Starfield from Bethesda

79,791 Views | 847 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by flakrat
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know they said you can fast travel back to the ship in the Direct. I'm not sure you can summon
jr15aggie
AG
wangus12 said:

I know they said you can fast travel back to the ship in the Direct. I'm not sure you can summon

Ah... yeah that makes more sense, thanks for the info.

I've been playing Elite Dangerous for a long while now and when you land on a planet / moon and explore out with your Rover you can remotely summon your ship. It's a really cool process to watch you ship coming from a distance... land... and then you drive up to the cargo hatch so that you can re-enter the ship and take off back into space.

It's interesting that in some ways I'm going to wish Starfield were more sim like.... but in other ways Starfield blows away the limitations of a game like Elite. Targeting subsystems to disable enemy ships and then being able to board those ships, fighting the crew, etc. That's way more than I expected this game to deliver with regards to space flight/combat.
wangus12
AG
jr15aggie
AG
Man, that's one of the better live action trailers I've seen. Great job marketing and really hits on why I, and I assume many others, are excited for this game.

Outside of the story, factions, quests... I really just want to blast off and see what's out there. This is like the Skyrim "I wonder what's in that cave" hook X 1000.

I'm not going to have enough time for this, am I!?!
tk for tu juan
If we get a SpaceX orbital flight test around the release of Starfield, space nirvana
jr15aggie
AG
zip04
AG
jr15aggie said:

Between this and Baldur's Gate 3.... my free time for the foreseeable future is spoken for. I still need to finish Tears of the Kingdom and Remnant 2 as well, but those are on the back burner for a while.
dcaggie04
AG
zip04 said:

jr15aggie said:

Between this and Baldur's Gate 3.... my free time for the foreseeable future is spoken for. I still need to finish Tears of the Kingdom and Remnant 2 as well, but those are on the back burner for a while.

Add in Cyberpunk's expansion and I'm pretty much booked for the fall.
jr15aggie
AG
dcaggie04 said:

zip04 said:

jr15aggie said:

I was "this" close to starting a new Cyberpunk campaign this summer in anticipation of the upcoming expansion (I missed a lot during my first play though, the game is pretty huge).

But I quickly realized that wasn't close to practical with Starfield releasing. It will probably be a good year or so before I'm able to re-engage into that game. But that's OK, always good to have game on the backlog.
YouBet
AG
zip04 said:

jr15aggie said:

With current replay of Skyrim and then BG3, and then this I'm easily booked out until 2026. Big games like this take me about a year to get through.
jr15aggie
AG
I'm ready to go, early access with my $100 premium edition downloaded. It's been a long while since I shelled out $100 for a game.

Funny thing was it reminded me that Neo Geo games cost $200 or more back in the 90s. Crazy!
Average Joe
AG
By the way, there is a $35 premium upgrade bundle you can buy if you have Game Pass that gives you the premium bonuses with Game Pass. That includes early access. Not sure if that was mentioned, but just came across it.
jr15aggie
AG
Most of the early review leaks have been gushing over the graphics. Apparently it's quite the looker.
wangus12
AG
jr15aggie said:

dcaggie04 said:

zip04 said:

jr15aggie said:

I was "this" close to starting a new Cyberpunk campaign this summer in anticipation of the upcoming expansion (I missed a lot during my first play though, the game is pretty huge).

But I quickly realized that wasn't close to practical with Starfield releasing. It will probably be a good year or so before I'm able to re-engage into that game. But that's OK, always good to have game on the backlog.
I still haven't finished Cyberpunk. Had issues with it at launch and put it down while they worked on it and just haven't gone back to it.
Nanomachines son
dcaggie04 said:

zip04 said:

jr15aggie said:

Armored Core VI comes out soon too, same company that made Elden Ring. Looks like a mecha version of Elden Ring except with blazing fast movement.
Nanomachines son
jr15aggie said:

Most of the early review leaks have been gushing over the graphics. Apparently it's quite the looker.

