Starfield from Bethesda

69,450 Views | 842 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by jr15aggie
HossAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Claude! said:

Debating whether I should build a new machine for this. My current PC is just under the recommended specs I've seen...

I'm wondering whether recommended specs are for 30 fps or 60 fps. If it's 30 fps, I'd definitely go ahead and build a new one.
satexas
AG
satexas said:

Trailers do look killer.

No multiplayer I assume?

To answer my own question - confirmed, 100% single player, no plans for multiplayer.
Gonna have to flush the toilet, but that's one expensive poo.
HossAg
AG

I hate 30 fps. I hope my PC can push this game a lot higher at 1440p.
BenFiasco14
AG
All I had to see was the first 5 minutes. I'm in on day 1 and won't watch anything else.

Bethesda has been kinda hit or miss lately. Looking forward to this though!
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Claude!
Claude! said:

Debating whether I should build a new machine for this. My current PC is just under the recommended specs I've seen...

Update: judging by prices, companies are awfully proud of their video cards these days. I may still do it…who needs patio furniture?
tk for tu juan
Will just play the Xbox version, rather spend money elsewhere than build another PC. That may change in next year if Flight Sim 2024 cripples the current PC
AustinAg2K
Have they announced how long before a PS5 port? I assume a year exclusivity for MS? Or will it be permanent MS because MS bought Bethesda?
jr15aggie
AG
AustinAg2K said:

Have they announced how long before a PS5 port? I assume a year exclusivity for MS? Or will it be permanent MS because MS bought Bethesda?

This one will never hit PS5 in the same way Spider Man will never hit Xbox.
jr15aggie
AG
HossAg said:

I hate 30 fps. I hope my PC can push this game a lot higher at 1440p.

Agreed... I'm a huge 60 FPS snob now that most Series X games have a performance mode. IMO the smooth framerate always looks better than whatever visual flare they use for the 30 fps mode.

That being said, I can definitely forgive it for a game like this. Just as long as it's a rock solid locked 30 I'll get over it.

But, here's hoping they release a Series X Elite soon and this is the first game to get a 60 fps boost.
wangus12
AG
jr15aggie said:

AustinAg2K said:

We will finally have an IP not named Halo to make people jealous. And the Halo delays have long been gone.
MGS
jr15aggie said:

AustinAg2K said:

Maybe Sony will allow the PS5 to support streaming with Game Pass.
jeffk
AG
Fallout in SPAAAAAAACE

Sign me up!
bluefire579
AG
Claude! said:

Claude! said:

Update: judging by prices, companies are awfully proud of their video cards these days. I may still do it…who needs patio furniture?
The crypto craze really drove up prices. I ended up waiting about a year before finally being able to get a reasonably priced one to upgrade my own rig.
Average Joe
AG
jeffk said:

Fallout in SPAAAAAAACE

Sign me up!

It's fallout meets no man sky. 1000's of planets, space combat, own numerous ships, mine resources, build bases...

Seems like the RPG elements go pretty deep with this one compared to Fallout 4. Excited about that.
jr15aggie
AG
I think the most exciting/impressive thing for me is how they incorporated the power management system into space combat. This was made famous in the 90's with the X-Wing and Wing Commander games.

They could have very easily just done a basic point and shoot space combat simulator, but they went all in. You can even target subsystems of enemy ships to disable them... and then you can board them, kill them, and take their ship. That's some serious next level stuff! Elite Dangerous is a pretty deep and awesome space flight sim and even it doesn't go so far as to let you board enemy ships!

It's all just extremely impressive when you consider space combat is only 1 of several activities you will do in the game. Fingers crossed it doesn't take 2 years of patches to make it work the way it's supposed to!
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
I'm curious to see how robust their modding capability will be. They said there will be support, so I'm wondering if it'll be little stuff, or we we'll start approaching OASIS style planet mods.
DallasTeleAg
mickeyrig06sq3 said:

I'm curious to see how robust their modding capability will be. They said there will be support, so I'm wondering if it'll be little stuff, or we we'll start approaching OASIS style planet mods.
Have you played a Bethesda game? They are BIG supporters of the modding community, and pretty much give them access to do anything. I guarantee you modders will be releasing entire planets to explore.

For me, the issue is that 30 FPS. I really hope they did what Hogwarts legacy did, and give us a halfway option, which is what I chose and appreciated.
wangus12
AG
Friend of mine had a pretty good point about it. Trying to hit smooth 4k 60fps is hard for PCs. The custom PCs that do it cost well over 1-2k. Asking a $500 console to do it probably isn't realistic.

Sounds like console is definitely locked at 30fps according to Todd. PC will probably be able to do better
DallasTeleAg
wangus12 said:

Friend of mine had a pretty good point about it. Trying to hit smooth 4k 60fps is hard for PCs. The custom PCs that do it cost well over 1-2k. Asking a $500 console to do it probably isn't realistic.

Sounds like console is definitely locked at 30fps according to Todd. PC will probably be able to do better
Oh... i know that. I don't think anyone reasonable is expecting 4K at 60FPS from a console. I'm asking for a 2K option at between 45 and 60 FPS. Going back to 30 FPS is always such a chore.
jr15aggie
AG
Agreed. For the recent Plagues Tale they had a 40 FPS mode for people with 120hz tvs. Was defintely much nicer than 30.
HossAg
AG
Idk why anyone shoots for 4K. It's negligible on monitors and not nearly as noticeable on a tv as massive frame drops. I'd rather have 1440p with at least 60 fps. Kinda surprised they can't squeeze that out of a series X.
jr15aggie
AG
The frustrating part is devs can do this indefinitely, no matter how powerful the machines are. If they all agree that "30 is OK" when developemt starts we are going to keep getting games at 30 on consoles and mid range PC.
HossAg
AG
jr15aggie said:

The frustrating part is devs can do this indefinitely, no matter how powerful the machines are. If they all agree that "30 is OK" when developemt starts we are going to keep getting games at 30 on consoles and mid range PC.

