Starfield from Bethesda

69,420 Views | 842 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by jr15aggie
DallasTeleAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah... I've realized this in a very long quest line. I think I screwed myself on the final battle because there are so many damn 18-34 level ships to fight, basically on my own. And I still have a class A ship. Gonna have to spend time building a new class B ship.
zip04
AG
Have yall completed the Mantis side quest? I don't want to give spoilers, but it is a good one to do.
spieg12
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Yeah... I've realized this in a very long quest line. I think I screwed myself on the final battle because there are so many damn 18-34 level ships to fight, basically on my own. And I still have a class A ship. Gonna have to spend time building a new class B ship.

Pretty sure we're talking about the same quest. I tried the battle about 8 times and resigned myself to coming back later after I had built a class B or C ship. Luckily I have done a ton of side stuff and not much main quest so i think that will help with leveling. I think the quest line was meant to be done gradually but it is easy to go all the way to the end and then be outclassed by everything.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Wow guys. This game is pretty dadgum cool. Im loving it so far.

92Ag95
AG
Question: Is Bethesda aware of what these next gen consoles are capable of? The graphics are no better than the original Mass Effect. Are they using 15 year old technology or something?
jr15aggie
AG
92Ag95 said:

Question: Is Bethesda aware of what these next gen consoles are capable of? The graphics are no better than the original Mass Effect. Are they using 15 year old technology or something?

I'm sorry but you are flat out wrong and your brain is telling you lies about how Mass Effect looked.

Granted, there are some areas (New Atlantis in particular) that don't look great in some lighting conditions, but for the most part the game is stunning. The amount of details and texture work for an open world is probably the best ever... only game that comes close is Red Dead 2.
BQRyno
AG
I do wish the faces were more polished.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
jr15aggie said:

92Ag95 said:

I'm sorry but you are flat out wrong and your brain is telling you lies about how Mass Effect looked.

Granted, there are some areas (New Atlantis in particular) that don't look great in some lighting conditions, but for the most part the game is stunning. The amount of details and texture work for an open world is probably the best ever... only game that comes close is Red Dead 2.
The also may potentially be limiting to leave room for people to start playing with mods without having to go buy some crazy expensive system to keep up.
92Ag95
AG
jr15aggie said:

92Ag95 said:

What platform are you on?
jr15aggie
AG
I will say, in general, the "next gen" (current gen) consoles aren't blowing anybody away recently. Not sure if it's still Covid / 2020 shutdown hangovers that we are seeing, but I haven't been overly impressed by many of the games that are being touted as next gen only games.

The recent Star Wars Jedi Survivor comes to mind... great game, but technically it was a mess. Their performance mode made multiple (obvious) graphical compromises and it still wasn't anywhere near a stable 60. Framerate was all over the place.

I will say it's one of the things I appreciate about Starfield... at least they made their concession for 30 fps (which sucks, but it's probably the smoothest 30 I've played in a long while) but they have nailed their 4K presentation. It's not perfect, but 95% of the game looks very sharp with no graphical fuzzies.
jr15aggie
AG
92Ag95 said:

jr15aggie said:

92Ag95 said:

Series X. My bad for making assumptions... I forget this is game that runs on many different PC rigs.

I'm sure performance varies if you are on PC and it very well might look sorta like Mass Effect if you are having to turn down some of the settings.
Artorias
AG
The planet environs look nice, but the space environs don't look as good as I was expecting. Bethesda has always been weak at character art.
jr15aggie
AG
Good video... most people will find at least a couple things they didn't know. I, for one, did NOT know about that chest in your room at Constellation HQ. I knew it was there, but didn't recognize it was infinite!

Artorias
AG
Didn't know you could cut pins to open those secure access doors. Will have to keep an eye out for that
92Ag95
AG
jr15aggie said:

92Ag95 said:

jr15aggie said:

92Ag95 said:

Series X. My bad for making assumptions... I forget this is game that runs on many different PC rigs.

