Outdoors
Sponsored by

2017 OB Fitness Goals Thread

78,136 Views | 835 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggielostinETX
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rather be fishing said:

Work dinners and 16oz prime ribeyes are probably not the best for me diet.
Not a thing wrong with ribeyes. Just pair them with a salad and asparagus, not a loaded baked potato and hot rolls.

Hell, I eat steak a couple times a week.
htxag09
AG
Nothing wrong with steak, in moderation, including ribeyes. However, ribeyes are a pretty fatty cut.
AggieChemist
AG
Fat isn't the enemy, sugar is.
Ol Jock 99
AG
AggieChemist said:

Fat isn't the enemy, sugar is.
And salt. When you start looking how much salt is in "healthy" stuff, it is unreal.
htxag09
AG
Eh, calories are pretty critical when only talking about losing weight. Sirloin has about 210 cal / 3.5 oz, filet about 350, and ribeye about 470. And that's 3.5 oz.

So yeah, eating a 16 oz, assume a bone, so around 1600 calories just for your protein. Yeah, not doing any favors in losing weight.

And again, it's fine in moderation. Hell, we had dry aged ribeyes at the house last night.
AggieChemist
AG
I suppose my situation is slightly unique in that I am specifically targeting my metabolism and purposely staying more or less in a state of ketosis, which forces my body to metabolize fat for energy instead of circulating glucose and stored glycogen.

For one thing, a man of my size and activity level needs about 2,800 calories just to stay at a steady state. So it's no big deal for me to eat a 500 calorie breakfast and lunch, and then take down a nice big steak and veg for supper. Furthermore, if I do overeat one day (which I do a day or two per week) my metabolic state is going to stay ketotic and continue to mobilize fat.

So 1600 calories of steak is in a very real way different than 1600 calories of pizza, which would skyrocket my levels of glucose, glycogen, insulin, etc and change my metabolic pathway for days.

FirefightAg
AG
Sean98 said:

Filed under the "weight isn't everything" category. I'm actually down a pound this week, but feel and look terrible. I'm still battling some kind of 2 week head cold/sinus infection that has virtually eliminated any sort of exercise from my life. I'm slowly feeling better, but only marginally so.

Pretty much the same here. Haven't cared to do much and for sure haven't tried to eat well. Leaving for a ski trip in CO in two weeks. Got to work hard
AgLA06
AG
I'll give you a different weight isn't everything.

I had my 6 month physical yesterday. I had started working out and trying to eat a little better last July in preparation for an elk hunt the last week of October 2016. I didn't get to where I wanted to, but I did lose 35 pounds in the process. My last 6 month physical was just before my trip and all my stats came in quite improved.

With the holidays I slacked off and gained weight back before getting back on track after the new year. I was expecting a bad report, but my blood work and stats were just as good, and even slightly better. My Dr. is even considering taking me off blood pressure medicine. We compromised at cutting one in half since I'm already at the lowest dose. The exercise has done wonders. As my Dr. Put it, "Your a healthy guy." Then I reminded him that's true, except I'm still extremely fat. It was good motivation to get my ass up at 5:00am and hit the pavement with the dogs this morning.

Now I just need to get to my goal weight before elk season.
FSGuide
I got in on this thread late. Didn't enter my numbers until last week. On my end it doesn't look like the google doc is tracking my numbers
AggieChemist
AG
Put your starting weight in the 1/1/17 column
rather be fishing
AG
It's all of the courses that come before the steak.
Guitarsoup
AG
SW: 212
GW: 170
CW: 194

Doing a diet bet with some other Aggies if anyone is interested: http://dbet.me/6aDGGL

If you haven't done one, this is the way it works:

Pay $50.
Weigh in. They will give you a word to write on a piece of paper on your weigh in day. Take a pic of the scale, and a full body pic of you standing on the scale in a t-shirt and shorts.

Lose 4% of your body weight in 4 weeks. So at 200lbs, that's 8 lbs. At 300lbs that is 12lbs.

