Starfield from Bethesda

69,606 Views | 842 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by jr15aggie
jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Whelp, I think I went a bit faster in story progression than I anticipated.
jr15aggie
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Umm... not in my game. You sure one of yours isn't your companion? I have 2 crew and Sarah as my companion.

Ok you're right. Always thought the crew was limited to 2. But it's 2 + 1 follower.
jr15aggie
AG
Just found out you can shoot asteroids, even big ones, and they will blow up and give you resources. Use ballistics and missiles.
texsn95
AG
Is the carry weight and inventory management as bad as I've read about? Does it not show you the current weight you have? I'm offshore for another 3 weeks maybe so I haven't gotten a chance to play yet.
nomad2007
AG
texsn95 said:

Is the carry weight and inventory management as bad as I've read about? Does it not show you the current weight you have? I'm offshore for another 3 weeks maybe so I haven't gotten a chance to play yet.

Carry weight is low in my opinion but it is displayed. And there are plenty of storage and offloading options. The penalty for being over encumbered is reasonable and not massively restrictive either.
jr15aggie
AG
texsn95 said:

It's visible from the main character screen (lower right corner). From there you can go into your inventory and it's listed again at the bottom.

You do get incumbered easily, but a cool mechanic is that crafting stations and kiosk vendors allow you to pull directly from your ships inventory. In other words ,you don't always have to have stuff on your person's to sell it or craft with it.

So utilize your ship as your main pack mule.
Claude!
texsn95 said:

Probably one of the two biggest knocks I have on the game, but that's long been a struggle with Bethesda games, especially games like Fallout 4 or Fallout 76 that have a base-building mechanic.
jr15aggie
AG
Agreed it is a pain, but we do it to ourselves. Nobody is forcing us to pick up the crap that we do.

I've got 2 crates in my house, 300 kg worth of crafting stuff. I think I've crafted maybe 2 mods so far.

I'm not even using the stuff........... but one day I might!
Breggy Popup
AG
Unless something really stupid happens to make me hate the game, I feel like I may be playing this for months. Absolutely love it so far and I have barely gone anywhere or done anything. I just finished the first main quest with Sarah.

I am most definitely a side quest junkie lol.
RAT90
AG
I keep saying to myself, this first play through just do the main quest and beat the game. Then I keep saying, dang, I wish I had better weapons and skills. I will do this one side quest or explore this one planet to get more funds/resources/crap so I can upgrade stuff and level up.

Three hours later . . . maybe I should just stick to the main quest. I could have been finished by now. But darn, I really need a better suit and I wish I could pick locks . . .
DallasTeleAg
I'm enjoying the itemization. So many cool weapons, suits, helmets, and boost packs to pick up, and then modify.

The quests have been good, and definitely easy to get distracted for 2 hours when you were just going to a new world to find a piece for the main quest.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I accidentally misclicked and ended up away from where I was supposed to be. Ended up surveying a planet then going to the right place. Wasted a bunch of time but it was fun. It's interesting to have the weather in different environments/planets.
flakrat
AG
According to Steam, Starfield unlocks on Sept 5th, tomorrow.

I thought it was supposed to unlock on the 6th for us plebs
flakrat
AG
flakrat said:

Guess I heard wrong, Sept 5th at 8PM ET.

I know what I'm doing tomorrow night!
Claude!
flakrat said:

Based on time zone, I think. 7pm Central on the 5th.
jr15aggie
AG
Looks like I put a little over 40 hours into the game over the holiday weekend! Having a blast with Starfield!

I haven't done that level of gaming in 20 years! In fairness, I was recovering from Covid so I was off work... then the rest of my family got it so we all pretty much spent the long weekend in our separate rooms doing nothing. I lived/slept in the TV room so my wife could rest and I had myself a time!

Plus the Ags dominated a football game, what a great weekend!
Teslag
AG
https://www.pcgamer.com/starfield-fans-classic-ships/

mickeyrig06sq3
AG
So...final verdict? Polished enough to buy now, or should I finish BG3 and give Bethesda a little more time to refine it?

Edit: I've put more hours into Skyrim and FO4 than I care to admit, if that has any impact.
spieg12
AG
Way more polished than the usual Bethesda game. They must have spent the extra year just squashing bugs. In 33 hours, I have had exactly 1 crash to desktop and 1 bug that I had to reload a save for. I've seen maybe 3-4 visual bugs that didn't affect gameplay. This is also running with subpar hardware on a 1660 Ti.
BTHOthatguy
AG
I'm about 25 hours in. My only real complaint is the lack of local maps. Tough to navigate all these cities and settlements.

Minor complaint admittedly. The game overall is more than I hoped for.
Teslag
AG
Game is fantastic and worth it. I woudl echo the lack of city maps is a beating. You can navigate the stars but you can't provide a simple map on the information kiosks at least? A mall in 1980 did that.
Claude!
I've had a few hard crashes in ~30 hours of play, almost always when I'm fast traveling to New Atlantis. Couple of other visual bugs, primarily around inexplicable corpse ragdolling, but nothing gamebreaking.
Breggy Popup
AG
Agree with the maps comments. Even the "Ground Map" is completely useless.

I have had zero crashes. The only bug I have encountered was a follower being stuck between me and the cockpit when I boarded my ship once.
WES2006AG
AG
Glad to see a generally good reception for the game on here. I am moving so I haven't had a chance to dive in yet but I am excited to see what it has going on.
Artorias
AG
Is there a way to turn off the crew's random flavor dialogue? Half the time they are jabbering on the ship while I am trying to hear actual important quest dialogue. Thinking I might just unassign everyone from my ship and stick them in the Lodge where I don't have to hear them.
Cromagnum
AG
Compilation of pretty funny NPC fails.

TexAgBolter
AG
Weeeeeeeeeee! - Adoring Fan on random dust offs.

Cracks me up every time.
zip04
AG
mickeyrig06sq3 said:

So...final verdict? Polished enough to buy now, or should I finish BG3 and give Bethesda a little more time to refine it?

Edit: I've put more hours into Skyrim and FO4 than I care to admit, if that has any impact.

It's a great game. With that being said. I would finish BG3 because this will consume your time. I am in act 3 of BG3 and haven't gone back to it because of starfield (30 hours in right now).
Cromagnum
AG
Yeah, I bet everyone blows this dude out of the sky.

BadMoonRisin
AG

*lolpoors have entered the chat*

7pm CST launch for us lolpoors! LETS GO!
Teslag
AG
I bought premium to get 5 days early access while my son has had to watch and wait with his GamePass. He's learning a very valuable lesson about blowing his allowance on stupid **** prior to a release date.
dtkprowler
AG
Sounds like you never learned your lesson on wasting money on things you could have gotten for free through the gamepass...
BadMoonRisin
AG
dtkprowler said:

Sounds like you never learned your lesson on wasting money on things you could have gotten for free through the gamepass...

This is def a steam game for me, no question. I will play it for so long I would pay several times via gamepass than I would play for the game by itself. I still go back from time to time to play fall out 3 or NV.

Just didn't feel like dropping an extra 35 to get it early and I got to read if it's in a good state or not, which it sounds like it is.
jr15aggie
AG
spieg12
AG
If you think you'll be doing lots of space fighting in your ship, definitely take at least 3 ranks of piloting early. I went very far into a quest line that has a lot of space battles and class A ships just don't cut it when the enemy ships are level 20-50. Now I've got to go level until I can at least buy class B parts.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.