Starfield from Bethesda

69,358 Views | 842 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by jr15aggie
Head Ninja In Charge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I hate that it won't be available on PS, but the trailer looked incredible. Player models look...meh. But whatever, it's Bethesda and that was never their strength. Everything else though? Fire.
wangus12
AG
The worst part is that I'm on vacation that week in Alaska and won't be able to play until the 11th.
Claude!
zip04 said:

I'm having a difficult time not pre-ordering this game because I have high expectations for it, but I am going to try and hold off in case it turns out being to big of a project for them to pull off well out of the gate.
There are some games I don't mind pre-ordering. Like, I know for a fact that I'm going to buy Starfield. I know for a fact that I'm going to buy Civ 7 when it releases. I'm certain they'll be buggy at launch, but neither of those is going to turn into vaporware.
jr15aggie
AG
wangus12 said:

The guy that did that interview got to play for an hour.

One his playthrough, he said he boarded a ship to take out the crew. He said the gravity on the ship kept going in and out. Like the gravity drive was failing. He said he'd be walking along, lights would flicker and then the drive would fail and he'd be floating. Then the drive would kick back on and he'd drop back to the floor.

That sounds fracking awesome!

As a 40+ year old gamer I really don't get overly excited for many games anymore. I still enjoy playing as one of my main hobbies, but the 'been there done that' feeling is real.

This game, however, has a ton of stuff I've never seen before... at least not in a single package. Adding to it... I LOVE games and movies involving space. This game checks every single box of my inner child.

PS: "That guy" is Ryan McCaffrey and he's been covering Xbox on IGN for at least 15 years now. The interview conversation about 'we aren't getting any younger' really hit home. How many years do I have left and will I still be playing in 10 years?
zip04
AG
I didn't hold out very long.... zero willpower. I bit the bullet and pre-ordered.
fav13andac1)c
AG
It's pretty rare to see a 45 minute gameplay overview. I loved everything I saw.

And that watch looks sick.
jr15aggie
AG
DF with another good video. They were very positive about the game and gave some really great insight as to why 30 was a smart move and how even taking the resolution down probably wouldn't help them get to a stable 60 fps.

But they did mention something that I questioned.. why not have a 40 FPS mode offering for people with 120hz / VRR monitors/TVs. Plagues Tale Requiem did this and it was a nice boost over their std 30. Hopefully this is something they will consider patching in very soon.

Anyway, it was a good watch and only has me more hyped for the game.

jr15aggie
AG
zip04 said:

I didn't hold out very long.... zero willpower. I bit the bullet and pre-ordered.

Did you get the std. edition or the deluxe with 5 day early access?

Pretty smart move IMO. Have the game launch just after the labor day weekend, but offer a deluxe version (which is essentially pre-orders for DLC) and dangle the carrot "who wants to play this during the long holiday weekend!?!"

I gotta be honest, it's very tempting even though I have gamepass and the game is "free" for me. If I don't have any plans with the wife/kids that weekend it will be tough to sit idle... especially if glowing reviews have already started pouring in.
zip04
AG
I did the standard, but may upgrade as it gets closer depending on what I have going on. Diablo IV did the same thing and I stuck with the standard version because I had family in town and didn't have time to play over the weekend, otherwise I would have upgraded and played it early as well.
DallasTeleAg
I mean... early access special editions is a cheap money grab that bothers me.

But, hey... i'm a sucker and want to play sooner rather than later.
bluefire579
AG
Same. I'll admit I spent extra on D4 because all my friends were playing and on Hogwart's because it was a gift for my wife, and timing mattered. I think for this one, as excited as I am, I can wait a few extra days.
DallasTeleAg
I have to say... after sitting on it for a couple of days, I'm more bummed about the 30 fps than I originally thought. I really hope they give us some other option. It will be like every time I pull out Bloodborne and have that initial reaction and disappointment at the framerate.
HossAg
AG
It'd be a dealbreaker for me if I was on console. I've gotten so used to high frame rates that I have trouble seeing things on 30 fps. It's so jarring and distracting now.
DallasTeleAg
My concern is whether my PC can run it better.

Any techies with thoughts which would run it better: Xbox Series X or Laptop? I've been looking around for answers but can't find any.

CPU: 11th Gen i7-11800H
RAM: 32G
GPU: Nvidia RTX-3070, 8G VRAM (laptop, not desktop version)

If I were to connect my laptop to my TV, I would just run the game at 2K instead of 4K so I could push FPS. I'd much rather 60FPS at 2K than 30FPS at 4K.
canadiaggie
AG
I was bummed when I found out they weren't bringing it to PS, but I have an Xbox and a PC and most likely getting it for the PC for the mods.

I just need a real timesink game. I haven't had one since AC Valhalla
DallasTeleAg
I think you can buy it from Microsoft in a way that allows you to play on either, with cross platform progress.
MGS
If you have Gamepass Ultimate, you'll get the game on both XBox and PC.
canadiaggie
AG
Thanks for the heads up guys, looking into that
wangus12
AG
Saw something this morning about Sony going to the FTC over this game being an exclusive and something about the possible Microsoft/Activision deal. I don't have great service right now otherwise I'd find the story.

Either way, I find it rich that Sony of all people is complaining about exclusives.
canadiaggie
AG
wangus12 said:

Saw something this morning about Sony going to the FTC over this game being an exclusive and something about the possible Microsoft/Activision deal. I don't have great service right now otherwise I'd find the story.

Either way, I find it rich that Sony of all people is complaining about exclusives.
There's a fundamental difference between Sony buying Santa Monica a while ago and then organically developing God of War for its console, as opposed to buying Santa Monica while God of War was in the works and then shuttering the Xbox version. The latter appears to be what MSoft did with Starfield.