Yeah they apparently took a year to polish it, which is something they did not do for Fallout or Skyrim.
jr15aggie
AG
Based on what little footage they've shown, one of the best graphical effects they do is with the space helmets. The lighting and illumination of the character's faces inside the helmets just looks really well done.

In particular, when they are in a dark environment, that interior helmet lighting trick really pops!
javajaws
AG
LOL:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ridiculous-starfield-gaming-chair-is-equipped-with-a-screen-cockpit-style-setup/1100-6517129/

jr15aggie
AG
javajaws said:

LOL:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ridiculous-starfield-gaming-chair-is-equipped-with-a-screen-cockpit-style-setup/1100-6517129/

For all you Christmas Vacation fans:

"Dad, that thing's huge... it wouldn't even fit in our back yard."

"Its not going in our back yard Russ... it's going in our living room!"
V8Aggie
AG
Talk about a masturbation station!
C@LAg
V8Aggie said:

Talk about a masturbation station!
all plastic, so it can be hosed off.
n_touch
javajaws said:

LOL:

Tempurpedic being a sponsor. Ain't no one sleeping in that thing lol
flakrat
AG
n_touch said:

javajaws said:

LOL:

Tempurpedic being a sponsor. Ain't no one sleeping in that thing lol
jr15aggie
AG
Lots of impressions coming out of Gamescon from interviews and the game preview at the event.

In a nut shell... lots of gushing over this game. 1 more week.
wangus12
AG
I read about some gameplay today, most of it was already known or suspected, but in regards to planetary flight You cannot fly between planets in the same system. Say you want to fly from Venus to Mars, its the same as flying between the star system. Open map, plot the course and then grav jump.

jr15aggie
AG
wangus12 said:

I read about some gameplay today, most of it was already known or suspected, but in regards to planetary flight You cannot fly between planets in the same system. Say you want to fly from Venus to Mars, its the same as flying between the star system. Open map, plot the course and then grav jump.

My guess on how it works (no spoiler tags because I have not read/seen anything about this other than trailers). When navigating the stars you will first select your system and then select which planet you want to jump to. In a game like Elite Dangerous you always jump to the star and from there you cruise to your planet or starport. But that's just extra steps and doesn't make sense in a non sim game like Starfield.

So whether it's in the same system or a different one, your grav jumps will always be planet-to-planet. Once you are "in orbit" around your plant you can fly around (if there is anything worth seeing/doing) or you can select a landing zone on the planet. I'm thinking this same screen will also allow you to choose a landing spot on any of the surrounding moons.

In other words, for simplification and to avoid over cluttering system map screens, you never grav jump to a moon... you choose your planet and from there you can get to anything that is in orbit around that planet (moons, space stations, etc.).
wangus12
AG
I'm also curious about that. I hope you can move across the ship freely, including vertically. Don't make me use a cutscene/load screen to climb a ladder in the ship up to the next module.
Claude!
wangus12 said:

I'm also curious about that. I hope you can move across the ship freely, including vertically. Don't make me use a cutscene/load screen to climb a ladder in the ship up to the next module.
Ladders in Starfield will be used sparingly. It is a Bethesda game, after all.
jr15aggie
AG
wangus12 said:

Sorry, I completely edited my post above. I wasn't very clear and wanted to focus on my thoughts on planetary travel.

I'll respond to this quote so it makes more sense to anybody that reads it:

What I had said was I hope that it's a seamless process once you are planet side... stepping off your ship onto the planet should be one continuous process. Same for when the S* hits the fan and it's time to take off and GTFO!!!

The fact that your ship will (obviously) have an airlock, they should be able to use that slight pause (pressurizing/de-pressurizing) to take care of any loading that needs to happen. But from videos I've seen, the planet should be mostly loaded when you land because you can see the planet and what's going on from the cockpit.

