago and I keep reading her garbage despite that.

Thanks!
AgsMnn
AG
New sign idea.

"Outdoor Board-WE MODERATE OURSELVES
Talon2DSO
AG
1. I like Charpie.

2. I like pics of nature and **** like that

3. I like pics of hot chicks holding fish

4. Can I be a moderator? Nobody would ever suspect me
EFE
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

EagleFordEarl said:

I'm a 5-25 ATACR or a USO-B25 depending on what shoes I wear...
bassmaster07
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

EagleFordEarl said:

Can we curse? Got dambit I need to buy something from you. Guess my next ammo purchase will be on the black market. Bourbon and this thread are a delight.

Screw all the insider premium football crap! This place is the only reason I still get on here. Make it great again.

Eyeguy keep it up. Plenty of aggies with money (after buying stars of course). Agrams nuff said. Giddings keep trying.

I need a refill!
87IE
AG
agrams said:

I'm still around each day, I just try to limit my posting about my hobby. its borderline outdoors (more home improvement.. but that forum is slower) so I don't want to spam it to this forum. I'm also swallowed with a lot of bigger projects and backlogged until probably February. this year has been a lesson in learning to turn down projects and be more selective.

YOUR PROJECT POSTS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME - STAFF

Thanks staff.

Agrams, this board, IMHO, is where you belong. Chainsaws are used outdoors!!!!!

It's Laken Riley, not Lincoln you idiot
BCStalk
I thought PFG was the unofficial mod around here?
CharlieBrown17
AG
mpl35
AG
And thanks for actually taking the time and posting Watchole. When you actually engage is one of the reason I don't drop my sub- the other being Jason/Logan/Hop and the OB. Reminds me not all of Texags is thin skinned jerkoffs.
flashplayer
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

foleyt said:

Exactly why I think the "liason" would be the best route. Give us a voice and an eye inside the moderation circle. It allows there to be some accountability without outing anyone. If the liason is known but doesn't have the ability to moderate, should mean they won't have to worrying about doucebaggery from ITGs.

I expect term limits so as to not allow the liaison to become a shill for the swamp ...er, moderators.
45-70Ag
AG
Well, ummmm..........not sure what i was going to say now

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.