***TEXANS 2017 OFF SEASON***

229,867 Views | 2518 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TrillOBrien
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As the Texans venture into the off season, what's the news going on around the organization? Who's coming, who's going? Will Will Fuller learn how to catch? Why does Rick Smith still have a job?

Ryan34
AG
I'm not that worried about Fuller. His targets went way down as Brock lost confidence.

Braxton Miller is another story. I was excited about his potential as a slot receiver, but he was a complete non-factor this year. He didn't even have 100 yards for the season. 6.6 yards/reception.
Pahdz
Anyone listen to O'Brien's presser today? Very high on Reader. See, not ALL our draft picks suck
zgood10
AG
Bilbo had some interesting comments in the 2016 season thread
aTm2004
AG
Brock may be one and done?
zgood10
AG
Godsey is gone-sey
AgsMyDude
AG
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/brock-osweiler-contract-how-much-nfl-playoffs-houston-texans-new-england-patriots-tom-brady-worst-signings-011517

Quote:

s it that he passed the ball 40 times and averaged fewer than 5 yards per attempt? [He's thrown 40-plus times for fewer than 200 yards four times this year no player since 1950 (at least) has posted two such games in a campaign.]
mAgnoliAg
CFTXAG10
AG
Curious to see who is on the short list to replace him
W
AG
so the Texans have the #25 overall pick in the draft.

that sounds like best-player-available territory
CFTXAG10
AG
I don't know if Watson would slide all the way to 25, but if he was there would you take him?

I see a lot of mocks have Kizer and Trubisky ahead of him
oh no
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

I don't know if Watson would slide all the way to 25, but if he was there would you take him?

I see a lot of mocks have Kizer and Trubisky ahead of him
Mahomes might be there at #25.

See what you can give up for Romo for 1-2 years (go with Savage if you can't get him) and groom Mahomes!
MelvinUdall
I want nothing to do with a 1 read option QB coming out of college, we have one of those now in Brock that still hasn't been able to adjust to multiple reads. Find an above average pro style kid out of college that you can develop, Mahommes would be absolute disaster.
oh no
AG
It's not just progressions; Brock's delivery is beyond repair, IMO. ...and he and Savage are both essentially 50-55% completion guys; they can't throw the damn ball accurately to save their lives. They are Trevor Knight but slow.

I think Mahomes has the arm strength and release that is necessary and he's accurate. And watch his highlights; he steps up on the pocket, buys time, surveys the field and he throws a ton a fine deep balls. He's not all pre-snap read, quick read options, and quick throws.
Ryan34
AG
Watson threw a lot of INTs in an offense with minimal reads and a lot of underneath throws. Great athlete but he probably needs to sit for a while first.

I don't get the Mahomes love.

Petersen is really intriguing. Love his release. Considering that all the QBs are probably projects, getting him in the 2nd or so might be pretty appealing.
MelvinUdall
oh no said:

It's not just progressions; Brock's delivery is beyond repair, IMO. ...and he and Savage are both essentially 50-55% completion guys; they can't throw the damn ball accurately to save their lives. They are Trevor Knight but slow.

I think Mahomes has the arm strength and release that is necessary and he's accurate. And watch his highlights; he steps up on the pocket, buys time, surveys the field and he throws a ton a fine deep balls. He's not all pre-snap read, quick read options, and quick throws.

Understand, but it is still one read, I want a QB that was challenged in college to work through a progression and identify that open WR. I get that they may have other flaws, but I believe more and more that being able to work through a progression in college, pays off in the NFL a lot more quickly.
Ryan34
AG
Mahomes has great physical skills for sure, but IMO he's going to need a lot of work after playing in that offense and behind that atrocious OL.
Ag_07
AG
I'm interested to see Bill does with the OC position.

Hire someone who runs the same offense and give him free reign
Hire someone who runs the offense and let and Bill calls the plays
Hire someone who runs their own system and give him free reign

I just don't see Bill giving anyone free reign so I expect him to bring someone in who knows how to run his system (or something very similar) and Bill will be the play caller.
bilbobag
I think OB gives up control on this one. Will have input but that's it especially if it's one of the names I am hearing. Would be a home run hire for me
aTm2004
AG
Is Rick Smith needing boxes yet? I'll gladly take a vacation day and help him pack.
zgood10
AG
bilbobag said:

I think OB gives up control on this one. Will have input but that's it especially if it's one of the names I am hearing. Would be a home run hire for me

Spurrier?
bilbobag
I would guess that the Texans have this OC thing wrapped up by the end of the week..
Farmer1906
AG
Quote:

Will Will Fuller learn how to catch?
Nope.
cap-n-jack
Is Smith in trouble? Is there friction between him and BOB?
Given all, I actually think they've both done a good job. Not a popular view I know.
Olsen
AG
Everyone in the organization is staying put.
Farmer1906
AG
Good Aggie Hunting said:

Everyone in the organization is staying put.
Godsey just got fired.
JSKolache
AG
Trade JJ for a proven QB.
Ags #1
AG
Is it Kevin sumlin
Buck Compton
AG
God there are some awful opinions in this thread through only 27 posts. Trade JJ for a QB, sell out for Romo, Rick Smith has done a good job... I know some people spend less time following football, but how are these real opinions?

I expect to hear things like that from the LCD fan on a radio show that never graduated high school. Not from a group of supposedly well-educated people on an Aggie board.
Pahdz
I'm already sick of the offseason with this thread and the crap being thrown around in the other thread. Reminds me of the old 610 days when people would call in thinking the Rockets could trade Cuttino Mobley, Kelvin Cato and Moochie Norris for Kobe.
BMX Bandit
to echo Lance Z from this morning, what good OC is going to go to a situation with the worst starting QB in football?
MelvinUdall
BMX Bandit said:

to echo Lance Z from this morning, what good OC is going to go to a situation with the worst starting QB in football?

While that may be true, IF and it is a big IF, that OC was to come in and turn Brocks career around and that offense, he will have his pick of HC jobs to pick from.
k20dub
bilbobag
Talk show host are throwing crap against the wall to draw in an audience. Its all about the ratings.

Cowherd is very good at this
Pahdz
bilbobag said:

Talk show host are throwing crap against the wall to draw in an audience. Its all about the ratings.

Cowherd is very good at this
I'm well aware, I'm talking about caller driven radio from 2002-2004 Houston when I still lived there, where you'd hear some of the most ridiculous trade suggestions of all time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.