Starfield from Bethesda

69,366 Views | 842 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by jr15aggie
spieg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If anyone is looking for decent amount of XP and credits in a short time, and has taken some persuasion ranks, doing the Ryujin quest chain is pretty good. I'm not even done with it yet but they can be completed quickly.

Edit to add: Be mindful of which companion you bring with you. I imagine some of them might have issues with what you have to do on some of the quests.
jr15aggie
AG
Never take companions for anything involving Neon. Just go solo.

Was hilarious the other day. Main quest where you have to steal an artifact causing you to have to kill like 3 dozen guards on a ship... despite all of that, my companion got mad when I broke into the armory and stole some legendary weapons.

"Those aren't yours!" Lol... dude, we just murdered everyone on this ship, now help me carry this stuff will ya!
spieg12
AG
I always bring companions. Just have to know who you can and can't bring. Andreja didn't care at all about any of the Ryujin missions.
AgDev01
AG
Artorias said:

Yeah, that pretty much aligns with my preferences. The post-apocalyptic theme doesn't do it for me. I have tried to get into the Fallout games but bounced off. Love the Elder Scrolls games, and enjoyed Starfield.

My first game was Morrowind and I have hundreds of hours into every one since. While I love the ES games i am so looking forward to another Fallout. Hell i think im the only person who liked FO76 on release.

Funny thing is i typically dont care for the post-apocalyptic setting and usually prefer fantasy settings. it is just something about the Fallout world that i love. My ideal Bethesda game would be a Fallout Game from before the bombs dropping or one where civilization has finally been rebuilt.
AgDev01
AG
cr0wbar said:

Are there any PC players on here?

I recently installed a new SSD to play - I have a RTX 2080 / AMD 7 2800x
I've lowered all my settings to LOW
The game looks like roblox and it's still awful.

I guess my 2019 PC is too ****ty for this.

Its the processor. 2080 should be ok but youll want some extra oomph with the CPU. If you live near a microcenter a 5600x3d is really cheap or a 5800x3d would be great as well. while Starfield doesn't make use of the 3d cache it seems it will still be useful for other games and give you a drop in option to last another couple of years.
Artorias
AG
AgDev01 said:

Artorias said:

Yeah, that pretty much aligns with my preferences. The post-apocalyptic theme doesn't do it for me. I have tried to get into the Fallout games but bounced off. Love the Elder Scrolls games, and enjoyed Starfield.

My first game was Morrowind and I have hundreds of hours into every one since. While I love the ES games i am so looking forward to another Fallout. Hell i think im the only person who liked FO76 on release.

Funny thing is i typically dont care for the post-apocalyptic setting and usually prefer fantasy settings. it is just something about the Fallout world that i love. My ideal Bethesda game would be a Fallout Game from before the bombs dropping or one where civilization has finally been rebuilt.
76 was a train wreck on launch, both stability/bugs wise and game design wise. I went back and played recently, and it has gotten A LOT better. When the game first launched I played for about 30 hours, and 95% of my time felt like scavenging for food/drink/meds to keep from dying. It was not fun. They have toned that stuff WAY down now where it isn't so punishing.

Playing Starfield actually strangely made we want to go back and play Skyrim... again. And I did. And it is still fun. I played a full magic build this time - previously played the obligatory stealth archer/thief, and a melee/restoration "paladin" build. When I think about wanting to play through Starfield again, I am not sure it will feel/play any different. Doesn't seem like there is as much opportunity for variety in builds/gameplay
Forum Troll
AG
Finished the Mantis quest this morning. Ship upgrade is major.
Artorias
AG
Forum Troll said:

Finished the Mantis quest this morning. Ship upgrade is major.
If you want a serious ship upgrade, later in the game make sure you do the quest offered by Walter Stroud to help his team design a new ship.
Tex117
AG
While this is a very solid game...there is something very dated about its structure.
maverick2076
Or finish the Freestar Rangers quest line.
bluefire579
AG
AgDev01 said:

cr0wbar said:

Are there any PC players on here?

I recently installed a new SSD to play - I have a RTX 2080 / AMD 7 2800x
I've lowered all my settings to LOW
The game looks like roblox and it's still awful.

I guess my 2019 PC is too ****ty for this.

Its the processor. 2080 should be ok but youll want some extra oomph with the CPU. If you live near a microcenter a 5600x3d is really cheap or a 5800x3d would be great as well. while Starfield doesn't make use of the 3d cache it seems it will still be useful for other games and give you a drop in option to last another couple of years.
My processor is similar and I have no issues.

I think it's more likely the card: https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/11/23867991/starfield-pc-performance-amd-nvidia-intel-digital-foundry-analysis
C@LAg
many reports new nvidia drivers provide a notable boost
Breggy Popup
AG
Wrong thread
Wildmen06
AG
I finally got this working….. of all things windows updates had not been going thru for who knows how long. Once I finally got the update thru by pretty much re-installing windows the game has run perfect.
V8Aggie
AG
Ryzen 9 and GTX2070 super. 8 gigs ram.

Ultra settings @ 1080p
spieg12
AG
I found out there is basically no change in performance going from low to medium settings with a 1660Ti so I have been playing in medium for several hours. Game looks better and I still get mostly 30-45 fps with FSR2 enabled with occasional dips to 25 fps.
BadMoonRisin
AG
This kind of sums up what I think about the game:

Good game, fun to play, just not GOTY material. Id give it a 8/10.

