Starfield from Bethesda

69,352 Views | 842 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by jr15aggie
DallasTeleAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Agreed. Would have mich preferred something similar to word walls in skyrim.

It's a grind to go to all the temples. I hate any form of grinding, and that kind of repetitive grind with no real fun gameplay is the worst.
jr15aggie
AG
I think part of the problem is you don't even discover the temples in fun/interesting ways. So far, for me, everything about them is the exact same. Talk to Vladimir, more locations pop up in your quest log, go to temple, & repeat.

It's a good thing the rest of the game is so good because the artifact gathering / temple hoping, which is the main driving force of the main plot, is easily the worst part of the game.
Breggy Popup
AG
Yes the temples got stale quickly. Something like following the scanner, finding the anomaly spot and having to solve some puzzle that makes the temple form or appear would have been cool.
nomad2007
AG
Temples were boring and tedious.

I enjoyed the "Survey random planet" and "Find Crystalline Structures on one of the 9 planets and 20 moons in random solar system" missions more than getting the temples.
Teslag
AG
Anyone still playing this?
jeffk
AG
Yeah, I'm getting a couple hours in a few times a week. Can't devote much more than that to it at the moment, so I'm pretty far behind pace.

Fun game but not as immersive as some of the FO titles or Oblivion (for me).
wangus12
AG
Still playing. Still have barely touched any major faction lines. Just get distracted going from system to system. Spend a lot of time ship building and outpost hunting
BTHOthatguy
Still playing. Still loving it.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I just finished vanguard plotline, going to finish up the main story now.
AgDev01
AG
I put it down when Phantom Liberty was released. Enjoyed my first play-through and still have tons of stuff left to do when i eventually pick it back up. Going to wait for some DLC and the creation kit to be out before returning.
DallasTeleAg
AgDev01 said:

I put it down when Phantom Liberty was released. Enjoyed my first play-through and still have tons of stuff left to do when i eventually pick it back up. Going to wait for some DLC and the creation kit to be out before returning.
I enjoyed Starfield a lot, and finished the main quest and SecDef questline.

On Monday, I just had the urge to start a new playthrough of Cyberpunk to play patch 2.0 and Phantom Liberty.
Thunder18
AG
wangus12 said:

Still playing. Still have barely touched any major faction lines. Just get distracted going from system to system. Spend a lot of time ship building and outpost hunting

I've gone the opposite route. Finished the Freestar Rangers faction earlier this week and got a super sick reward for it, but I have spent almost no time on outposts or ship upgrades
canadiaggie
AG
Went back to Baldur's Gate, although I put in two hours or so a week.
jr15aggie
AG
Teslag said:

Anyone still playing this?

It's been out barely a month... yeah... there are still a couple people still playing it!

For me personally, October is my scary movie & scary game month. Currently starting Restident Evil Village and got a handful of movies to watch so Starfield won't get much of my free time until November.
maverick2076
Still playing. Started my first NG+ play through this past weekend. Decided to do the full main quest again, but haven't hardly touched it. Played through a faction and companion storyline that I didn't touch the first time around.
Vince Blake
Still playing. My main game at the moment. Actually really liking it the more I get into it. At some point, I want to get into ship building and recreate the Rocinante from The Expanse.

Artorias
AG
Last Starfighter "Death Blossom" or GTFO!

Eliminatus
AG
So just curious now that everyone here should have some solid time on it.

What is the final verdict after everything is said and done and experienced? Scale of 1-10, 10 being GOTY level.

I'm looking for Skyrim in space. Does this even get in the ballpark? Don't feel like watching/reading hours of reviews. I trust yall.
DallasTeleAg
It is not Skyrim in space.
Troy91
AG
If you just land on a planet and walk around, it is a completely different game than if you just land in big cities and complete quests.

It is a game that I will play for a long time.
Vince Blake
I would give it a 7 as is with the potential to go up to an 8 or 9 with updates and mods.
wangus12
AG
Vince Blake said:

Still playing. My main game at the moment. Actually really liking it the more I get into it. At some point, I want to get into ship building and recreate the Rocinante from The Expanse.

This dude has made some legit builds of famous ships

wangus12
AG
Solid 8.5 for me. Love the exploration and the ship/outpost building. Still haven't completed any main/faction storylines. Do wish there were some more variety in proc quests.

My playtime usually goes from getting on -> start quest -> go to planet/system for quest -> get distracted and explore planet -> find another quest/task -> End up distracted and flying somewhere else exploring another planet -> Go work on building my outpost -> hijack some random ship and mess with ship build -> turn off Xbox having never finished the quest that I'd started on in the first place.
Teslag
AG
I built an entire outpost and then wondered why I built an outpost.
jr15aggie
AG
Teslag said:

I built an entire outpost and then wondered why I built an outpost.

