Outdoors
Sponsored by

2017 OB Fitness Goals Thread

78,039 Views | 835 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggielostinETX
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
drummer0415 said:

Reasons crossfit annoys me:

1) They can't stfu about crossfit
2) Many of the "exercises" they do are ridiculous, and down right dangerous to your body.
3) They can't stfu about crossfit
4) Calling your gym a "box"
5) They can't stfu about crossfit
6) Posting pictures of your "workout day" on Facebook, complete with a group photo at the end where at least one person is dabbing and at least one dude is shirtless.
7) They can't stfu about crossfit.
8) The fact that someone needs a "trainer" just to work up a sweat is pretty sad
9) They can't stfu about crossfit
Reason that people that crossfit annoys annoy me:
1) They can't stfu about crossfit.
TexasAggie_02
AG
crossfit needs to be like fight club.
AggieChemist
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

crossfit needs to be like fight club.
I mentioned it once and the anti-fanboys came out.

From now on I shall refer to it as the gym.
Sean98
AG
I regret that I have but 1 blue star to give drummer's post. But honestly I could care less what gets you off the couch, your team building "squad goals" or your "uniform." My bigger issue is #2.

Many of the things they do are pretty dangerous. ...maybe not many, but more than a few. I think you could just bail on about 1/4 of the things they do and it'd be great for you. Also, at least here locally, it's expensive as f****. I think they have to be banking big cash because they rented a long empty trucking warehouse (I bet they got it cheeeeeeap) and charge $$$$$$.
aggielostinETX
AG
if you need some rowing variance...

http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/wod
Sean98
AG
Oh, I get the daily emails.

When I started logging my stuff last week it made me sad to see that my previous logged workout was Sept 9. ...the day before I left for the soul killing elk "hunt." From the day I got back until January it was cry, b**ch, moan, whine, eat ice cream, act like a girl who has been dumped.
aggielostinETX
AG
Do you have a C2 in the house or something else?

stdeb11
AG
I'll bite since I have done Crossfit previously (I just lift oly and do my own cardio now). What are these "dangerous" exercises referenced? Are y'all referring to the olympic lifts or other movements at too high a weight for good form? If so, I would argue that's more related to the specific "coaching" rather than the exercise itself

I do get all the crossfit hate towards the people who won't stfu about it, box, shirtless bro, etc...
aggielostinETX
AG
stdeb11 said:

I'll bite since I have done Crossfit previously (I just lift oly and do my own cardio now). What are these "dangerous" exercises referenced? Are y'all referring to the olympic lifts or other movements at too high a weight for good form? If so, I would argue that's more related to the specific "coaching" rather than the exercise itself

I do get all the crossfit hate towards the people who won't stfu about it, box, shirtless bro, etc...
Don't argue facts with some anecdotal BS. As a former CFer, I still see its benefits, I just don't have time to make the classes anymore.
Hoss
AG
drummer0415 said:

Reasons crossfit annoys me:

1) They can't stfu about crossfit
2) Many of the "exercises" they do are ridiculous, and down right dangerous to your body.
3) They can't stfu about crossfit
4) Calling your gym a "box"
5) They can't stfu about crossfit
6) Posting pictures of your "workout day" on Facebook, complete with a group photo at the end where at least one person is dabbing and at least one dude is shirtless.
7) They can't stfu about crossfit.
8) The fact that someone needs a "trainer" just to work up a sweat is pretty sad
9) They can't stfu about crossfit
1, 3, 5, 7 & 9) I get that. We're not all that way though. Some of us just like the results we get and don't talk about it much unless asked/prompted or with other CF people.

2) I haven't seen that at my gym (yes...I still call it a gym). What do you consider dangerous? Olympic lifts?

6) I had to have my kids tell me what dabbing is. Haven't seen that either.

8) The best athletes in the world have trainers. Not sure why you think that is sad.

Sean) Yeah, it's expensive. That's what kept me from doing it for so long. I finally decided to give it a shot because I just needed something different and had always wanted to try it. Now I love it and see the cost as an investment in me.

Hoss
AG
Also...I started the Whole 30 program today to jump start the year and get my diet back in check. I did great from August through basically Christmas Eve, but then fell off the wagon for a couple of weeks. Time to reset.
Sean98
AG
Deats said:

I do. Not a fancy new one, but a Model C that is very functional.

Quote:

I think there are a number of fair points in here. But yes, in general the kiy-ups, Snatch, Overhead squats, etc. I mean nothing is really dangerous if you are strong enough and have perfect form, right? But a lot of these are very complicated, require borderline perfect form, and the times I've been around these gyms the 1 on 1 attention/teaching/technique/supervision has never been present in what I would consider an appropriate amount. Anecdotally even my primary doc (who's office is in the same neighborhood as the CF gym) has related to me that he saw an exponential spike in injuries after the gym opened, and individuals noted that is where the bulk of the injuries occurred.

