Starfield from Bethesda

69,353 Views | 842 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by jr15aggie
spieg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wangus12 said:

I heard its level 60 to unlock all parts

It depends on what skills you take. If you beeline rank 4 of piloting and whatever the ship building skill is called, you can unlock all parts at a relatively low level.
Breggy Popup
AG
spieg12 said:

wangus12 said:

It depends on what skills you take. If you beeline rank 4 of piloting and whatever the ship building skill is called, you can unlock all parts at a relatively low level.

You unlock all classes of parts. There are parts that don't show up for purchase until level 60.
spieg12
AG
Bregxit said:

spieg12 said:

wangus12 said:

You unlock all classes of parts. There are parts that don't show up for purchase until level 60.

Ooooh gotcha. Good to know.
spieg12
AG
I'm doing the quest in Londinion right now. The weapon they give you before going into the city is unbelievable at how fast it mows down terrormorphs. And I'm doing this at level 52 so I am getting some pretty strong variants of terrormorph.
Breggy Popup
AG
spieg12 said:

I'm doing the quest in Londinion right now. The weapon they give you before going into the city is unbelievable at how fast it mows down terrormorphs. And I'm doing this at level 52 so I am getting some pretty strong variants of terrormorph.

Just wait until the end of that one. Notice it is mowing down terrormorph thralls, not terrormorphs.
spieg12
AG
Okay, the end one was crazy. 600 bullets expended but it still went down way faster than it would have with any of the equipment I had before. I really enjoyed that.
Breggy Popup
AG
spieg12 said:

Okay, the end one was crazy. 600 bullets expended but it still went down way faster than it would have with any of the equipment I had before. I really enjoyed that.

Only 600? The roll on your weapon must have been really nice! I think I burned 3000 rounds of ammo on the last one. Or maybe I am a bad shot.
spieg12
AG
Skip shot, lacerate, and exterminator. I don't know of the rolls are static on it or not but if they aren't, that's basically the best possible roll you could get for fighting terrormorphs. Also has high powered mod. Does 20 damage per bullet.
Breggy Popup
AG
spieg12 said:

Skip shot, lacerate, and exterminator. I don't know of the rolls are static on it or not but if they aren't, that's basically the best possible roll you could get for fighting terrormorphs. Also has high powered mod. Does 20 damage per bullet.

Yeah...mine is

12 dmg
Exterminator
Long Barrel
Laser Sight
Tac Grip
Tac Mag

I got a crap roll.
spieg12
AG
WOW, I got an unbelievably good roll then. Mine also had a silencer, recon laser and tactical mag. I don't think I've even been blessed by RNG this much in any game ever lol.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Still having quite a bit of fun and enjoying the game but i will say that, unlike other bethesda games, this game doesnt really grab me quite like they did. I usually get on, knock out a quest or two, explore a planet, and then after about 30 minutes, Im just ready to be done. It's not like Zedla or Skyrim where it's like "Ok just 1 more area and then Im going to be done....and then I look up and its 2 hours later."

I cant quite pinpoint why. Maybe its a little bit of MenuField / FastTravelField. Maybe its the immersion. Maybe its because of the boring dialogue that doesnt seem to have any impact on your character, or the lack of consequences of your decisions.

Maybe its the extremely poor enemy AI that makes combat get old fast.
jr15aggie
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

Still having quite a bit of fun and enjoying the game but i will say that, unlike other bethesda games, this game doesnt really grab me quite like they did.

I sorta know what you mean. I think, for me, some of the magic wore off once I started discovering copy & pasted moon bases at multiple locations. In particular, bases that showed up in their pre-launch videos were easy to spot once I discovered them in-game at multiple locations.

Still having a blast with the game, but once I do most of the story things I want to do I'm wondering what carrot they might dangle to keep me going. I'd like to get into ship building, but I've already acquired ships that are more than adequate via campaigns.

No complaints for what has already been 75+ hours of entertainment, but I think I might be moving on to other games a bit sooner than expected. It's almost October and I've been itching to play Resident Evil Village since it came out.
DallasTeleAg
75 hours of gameplay is still a lot for a single player game. I haven't spent this much time with a game since Elden Ring, so I have no complaints.

I'm sure much more will be added, and many mods will also add a lot. It's still my favorite game I've played this year. TotK just never hooked me like BotW did. I've just started BG3, so we'll see, but it's not really a style that will overtake other game types that I generally like more.
BadMoonRisin
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

75 hours of gameplay is still a lot for a single player game. I haven't spent this much time with a game since Elden Ring, so I have no complaints.

