Starfield from Bethesda

69,364 Views | 842 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by jr15aggie
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
To be fair, Bethesda has 2 of the most popular IPs on the planet in Fallout and Elder Scrolls. They've been working on this game since before they were acquired by Microsoft. Its also why Microsoft went out and bought Bethesda. It finally gives them an accomplished developer making games just for them like Elder Scrolls VI and the next Fallout. They haven't really had that since Bungie left.
canadiaggie
AG
wangus12 said:

To be fair, Bethesda has 2 of the most popular IPs on the planet in Fallout and Elder Scrolls. They've been working on this game since before they were acquired by Microsoft. Its also why Microsoft went out and bought Bethesda. It finally gives them an accomplished developer making games just for them like Elder Scrolls VI and the next Fallout. They haven't really had that since Bungie left.

Yeah. I'm sure that was MS's logic. They haven't really been able to develop a great IP as of late, Gears and Halo sputtering. They needed a win so they went out and bought one. That's not a judgment on MS either. I don't think they had a studio capable of delivering such quality 1st party stuff until their recent acquisitions.

n_touch
Im a huge Fallout fan. Is Elder Scrolls worth it?
Project Gemini
AG
It was openly talked about in the merger case

And to the above poster, FO is great for me, never got much into ES
jr15aggie
AG
I don't think Gears is sputtering. Gears 4 was ok but 5 was a really great AAA shooter and so was the Hive Busters expansion. Gears 6 gonna be huge with Unreal Engine 5.

But yeah, Halo needs help. Probably my favorite gaming franchise, but I'm not sure where else they can go with it.
jr15aggie
AG
Project Gemini said:

It was openly talked about in the merger case

Yes it was. Sony wanted to buy Starfield exclusivity. MS said "The F* you are, we're buying the whole damn company".
wangus12
AG
Yep. And I want to say Xbox also offered to bring Xbox gamepass to PS at one point in exchange for access to their exclusives and got shut down.

I own both so it doesn't bug me too much, but man I hate exclusives in general.
Breggy Popup
AG
n_touch said:

Absolutely.
C@LAg
going to throw this out, but I got invited to a 3 hour hands-on event/pre-launch party at MS HQ for next Saturday Aug 26. WHich means lots of free themed swag.
jeffk
jeffk
AG
jr15aggie said:

But yeah, Halo needs help. Probably my favorite gaming franchise, but I'm not sure where else they can go with it.

I liked the idea of Infinity but man, the execution was rough. You couldn't even replay story missions for like two years. I wonder if they'd consider making another non-Master Chief title. ODST was a really fun game and a nice change of pace story-wise even though a lot of the mechanics were the same.
jr15aggie
AG
Looks like there is one non spoiler early impression from a reputable source floating around. They aren't really supposed to talk about anything, but I'd expect to see a lot of these soon.

This guy basically said the game starts off slow as to not overwhelming the player. But ultimately you get a bit overwhelmed because the game is just huge. But after a few hours it really takes off.

Said no noticeable bugs after 15 hours. Didn't specifically say if he loved the game or hated it, but you get the impression the game is awesome.
YouBet
AG
n_touch said:

Hell yes. Currently doing a second playthrough of Skyrim after a 10-year hiatus. Only game I've ever done a second playthrough with.
jr15aggie
AG
Forgot to add to my comments above... the guy was really impressed with the visuals. He didn't get into specifics, but I'm really hoping their lighting model (which they bragged about in the dev direct) really shows out.

The only other comment I've heard regarding non spoiler specifics is the launch version of Starfield is version 1.6.something. For comparison, Fallout 4 was something like version 1.1.1. So it appears they really have spent this extra year polishing, testing and fixing multiple builds of the game.

So far, all appears very positive
Average Joe
AG
I'm curious how my PC is going to handle this. Running a 5600x and 2070 Super. Only 1080p monitors, so that will be the first upgrade. I'm hoping I can still hit 60+ fps on 1440p without having to upgrade anything else right away.
tk for tu juan
The install is 128GB on XBox Gamepass, definitely worth pre-installing it before the release
wangus12
AG
This former Blizzard developer is really reaching with this one lol.

bluefire579
AG
Has he not seen Skyrim's start screen?
Average Joe
AG
I love the crisp, clean look of the start screen. If I had any criticism, it would be the font of the menu portion, but if it matches the font of the menus in game then I like it.

