Starfield from Bethesda

69,354 Views | 842 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by jr15aggie
Tomdoss92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
zip04 said:

YouBet said:

This will be my first full price purchase since Witcher III. Looks awesome.

And as long as the Bethesda bugs don't break the game I've always kind of enjoyed them. Adds some character to the game.
As someone who loved Witcher III, Elden Ring is definitely worth paying full price for.

Looking forward to seeing more from this game.
I loved Witcher III and, because I have poor impulse control, I bought Elden Ring but have been hesitant to start.

I've got the can't decide which game to dive into next so I default to short Madden and MLB the Show sessions which require no commitment.

Elden Ring
Horizon Forbidden West
The Quarry
Guardians of the Galaxy

are all bought and either unplayed or barely started.

Spent a lot of time playing Dying Light 2. Witcher 3 and Empyrion - Galactic Survival seem to have the most hours on the past year. Hate gamers block.
bluefire579
AG
https://www.gamesradar.com/todd-howard-explains-how-the-elder-scrolls-6-will-build-on-starfields-engine/
YouBet
AG
Tomdoss92 said:

zip04 said:

YouBet said:

And as long as the Bethesda bugs don't break the game I've always kind of enjoyed them. Adds some character to the game.
As someone who loved Witcher III, Elden Ring is definitely worth paying full price for.

I loved Witcher III and, because I have poor impulse control, I bought Elden Ring but have been hesitant to start.

I've got the can't decide which game to dive into next so I default to short Madden and MLB the Show sessions which require no commitment.

Elden Ring
Horizon Forbidden West
The Quarry
Guardians of the Galaxy

Spent a lot of time playing Dying Light 2. Witcher 3 and Empyrion - Galactic Survival seem to have the most hours on the past year. Hate gamers block.
Is DL2 good? Played the hell out of DY1.

I just bought an old game called S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I've never heard about. Got main game and 2 DLC's for $5 or so.

People love it but it's older. 2007.
BadMoonRisin
AG
I'll keep an eye out but is it just me or do all of these really vast and ambitious projects always seem to flop?

Spore
Sim City 5
Cyberpunk 2077
No Man's Sky
Star Citizen
Fallout 76
Starwars Battlefront 2

Or do they just over-promise and by the time it comes out its underdelivered? This is why pre-ordering should not be a thing people do.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Tomdoss92 said:

zip04 said:

YouBet said:

Elden Ring
Horizon Forbidden West
The Quarry
Guardians of the Galaxy

Guardians is a blast and a linear story, not a whole lot of open world exploring like the others. So you can beat it and feel good about yourself after 20-30 hours. At least two of the others are major time commitments to get a similar completion satisfaction.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Dying Light 2 was pretty fun, overall.

I have played S.T.A.L.K.E.R and some of Call of Pripyat, but didnt finish.

Metro 2033 / Last Light is also great if you are into his genre. Some of the same folks that did S.T.A.L.K.E.R series worked on that one.
DallasTeleAg
bluefire579
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

I'll keep an eye out but is it just me or do all of these really vast and ambitious projects always seem to flop?

Spore
Sim City 5
Cyberpunk 2077
No Man's Sky
Star Citizen
Fallout 76
Starwars Battlefront 2

Or do they just over-promise and by the time it comes out its underdelivered? This is why pre-ordering should not be a thing people do.
I worked on a game many years back that was hugely hyped after showing footage at game conferences. Because of that hype, despite us saying it wasn't ready and needed to be delayed, the publisher pushed harder, and the game was released to universal panning. From the inside, you could see it coming from a mile away, but from the outside, people were blown away by what a mess it was.

There's always a similar pressure factor pushing on projects like the ones you mention. Sim City and Battlefront (and the new Battlefield) were pressured by EA to include features that were universally hated by players and to release within a certain window. Cyberpunk and No Man's Sky started drinking their own koolaid and believed they could deliver on things they could not in the time frame. Fallout 76 was trying to make a multiplayer game on an engine that was built for single player, by devs who had mostly only worked on single player (Kotaku recently had an article that went into the difficulties: https://kotaku.com/bethesda-zenimax-fallout-76-crunch-development-1849033233). Star Citizen hasn't even come out yet, so who knows how that one will actually turn out.

At the same time, Bethesda has done a good job releasing games like this because it does fit into what they know how to do, and they have hit many more times than they've missed. There will be issues, most likely, and people will complain, but I think this is a case where they deserve the benefit of the doubt because it's something they have proven they know how to do. Could it be disastrous? Absolutely. It's probably worth waiting to hear reactions before pulling the trigger instead of preordering. But I do think the risk on this one is *probably* less than most super hyped games.
DallasTeleAg
I mean... people will find things to ***** about, but Elder Scrolls 3, 4, and 5 as well as Fallout 3 and 4 were all games I loved.

As bluefire mentioned, their biggest failure was in doing a game that was so different from their strength. I see Stafield as back in their wheel house.

