Starfield from Bethesda

69,367 Views | 842 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by jr15aggie
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's a great take and very accurate. I remember getting to the part of the game where it gives you a side task to start an outpost somewhere. In my brain I could only picture the Ryan Reynolds meme "But Why".

They definitely tried to make 'Fallout in Space' and it just didn't work all that well. I think they spent way too much time trying make their traditional story elements and dialogue trees work in a large space game... what they should have done was create a completely NEW game.

Starfield, at first, has a little bit of that sense of awe and wonder of the vastness of space. But that wears off way too fast and eventually your only reason to travel is to check the box of the current active quest. As you said, very little risk and very little reward to explore and so the game becomes very linear.
jr15aggie
AG
A quick comparison is a game like Elite: Dangerous. That game is way more repetitive than Starfield... there are no direct NPC interactions, no love interest for you to marry.... but people like me keep on jumping into the cockpit to do it over and over again because they made a kick ass space game!

You can die 1,000 different ways... you are all alone... and it's awesome!
jr15aggie
AG
Looks like good stuff here for Series X. And very good stuff if you have a 120 Hz VRR TV/Monitor!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.