I'm sure much more will be added, and many mods will also add a lot. It's still my favorite game I've played this year. TotK just never hooked me like BotW did. I've just started BG3, so we'll see, but it's not really a style that will overtake other game types that I generally like more.
Same here. I played TotK and havent been able to really fall into it like I did BoTW. I played Starfield for about 25 hours so far, but I did pick up BG3 a few days ago and dipped my toe into it. I thought I'd be playing Starfield constantly until end of the year, but guess not. I'll still hop back and forth between it and BG3.
zip04
AG
Feeling the same way, but I'll be bouncing between this and CyberPunk 2077 now with the new DLC. I'll also be playing BG3, but that will primarily be my steamdeck game.
Tex117
AG
Like I said in the last page...this one just didn't hook me like other Bethesda games did either. For a variety of reasons.

Oh well, off to the new and improved cyberpunk!

wangus12
AG
Interesting take from a guy on Reddit.

Quote:

I want to preface this post by saying I have no inside knowledge whatsoever, and that this is speculation. I'm also not intending for this post to be a judgment on whether the changes were good or bad.

I didn't know exactly where to start, but I think it needs to be with Helium-3. There was a very important change to fuel in Starfield that split the version of the game that released, from the alternate universe Starfield it started as. Todd Howard has stated that in earlier iterations of the game, fuel was consumed when you jumped to a system. This was changed and we no longer spend fuel, but fuel still exists in the game as a vestigial system. Technically your overall fuel capacity determines how far you can jump from your current system, but because you don't spend fuel, 1 jump can just be 2 if needed, rendering it pointless. They may as well not have fuel in the game at all, but it used to matter and even though it doesn't now, it's still in the game. Remember the vestigial aspect of this because that will be important.

So let's envision how the game would have played if we consumed fuel with jumps. The cities and vendors all exist relatively clumped together on the left side of the Star Map. Jumping around these systems would be relatively easy as the player could simply purchase more Helium-3 from a vendor. However, things change completely as we look to the expanse to our right on the Star Map. A player would be able to jump maybe a few times to the right before needing to refuel and there are no civilizations passed Neon. So how else can we get Helium-3 aside from vendors? Outposts.

Outposts in Starfield have been described as pointless. But they're not pointless - they're vestigial. In the original Starfield, players would have HAD to create outposts in order to venture further into the Star Map because they would need to mine Helium. This means that players would also need resources to build these outposts, which would mean spending a lot of time on one planet, killing animals for resources, looting structure POIs, mining, and praising the God Emperor when they came across a proc gen Settler Vendor. In this version of Starfield these POIs become much more important, and players become much more attached to specific planets as they slowly push further to more distant systems, building their outposts along the way. Now we can just fly all around picking and choosing planets and coming and going as we please so none of them really matter. But they used to.

What is another system that could be described as pointless? You probably wouldn't disagree if I said Environmental Hazards. Nobody understands them and they don't do much of anything. I would say, based on the previous vestigial systems that still exist in the game, these are also vestigial elements of a game that significantly shifted at some point in development. In this previous version of the game, where we were forced down to planets to build outposts for fuel, I believe Hazards played a larger role in making Starfield the survival game I believe it originally was. We can only speculate on what this looked like, but it's not hard to imagine a Starfield in which players who walk out onto a planet that is 500C without sufficient heat protection, simply die. Getting an infection may have been a matter of life and death. Players would struggle against the wildlife, pirates, bounty hunters, and the environment itself. Having different suits and protections would be important and potentially would have been roadblocks for players to solve to be able to continue their journey forward.

This Starfield would have been slow. Traveling to the furthest reaches of the known systems would have been a challenge. The game was much more survival-oriented, maybe a slog at times, planets, POIs, and outposts would have mattered a lot, and reaching new systems would have given a feeling of accomplishment because of the challenges you overcame to get there. It also could have been tedious, boring, or frustrating. I have no idea. But I do think Starfield was a very different game and when these changes were made it significantly altered the overall experience, and that they were deep enough into development when it happened, that they were unable to fully adapt the game to its new form. The "half-baked" systems had a purpose. Planets feel repetitive and pointless because we're playing in a way that wasn't originally intended - its like we're all playing on "Creative Mode"
What do you think? Any other vestigial systems that I didn't catch here?
LPHA
AG
I'm just having fun being an overpowered space wizard. An energy sword would bring a fresh, untested mechanic.
AgDev01
AG
He is probably not far off. Fuel, Health Status are certainly things that don't see as fleshed out or important as they could be. Same with all of the food laying around.

I could easily see these things in a survival mode update in the future like with got with Fallout 4.
DallasTeleAg
AgDev01 said:

He is probably not far off. Fuel, Health Status are certainly things that don't see as fleshed out or important as they could be. Same with all of the food laying around.

I could easily see these things in a survival mode update in the future like with got with Fallout 4.

