Starfield from Bethesda

69,360 Views | 842 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by jr15aggie
dcaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wangus12 said:

dcaggie04 said:

So I just got hailed by a ship telling me they have been trying to contact me about my ship's extend warranty.

My favorite so far has been a lone Scottish trucker singing a sea shanty

Was that ship called The Valentine?
Breggy Popup
AG
dcaggie04 said:

wangus12 said:

dcaggie04 said:

So I just got hailed by a ship telling me they have been trying to contact me about my ship's extend warranty.

My favorite so far has been a lone Scottish trucker singing a sea shanty

Was that ship called The Valentine?

That's the guy. He has crossed my path twice.
n_touch
dcaggie04 said:

Is this for real? I have not played, but its all one player correct? No interacting with others?
zip04
AG
Correct, all single player. They wrote it into the game. It's pretty funny.
spieg12
AG
n_touch said:

dcaggie04 said:

Is this for real? I have not played, but its all one player correct? No interacting with others?

I tried to blow them up after talking to them for a little while but they grav jumped away before I could finish them off.
Breggy Popup
AG
spieg12 said:

n_touch said:

dcaggie04 said:

I tried to blow them up after talking to them for a little while but they grav jumped away before I could finish them off.

Should have taken out their grav drive first.
PeekingDuck
AG
Here's the delayed Eurogamer review. I can see why they withheld the review copy from them initially.

https://www.eurogamer.net/starfield-review
Average Joe
AG
PeekingDuck said:

Here's the delayed Eurogamer review. I can see why they withheld the review copy from them initially.

Holy words, Batman. I read the first couple of paragraphs before I realized it was a novel, and then skimmed the rest. Did they say ANYTHING positive? It seemed like nothing but complaining about small things.
Teslag
AG
That felt more like a critique of Bethesda than a review. And all of these negative reviews seem to be the same. And that is that they didn't get Skyrim reskinned in space.
PeekingDuck
AG
I have to think half of it was vindictive for being left out. Which they shouldn't have been, but they also shouldn't take it out on the game during the review.
jr15aggie
AG
Yeah, apparently they went out of their way to do a live stream with the purpose of taking subtle jabs during the Starfield Direct. MS and Bethesda took notice & told them to get bent.

Starfield was the first game in a LONG time that I followed closely in the months leading up to launch... I didn't realize that Sony vs. MS console war hate was still a big thing, but boy was I wrong!

Happy to be playing the game now and I'll happily go back to not being tricked to watching a game video that turns out to be nothing but a fanboy rant.
PeekingDuck
AG
Of note, they rated Diablo 4 a 4 out of 5, which obviously hasn't aged well. I have not played Starfield, but I have to believe it is better than Diablo 4.
Claude!
PeekingDuck said:

Bethesda isn't shy about blacklisting sites or journalists. I think Kotaku has been blacklisted for close to a decade due to reporting on some unannounced projects via leaks. I expect Eurogamer is in a similar spot.
Breggy Popup
AG
I rebuilt the Kepler-R ship and it is a beast now. It is sooooooooo big lol. And I just obliterate other ships now.
Thunder18
AG
Bregxit said:

I rebuilt the Kepler-R ship and it is a beast now. It is sooooooooo big lol. And I just obliterate other ships now.

Post your build?
Breggy Popup
AG
Thunder18 said:

Bregxit said:

Post your build?

Like a picture of it?
DallasTeleAg
Regarding end game things:

apparently it may not be possible to get all powers in one playthrough. Vladimir stopped giving me temple locations at 22 powers. I've decided to go ahead through the unity and play the rest of the game as Starborn. Now, I need to keep resetting the ending until I get the best roll of my new outfit that I can. O do wish the Starborn ship was a little more powerful and had more cargo space.

I actually love the idea of starting as Starborn and finding new weapons and such.
Breggy Popup
AG
My ship...

BadMoonRisin
AG
Teslag said:

That felt more like a critique of Bethesda than a review. And all of these negative reviews seem to be the same. And that is that they didn't get Skyrim reskinned in space.
I agree. Some of the criticism they made were valid, but to give the game 3/5 stars is a little hypercritical for me.

It's still a fun game and a great world to get lost in. It does remind me of FO4 where there were, from an RPG standpoint, very few mistakes you could make by doing the wrong thing through manipulation, persuasion, stealth, etc that FO3 and New Vegas, and even Skyrim had. In the latter games, you almost had to restart from previous save because the dialogue you chose would have had devastating effects on your playthrough. Or, if you were a purist, grin and bear it.

Apparently they didnt listen to the feedback on that. I even feel like Outer Worlds has better RPG elements to it in that regard.

But its a very expansive and ambitious game. As vast as it is beautiful.

I have to feel like this game will continue to grow over the years via mods and support from Bethesda. It almost feels like they chose to release the unfinished game with very few flaws, instead of the severely flawed game that tried to be perfect on launch, to avoid a Cyberpunk/No Mans Sky launch disaster.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Blue Ballz
Breggy Popup
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

Blue Ballz
Inspired by the Space City Astros unis. I need to get a better shot in better light. Those were taken in Londinium.
Vince Blake
I just started playing this week. So far, if there is any other Bethesda game I would compare this to it is Morrowind in that from the beginning I am feeling a little lost and not sure what to do next. Personally I think that is a great thing and the slow burn discoveries are part of the fun for me.

