Starfield from Bethesda

79,798 Views | 847 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by flakrat
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have not followed this at all. May look up some reviews later and see what people really think. I'm about tapped out on diablo until they improve things a lot. Torn between FFXVI, BG3, and maybe this one right now.
jr15aggie
AG
heddleston said:

I'm not counting on it being a good experience early on, but hoping that maybe after a while (a year or so) they'll patch it and get it running on low settings at a "mostly" solid 30fps

Reviews drop at 11 central time today. But the word on the street is the game is solid and running extremely well on Xbox and PC. Microsoft delaying the game another year apparently paid off.

But, as you said, how will it run on your rig? One option you have is to get gamepass for a month so you can try it. If it doesn't run well at least you'll have a ton of other games you can play for the month.
jr15aggie
AG
Definitely going to be a really fun day watching YouTube reviews (I know a few guys doing non spoiler impressions/reviews) and getting to play later tonight.

I will most likely be dropping my own non spoiler impressions here at some point... I'll be shocked if it's not glowing remarks.
rangerdanger
AG
Is it wrong to hope BG3 or Starfield is selected as GOTY over TOTK so that Nintendo ups their game on the next Zelda? There's some real innovation coming out of these western studios this year.
Zombie
Just got my pre-order purchased in time for early release tonight at 7pm cst! I really cannot wait to see if it's worth the hype. I've spent hundreds of hours in skyrim and from everything I've heard, it's so much better. I'll be playing on a Series X on a 4K TV, so I'll let you know how it looks too.
canadiaggie
AG
rangerdanger said:

Is it wrong to hope BG3 or Starfield is selected as GOTY over TOTK so that Nintendo ups their game on the next Zelda? There's some real innovation coming out of these western studios this year.
BG3 might be game of the decade just under four years into it, tbh. It's really that good. DnD probably hasn't been this popular since its heyday, and it might actually be more popular now.
jr15aggie
AG
************ WARNING TO ALL***********

Reviews drop in 1 hour. Most of us have agreed to not post any story or specific spoilers, but we will definitely be talking about the game. If the reviews are bad, we will discuss.... if the reviews are mind blowing positive, we will discuss.

Most of the sources I listen to won't technically have a review, not near enough time with a game this size to give it a final grade, but impressions and discussions are incoming so time to check out if you want none of it. And obviously, anyone is free to start a spoiler free thread.
wangus12
AG
I'll be looking at a couple non-spoiler reviews. Just interested to hear a little bit more about gameplay.
easttexasaggie04
AG
All I really wanna know is "does it suck?"
easttexasaggie04
AG
wangus12
AG
zip04
AG
7/10 from IGN, a lower mark than I was expecting.

wangus12
AG
Will this make you feel better?

IGN USA: 7/10

IGN Brazil: 9.5/10

IGN France: 9/10

IGN Japan: 10/10

IGN Spain: 10/10
Post removed:
by user
wangus12
AG
Several of the big review outlets have been iffy since the pandemic
C@LAg
this is a good reviewer. he put in 144 hours of gametime.

Game sounds very solid.

not too spoilery, mostly location and other video, but there are some if you have been in a total blackout on the game, but a good overview. and done within bethesda's rules on what they can and cannot say.

love that first 2 or so minutes.

jr15aggie
AG
As I explore some reviews and impressions there are 2 big takeaways that I'm finding:

1. You'll enjoy the game more if you don't compare it to Fallout our Elder Scrolls. It is it's own thing. As an example, Skyrim is full of stuff you discover randomly (like caves).... but in Starfield, you are better served using the crap ton of quests to push you to new locations and discovery. Not to say that you can't explore on your own, because you can, but some of the better stuff is found while questing.

2. This was leaked pretty early after review copies were sent out, but it does sound like this game takes a few hours to really get going. There's a lot of ground to cover apparently. Again, not a good idea to compare to other Bethesda games that open up and say "here's the world, go do whatever you want". Starfield forces you down a path early on.

One last thought... sounds like the main story is pretty good and some are encouraging players to mostly focus on that. Apparently the game opens up even more after the main story is completed so it's advantageous to do that first before really diving into the faction storylines.
jr15aggie
AG
Thanks for posting that Review... probably would have missed that one.

He was really positive. And I'm pumped that most reviewers agree the sound and music are top notch. Sounds like he didn't make the mistake of expecting it to be space Fallout and is having a kick ass time with it.
zip04
AG
I never played Skyrim aside from creating a character and running to the first town, which I did last year after buying the game for next to nothing.