Summation of the entire video: "Forget Game Of The Year. This game has been painfully mid on every level".
zip04
AG
I think Baldur's Gate 3 should win GOTY. This is a really good game though.
wangus12
AG
Sounds like they are planning on fixing the map issue

Claude!
Yeah, the lack of city maps was just a huge head scratcher.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Claude! said:

Yeah, the lack of city maps was just a huge head scratcher.
And the fact that you can only land on a planet and WALK AROUND. How do you make a game like this without some sort of planetary roamer so you dont just sprint and jump your way across the planet? And I havent really found much that you can "find" on each planet except for a structure or two directly adjacent to a landing spot.

It's not like Skyrim/Zelda at all where you can find a structure, discover/loot it, and just go in a random direction and find another thing to do.

Planets are mostly barren and empty, which....kinda makes sense.
DallasTeleAg
There's just as many scripted encounters or static created outposts scattered across the Galaxy to find, as there are locations in those games.

I don't really understand this criticism. Do you expect them to build millions of custom locations across thousands of planets?
BadMoonRisin
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

There's just as many scripted encounters or static created outposts scattered across the Galaxy to find, as there are locations in those games.

I don't really understand this criticism. Do you expect them to build millions of custom locations across thousands of planets?
You don't understand only being able to walk on planets instead of having some sort of surface vehicle to use for exploration is a valid criticism?
Breggy Popup
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

DallasTeleAg said:

You don't understand only being able to walk on planets instead of having some sort of surface vehicle to use for exploration is a valid criticism?
That was not the criticism he was addressing was it?
BadMoonRisin
AG
They could have done a better job procedurally generating either more things closer to the landing sites, or further apart with a vehicle was my point. Have you gone >2-3K meters away from a landing site? Doesnt seem to be much out there, unless I just have to keep walking further.
spieg12
AG
Quote:

It's not like Skyrim/Zelda at all where you can find a structure, discover/loot it, and just go in a random direction and find another thing to do.

Planets are mostly barren and empty, which....kinda makes sense.

My experience has been things keep popping up no matter where you go. I went to a structure 1500m away from landing site, then set off in a different direction and new stuff kept popping up.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Artorias said:

AgDev01 said:

Artorias said:

76 was a train wreck on launch, both stability/bugs wise and game design wise. I went back and played recently, and it has gotten A LOT better. When the game first launched I played for about 30 hours, and 95% of my time felt like scavenging for food/drink/meds to keep from dying. It was not fun. They have toned that stuff WAY down now where it isn't so punishing.

Playing Starfield actually strangely made we want to go back and play Skyrim... again. And I did. And it is still fun. I played a full magic build this time - previously played the obligatory stealth archer/thief, and a melee/restoration "paladin" build. When I think about wanting to play through Starfield again, I am not sure it will feel/play any different. Doesn't seem like there is as much opportunity for variety in builds/gameplay

I guess I'll be the contrarian here (and I don't really expect this to be a popular take). I've always hated the different build structure of Elder Scrolls. It always makes me feel like I could have built my character better to make the game more fun. It's just too many options. So I like that this is more like AC or RDR2, where you can build on certain skills, but you are still essentially the same character regardless of your look.
jr15aggie
AG
I personally love the game, but I do understand the complaint with the generated planets. It was obviously a necessity, but there should be more custom built planet areas. Why not take more care with the specific landing sites they know you will be visiting via quests?

I'm thinking about Skyrim and the beautiful forests, mountains, rivers, water falls, etc. I've played 60+ hours and I really haven't seen any of that. It feels like there are maybe a dozen different templates and they all start to feel the same with little-to-none hand crafted elements.

I love the isolated feeling of a moon and the generated planet is perfectly fine in those scenarios. But it would have been nice if they had done more to hand craft some really beautiful and memorable areas to explore outside of the main cities!
Breggy Popup
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

They could have done a better job procedurally generating either more things closer to the landing sites, or further apart with a vehicle was my point. Have you gone >2-3K meters away from a landing site? Doesnt seem to be much out there, unless I just have to keep walking further.

I understood it.

I think the procedural generation gives a fairly good mix. Sometimes I land and there are multiple POIs within 500m. Sometimes the closest is 1km+ away.

I agree that having some way in the crafting menu to be able to build a rover would be great. Or have a rover module addable to your ship.
jabberwalkie09
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

I've run across colonists, drilling sites, abandoned mines, and the like but nothing really amazing. I do agree that having to walk/jump pack for 1-1.5km is annoying but those are generally the times I end up doing an entire survey of a planet or finding a unique feature. I've found just going in a loop back to the ship basically is the normal design for the features.
dcaggie04
AG
So I just got hailed by a ship telling me they have been trying to contact me about my ship's extend warranty.
Breggy Popup
AG
dcaggie04 said:

So I just got hailed by a ship telling me they have been trying to contact me about my ship's extend warranty.

Have you had the tour group asking questions yet? That one had me rolling.
dcaggie04
AG
Bregxit said:

dcaggie04 said:

Have you had the tour group asking questions yet? That one had me rolling.

Yeah, I had that one too.
zip04
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

BadMoonRisin said:

I've run across colonists, drilling sites, abandoned mines, and the like but nothing really amazing. I do agree that having to walk/jump pack for 1-1.5km is annoying but those are generally the times I end up doing an entire survey of a planet or finding a unique feature. I've found just going in a loop back to the ship basically is the normal design for the features.
The vast amount of planets makes it very easy for them to release DLC later without having to affect any of the current populated planets.
wangus12
AG
dcaggie04 said:

My favorite so far has been a lone Scottish trucker singing a sea shanty

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.