My only complaint, that I'm sure has been addressed on here, is that I'm playing the game pass version on the Series X and it looks like absolute ass at times. Am I missing a setting somewhere? I remember feeling the same about Fallout 4 on the XBox One when it first came out and eventually it got better. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

I just started playing this week. So far, if there is any other Bethesda game I would compare this to it is Morrowind in that from the beginning I am feeling a little lost and not sure what to do next. Personally I think that is a great thing and the slow burn discoveries are part of the fun for me.
This has been me since I started. I'll start a mission and then get totally sidetracked by something else. End up going in a completely different direction or to a different planet. Built a base and will end up spending a ton of time there building and organizing stuff. Haven't done any faction stuff yet and only a few Constellation missions
DallasTeleAg
In no way do I think the game looks like ass. I think people have unrealistic graphical expectations for a game like this. There is only so much processing power in an Xbox, and there is more going on in a game than simply the textures. A lot of power goes into lighting and particles of various kinds that really look great in this game.

I basically b-lined it through the main quest line, and only got majorly sidetracked by the SysDef questline, which I enjoyed. I went ahead on to NG+ to then do all the other quest lines and more random encounters. This time, I'm going spend time just exploring the various galaxies and going to any point of interest I see. That would be most similar to coming across a fort or cave in the Elder Scrolls, and there is a ton like that.
Claude!
What I think falls a little flat is the free-form planetary exploration. The cities are great, and the pre-set places are generally okay, but the randomly generated points of interest aren't really compelling, and there's not really a whole lot to do or see between them. I know it's an unfair comparison, but I haven't come across any of the random fun or interesting non-marked environments like I did in Skyrim or Fallout. Makes that piece of the game, which has heretofore been a hallmark of Bethesda games, not incredibly engaging, and makes surveying a planet a chore more than anything. Especially when I need to survey aquatic fauna but can't find the coast despite landing on a tiny island.
jr15aggie
AG
I know what you mean... but man the game still has it's moments.

Decided to investigate an abandoned outpost that was occupied by the Ecliptic. Spent a good 20 minutes clearing the base, during which I noticed a random ship dropped out of orbit and landed 500 meters away. I decided to investigate after completing the base.

More Ecliptic... I stealth picked off 3 with a sniper. As soon as the captain took notice they said "ah hell no" and he took off when I was 20 feet from his hatch... I watched his ship disappear into the atmosphere. That alone was pretty cool... but what was even cooler... I fast traveled back to my ship and took off. That exact same Ecliptic ship was still in orbit around the planet so I took out all their systems, boarded the ship, and killed every single one of them!

There is just way to much WOW content here to get upset about so many mundane details.
Breggy Popup
AG
Regarding finding a specific area on a planet or moon...

When you are choosing a landing site, click around and look for the type of biome you need for what you are looking for.
Tex117
AG
Claude! said:

What I think falls a little flat is the free-form planetary exploration. The cities are great, and the pre-set places are generally okay, but the randomly generated points of interest aren't really compelling, and there's not really a whole lot to do or see between them. I know it's an unfair comparison, but I haven't come across any of the random fun or interesting non-marked environments like I did in Skyrim or Fallout. Makes that piece of the game, which has heretofore been a hallmark of Bethesda games, not incredibly engaging, and makes surveying a planet a chore more than anything. Especially when I need to survey aquatic fauna but can't find the coast despite landing on a tiny island.
For a game that was billed as a space exploration game...there was little of it.

They should have just gone for like 20 (or so), hand designed planets where you could fly and land between them.

The quests are in fact pretty good. Better than usual Bethesda fare.

I cant help but think they just missed the mark with this one a little bit.
Artorias
AG
Tex117 said:

Claude! said:

For a game that was billed as a space exploration game...there was little of it.

They should have just gone for like 20 (or so), hand designed planets where you could fly and land between them.

Fewer planets with more content is the number one criticism I have been seeing from people about the game. The quests only send you to a dozen or so different planets, of the 1000+ in the game. There is little to no reason to visit 95% of the planets in the game.
Teslag
AG
That actually works in favor of immersion for me. Space is mostly nothing and dry barren rocks. The fact I can travel to these and realize that most are unimportant adds to the allure.
Claude!
Teslag said:

That actually works in favor of immersion for me. Space is mostly nothing and dry barren rocks. The fact I can travel to these and realize that most are unimportant adds to the allure.
Don't disagree, but it also plays away from Bethesda's strengths in environmental story-telling.
spieg12
AG
Teslag said:

I think I agree with this. It's a little unrealistic to expect every planet to have a bunch of things going on.
DallasTeleAg
Artorias said:

Tex117 said:

Claude! said:

Fewer planets with more content is the number one criticism I have been seeing from people about the game. The quests only send you to a dozen or so different planets, of the 1000+ in the game. There is little to no reason to visit 95% of the planets in the game.

I completely disagree.

I think the problem is the Bethesda fans who created their own expectation of what this game is.

I get that many of us are fans of the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games, but this is not those games. This was never billed as "Skyrim in Space" or "Fallout in Space". This was billed as a completely different kind of game, with room to grow, be modded, and be played for years to come. I think they hit the mark very well.

Static locations to stumble upon? I think there are just as many of these as any other of their games, if not more. However, they aren't all within 1 square mile of each other. It's a freaking space game where you are supposed to explore the entire galaxy. And yes, there will be many barren planets out there, but that's more realistic.

I'm level 40, have around 60 hours invested in this game, on to NG+, and still am looking forward to exploring and starting other questlines to see what's out there. I'd say the game did it's job very well, for me.

I guess I just don't understand the criticism of there being too many empty planets. So? Don't go to them. If they had only created 20 densely populated planets, it would feel like this game was too small for one billed as a space exploration game.
DallasTeleAg
I will say, I would criticize the mobility when on planet. There should definitely be a way to call your ship to you, or some type of landing craft/vehicle to drive around the planet.
spieg12
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

I will say, I would criticize the mobility when on planet. There should definitely be a way to call your ship to you, or some type of landing craft/vehicle to drive around the planet.

You can fast travel to your ship or any other point you have discovered on a planet by pulling up the scanner and pressing the action button on the icon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.