With that being said, my top 5 games of all time (in no particular order) would be as follows:

1. Elden Ring
2. Witcher 3
3. Baldur's Gate 3
4. Fortnite
5. Horizon Zero Dawn

Uncharted series, Red Dead Redemption 2, and Quake 1 (multiplayer) are very high on the list for me as well.
C@LAg
jr15aggie said:

He was really positive. And I'm pumped that most reviewers agree the sound and music are top notch. Sounds like he didn't make the mistake of expecting it to be space Fallout and is having a kick ass time with it.
he is one of the most complete and erudite game reviewers out there. you should add him to your watch list.
Cromagnum
AG
C@LAg said:

this is a good reviewer. he put in 144 hours of gametime.

Game sounds very solid.

not too spoilery, mostly location and other video, but there are some if you have been in a total blackout on the game, but a good overview. and done within bethesda's rules on what they can and cannot say.

love that first 2 or so minutes.

It's full of bugs, big bugs, just look at this MF bug right here. LOL

(He didn't quite say it that way, but that's my takeaway)
javajaws
AG
zip04 said:

I never played Skyrim aside from creating a character and running to the first town, which I did last year after buying the game for next to nothing.

With that being said, my top 5 games of all time (in no particular order) would be as follows:

1. Elden Ring
2. Witcher 3
3. Baldur's Gate 3
4. Fortnite
5. Horizon Zero Dawn

Uncharted series, Red Dead Redemption 2, and Quake 1 (multiplayer) are very high on the list for me as well.

I still haven't finished Elden Ring OR BG3. Sooo many games, too little time. And I'm building a racing sim setup on top of that!

But for the next 4 days (long free weekend for me) it'll be 100% Starfield! My wife has been warned - she said if she needed me she could fit under the desk! God I love that woman. Now if I could just get her to make me some cookies...
AgDev01
AG
Agreed. While i don't always agree with his reviews, i do feel you can always rely on his thoughts. he doesn't go bombastic or edgy for clicks, it is typically always an evenhanded thoughtful take.
jr15aggie
AG
C@LAg said:

jr15aggie said:

he is one of the most complete and erudite game reviewers out there. you should add him to your watch list.

Already did... lol, I mashed that like and subscribe button!
jr15aggie
AG
Here's an interesting talking point. Heard it mentioned in a coupe reviews. The IGN guy even managed to put a negative spin on this which I found hilarious.

Apparently you can fast travel to other planets once you've been there. Makes sense and makes it convenient when you are in a hurry. The negative spin is that it kills the immersion to just select a location and "warp" there ... But, um, you can still do the whole take off, grav jump, land sequence (which they say is a treat visually and audibly) if you choose.

Just an interesting thought... Bethesda gets slammed if they don't include it to speed up travel time, but some still find a way to use it as a negative.

Me personally, I like the fast travel option if I'm short on time to play, but I usually prefer to take the more scenic route. I'll be doing the space ship thing a lot!
AgDev01
AG
jr15aggie said:

Just an interesting thought... Bethesda gets slammed if they don't include it to speed up travel time, but some still find a way to use it as a negative.

I can see why people might mention it, as ACG did in his though he called it a quibble and not a negative, but i also think it becomes a red dead type thing where bending over and rummaging though a body to loot is cool the first time but gets F***ing annoying 100 hours deep

I think If they made it to where you have go through the entire process each time the then you would see complaints a lack of QoL features from a lot more folks.

PeekingDuck
AG
I was trying to find the Eurogamer review since they are generally quite thorough and don't rush to 9/10s and it looks like Bethesda withheld their review copy initially. Kind of surprising for a title like this.

https://www.eurogamer.net/eurogamer-and-bethesda-starfield

Here's their technical take:

https://www.eurogamer.net/starfield-launches-as-a-polished-consistent-experience-on-xbox-series-x-and-series-s
bbattbq01
AG
Twenty minutes!
javajaws
AG
Work done...check
Lift weights to get the blood flowing...check
Fridge stocked with cold caffeine...check
Toast...I mean cookies made...check
Driver updated...check
Pre download...check

Lathspell
AG
7 minutes!!!
bbattbq01
AG
I preloaded to PC and Xbox… think tonight gonna do Xbox tonight then will hit pc tomorrow!

3 mins!!
javajaws
AG
Hmm...even though I pre-downloaded a few hours ago it just started a new 116gb download.
Project Gemini
AG
Steam downloads compressed and it is unpacking the files. According to the idiots on Reddit
Lathspell
AG
So it begins.
wangus12
AG
We are go for LAUNCH

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.