This case is primarily about the merger, not about the Bethesda acquisition, and Sony didn't bring it. Have to clear anti-trust on mergers like this first. Sony and the FTC will use the Starfield example as proof of what MSoft is likely to do once they get their hands on Activision.

Be fun to see what happens with Call of Duty if Msoft wins the case and is allowed to merge with Activision. I wonder if they'll try to develop a Call of Duty competitor, or if they end up coughing up for the license deal that MSoft offered.
jr15aggie
AG
The Sony fanboys must have really loved what they saw, because this game has definitely ignited old school console rivalries that I haven't seen since the XB1 and PS4's were announced (which was 10 years ago). I don't have twitter or any other social media, but I've seen Youtube videos showing some of the PS guys having mini meltdowns.

Not a reaction I expected, especially considering how Sony has, in recent years, blocked Xbox from getting any of the new Final Fantasy games. MS bought Bethesda, Starfield being exclusive shouldn't be shocking.
canadiaggie
AG
I think there is greater fear about TESIV being an Xbox exclusive than Starfield. But with PS's restrictive modding policies, I'd rather have Elder Scrolls on PC or Xbox anyway
DallasTeleAg
Meh... I just went and bought a Series X. Problem solved. Before Starfield, there was literally no Xbox exclusive worth the purchase, imo. People who get caught up in console wars are so ridiculous.

I also think the PS5 controller is so far and away better than Xbox, so not happy about using the Xbox controller to play Starfield.
zip04
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Meh... I just went and bought a Series X. Problem solved. Before Starfield, there was literally no Xbox exclusive worth the purchase, imo. People who get caught up in console wars are so ridiculous.

I also think the PS5 controller is so far and away better than Xbox, so not happy about using the Xbox controller to play Starfield.

You can buy an after market controller for Xbox that has the ps5 layout, but good ones (like scuff) will cost a pretty penny.
DallasTeleAg
It's not the layout. It's just the feel of the controller. The PS5 Dual sense just feels so solid and all the buttons feel great. My two Xbox controllers just feel so cheap.
jr15aggie
AG
I think it's more about what you are familiar with. Played a PS5 once and I didn't like the feel of the controller either.... the whole thing just felt wrong.

Both companies gotta fix the stick drift problem though.

But I like your solution, just buy an Xbox. I owned both during the 350/PS3 days. I wouldn't mind owning a PS5 now, but I don't have the time and my wife made it clear I had to choose.
bluefire579
AG
Tangentially related, but yesterday's FTC hearing revealed at least one other Bethesda title that shifted to Xbox only: https://kotaku.com/xbox-activision-indiana-jones-bethesda-exclusive-court-1850566856
Nanomachines son
Why would you ever buy a Bethesda game on a console anyway with their immense mod support?

https://www.pcgamesn.com/starfield/modding

Bethesda is designing the game to be a modder's paradise, which means it may be even better than Skyrim for mods. The game in a few years will be massively upgraded from this alone. I cannot imagine why anyone would care about what console this is going to be on.
Kampfers
AG
I cannot imagine why anyone would care about what platform someone else plans to play a single player game on.
DallasTeleAg
I agree with you on the mod side of things, and would always prefer to play a game like this on PC. But if it turns out to be as big as it potentially could be, it's possible Xbox may expand its support for modding past what they already do. Obviously, there will still be some mods that will only ever work on PC.

As I've gotten older, I've just become so lazy with PC stuff. Console is just so easy to play, and I like just sitting back in my lazy boy at the end of the day, and playing a game on my TV with my controller. I know I could technically do that with PC, but again... just lazy and have stopped trying to keep one up to date.
bluefire579
AG
Kampfers said:

I cannot imagine why anyone would care about what platform someone else plans to play a single player game on.
This. A lot of people just like being able to play on their couch on their TV, or want an experience they know is going to be consistent instead of the variables that come into PC gaming, or maybe they just like collecting achievements/trophies on their console of choice. Either way, doesn't affect anyone other than the person experiencing it.
DallasTeleAg
Kind of related to the discussion, but I had the urge to play Mount and Blade 2, today. Opened steam and then remembered I had around 12-15 mods for the game, which are now all out of date. I started thinking about all the hours it would take to verify what the latest versions of the game has patched, thereby determining which mods I had to go update and fenagle... and I just decided not to even try today.

Again... i am getting old and lazy.
jr15aggie
AG
Hah!

This is one reason why I stick with consoels, but alas, I still have old man issues. I go to play an old favorite... after a few minutes I realize that I have completely forgotten half the controls... *deep sighs*.

Half the time this will cause me to turn off the xbox and fall asleep watching an old movie.

Getting old indeed!
zip04
AG
I enjoy console, but I love playing on PC. I have a great setup (built my PC) with 2 monitors, etc. I don't think I could go back to a single monitor again. I like having Discord, mapgenie (if needed, like in Tarkov), etc. readily viewable. I also greatly prefer using mouse and k/b.

With that being said, I do like having the nintendo switch (doc's to one of my monitors) so I can grab it on the go if I want, or if I just want to lay on the couch and play a game.

Like others have said, to each their own.
jr15aggie
AG
I've thought about venturing into the PC world at some point... after 20+ years of working, my disposable income is more readily available - despite my kids best efforts to spend it faster than I can make it.

One of the main draws is having an all in one retro game machine, but I'm also very interested in playing more optimized versions of some "recent" games. Arkham Knight comes to mind. I love that game, but they never updated the Xbox 1 / PS4 version... game still runs at 900p and 30 frames. Very messy by today's standards.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.