It's also frustrating on PC games when we get awesome tools like DLSS, and devs just use it as a crutch to meet an acceptable frame rate rather than optimizing their game on its own so that DLSS can take it to a smooth 144 fps without being on the lowest settings. It's crazy that we keep getting way more powerful cards but games continue to look basically the same with no appreciable boost in performance.

That's obviously not a universal thing, but it's too common.
gman4455
Staff
AG
I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. I loved Skyrim and Fallout, but since then there have been many disappointing AAA game launches.
jr15aggie
AG
When this console generation started, 60 FPS was either the norm or at least an option in almost every game. But now, here we are again, devs are falling back into the same old habits of prioritizing all the "ooohhh shiny!" stuff and worrying about performance after.

It might take a Bud Light type of fiasco to put an end to it... what I mean by that is we need the perfect storm scenario where a big name game with a specific target audience plays the "30 FPS is fine" card and all the nerds unite and say "The Hell it is!!!!".

I don't think Starfield is that game. It's a slow paced enough game and something so big / different that it will get a pass like many other games.
jr15aggie
AG
Back on the positives of the game... I'm very impressed with their attention to details considering how many different things this game is doing all the time.

The one that comes to mind right away is gravity. That opening gun sequence was fantastic marketing... the dead guy rag-dolling up an over the railing at about 3/4 speed told the entire story: "Oh crap, they are playing with gravity in this game!". The later details about how your character will float backwards in Zero G if you fire a projectile weapon was icing on the cake.
MGS
The funny thing is that Fallout 76 has a hires/60fps toggle in it's configuration on the Series X, I don't know why Beth can't do that for Starfield.
jr15aggie
AG
MGS said:

The funny thing is that Fallout 76 has a hires/60fps toggle in it's configuration on the Series X, I don't know why Beth can't do that for Starfield.

The stuff I've listened to claim that Todd Howard has said they have sections in the game that 40-60 FPS isn't a problem (even during combat), but it wasn't consistent so they decided to lock at 30.

But I'm with you... it would be nice if they could make a minimal effort to give us a mode that unlocks the framerate. A lot of us, me included, have VRR monitors/TVs... an inconsistent refresh rate isn't going to bother me that much.

The new Star Wars game is a perfect example... the performance mode frame rate is all over the place, but I still opt to play that over Quality mode. More often than not, it runs well and I prefer the smooth gameplay with noticeable dips over being locked at 30 all the time.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

mickeyrig06sq3 said:

Have you played a Bethesda game? They are BIG supporters of the modding community, and pretty much give them access to do anything. I guarantee you modders will be releasing entire planets to explore.

For me, the issue is that 30 FPS. I really hope they did what Hogwarts legacy did, and give us a halfway option, which is what I chose and appreciated.
They're big supporters, but it's a new engine, so you never know. Will they keep the freedom of Nexus, or will they try to lock it down via Steam Workshop. People have also pushed the capabilities of modding with Fallout and Skyrim. Early mods were just texture redo's, new weapons, etc. Now you've got mods like SimSettlements that basically add a game within FO4.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Speaking of mods, anyone here messed with Wabbajack?
bluefire579
AG
MGS said:

Fallout 76 was a last gen title converted into a Series X game, so you can do a lot more performance wise going up to better hardware. Starfield is a larger, more complex game using a new engine, which is going to strain that same hardware.

Performance is also something that typically doesn't have a silver bullet solution to it. It usually involves a team of engineers, tech artists, and artists making small changes in an attempt to reach certain framerates and maintain a memory budget while trying to not take away from the game, whether in terms of gameplay or graphics. There are a ton of things that can affect it, and it's always a negotiation between a lot of moving parts. And that's just for console; PC has the hardware and driver interactions that add a whole mess of issues to making a game run smoothly.
jr15aggie
AG
I listened to the full Todd Howard interview after the Starfield Direct. He was talking about one of his favorite moments while playing the game.

Said he landed on a remote planet & was minding his own business when a sand storm came in. Then a rogue ship landed through the storm, troops unloaded and started shooting at him. As he was fighting them, he ran inside their ship... and then the captain decided to take off and he was like "Uh, OK... I'm back in space again. Can that happen? That just happened".

Pretty awesome, but thanks for the spoiler TODD!!!!!!
wangus12
AG
The guy that did that interview got to play for an hour.

One his playthrough, he said he boarded a ship to take out the crew. He said the gravity on the ship kept going in and out. Like the gravity drive was failing. He said he'd be walking along, lights would flicker and then the drive would fail and he'd be floating. Then the drive would kick back on and he'd drop back to the floor.
zip04
AG
I'm having a difficult time not pre-ordering this game because I have high expectations for it, but I am going to try and hold off in case it turns out being to big of a project for them to pull off well out of the gate.
DallasTeleAg
I am so psyched for this game.

Buggy or not, Bethesda has been my favorite studio and has provided some of my favorite memories of gaming since I first bought Morrowind for my Xbox at 17. As I watch these videos, I keep going over what kind of character I want to be. I go between wanting to be the charismatic rogue/smuggler, ala Malcom Reynolds, to wanting to be a bounty hunter, to wanting to create a massive resource mining corporation.

I'm sure I can do a little of everything, but the replayability will eventually come in from wanting to go down different skill trees that boost my ability in several of these journeys.

This will be a day 1 game for me, and it's not even a question. September can't get here fast enough for me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.