WoW and Diablo 2 login screens were nothing special. That dude is looking for things to complain about.
javajaws
AG
It's clean, minimalist, and modern. I like it and don't think it's because of any shortcuts.
jr15aggie
AG
I'm at the point where I don't want to play anything else in my library... ready for this sucker to launch already!!!
DallasTeleAg
Google seems to be okay with a minimalist main page...

That guy is grasping at straws. Sounds like he got rejected by Bethesda for work.
Madmarttigan
AG
That is the dumbest complaint I've ever heard
Formerly tv1113
DallasTeleAg
I already took the 1st and 5th off. Gonna be on a binge that entire labor day weekend.

I'm hopefully optimistic that Bethesda learned from FO76, and based on them delaying the game for nearly a year. Bethesda games have been my favorites since I played Morrowind back in 2004. Can't wait.
jr15aggie
AG
I probably won't take off on the 1st, but I own my own business so leaving out early that Friday is pretty much a guarantee.

I'm just hoping my wife doesn't make out of town family plans for that weekend! No way I'm arguing or saying no so I can play a video game... but we've had multiple vacations / get-aways this summer so surely we are just staying home or hanging out with local friends that weekend.

PS: I'm 45 years old and my parents (in their 70's) just gave me $100 for my birthday! That's so funny and awesome/sweet at the same time. Will be using that cash for an Xbox gift card which will then purchase the Premium Edition. Was most likely going to get it anyway, but now I can let my folks know how many hours of entertainment I'm getting from their gift!
wangus12
AG
Quote:

I'm just hoping my wife doesn't make out of town family plans for that weekend! No way I'm arguing or saying no so I can play a video game... but we've had multiple vacations / get-aways this summer so surely we are just staying home or hanging out with local friends that weekend.
Lucky you lol. I'll be playing the night of the 31st, but we're "unfortunately" taking my parents and family on an Alaskan cruise starting September 1st that we've had planned since the end of last year. So I'll be getting like a 6 hour tease and then have to wait over a week to play it again
jr15aggie
AG
wangus12 said:

Quote:

Lucky you lol. I'll be playing the night of the 31st, but we're "unfortunately" taking my parents and family on an Alaskan cruise starting September 1st that we've had planned since the end of last year. So I'll be getting like a 6 hour tease and then have to wait over a week to play it again

Gamepass Ultimate with cloud gaming... Bring a controller... find a good wifi signal for your cell phone/laptop/tablet... profit!
YouBet
AG
jr15aggie said:

I probably won't take off on the 1st, but I own my own business so leaving out early that Friday is pretty much a guarantee.

PS: I'm 45 years old and my parents (in their 70's) just gave me $100 for my birthday! That's so funny and awesome/sweet at the same time. Will be using that cash for an Xbox gift card which will then purchase the Premium Edition. Was most likely going to get it anyway, but now I can let my folks know how many hours of entertainment I'm getting from their gift!
Lol. My 80 yr old parents would yell at me if I told them I spent their $100 gift card on a video game.
BadMoonRisin
AG
No Man's Skyrim
wangus12
AG
Average Joe
AG
wangus12 said:

Noooooo!

I can't get hyped. I can't get hyped. I can't get hyped.
wangus12
AG
Save yourself if you can. Its too late for me. I can't remember the last time I was this pumped about a game.

wangus12
AG
Also it was confirmed by one of the devs today on Twitter that you can indeed walk around the whole planet if your heart so desires. I know a lot of people were skeptical of that being able to happen
zip04
AG
jr15aggie
AG
wangus12 said:

Also it was confirmed by one of the devs today on Twitter that you can indeed walk around the whole planet if your heart so desires. I know a lot of people were skeptical of that being able to happen

This is great news... the ability to explore way off into the distance makes it feel like an open world. But ONLY if you are able to summon your ship remotely because having to walk back afterwards would be terrible.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.