Given the right time, training, and avoidance of machismo that allows you to use the appropriate amount of weight (without bending to the peer pressure of lifting what others do) then it should all be safe. But to me one of the great benefits of Crossfit is the camaraderie and "push" that others give you that makes you push through barriers that would probably stop you at home. ...that same "push" leads to a lot of injuries in my estimation.

Having said all of that, I am not a Dr., nor do I pretend to be one and everything I say is anecdotal or personal observed experiences in my area. Hell, I get hurt lifting at home by myself and I really don't "push through" those barriers.
AggieChemist
AG
Sean98 said:

Deats said:

I do. Not a fancy new one, but a Model C that is very functional.

Quote:

I think there are a number of fair points in here. But yes, in general the kiy-ups, Snatch, Overhead squats, etc. I mean nothing is really dangerous if you are strong enough and have perfect form, right? But a lot of these are very complicated, require borderline perfect form, and the times I've been around these gyms the 1 on 1 attention/teaching/technique/supervision has never been present in what I would consider an appropriate amount. Anecdotally even my primary doc (who's office is in the same neighborhood as the CF gym) has related to me that he saw an exponential spike in injuries after the gym opened, and individuals noted that is where the bulk of the injuries occurred.

Given the right time, training, and avoidance of machismo that allows you to use the appropriate amount of weight (without bending to the peer pressure of lifting what others do) then it should all be safe. But to me one of the great benefits of Crossfit is the camaraderie and "push" that others give you that makes you push through barriers that would probably stop you at home. ...that same "push" leads to a lot of injuries in my estimation.

Having said all of that, I am not a Dr., nor do I pretend to be one and everything I say is anecdotal or personal observed experiences in my area. Hell, I get hurt lifting at home by myself and I really don't "push through" those barriers.

My overhead squat and snatch are like 115lbs because I'm 40 and not stupid. My class runs anywhere from 2 to 5 people, and the coach is very attentive. And we generally don't do complex OLY lifts for time. We have a dedicated weight training portion several time per week dedicated to that.

Usually the lifts that show up in timed workouts are deadlifts, cleans, and thrusters, and all of those are with low weight. The most I've ever deadlifted "for time" was reps with 225, which is like 60% of my max. Cleans I will do like 115 for time, and thrusters are bare bar, because F thrusters.
DuckDown2013
AG
Another thumbs up for Crossfit, here.

I do it 4-5 times a week and would like to think that I am not a ******.
I am not overweight & lazy and don't need a trainer to get me off of the couch.
BUT-- I do value the competitive setting that helps me push myself farther than a regular gym would.
A regular gym also does not allow for OLY lifts
Sean98
AG
AggieChemist said:

Sean98 said:

Deats said:

My overhead squat and snatch are like 115lbs because I'm 40 and not stupid. My class runs anywhere from 2 to 5 people, and the coach is very attentive. And we generally don't do complex OLY lifts for time. We have a dedicated weight training portion several time per week dedicated to that.

Usually the lifts that show up in timed workouts are deadlifts, cleans, and thrusters, and all of those are with low weight. The most I've ever deadlifted "for time" was reps with 225, which is like 60% of my max. Cleans I will do like 115 for time, and thrusters are bare bar, because F thrusters.

and these all sound like very reasonable things from a person who recognizes his own limitations. Not everyone possesses that self-awareness.

I don't hate Crossfit. I'm even rather intrigued by it. But neither am I blind (and I'm not saying you are) to it's potential hazards, many self-inflicted by the participants.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Jumping in on this thread,

I was down to 190 the end of this summer from about 200. I spent 4 weeks in Mississippi and Alabama for the AFROTC probably got down to 185 in the middle of that. I'm back to 200ish and want to get consistently under 195 but also get back to weight lifting but in a healthier way than I did in highschool.

Side note planning to spend 6 weeks as a trainer for afrtoc this summer so getting a little yoked first sounds fun
CanyonAg77
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

The lemonade cleanse worked for me!!

A lot of the Outdoors Board is only here because dear old dad had a Carpenters 8-track in the player when it came time for a little romancing.
fido00
AG
I gained quite a bit of weight at the end of 2016. After not working out for a few months at the end of 2016, I plan to get back to more cardio, which I have found to be my easiest way to drop the pounds.

I am currently 6'3 and 250#. Thats just too big for me. I want to get below 225.

My wife and I are running the Cap 10K, so that should motivate me to not be too out of shape come April.
AggieChemist
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

The lemonade cleanse worked for me!!

