Starfield from Bethesda

69,368 Views | 842 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by jr15aggie
spieg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well I found out caves can be unexpected. I was on Porrima II outside of Paradiso and saw a cave. Got to the bottom and there was a level 30 Terrormorph waiting. Surprised the heck out of me. Had to use many many shots from the Mantis shotgun to kill it.
Artorias
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Artorias said:

Finished Starfield main storyline. Did some of the side/faction stuff. Overall I think the Metacritic score of 87 is not too far off. I would probably give it a few more points for the impressive tech stuff they do and sheer scale of the game. But doesn't quite have the same "it" factor Skyrim had. Enjoyed it but not quite as great as I was hoping.

For me, I will always prefer a fantasy game, so Elder Scrolls will always win out.

However, I think Starfield is fantastic, and has surpassed the fallout games, for me.
Yeah, that pretty much aligns with my preferences. The post-apocalyptic theme doesn't do it for me. I have tried to get into the Fallout games but bounced off. Love the Elder Scrolls games, and enjoyed Starfield.
jabberwalkie09
AG
zip04 said:

Going Vanguard is the easiest way to max out piloting and it isn't even close.

Another alternative is to do mission boards but yes, you can clear the requirements pretty easily with that mission line
DallasTeleAg
So, for those who have completed the main story:

Are yall going through the unity and being reborn? I'm debating to-do it or not. Leaning towards just continuing on with all my stuff, because I'd rather not lose everything, though I've only really done one other large quest line, aside from the main quest
Claude!
DallasTeleAg said:

So, for those who have completed the main story:

Are yall going through the unity and being reborn? I'm debating to-do it or not. Leaning towards just continuing on with all my stuff, because I'd rather not lose everything, though I've only really done one other large quest line, aside from the main quest
I went through. I completed some primary questlines, but largely stuck with the main story. I lost a bunch of money and weapons being reborn, but I don't super miss any of it. The ship I got to start with in NG+ is pretty swank.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Yes, I went through The Unity. I had a couple of quests glitch/bug out on me and I couldn't finish them so I chose to go through. The dialogue options you get on NG+ can speed things up if you choose to do the main quest line again.

Additional thing I found out after reading some things online was that you apparently don't get all the Starborn powers until after a few play throughs.
zip04
AG
The simulator counts towards it. You can just run the simulator multiple times to get what you need done.
Breggy Popup
AG
Man, High Price To Pay is harsh. I've been romancing up Andreja and they up and kill her off. I was legit a bit sad lol.
zip04
AG
There is a different decision/outcome during that mission.
Claude!
Bregxit said:

Man, High Price To Pay is harsh. I've been romancing up Andreja and they up and kill her off. I was legit a bit sad lol.
Yep, that's not what happened to me.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Played this game all weekend. Just finished the Mantis mission. It's sweet.

I still have more resources than I know what to do with, but not the right ones to build an entire outpost.
Average Joe
AG
This game is a completionist nightmare.
jr15aggie
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Played this game all weekend. Just finished the Mantis mission. It's sweet.

I still have more resources than I know what to do with, but not the right ones to build an entire outpost.

The game definitely teases you with what you could be or what you could do. But I'm nowhere near the point where I'm investing my skill points into the science branch.

So, yes, got resources overflowing everywhere but I don't have the skills to do much with them.

But woe to the man who tries to step up to my ballistic weapons and piloting skills!
Breggy Popup
AG
zip04 said:

There is a different decision/outcome during that mission.

Indeed. I was just surprised the decision I took actually went there. I'll probably reload and take the other path though.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Not that any other video game is any different, but after watching and reading the expanse, it always bugs me when a space ship is laid out like an air plane.
jr15aggie
AG
Bregxit said:

Yep. I chose the different option because my lady Sarah was on The Eye. Ended up getting Sam killed. I was shocked too! Looks like either option will have you lose somebody.

It's somewhat OK because Sam kept trying to get me to flirt... which is odd considering he had a wife before... but his skills, in particular the Pilot skills, were very valuable when you assigned him to your ship. I haven't hardly used Andreja at all.... I was "THIS" close to reloading the game, but I thought better of it. It's OK for a game to hit hard sometimes and reloading would have been the cheap way out.

RIP Sam.

cr0wbar
AG
Are there any PC players on here?

I recently installed a new SSD to play - I have a RTX 2080 / AMD 7 2800x
I've lowered all my settings to LOW
The game looks like roblox and it's still awful.

I guess my 2019 PC is too ****ty for this.
spieg12
AG
I'm playing on a PC with a 9th gen i7 (can't remember the exact model) and a 1660Ti. With all settings on low I get anywhere from 25-45 fps in open areas. Some stuff doesn't look the greatest but that doesn't bother me. Make sure you have at least FSR 2 on or install a mod to add DLSS support. A 2080 should be fine. Without FSR 2 enabled I don't think my game would be playable.
Forum Troll
AG
Anyone contemplating this game on Series S, it runs just fine but it is locked to 30 fps. Have played a few hours so far and the only hiccup is minor fps loss in New Atlantis around the trees. Obviously I'd prefer higher, but the 30 fps isn't a problem imo.
Wildmen06
AG
i cant get it to run without crashing half the time I open the inventory...open the star map or try to do manual save...thats assuming the game loads to begin with.

sad part is it will run just fine the rest of the time.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I am but I built this PC last year. I have a 6950xt and a 5800x3d.
bluefire579
AG
Runs fine for me on high settings on an AMD 7 2700X and RX 5700 XT. Only issues I'm having is that performance will tank if I leave it paused too long or sometimes if I tab out, but backing out to the main menu and reloading always solves it for me.
Claude!
My 2019 era machine with a 2070 doesn't have any major issues running things, though I'm not the most discerning player. Framerate stays relatively steady, and not a ton of crashes (typically when fast traveling to New Atlantis).
I Like Mike
AG
What are the odds this runs on Steam Deck?
bluefire579
AG
spieg12
AG
Professional Hitter said:

What are the odds this runs on Steam Deck?