Everyone in the pool that loses 4% or more splits the pool of money of everyone who doesn't lose the 4%. Guaranteed to get your money back if everyone makes their weight.

Did one in January with some Ags. Good way to keep motivated.
MouthBQ98
AG
Fat has a lot of calorie content, but your body also has to work harder to digest and metabolize it and it is more nutritious than simple carbs. Your body actually usually converts most of your simple carbs it doesn't immediately use into body fat before it uses it as energy.
reddog90
AG
What's yall's macros?

~180 lb right now
1.1 protein, .7 fat, 1.5 carbs
Currently a little over 3,000 calories daily (~500 surplus)
gained 2.76 lb in 6 weeks
AggieChemist
AG
A buddy of mine at work told me about this stuff. It's made from the root of some Japanese plant, and is 100% galactomannan. It has no calories and no carbs.

I ordered a six pack to try it off of Amazon and made seared tuna over "rice" with wasabi, soy, and sriracha. It was really good and scratched the itch I was having for an Asian meal.

the texture is more risotto-ish than rice, but with a little imagination I couldn't really tell the difference. They make pastas out of this stuff too, but I haven't tried them.

I try to keep very low carb, so rice is something I don't eat, but I love Asian/indian dishes and I miss the rice.

This isn't a bad substitute. And, eating a very low carb, low residue diet, I can always use the extra fiber.
AggieChemist
AG
reddog90 said:

What's yall's macros?

~180 lb right now
1.1 protein, .7 fat, 1.5 carbs
Currently a little over 3,000 calories daily (~500 surplus)
gained 2.76 lb in 6 weeks

~200 g protein
<50 g carbs
rest healthy fats

I'm pretty much freebasing guacamole these days.
Sean98
AG
One of these days I'm probably going to face a harsh reality. I'm 40+ and I would guess half of my diet is pizza, burgers, sub sandwiches. And through a little exercise and high levels of stress I can stay thin.

I'm sure that'll change one day. #nottemptingkarma
AgLA06
AG
Sean98 said:

One of these days I'm probably going to face a harsh reality. I'm 40+ and I would guess half of my diet is pizza, burgers, sub sandwiches. And through a little exercise and high levels of stress I can stay thin.

I'm sure that'll change one day. #nottemptingkarma

I hate you.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Started this about a month ago, still trying to dial my macros in but have only been over 50 net carbs on 2 days and it has been great.
Guitarsoup
AG
I stay under 20 net carbs. Gone over twice in 5 weeks.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I have been down under 20 net a time or two but it has been hard to sustain and still get 2k calories.
Guitarsoup
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

I have been down under 20 net a time or two but it has been hard to sustain and still get 2k calories.
Agree to disagree.

AggieGunslinger
AG
I am actually going to smoke a few pork butts and briskets this weekend to have some more protein on hand. I can only eat so much chicken.
BreNayPop
AG
BreNayPop said:

SW 262
GW 200

SW= 262
Wk 1 wt= 258
Wk 2 wt= 252.2
Wk 3 wt= 247
Wk 4 wt= 250
Wk 5=248
Wk 6 wt= 248.4

Wk 7= 244

I did take it relatively easy last week, time to punish again.
jetch17
AG
I've got to get back onto the paintrain after backsliding pretty hard the last couple weeks
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
AggieChemist said:

A buddy of mine at work told me about this stuff. It's made from the root of some Japanese plant, and is 100% galactomannan. It has no calories and no carbs.

I ordered a six pack to try it off of Amazon and made seared tuna over "rice" with wasabi, soy, and sriracha. It was really good and scratched the itch I was having for an Asian meal.

the texture is more risotto-ish than rice, but with a little imagination I couldn't really tell the difference. They make pastas out of this stuff too, but I haven't tried them.

I try to keep very low carb, so rice is something I don't eat, but I love Asian/indian dishes and I miss the rice.