I'm sure performance varies if you are on PC and it very well might look sorta like Mass Effect if you are having to turn down some of the settings.
Well, admittedly, I don't have much time in the game and this was my initial impression. Sounds like maybe I need to give it some more time. (edit: Series X as well)
jr15aggie
AG
Agreed that it doesn't 100% of the time strike you as really good looking. There are times that it's really really great... then at certain times of day the lighting makes some textures feel really flat. Some of the NPCs (the important ones) look really great... some of the filler NPCs look like crap.

At the end of the day the attention to detail is pretty fantastic and there are plenty of "wow" moments visually speaking. It's also one of the cleanest 4K presentations I've seen.
jabberwalkie09
AG
zip04 said:

Have yall completed the Mantis side quest? I don't want to give spoilers, but it is a good one to do.

The Mantis quest is really good. I liked the story and the gear you can pick up while doing it. Used some of the stuff for quite some time.
spieg12
AG
I don't even know what a Mantis is
zip04
AG
I've read numerous times the game doesn't really get started until you complete the main quest line, so I was focusing on that 100% until I got roped into a side quest that had an intriguing story line, and then I fell into another set of side quests, and now I'm just bouncing around doing side quests.....
Teslag
AG
Ran into the "failed to create saved game" bug and it deleted my last 3 days of saves. Lost a ton of progress
jabberwalkie09
AG
spieg12 said:

I don't even know what a Mantis is

When you're doing "The Old Neighborhood" mission, there is a data slate that you can pick up from one of the spacers/Ecliptic named "Secret Outpost" that will give you the mission. You're going to have to listen to the slate to get the mission.
jabberwalkie09
AG
zip04 said:

I've read numerous times the game doesn't really get started until you complete the main quest line, so I was focusing on that 100% until I got roped into a side quest that had an intriguing story line, and then I fell into another set of side quests, and now I'm just bouncing around doing side quests.....

As someone who completed the main quest line, I think the answer to this is both yes and no. Before you complete the main storyline, I'd really recommend making sure you go to all the different temples you can before you complete the main quest line. Plus this will give you time to be able to earn more skill points. Personally, I think the time investment to do those things is worth it before you complete the main quest.

I enjoyed the main story line quite a bit. However, what's really fun is stumbling into side quests.
Teslag
AG
If you are playing on PC look up the "failed to create save game" bug and make sure you take precautions with your saved file path. Some users reporting losing up to 40 hours of saves.
fire09
AG
There are multiple workarounds posted to fix this issue. Have you had success with any of them?
jr15aggie
AG
Curious if any other Xbox/Controller players changed the jump button from Y to A? It's the first thing I did after remembering that I can't stand Bethesda's default jump button.

I get why they do it, so that A can be your main "select" button, but seriously, who jumps with Y????
dcaggie04
AG
jr15aggie said:

Curious if any other Xbox/Controller players changed the jump button from Y to A? It's the first thing I did after remembering that I can't stand Bethesda's default jump button.

I get why they do it, so that A can be your main "select" button, but seriously, who jumps with Y????

*Raises hand*
RAT90
AG
I use Y to jump, since that has been the case in most games since the beginning.
jr15aggie
AG
RAT90 said:

I use Y to jump, since that has been the case in most games since the beginning.

Super Mario Bros says otherwise, chum!
jr15aggie
AG
Happy to see that this game plays REALLY well via Gamepass Cloud. I fired it up on my work PC and it played great. Obviously I much prefer to play at home in 4K with better sound, but it's nice to know that I have the option to log some time during my lunch break if there are misc tasks that need done.

jr15aggie
AG
And now we know why we can't get 60 FPS on consoles.......

Forum Troll
AG
Anyone playing on Series S?
RAT90
AG
Most <> all.
Teslag
AG
fire09 said:

There are multiple workarounds posted to fix this issue. Have you had success with any of them?

I can save now. But nothing worked to get saves back
BadMoonRisin
AG
Wait, how do I prevent this?
jr15aggie
AG
Really really annoying that any customization to your Spaceship (even mounting a new turret) results in every misc item moving into your ships storage.

Not only does it make the interiors more boring with the misc decorations being gone, but it's a pain having to sell or jettison all that crap.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.