Starfield from Bethesda

69,408 Views | 842 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by jr15aggie
Breggy Popup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
spieg12 said:

DallasTeleAg said:

I will say, I would criticize the mobility when on planet. There should definitely be a way to call your ship to you, or some type of landing craft/vehicle to drive around the planet.

You can fast travel to your ship or any other point you have discovered on a planet by pulling up the scanner and pressing the action button on the icon.

Unless you are encumbered. In which case calling your ship to you would be nice if you are 3-4km away.
DallasTeleAg
Wrong. I pickup too much and am overburdened.
DallasTeleAg
Beat me too it.

Also, the awesome visual of you seeing your ship liftoff and fly too you would be awesome. Maybe require having a crew member with the piloting skill to do it.
zip04
AG
Just started NG+. I'll likely bounce back and forth between this and BG3 for a while. I look forward to diving more into the ship building and piracy.
flakrat
AG
jr15aggie said:

Anybody else get the Gymnastic perk? Combat sliding felt like a great way to make the combat even better....

What a worthless perk! You slide no more than like a foot. What is even the purpose of that!

Can you respec your character in Starfield?
zip04
AG
Nope
flakrat
AG
I understand why, but bummer that you can't do it once per character. Or, at least let you undo the last skill point allocation at any time before your next point allocation.
Breggy Popup
AG
Somethibg I haven't figured out about skills and ranks is sometimes I pick a skill, hit rank 1, complete the rank challenge and suddenly rank 3 or 4 is available. I have no idea if that is a feature or a bug.
maverick2076
Got sucked into a side quest with SysDef yesterday and I still haven't finished it.
DallasTeleAg
maverick2076 said:

Got sucked into a side quest with SysDef yesterday and I still haven't finished it.

That's a good one, with a lot of choices to make.
maverick2076
It was. Finally finished it. I was actually a little conflicted throughout.
Breggy Popup
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Beat me too it.

Also, the awesome visual of you seeing your ship liftoff and fly too you would be awesome. Maybe require having a crew member with the piloting skill to do it.
I just got wildly annoyed by the realization that the weight of what you are carrying is not effected by the gravity of the body you are on. If I am on a planet or moon with .1 gravity, my 100kg of inventory should weigh 10kg. I should be able to load up on 10x the stuff before becoming encumbered.
wangus12
AG
That's why they didn't base it on weight but rather on mass. Weight changes based on gravity, mass doesn't
Breggy Popup
AG
wangus12 said:

That's why they didn't base it on weight but rather on mass. Weight changes based on gravity, mass doesn't

Oh yeah that's a good point. Ok I'm less irritated now.
Tex117
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Artorias said:

Tex117 said:

Claude! said:

What I think falls a little flat is the free-form planetary exploration. The cities are great, and the pre-set places are generally okay, but the randomly generated points of interest aren't really compelling, and there's not really a whole lot to do or see between them. I know it's an unfair comparison, but I haven't come across any of the random fun or interesting non-marked environments like I did in Skyrim or Fallout. Makes that piece of the game, which has heretofore been a hallmark of Bethesda games, not incredibly engaging, and makes surveying a planet a chore more than anything. Especially when I need to survey aquatic fauna but can't find the coast despite landing on a tiny island.
For a game that was billed as a space exploration game...there was little of it.

They should have just gone for like 20 (or so), hand designed planets where you could fly and land between them.

The quests are in fact pretty good. Better than usual Bethesda fare.

I cant help but think they just missed the mark with this one a little bit.
Fewer planets with more content is the number one criticism I have been seeing from people about the game. The quests only send you to a dozen or so different planets, of the 1000+ in the game. There is little to no reason to visit 95% of the planets in the game.

I completely disagree.

I think the problem is the Bethesda fans who created their own expectation of what this game is.

I get that many of us are fans of the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games, but this is not those games. This was never billed as "Skyrim in Space" or "Fallout in Space". This was billed as a completely different kind of game, with room to grow, be modded, and be played for years to come. I think they hit the mark very well.

Static locations to stumble upon? I think there are just as many of these as any other of their games, if not more. However, they aren't all within 1 square mile of each other. It's a freaking space game where you are supposed to explore the entire galaxy. And yes, there will be many barren planets out there, but that's more realistic.

I'm level 40, have around 60 hours invested in this game, on to NG+, and still am looking forward to exploring and starting other questlines to see what's out there. I'd say the game did it's job very well, for me.

