Starfield from Bethesda

69,468 Views | 842 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by jr15aggie
BadMoonRisin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So is this just pre-order bait? What's the advantage to loading a game on your console/PC 1-3 weeks before you are able to play it?

I have a gigabit connection, If i read the reviews on launch day and the game doesnt suck and is not full of bugs, I can download it in a matter of minutes. If it does suck, I can wait.

I guess I dont see the point? Can you flex to nerd friends you downloaded it 3 weeks early?
canadiaggie
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

So is this just pre-order bait? What's the advantage to loading a game on your console/PC 1-3 weeks before you are able to play it?

I have a gigabit connection, If i read the reviews on launch day and the game doesnt suck and is not full of bugs, I can download it in a matter of minutes. If it does suck, I can wait.

I guess I dont see the point? Can you flex to nerd friends you downloaded it 3 weeks early?

My understanding is you can play 5 days early if you preordered the premium edition. September 1st.

The three week preload is overkill, but the steam preload would let you have the game ready to play during early access on the first day.

zip04
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

Some pre-orders allow you to play 3-5 days early. It's also for people who don't want to deal with downloading it on release day, just jump straight in.
jr15aggie
AG
It actually launches Aug 31 (early access) depending on where you live.

Most games are launch when it hits midnight for your time zone, but Starfield is basing it on when it hits midnight in 1 specific territory. I believe it's a European time zone and they are ~6 hours ahead of us. So when it hits midnight there, it will only be 6 PM here and we can start playing.
rgag12
AG
Bethesda's track record is extremely suspect. Cautiously optimistic but definitely going to wait for reviews on this one. I've come a long way from blindly trusting Bethesda when FO4 came out.
bluefire579
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

Probably expecting enough downloads to potentially strain their infrastructure, so imagine this is something of a mitigation effort on that front. Also keep in mind not everyone has blazing fast internet.
canadiaggie
AG
jr15aggie said:

It actually launches Aug 31 (early access) depending on where you live.

Most games are launch when it hits midnight for your time zone, but Starfield is basing it on when it hits midnight in 1 specific territory. I believe it's a European time zone and they are ~6 hours ahead of us. So when it hits midnight there, it will only be 6 PM here and we can start playing.
No way? Best news I've heard all day.
wangus12
AG
Its dropping at midnight UTC time. So 7PM CT I believe which is great because I'll get a few hours in that night before leaving on vacation the 1st.

I do think its overkill to release the download this early, but there are also tons of people that will need hours to download a game this size.
jr15aggie
AG
I've also heard (via youtube videos) that there were plenty of nerds out there freaking out and claiming the game wasn't ready and that it would be delayed... all because it hadn't gone Gold and they hadn't officially announced a pre-load date.

Some people need to get a life.

fav13andac1)c
AG
rgag12 said:

Bethesda's track record is extremely suspect. Cautiously optimistic but definitely going to wait for reviews on this one. I've come a long way from blindly trusting Bethesda when FO4 came out.

This, also waiting to see what performance is like for NVIDIA cards.

The game looks incredible; I hope it is.
wangus12
AG
jr15aggie said:

I've also heard (via youtube videos) that there were plenty of nerds out there freaking out and claiming the game wasn't ready and that it would be delayed... all because it hadn't gone Gold and they hadn't officially announced a pre-load date.

Some people need to get a life.

I feel like going Gold shouldn't be a thing anymore. Almost everything is done digitally and they are constantly pushing patches to games. Who cares what the initial game is anymore
wangus12
AG
Also watch out for leaks. People are digging through the download files and finding a bunch of information now.
wangus12
AG
Reviewers have the game in hand and are playing now.

jr15aggie
AG
wangus12 said:

Prime0882
AG
jr15aggie said:

wangus12 said:

Looking forward to hearing some impressions/reviews soon. For whatever reason I really do not have any hype for this one since it reminds me too much of No Man's Sky.

Has there been a demo for this one?
canadiaggie
AG
Idk how I'm going to split my time between this and Baldur's Gate honestly.
jr15aggie
AG
At 45, I'm several years past the point where I get super hyped for video games and movies. Life's just too busy to nerd out the way I used to.

But I will say, I'm looking forward to this game more than I have for any game in a very long time. Growing up in the 80's, I pretty much loved any and all outer space sci-fi movies. I've always felt Hollywood could use more space exploration type movies.