Approximately 0%
jabberwalkie09
AG
Yeah, I was like "you don't say?"
NoHo Hank
AG
So not sure if anyone else has this issue but... I really don't like the gunfighting in this game. There are just a lot of mechanics in it that aren't fun. Maybe I'm playing wrong but here are a few.

1) I've got a double barrelled shotgun and the reload time is about 4 seconds. If you do anything, it resets the reload action, which isn't automatic so then the next time you go to shoot, whoops gotta reload. It's not fluid or fast paced, it's slow. Throw in the fact that blasting someone from six feet away with a double barreled shotgun doesn't stagger them and it's kinda... eh.
2) the game doesn't reward you for playing slow. Enter a room slowly, take cover, fine, but the second you're detected you're gonna be under a constant barrage of fire. Doesn't matter if you run to the other side of the map hopping over, behind, and around all sorts of obstacles. The gunfire just follows you.
3) the rooms are big and full of **** and the enemies don't stand out. Now, that's prolly the idea but again, if they constantly track and shoot at you, it pushes you more toward a fast paced style, which just feels clunky.
4) Healing is over time and weapons reload slowly, which makes you think it should be slow paced, ammo isn't a huge issue except everyone is a bullet sponge so you can blow through 400 rounds really quickly. But then slow paced doesn't feel like the right approach. Also, gun accuracy is pretty bad even if you've lined up crosshairs, which makes sniping not feel very fun either.

I like the universe, am not too far into the story yet, game looks good enough, but combat doesn't even feel like FO4 levels. For reference, I'm doing the freestar ranger quest line toward the end at the mech facility which features 3 giant rooms thus far filled 15 or so enemies and it's just not fun. Anyone else feel the same way? Am I missing something?
jr15aggie
AG
I get the criticism, but for me, the gunplay is incredible given what the game is.

You might consider playing with multiple aid items more often... they can really turn a hide and shoot scenario into a wild frenzy. In particular, go buy lots of Blend from Neon. Slows time for about 10 seconds... oh boy... you start combining that with some jet packs, special powers and other aids that let you run faster... you can have yourself a good time if you start playing with the sandbox stuff the game gives you!
Claude!
Agree that the gunplay is not the greatest - Mass Effect: Andromeda, despite its flaws as a game, has much better combat. But combat has never really been Bethesda's strong suite; Fallout 4 is probably the best of it, but I wonder how much that game's combat was carried by VATS.
Artorias
AG
I didn't have any major complaints about the gun play, but I am not a young, twitch CoD gamer, so your mileage may vary. Seemed fine to me.
JJxvi
AG
Quote:

1) I've got a double barrelled shotgun and the reload time is about 4 seconds. If you do anything, it resets the reload action, which isn't automatic so then the next time you go to shoot, whoops gotta reload. It's not fluid or fast paced, it's slow. Throw in the fact that blasting someone from six feet away with a double barreled shotgun doesn't stagger them and it's kinda... eh.
2) the game doesn't reward you for playing slow. Enter a room slowly, take cover, fine, but the second you're detected you're gonna be under a constant barrage of fire. Doesn't matter if you run to the other side of the map hopping over, behind, and around all sorts of obstacles. The gunfire just follows you.
3) the rooms are big and full of **** and the enemies don't stand out. Now, that's prolly the idea but again, if they constantly track and shoot at you, it pushes you more toward a fast paced style, which just feels clunky.
4) Healing is over time and weapons reload slowly, which makes you think it should be slow paced, ammo isn't a huge issue except everyone is a bullet sponge so you can blow through 400 rounds really quickly. But then slow paced doesn't feel like the right approach. Also, gun accuracy is pretty bad even if you've lined up crosshairs, which makes sniping not feel very fun either.
But this is a Bethesda game....cant you just crouch and be invisible to all enemies?
MGS
NoHo Hank said:

So not sure if anyone else has this issue but... I really don't like the gunfighting in this game. There are just a lot of mechanics in it that aren't fun. Maybe I'm playing wrong but here are a few.

I like the universe, am not too far into the story yet, game looks good enough, but combat doesn't even feel like FO4 levels. For reference, I'm doing the freestar ranger quest line toward the end at the mech facility which features 3 giant rooms thus far filled 15 or so enemies and it's just not fun. Anyone else feel the same way? Am I missing something?
I feel the same way - it's the Fallout combat system, but they removed VATS.
zip04
AG
I heard on a PODCAST that ID Software assisted with the combat in this game, which seems accurate IMO.
fire09
AG
There are late game skills that will address several of your frustrations. The mod community is actively working on more realistic damage models which affect both ship and first person combat.

I miss the VATs system....but....there's a mod coming for that too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.