A survival mode would definitely be cool, if it required you to find the right equipment to continue exploring the unsettled systems. Maybe lock higher tier materials out there, to get the best weapon upgrades.

As I said earlier, I think this is a great complete game. Very different from Cyberpunk, when it first released. However, it als is a fantastic canvas to paint on for years to come.

At the end of the day, someone not liking it as much as Skyrim is fine. I too prefer fantasy games, always. But I have definitely enjoyed my time with the game, so far.

I would love a survival mechanic. I would also rather run into a single spacer or crimson fleet ship, and know I am in for a fight, instead of running into 4. It would make the stakes seem much higher.
Breggy Popup
AG
After 85 hours I decided to finish the main quest. I really enjoyed it. Very well done.

Going to build out a big outpost network before moving through the second round.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I think the fuel system described above would completely change the game for the better for the main complaint I had. Now whether the game overall would still be as fun, or feel like you are having to do chores constantly is another thing.
spieg12
AG
Finally took the plunge and finished the game at level 54 and 110 hours. Now I can't decide if I want to do new game + or start fresh again. What I thought was really cool was after stepping into the unity, the New Atlantis I went to is different than the original one. Such a cool touch based on the multiverse theory.
DallasTeleAg
For me, I enjoy the RP aspect of NG+.
jr15aggie
AG
Question for end game / NG+... I'm at the point of the story where "the masks have come off" and it definitely feels like the story is starting to wind down.

I've only completed 1 faction quest line (Freestar Rangers) as well as numerous side quests. But is it a good time to start actively doing other factions or will I have that opportunity even after I finish the main story?

I'm assuming NG+ will have you lose all your ships, weapons, etc. so I'm not in a hurry to do that.
Tex117
AG
wangus12 said:

Interesting take from a guy on Reddit.

Quote:

I want to preface this post by saying I have no inside knowledge whatsoever, and that this is speculation. I'm also not intending for this post to be a judgment on whether the changes were good or bad.

I didn't know exactly where to start, but I think it needs to be with Helium-3. There was a very important change to fuel in Starfield that split the version of the game that released, from the alternate universe Starfield it started as. Todd Howard has stated that in earlier iterations of the game, fuel was consumed when you jumped to a system. This was changed and we no longer spend fuel, but fuel still exists in the game as a vestigial system. Technically your overall fuel capacity determines how far you can jump from your current system, but because you don't spend fuel, 1 jump can just be 2 if needed, rendering it pointless. They may as well not have fuel in the game at all, but it used to matter and even though it doesn't now, it's still in the game. Remember the vestigial aspect of this because that will be important.

So let's envision how the game would have played if we consumed fuel with jumps. The cities and vendors all exist relatively clumped together on the left side of the Star Map. Jumping around these systems would be relatively easy as the player could simply purchase more Helium-3 from a vendor. However, things change completely as we look to the expanse to our right on the Star Map. A player would be able to jump maybe a few times to the right before needing to refuel and there are no civilizations passed Neon. So how else can we get Helium-3 aside from vendors? Outposts.

Outposts in Starfield have been described as pointless. But they're not pointless - they're vestigial. In the original Starfield, players would have HAD to create outposts in order to venture further into the Star Map because they would need to mine Helium. This means that players would also need resources to build these outposts, which would mean spending a lot of time on one planet, killing animals for resources, looting structure POIs, mining, and praising the God Emperor when they came across a proc gen Settler Vendor. In this version of Starfield these POIs become much more important, and players become much more attached to specific planets as they slowly push further to more distant systems, building their outposts along the way. Now we can just fly all around picking and choosing planets and coming and going as we please so none of them really matter. But they used to.

What is another system that could be described as pointless? You probably wouldn't disagree if I said Environmental Hazards. Nobody understands them and they don't do much of anything. I would say, based on the previous vestigial systems that still exist in the game, these are also vestigial elements of a game that significantly shifted at some point in development. In this previous version of the game, where we were forced down to planets to build outposts for fuel, I believe Hazards played a larger role in making Starfield the survival game I believe it originally was. We can only speculate on what this looked like, but it's not hard to imagine a Starfield in which players who walk out onto a planet that is 500C without sufficient heat protection, simply die. Getting an infection may have been a matter of life and death. Players would struggle against the wildlife, pirates, bounty hunters, and the environment itself. Having different suits and protections would be important and potentially would have been roadblocks for players to solve to be able to continue their journey forward.

This Starfield would have been slow. Traveling to the furthest reaches of the known systems would have been a challenge. The game was much more survival-oriented, maybe a slog at times, planets, POIs, and outposts would have mattered a lot, and reaching new systems would have given a feeling of accomplishment because of the challenges you overcame to get there. It also could have been tedious, boring, or frustrating. I have no idea. But I do think Starfield was a very different game and when these changes were made it significantly altered the overall experience, and that they were deep enough into development when it happened, that they were unable to fully adapt the game to its new form. The "half-baked" systems had a purpose. Planets feel repetitive and pointless because we're playing in a way that wasn't originally intended - its like we're all playing on "Creative Mode"
What do you think? Any other vestigial systems that I didn't catch here?