Starfield, pre-launch, appears to be the perfect game to give me what I use to daydream about as a kid. I'll be shocked if I don't love this game and spend countless hours exploring it.
n_touch
Does this game have a storyline like Fallout 4 or is played out all online? I enjoy games like this but do not feel like having to be online to do so.
wangus12
AG
Its a single player game. No online or multiplayer. Think Fallout or Elder Scrolls in terms of game design or outline, but set 300 years into the future in space.
wangus12
AG
Closest thing we've gotten to a demo is a 45 minute systems breakdown. There hasn't been any continuous gameplay released

Average Joe
AG
The fact that this is going to be on game pass at launch is the biggest win. I really, REALLY, want it to be awesome, but when it's only going to cost a couple of bucks to try then it's not a huge loss if it bombs.
heavily intoxtricated
I might be in the minority here. I used to like the full-on open world games with hundreds of hours of content, but I'm pretty much over that at this point in my life. I am hoping this game is a little more pared down than the Elder Scrolls with a more focused narrative that drives the game along, closer to the Mass Effect games. That probably won't be the case, but that's what I'm hoping for.
javajaws
AG
As much as I like and prefer single player games, this just seems like it should be multiplayer. Still waiting to see some better demos/reviews before committing.
LeagueCityAg
AG
Really rooting for this game to be good. I've been looking for a reason to pick up a Xbox, and I'm leaning towards going with a series S to complement my PS5. Just been waiting for the right game to convince me.
DallasTeleAg
I don't know why you would be hoping for that. That is 100% not what this game is. It looks to be more open and vast than any game they've previously made.

They have specifically mentioned making a game that can be played for over a decade, like they've seen with Skyrim.
canadiaggie
AG
LeagueCityAg said:

Really rooting for this game to be good. I've been looking for a reason to pick up a Xbox, and I'm leaning towards going with a series S to complement my PS5. Just been waiting for the right game to convince me.
I'd wait for some Series S previews to come out before you buy it just for this game, just to make sure you don't get Cyberpunk'd.
n_touch
Guess I should read more before getting my hopes up. Did not realize this was a Microsoft exclusive. Hope they do not do the same with the next Fallout
heavily intoxtricated
DallasTeleAg said:

I don't know why you would be hoping for that. That is 100% not what this game is. It looks to be more open and vast than any game they've previously made.

They have specifically mentioned making a game that can be played for over a decade, like they've seen with Skyrim.

I'd be hoping for that because that's what I want. Bummer if it's that expansive.
Claude!
n_touch said:

Guess I should read more before getting my hopes up. Did not realize this was a Microsoft exclusive. Hope they do not do the same with the next Fallout
I've got some bad news for you. Microsoft owns Bethesda, so it's pretty likely that the next Fallout will be a Microsoft exclusive.
Average Joe
AG
Claude! said:

n_touch said:

I've got some bad news for you. Microsoft owns Bethesda, so it's pretty likely that the next Fallout will be a Microsoft exclusive.
And Sony will whine and complain about it right before running more marketing about all of their exclusives.
jr15aggie
AG
Everybody needs to remember... anybody can play this with Gamepass via the cloud (requires Gamepass Ultimate). Get a free trial and try it out.

Games like this (slower paced adventure games) usually play really well on the cloud. I definitely prefer gaming at home on the Series X, but I have beaten a few games via the cloud and its a good experience.

So if you are a PS only owner, you still have the option to play this game on other devices.
jr15aggie
AG
heavily intoxtricated said:

I might be in the minority here. I used to like the full-on open world games with hundreds of hours of content, but I'm pretty much over that at this point in my life.

I was there a few years ago. There were so many other games I wanted to play (specifically online / MP games) and games like Elder Scrolls were a huge time suck. Every time I found a new cave I had to go check it out!

But now I'm very selective in what I play. So many games are "been there done that"... I don't have a huge list of games I want to play anymore and I don't do much MP gaming anymore. I'm more than happy to get addicted to Starfield as my only game for a while.
jr15aggie
AG
Is everyone OK to talk about what we are hearing from loose lipped people with review copies? Or would we rather not?

I'm not suggesting any story or content spoilers, but rather passing along generic positive / negative impressions about the game.
heavily intoxtricated
If there's no story spoilers, I don't see an issue with it.
canadiaggie
AG
Average Joe said:

Claude! said:

n_touch said:

And Sony will whine and complain about it right before running more marketing about all of their exclusives.

I have both consoles so I'm not limited, but Sony has an excellent track record of developing IPs and fantastic games - MS not so much. I hope Sony starts developing a shooter to compete with CoD. Put Bungie in charge.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.