Bethesda does something right and different from anyone else, because I love playing their games and have had many issues with clones. The only outlier there would be Fallout: New Vegas. That was a fantastic game.
wangus12
AG
Highlights from the IGN interview

• 200k lines of dialogue
  • Character background will have effects on dialogue.
  • Some quests involve docking and boarding ships. Smuggling has also been confirmed.
  • Constellation is NASA + Indiana Jones + League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
  • Constellation is looking for Old Earth Artifacts. They've also now found mysterious artifacts whose origin isn't known.
  • 30-40 hours for Main Quests. Doesn't include side quests?
  • Loves their modding community. Thinks it'll be a dream for them.
  • Quests take a lot of time to make for Starfield.
  • Can't fly ship straight down to the planet.
  • To add to previous point, Starfield Doesn't Let You Fly Seamlessly from Space to Planet because Howard says it's "Really Just Not that Important".
  • Handcrafted worlds and procedurally generated ones will be distinct and separate, with it being made clear to the player which is which.
  • To add to previous point, Starfield Includes More Handcrafted Content Than Any Bethesda Game, Alongside Its Procedural Galaxy.
  • Seemed to confirm that everyone will have the same beginning to the game via the 'step out moments' question, which was a topic of some debate.
  • Starfield Has 4 Main Cities, and New Atlantis Is the Biggest City Bethesda's Ever Made
  • Starfield's Space Combat Is 'Unique', and Inspired By FTL and MechWarrior
  • Elder Scrolls 6 is in Pre-Production.
  • Fallout 5 is after that.
  • Mentioned that BGS might work on other projects.
YouBet
AG
I noticed on their site they also have a vampire game coming out in association with Arkane Studios. Arkane games are generally really good.
MGS
wangus12 said:

• My grandkids are going to love it.
    wangus12
    AG
    MGS said:

wangus12 said:

• My grandkids are going to love it.
    Doesn't bother me. I could never get into Fallout.
    bluefire579
    AG
    That's from the publishing side of Bethesda, so it's a bit separate from ES/Fallout/Starfield. Todd Howard is part of their development arm, so he's not really involved with studios like Arcane or id or any of the others. They operate fairly independently (actually, from what I've talked to with friends who worked there, the France and Austin branches of Arcane operate even independently of each other).

Not to say it won't be good, it's just not really in the same bucket.
    YouBet
    AG
    bluefire579 said:

That's from the publishing side of Bethesda, so it's a bit separate from ES/Fallout/Starfield. Todd Howard is part of their development arm, so he's not really involved with studios like Arcane or id or any of the others. They operate fairly independently (actually, from what I've talked to with friends who worked there, the France and Austin branches of Arcane operate even independently of each other).

Yeah, I've never stopped down to try and understand the various gaming studios and all of the partnerships and relationships. Confusing as hell. It's like trying to understand global soccer contracts where players are allowed to play for multiple different teams and move around practically at will.
    bluefire579
    AG
    YouBet said:

bluefire579 said:

Yeah, I've never stopped down to try and understand the various gaming studios and all of the partnerships and relationships. Confusing as hell. It's like trying to understand global soccer contracts where players are allowed to play for multiple different teams and move around practically at will.
    Yeah, it can get messy, especially when you have companies that maintain their own publishing arms (for example, Blizzard continued managing their own publishing even after being acquired by Activision). You also have the added complication of Zenimax (Bethesda's parent company) being acquired by Microsoft. From what I understand, Microsoft is kind of live and let live with their acquisitions, so I'm not sure if Bethesda Publishing is continuing operating or if Microsoft is taking that over completely.

Edit: Considering I just got an email from Bethesda advertising both Starfield and Redfall, it seems their publishing arm is still alive and well under Microsoft's watch

It doesn't help here, but this graphic is updated as of May to show which studios fall under which parent company:

AgsMyDude
    AG
    eh Spore was pretty decent
    BadMoonRisin
    Cromagnum
    AG
    BadMoonRisin said:

Spore (EA)
    Sim City 5 (EA)
    Cyberpunk 2077
    No Man's Sky
    Star Citizen
    Fallout 76
    Starwars Battlefront 2 (EA]

Well almost half of those are EA to start with. Modern Bethesda is becoming more like EA too.
    jr15aggie
    AG
    BadMoonRisin said:

I agree, but this game is more in line with Bethesda/Todd Howard's bread and butter than some never been done before concept. The space-ship flying is about the only thing that is new for them. The fact that planet landings are done via cut scenes was good news IMO... they are staying in their lane and not overreaching. In general this feels like a typical western RPG with a space wrapper on it.

I'm also pleased they are only targeting modern PC hardware and Series consoles. I didn't see anything that was over the top graphically speaking... need to get that performance (framerate) up and this should be a huge success.
    MGS
    Launch date announced - Sept 6

wangus12
    AG
    I have high hopes, but reading through reddit people have some insane expectations with what they think they're going to get
    DallasTeleAg
    Damn... a long wait.

My one issue is that of framerate. I'm hope they give us the same 3 options we got on Hogwarts Legacy. The recent interview I saw with Todd Howard seemed to talk about only two options: 1440p and 60fps or 4k and 30fps. He talked about how he always prefers the higher graphics experience on these kinds of games and deals with the 30fps. However, I can't stand going back to 30fps these days.

Hogwarts Legacy's Balanced mode seemed extremely smooth to me, and I could barely tell the difference in textures and such between that and the 4k mode.
    wangus12
    AG
    They're about to drop a 30 minute presentation at the Xbox Showcase
    wangus12
    AG
    This game looks epic
    dcaggie04
    AG
    Ho Lee Chit. That was amazing!
    wangus12
    AG
    Man that blew me away. That thing is massive and in depth. Hope it's as good as it looks
    wangus12
    AG

Showcase

Average Joe
    AG
    This looks absolutely massive!
    satexas
    AG
    Trailers do look killer.

No multiplayer I assume?
    Gonna have to flush the toilet, but that's one expensive poo.
    jr15aggie
    AG
    This game looks insane! How will I have time to play anything else?

Some of the best video game music I've ever heard as well. Feels perfect for a space saga.
    Claude!
    Debating whether I should build a new machine for this. My current PC is just under the recommended specs I've seen...
    HossAg
    AG
    My hype levels for this were pretty low but wow. I'm excited for this now.
    rangerdanger
    AG
    Todd is setting his phaser to kill and pointing it directly at Tears of the Kingdom.
    tk for tu juan
    No sign-in needed for this video

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.