A lot of the Outdoors Board is only here because dear old dad had a Carpenters 8-track in the player when it came time for a little romancing.
Let's not kid ourselves. You're talking about half the OB's GRANDPARENTS.
Sean98
AG
Grumpy, crappy morning today. Old. Knees hurt. Back hurts. E'er thing hurts. Not bad, but noticeable. Standing on marble floors all day in dress shoes is taking a toll this week.
AggieChemist
AG
Sean98 said:

Grumpy, crappy morning today. Old. Knees hurt. Back hurts. E'er thing hurts. Not bad, but noticeable. Standing on marble floors all day in dress shoes is taking a toll this week.
Hoss
AG
Sean98 said:

Oh yeah? Well, I do CrossFit, so...

Sean98
AG
Yeah, yeah, yeah. There's always a break-in period for me at the beginning of the legislative session. Marble floors, marble stairs, lots of standing... combine that with general fat guy workout fatigue, and then unfortunately with 40 years of treating my body like hammered dog s**t and it wasn't fun. The good news is I get about an extra 1000 stairs a day. The bad news is I gorged myself on mexican food last night (and ALL the flour tortillas!!) so I'm not sure that'll be enough.

I also sprained a LCL in my left knee about 6 weeks ago in a bird field, and it's been giving me hell. It was getting better, but I must have re-aggravated it yesterday because it is definitely barking today.

Getting old sucks. I can't imagine how much it must suck if I were overweight too. My weight is about right, but the percentage of muscle to fat/how I look in the mirror isn't quite right. But it's not terrible either.

...all that said I still hit the erg and I still lifted this morning.
stdeb11
AG
I'm in.

Current weight: 183
Goal Weight: 168 or lower (compete in 77kg USAW weight class)

Fitness goals: complete a triathlon and higher maxes for those dangerous Olympic lifting movements....mainly get in better shape for hunting

I actually got down to about 164 lbs during elk season last year, but I also had been training for a few months and backpacked about 75 miles in September
reddog90
AG
Some of you guys had some serious bowel movements to lose that much weight in a week.

Remember, don't type in yellow cells.. And someone already has a weight in for 1.15.17.
aggielostinETX
AG
avg'ing 5k every other day is bringing the calluses back...

Sean98
AG
Because you are a sean-shaming a-hole I have now hit 6000 on Monday, 6000 on Tuesday, 3500 yesterday and 2500 this morning...

I'm trying to vary my grip enough to spread the callouses out a little.
aggielostinETX
AG
Sean98 said:

Because you are a sean-shaming a-hole I have now hit 6000 on Monday, 6000 on Tuesday, 3500 yesterday and 2500 this morning...

I'm trying to vary my grip enough to spread the callouses out a little.
get some gloves. I am thinking now I'll hit 1MM by July... This has been easier than I thought. I want to do 42194m(a marathon) on a Sunday in June.
Sean98
AG
I have gloves, and wear them occasionally, but haven't done a long enough row this week where I felt it was necessary. Hands are pretty good so far. Still just trying to get my legs/lungs under me again so I'm not exactly killing it yet in time.

To delve into the rowing dork world a little bit if you don't mind me asking, do you have preferred damper settings? Do you adjust them up/down based on your daily workout? Adjust them if you're sprinting vs. marathon'ing (<-- which I'll never do, that sounds dumb)?

I'm really scuffling with my breathing too on my longer rows. Can't find the right "rhythm." An inhale/exhale per stroke is too much making me borderline hyperventilating, but every other stroke isn't enough... Exhaling on the stroke is easy and natural, but inhaling on the next stroke is not. Just struggling with that. Not so bad on sprints. If I'm trying to get sub 1:40 on a 500m sprint then it's impossible to breathe too much. But on a good pace over 2500m+ and I'm out of sorts and feel like I'm leaving a lot of time out there.
The Wonderer
AG
Anybody else laughing at Sean and Deats' convo when taking out the context of rowing?

Or am I the only one with a mind of a 9 year old?
Sean98
AG
My rhythm and breathing concerns are solely limited to the Concept2 erg machine in the context of this discussion.
aggielostinETX
AG
On long rows, I really manage my strokes to keep them between 25-28 but use the intensity of my arm pulls and leg presses to vary the speed pace.

On sprints, I just crank and try to breathe whatever feels natural. Usually end up 1.5 strokes per breath.

I use a water rower set at 16. To me, it feels comparable to a C2 at 6-7.
aggielostinETX
AG
The Wonderer said:

Anybody else laughing at Sean and Deats' convo when taking out the context of rowing?

Or am I the only one with a mind of a 9 year old?
1:40 is pretty good when i am "sprinting"....
ironmanag
AG
Ended 2016 at 219. Low was 214.

2017 goal is 200.

Want to run a half marathon next fall.
Hoss
AG
If I recall correctly from our FFA days, Sean is pretty tall and lean. That's great for rowing. He oughta be able to sprint a 1:40 without hardly breathing. I did a 1:39 500m max effort a week or two ago and I'm 300 lbs. Come on, Sean, put some effort in it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.