I guess I just don't understand the criticism of there being too many empty planets. So? Don't go to them. If they had only created 20 densely populated planets, it would feel like this game was too small for one billed as a space exploration game.
Im glad you are enjoying the game! Im not having a "bad" time. Im also not complaining about the empty planets either.

Im complaining about how dated the mission structure is. How to even get to the "big" places you want to go, its a clunky menu system.

There just isn't a sense of crusin around with emergent gameplay (a hallmark of Bethesda games since the beginning).

It all just feels like a game from 2013 rather than 2023.
DallasTeleAg
But... it's a space game. You can't just roam around and happen across a mine, leave and wander 50ft and happen across a fort.

By definition, you have to get in your ship and travel somewhere. Generally, you should discover new things when there is a reason for you to go to a given system. It literally is not even supposed to be the same as elder scrolls.

I just dont understand that as a criticism. I get if it's just not your kind of game, but what you're saying would be like saying a side scrolling platformer is great and all, but it's 2023, so should be in 3D instead of 2D.

Breggy Popup
AG
I agree. I'm not sure what folks think they'll do between planets, moons and systems.

Could you imagine if it took hours or days of real world time to get somewhere? And you're on autopilot waiting for the time to pass and oops you crash into the place you were meaning to go.

There is nothing in space. Nothing to find. Nowhere to explore.
AgDev01
AG
The more I play this to more I wish Todd was a fan of pirate games. The way this game is set up is so ideal for an amazing pirate themed game.

Replace space with seas, ship building with, well ship building, and outposts with bases etc. They could have some handcrafted major land masses along with procedural islands.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Bregxit said:

I agree. I'm not sure what folks think they'll do between planets, moons and systems.

Could you imagine if it took hours or days of real world time to get somewhere? And you're on autopilot waiting for the time to pass and oops you crash into the place you were meaning to go.

I think they should limit how easy it is to jump to another planet. Like maybe you are still limited by how far you can travel, but once you are in a system, you have to physically travel to it instead of just jumping around in your ship?

I see your point, but it does feel way more like a "planet exploration" game than a "space exploration" game, if that makes any sense. There were some quests where you basically have to fast travel 3 or 4 times to complete it, and that always takes me out of the game experience.
spieg12
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Bregxit said:

I think they should limit how easy it is to jump to another planet. Like maybe you are still limited by how far you can travel, but once you are in a system, you have to physically travel to it instead of just jumping around in your ship?

I see your point, but it does feel way more like a "planet exploration" game than a "space exploration" game, if that makes any sense. There were some quests where you basically have to fast travel 3 or 4 times to complete it, and that always takes me out of the game experience.

You can play the whole game without fast traveling. When on a planet, get in your ship and press the take off button. Once in space, pull up the map and select a system to travel to instead of picking a landing spot on a planet. After the grav jump, pull up the map and select the planet you want to travel to (if it's not the default planet for grav jumping). Then pull up map and select the landing zone. For most people this gets old after the 672nd time, hence the fast traveling.
Tex117
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

But... it's a space game. You can't just roam around and happen across a mine, leave and wander 50ft and happen across a fort.

By definition, you have to get in your ship and travel somewhere. Generally, you should discover new things when there is a reason for you to go to a given system. It literally is not even supposed to be the same as elder scrolls.

I just dont understand that as a criticism. I get if it's just not your kind of game, but what you're saying would be like saying a side scrolling platformer is great and all, but it's 2023, so should be in 3D instead of 2D.

But thing is...you really don't get in your ship and go anywhere. Menu...selection...menu...menu...land.

A structure more like the Outer Wilds would have been alot better here. (Or, if they went the other way..Something like No Man's Sky or Elite Dangerous).

The quests I like...definitely a higher average of good quests than the usual Bethesda game.

My gripe is that it feels more claustrophobic than it should...(To me at least). Again, not saying this is a BAD game, but its about an 8/10 for me.
Tex117
AG

This. This is my point.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
spieg12 said:

Bregxit said:

You can play the whole game without fast traveling. When on a planet, get in your ship and press the take off button. Once in space, pull up the map and select a system to travel to instead of picking a landing spot on a planet. After the grav jump, pull up the map and select the planet you want to travel to (if it's not the default planet for grav jumping). Then pull up map and select the landing zone. For most people this gets old after the 672nd time, hence the fast traveling.