That's where I'm at with some of that stuff in the game. They don't really do a great job of dangling an attractive carrot that I can't help but chase.

The game is still great, having a blast with it, but there is little motivation to do some of the extra stuff you can do. I have plenty of cash to buy resources if needed. The ship building is the only big draw for me because it's cool and something you will definitely use all the time.
DallasTeleAg
I would give the game a 7.5/10.

Definitely enjoyed it, and think the questlines are some of the best Bethesda has done since Oblivion. However, I also think it's a great canvas to eventually add so much more to the game.

I took a break after about 70 hours of game play to start a new game of Cyberpunk, so I could play patch 2.0 and Phantom Liberty (Loving this play-through, btw. Cyberpunk may be my favorite FPS combat in any game).
zip04
AG
That is exactly how I feel.
wangus12
AG
Guess I really need to go back and play that game.
TexAgBolter
AG
Ok, this has happened a couple times and cracks me up. So, unlike other ships, you can walk in front of the pilot's seat on the Starborn ship. Well, for unknown reasons, I've had crew members randomly walk in front of the seat while in flight. Sarah has literally stood there glaring at me while I'm in combat. It's startling when you are flying around in space and suddenly someone is standing in your field of view. lol.
BadMoonRisin
AG
7/10 for me. Entire game is mid. I could even give it a 6/10 due to all the hype it had coming out like it was going to be the greatest game in history -- when in reality it's not even top 10 this year.

I spent more time playing Dave the Diver than I have Starfield.

I ditched this game after about 20 hours to play BG3, which is the real GOTY.

Will I be back? Of course I will... when the game is actually finished.
joshagof11
AG
7/10 for me.

I've gotten about 80+ hours out of it and am honestly kind of bored at this point. It doesn't feel to me like a game that could be played indefinitely and put in major hours like I did with Fallout and Elder Scrolls. It will need more for that.

Though to be fair I never tried to build an outpost because while they look/seem cool the tedium of getting together the resources to do so put me off of it. Then it just becomes a small resource management thing. I've done all the main and faction questlines except for UC Security. It kind of feels... not good to be able to do everything on one character - for me to do the entire Crimson Fleet questline and become one of their best Pirates and then turn around and be able to do the Rangers questline as if I haven't been an evil SOB for so long and turned against SysDef just kinda pulls me out of being enmeshed in the world.

I'm also not big on planet exploring. I like visiting ransom POIs in space and on planets but a lot of the planets have felt the same to me and so I don't do much wandering because I get bored. And I have no desire to go mining resources on planets for things, so if that's your thing more power to you.

So I guess while I admit I'm leaving out a few big points of the game (aimless exploration and outpost building) it still feels like I've done most of what I can do. I married Andreja but I'll be damned if I'm gonna do NG+ and do everything all over again because that just feels lame. I get why they have it in but if I want to start over I'll just make a new character.

But overall I will say what I have played and got out of it I have really enjoyed. Some of the best stories and writing I've seen from Bethesda. But a lot of the game still feels static and kind of stale/lifeless, despite the expansiveness of the map/game. Idk how to put it eloquently lol but that's my take.
jr15aggie
AG
I definitely agree on the repetition part of it.

- Repetitive planets. Ice planets all look / feel the same, same goes for desert planets. Even inhabitable planets only have a handful of different varieties.
- There are 3 or 4 distinct outposts that I've seen at least 3 or 4 times each on different planets... as soon as I open the door I know the exact layout of the building.
- The "powers" temples are all the same

It definitely kills the exploration spirit of the game when, after 40 or 50 hours, you've pretty much seen it all.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Been reading this thread over the last few days. Huge Bethesda fan. I have several hundred hours into Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim on both Xbox and PC, but never really got into Fallout.

I'm looking forward to trying this out. Unfortunately, my 2014ish PC build will be worthless. I need to build a new one between this and the Harry Potter game.
Artorias
AG
Never expected to say or think this but...

Fallout 76 is better than Starfield

Granted, F76 has had years of updates, so we will see where Starfield ends up over the next few years of fixes and content updates.
n_touch
Artorias said:

Never expected to say or think this but...

Fallout 76 is better than Starfield

Granted, F76 has had years of updates, so we will see where Starfield ends up over the next few years of fixes and content updates.
Never played 76. Mostly since it is a multiplayer game and I just like to do my own thing. Love Fallout 4 and still play it on the reg. Is 76 worth the play?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.