FYI, it was also mentioned from an interview at Gamescon You have to manually put on your helmet when you leave your ship. I personally love this. Things like this and other things like targeting a ships sub-systems during space combat are great touches. Obviously we don't want a full on sim, but adding a few very sim-like features, for me, really grounds the player and brings them more into the world. It sounds awesome!
javajaws
AG
jr15aggie said:

wangus12 said:

My guess on how it works (no spoiler tags because I have not read/seen anything about this other than trailers). When navigating the stars you will first select your system and then select which planet you want to jump to. In a game like Elite Dangerous you always jump to the star and from there you cruise to your planet or starport. But that's just extra steps and doesn't make sense in a non sim game like Starfield.

So whether it's in the same system or a different one, your grav jumps will always be planet-to-planet. Once you are "in orbit" around your plant you can fly around (if there is anything worth seeing/doing) or you can select a landing zone on the planet. I'm thinking this same screen will also allow you to choose a landing spot on any of the surrounding moons.

In other words, for simplification and to avoid over cluttering system map screens, you never grav jump to a moon... you choose your planet and from there you can get to anything that is in orbit around that planet (moons, space stations, etc.).

In games where you have to travel between planets (using alternate drive mechanisms) it always just seems to slow down the action/gameplay so this sounds good to me.

My only concern might be is do they have things like asteroid belts, etc that you can go to that aren't in orbit around a planet? And can you fast travel to them?
flakrat
AG
If you Tweet/X, you can enter for a chance to win a limited edition AMD GPU by following the official Starfield X account and retweeting the below tweet

https://x.com/starfieldgame/status/1694378974548242470?s=46&t=-Qqh6EFuMqNr0diV7xzPZw
bluefire579
AG
Nanomachines son said:

dcaggie04 said:

zip04 said:

jr15aggie said:

Armored Core VI comes out soon too, same company that made Elden Ring. Looks like a mecha version of Elden Ring except with blazing fast movement.
I'd be weary about approaching Armored Core as "Elden Ring with mechs". They're very different games
Nanomachines son
bluefire579 said:

Nanomachines son said:

dcaggie04 said:

zip04 said:

jr15aggie said:

I'd be weary about approaching Armored Core as "Elden Ring with mechs". They're very different games

I know that, but from what I have read they did incorporate some aspects. It's pretty clear the atmosphere is similar and the boss fights will be difficult.

Gameplay is massively different obviously.
jr15aggie
AG
Spoiler tags because I'm going to give a summary of what reviewers are saying... no specific game details, just a thumbs up or thumbs down of Starfield.

People are loving this game, big time. Hearing it from multiple sources. I'm watching (youtube) Colt Eastwood's latest podcast in the background while I work. His co-host, Gaz, cannot contain his excitement. He's not saying anything directly, but he's giddy and it's written all over his face.

He also made a slip when talking about how it was Sony's fault in the first place that MS purchased Bethesda. In a nutshell he said it was Sony's constant grabbing at 3rd party timed/full exclusive deals that spurred MS on and this was going to bite... he did a dead stop here and they both started laughing. He is trying so hard not to violate his NDA.

But it's easy to fill in the blanks where he left off... this is going to bite Sony in the ass because Starfield is flipping awesome!
Lathspell
AG
jr15aggie said:

Spoiler tags because I'm going to give a summary of what reviewers are saying... no specific game details, just a thumbs up or thumbs down of Starfield.

People are loving this game, big time. Hearing it from multiple sources. I'm watching (youtube) Colt Eastwood's latest podcast in the background while I work. His co-host, Gaz, cannot contain his excitement. He's not saying anything directly, but he's giddy and it's written all over his face.

He also made a slip when talking about how it was Sony's fault in the first place that MS purchased Bethesda. In a nutshell he said it was Sony's constant grabbing at 3rd party timed/full exclusive deals that spurred MS on and this was going to bite... he did a dead stop here and they both started laughing. He is trying so hard not to violate his NDA.

But it's easy to fill in the blanks where he left off... this is going to bite Sony in the ass because Starfield is flipping awesome!

Appreciate how you prefaced that. I don't want any gameplay spoilers, or info at all past what we got in the long presentation a couple months back. I do enjoy hearing general reactions, though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.