Maybe Maybe not. But I can say that I share the sentiment that something changed in development.

It just...feels that way.
zip04
AG
jr15aggie said:

Question for end game / NG+... I'm at the point of the story where "the masks have come off" and it definitely feels like the story is starting to wind down.

I've only completed 1 faction quest line (Freestar Rangers) as well as numerous side quests. But is it a good time to start actively doing other factions or will I have that opportunity even after I finish the main story?

I'm assuming NG+ will have you lose all your ships, weapons, etc. so I'm not in a hurry to do that.
You will lose your credits, weapons, ships, etc. You keep your attributes and you are given a couple of nice things to start your next playthrough. Once in NG+, you can do all of the side quests and faction missions again. I did not do the Freestar Rangers quest line in my first play through, but I did it in my current NG+.
jr15aggie
AG
OK thanks!

I'm also assuming that I can keep my old save files... if I proceed with NG+ and regret it, I can always go back to a previous save.

I'm far enough along in the story where I think I can see how/what they are doing with NG+. Probably pretty neat.
AgDev01
AG
for me NG+ is a great alternative to starting a new char or second play though and is a good RP mechanic. Its basically a groundhog day scenario. One NG+ you can be a murder hobo, the next a quintessential paragon run and it all fits into game lore wise.
jr15aggie
AG
Heard that there is a book store in Akila City where you can buy several books... but if you buy Oliver Twist and some book about Egypt, it will put landing spots on Earth for you to explore. Haven't done it myself yet, but looking forward to it.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
AgDev01 said:

for me NG+ is a great alternative to starting a new char or second play though and is a good RP mechanic. Its basically a groundhog day scenario. One NG+ you can be a murder hobo, the next a quintessential paragon run and it all fits into game lore wise.

My current plan is to do one factions quest line then complete the main story over and over, and see how much more powerful I get each time.
Kampfers
AG
jr15aggie said:

Heard that there is a book store in Akila City where you can buy several books... but if you buy Oliver Twist and some book about Egypt, it will put landing spots on Earth for you to explore. Haven't done it myself yet, but looking forward to it.
Don't know about a bookstore, but I have come across a number of those books in the wild. There are at least 5, maybe more. I definitely collect the snow globes.

If you have completed the main questline, you can also get the location of the mars rover by interacting with the rover's display in the museum of spaceflight in Cape Canaveral.
Kampfers
AG
I have to admit I'm not the biggest fan of the NG+ system.

A lot of the fun imo is approaching the game in different ways - but I'd rather play as a different person entirely than pretend my character with (at least some) morals just decided to throw them all away for "fun" in a new universe.

I also assumed that the perk system would be much more dynamic because of the screen hints during character creation so I only added two perks because I thought I might gain or lose more later.

But the way that the skill system is designed, (completely) new playthroughs are strongly discouraged. There are way too many skills and getting to the "premium" skills takes far too much effort for me to throw away my run/character and start completely over.

So I'm basically attached at the hip to a single character unlike in previous Bethesda games. Losing your ships and outposts is a huge bummer too. I wish you could at least "save" ship designs so that you could rebuild them in future lives once you had the credits.

It also doesn't appear that universe variations really affect anything other than Constellation/main questline specific content. which takes a lot of fun out of the whole "dynamic universes" concept and doesn't really incentivize me to complete any of the faction content outside of my original and/or final universe.

I've largely enjoyed the game (albeit not the bugs that made it impossible for me to board the Legacy and ruined the only faction questline I actually cared about completing in my original universe) but I think the NG+ content loop really fizzles. Just a bunch of fetch quests for the stones and then the repeated "collect the magic space dust" game in the temples (a truly awful mechanic after the 10th time you've done it, much less the 100th - much prefer the instantaneous word walls in Skyrim).
jr15aggie
AG
Yeah man, the Temples were head scratchers for a game that was in development for so long. I've even had glitches where it's not registering me flying through the space dust... I end up flying around the room for 5-10 minutes before it finally kicks in.

For a game with such an amazing physics engine, you think they could have come up with some really great gravity puzzles or something to make it feel worthwhile. I can't imagine making a game, understanding that you are going to have the player do a specific task a dozen times, and then make that task the same boring crap every time.
zip04
AG
I completely agree with this. After the 2nd or 3rd, I was over the temples. I have also had some not register and end up taking 5-10 minutes, which is boring and frustrating.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.