I understand it gets old, I'm just saying that you could structure the quests where they only require a jump to a single system at the very least, and eliminate a lot of the menu fatigue.
AgDev01
AG
Are you still using a basic ship? Im able to jump multiple systems at once.
Breggy Popup
AG
I think I may have identified an issue. Exploration and quests are two different things.

Yes a lot of the time I go be-bopping between systems knocking out quests. But I also have spent hours just exploring one system. Scanning resources, traits, flora and fauna. And checking out structures...just last night I found a badass pirate hideout that had a secret room with 100k worth of contraband stashed in a master locked box.

The game is whatever you will make of it. I rarely fast travel except in New Atlantis. I board my ship and fart around in there. Take off, land, do research and build mods, bang my wife, etc. i haven't even gotten to outpost building yet.

I will say the procedural stuff is repetitive and I hope they add more in that regard. Different traits and stuff.
jr15aggie
AG
Agreed with this take. The game isn't going to force you to stop and smell the roses 100% of the time. But you certainly can (and should) when you want to.

Even the act of boarding your ship can be as complex or simple as you like. You can "fast travel" right to the cockpit and take off, or you can go through the hatch, walk around, put stuff in storage, sleep with your wife (just for the extra XP of course!), etc. I think it's awesome being able to fully explore the interiors of your ships and NPC ships. It's rare when the game forces you to do this, but I do it all the time because it's awesome.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
AgDev01 said:

Are you still using a basic ship? Im able to jump multiple systems at once.

Ah, no my post just wasn't clear. I'm saying that instead of sending you from New Atlantis at the beginning of a quest, to Mars in the Sol System, To Pluto, back to Mars, then to a third system, then finally back to New Atlantis to wrap up the quest, have the quests designed where everything in a single mission is at least taking place in one system. I can't remember which quest that was, but the example above did take place for the main storyline early in the game.

I think the game is incredible, but that specific part does make it feel like you are just checking through boxes to complete stuff at times.
jr15aggie
AG
I get what you are saying and that makes sense too.

I think I said something similar already, but I feel like they did miss out on this part a bit when creating missions. I feel like they should have used the missions, at times, to force us down a specific path on a specific planet. They could have used these scenarios to given us some really beautiful hand crafted areas... some really epic scripted events.

The open world concept is awesome, but I also don't see anything wrong with, at times, forcing the player down a linear path. As an example, I thought the scripted opening of the game was awesome... one minute you are a miner and next thing you know a Pirate ship comes down from orbit and enemies stream out of the ship and open fire. They needed more of this IMO.
DallasTeleAg

Bregxit said:

I think that's fair. I would really enjoy the ability to accelerate to a speed that allows you to actually explore space and use some form of radar to locate spacestations and such.

However, I understand why they made the game the way they did. It would be cool to spend more time in your ship exploring. The ship is basically just a home base and a a way to get into some space fights. You don't actually do any exploring in the ship.

Granted, I think they've also created a a great canvas to continue adding more over the next 5-10 years. The things it does have, I am really enjoying. Also, the quests seem to be very good, which gives me plenty of game to play.
jr15aggie
AG
Will definitely be interesting to see how they expand the game. Is it purely story driven content or do they really expand the game mechanics and give us more to do in space?

The way people talk, it's almost like some wanted a game like Elite Dangerous for all space stuff with Fallout/Skrim for all planetary stuff. Would be awesome but not practical.

I'll also say that, like Starfield, Elite has several elements that many would consider boring as hell. It would have been next to impossible to add much more without making the game feel directionless.
AgDev01
AG
Based off of Fallout 4 im going to assume that they add both types of content. Im guessing the announced DLC will be a faction quest sized one on the va'ruun ie: Far Harbor and then we'll get stuff like the Workshop and Automatron DLCs for Outposts and such.
MGS
At least with Starfield, they won't run out of space on the game map for new DLC.
Forum Troll
AG
Got into some ship building today. Main problem I've run into is all the different parts from different manufacturers are hard to mix. Can't save a build in progress unless it can fly and I can't ship parts around the galaxy? Built an outpost with shipyard but it is limited unless I get major upgrades to the skills.

Currently just running with the Shieldbreaker at level 28.
wangus12
AG
I heard its level 60 to unlock all parts
maverick2076
I'm at level 28, and I haven't touched ship building (except adding 2 modules for 1 quest) or outpost building yet.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.