This isn't a bad substitute. And, eating a very low carb, low residue diet, I can always use the extra fiber.
I need to look into this. Is this Fenugreek Seeds? Looking on Amazon.
On a similar note my wife has made cauliflower mashed "potatoes" with cream cheese and sour cream.
You can also buy "riced" Cauliflower in some grocery stores (HEB has it).
I was going to try to make some fried rice with some.
Sean98
AG
I am really sad for 'you people.' seems perfectly worth it to me to run an extra 2 miles and eat some real F****ing rice. Not some cauliflower rice bullsheet.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Rice isn't worth that amount of effort.

Also cauliflower anything taste like cauliflower, not rice or mashed potatoes or whatever is popular this month. No matter how much sour cream and butter is involved.
Sean98
AG
Agreed, but some guys were really jonesing for rice to the point they were considering cauliflower so they seem desperate.

I'm semi back on track this week. Still not fully back in cardio, but better. Down to 201. A pound away from my annual goal.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Sean98 said:

I am really sad for 'you people.' seems perfectly worth it to me to run an extra 2 miles and eat some real F****ing rice. Not some cauliflower rice bullsheet.
Who you calling "you people"?

Running won't help me if I'm knocked out of ketosis on 30g or less each day of carbs. Methods, Madness and other things.
Quote:

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 cup of cooked white rice
Total Carbohydrate - 44.08g
I'm gonna TRY cauliflower rice as fried rice; if I remember, I will report back.
* If you never hear from me again, I died from eating a vegetable pretending to be a starch.
toolshed
AG
Down another 2.5 lbs this week. Slow and steady I guess...

It's hard to turn down those carbs that are bumping me out of ketosis, but I have to get more serious about it and I think I'd see more drastic weekly changes. Grilled steak, chicken, etc. is great, but lack of variety sucks a bit.

Anyone use higher protein soups to keep up their protein counts? I was thinking steak stew or chicken soups, minus the carbs (rice, noodles, etc.). I figure the broth is healthy, helps with hydration, is filling, and the meat is good on the protein front. I'm just looking for more variety from the fajita bowls, grilled meat, lunch meat, etc..
AlaskanAg99
AG
Down 0 lbs this as week. I'm losing fat as my pants fit better, but gaining muscle. Adding 20lbs per week to the machine sets I do. And Im a few weeks yet from my old strength where I can max out most machines. Faster and more comfortable in the pool as well. Weeks ahead of where I thought I'd be. Swimming a mile nonstop after 4 swims and now working on the clock. Goal is 36 laps (1mi) in 36 minutes. Then adding laps until I swim for an hour straight.

So not as concerned about weight as long as I'm seeing and feeling other goals.
AggieChemist
AG
Venison chili is one of my staples.
TheVarian
AG
Do bone broth or low sodium too
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
toolshed said:

Down another 2.5 lbs this week. Slow and steady I guess...

It's hard to turn down those carbs that are bumping me out of ketosis, but I have to get more serious about it and I think I'd see more drastic weekly changes. Grilled steak, chicken, etc. is great, but lack of variety sucks a bit.

Anyone use higher protein soups to keep up their protein counts? I was thinking steak stew or chicken soups, minus the carbs (rice, noodles, etc.). I figure the broth is healthy, helps with hydration, is filling, and the meat is good on the protein front. I'm just looking for more variety from the fajita bowls, grilled meat, lunch meat, etc..
Keto food we look for when we are out:
* Fajita - you already mentioned. At Los Cucos in Seguin they have pablano sauce - try it. Maybe the local does it.
* Asado - Pork in red sauce
* Chile Verde - like green chili stew without the potatoes
* Our HEB has the BBQ joint inside get Brisket & Caesar side salad with avocado and ranch.
* Chick-Fil-A salad with unbreaded nuggets or just a few breaded nuggets - check the carbs
* Our favorite Mexican food place makes a Chile Relleno without the batter. It make 2 beef "enchiladas" out of them by having the Ground beef, covered with Chiles, covered with Red sauce and Cheese.
* We have a meat market that makes fantastic Burger patties and since they use plain old Mrs. Baird's buns I just have them stack it with grill onions, Swiss cheese and bacon (guacamole if you want). Fuddruckers works well for this also.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.